Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting read about China/hardware manufacturing

WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/4/17937210/bloomberg-china-microchip-hack-supermicro-amazon-apple-servers

If i am understanding this right,there is a massive risk of takeover and backdoor entry into systems designed over seas.
They implant a chip or chips that allow some business somewhere to access the hardware and bypass security.

As long as inflation exists so badly over here,businesses will keep buying and assembling over seas for way cheaper costs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Gorwe

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I'm trying to come up with a good response, but I can't think of one. I think the good news is most of the components in my machine are made in Taiwan, Malaysia, or South Korea. But... major companies that supply big businesses and data centers do use China. Just a quick list, Apple, HP, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google all use facilities in China.
  • Lisajohny543Lisajohny543 Member CommonPosts: 7
    Cleffy said:
    I'm trying to come up with a good response, but I can't think of one. I think the good news is most of the components in my machine are made in Taiwan, Malaysia, or South Korea. But... major companies that supply big businesses and data centers do use China. Just a quick list, Apple, HP, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google all use facilities in China.

Agree with you.
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Consider the differences between the two cultures.

In the US we fought a Revolutionary War to separate ourselves from a culture in which the people were subservient to the government, and our Constitution reflects the limits that the citizens impose on our government. Over a couple of centuries we have drifted some from that concept, but it still remains deeply ingrained in our culture. Our government is not intended to control our society by design. Which is why George Washington declined to be King. 

In China no such revolution has ever taken place. Even before the Communists the government was the Emperor, and the citizens served the Emperor. During the Warlord era the government (even the KMT) was the Warlord, and everyone and everything served the Warlord. Now the Communists are the government, and the citizens serve the Communists.

With no limitations placed by their citizenry on the activities of the government, the Chinese government can do pretty much whatever they like. Limitations can only be imposed on the Chinese government from an outside culture. 

The Chinese citizens have not yet had their moment of mass awakening, and the Security Services of the Chinese State are not about to allow that enlightenment. There may come a time when the State Security Services join the mob, as what happened during the French Revolution, however with economic ascendancy the Security Services live comfortably, so why should they bother?

Thus, (surprise, surprise) in China, everyone and everything serves the State.

Which is why they spy on their citizens, and spy on you. 

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    lol Grunty……

"Installing update 88%"

" Do not turn off your computer, the People's Republic of China is installing software updates"
    urfismylife
  • urfismylifeurfismylife Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 9
    lol Grunty……

"Installing update 88%"

" Do not turn off your computer, the People's Republic of China is installing software updates"

the most accurate quote i have come across this week, china is only waiting to know everything you have.