Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO: Nobody with Windows 7 can access the new marketplace

centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
And they have kept the game up.  People have been getting cheap mats and getting in line for the preorders, but a sizable class of users (everyone who uses windows 7 and some who use windows 10) can't use the marketplace AT ALL.  This puts those people at a significant disadvantage.  They have been "looking into it" for the past 4 hours and haven't said anything beyond that at all. 

You can't play if you can't sell anything or buy things. 

I don't think I have ever seen a game (and I have played a ton of them) keep a game up when 30% or more of the playerbase can't play the game.  When that happens the game comes down for maint until they fix it.
Gdemami

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I did see a fix circulating around the net:

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

:D 

SBFordmmoloukitaradAzaron_Nightbladealkarionlogdragonlee66Mikeha

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

Like I am going to go out, buy and update the OS on a whole computer because a game can't manage to do an update properly.  This could have happened where it affected everyone with win 10 and not people with win 7 just as easily.  That said some people HAVE done exactly that.  Microsoft should be paying pearl abyss. 

I know I will be stuck with windows 10 and forced updates and everything that goes along with their greater grasp on your bytes eventually, but this is an i7-950 with 12 GB (I did replace the video card -- it is a 1060).  If computers had increased in speed a ton over the past 7 years I would likely have gotten a new computer by now, but I am not going to try putting 10 on it.

alkarionlog
  • mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    edited February 2019
    centkin said:

So the only thing to do in game is buy or sell things......

Sure, it is inconvenient if you cant use the market, but you can still play the game and take part in everything else it has to offer.
    Gdemami
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    mmolou said:
    centkin said:

So the only thing to do in game is buy or sell things......

Sure, it is inconvenient if you cant use the market, but you can still play the game and take part in everything else it has to offer.
    Not really. 

My workers make things to sell on the marketplace.  They are idle -- my bank vault is full.

If I hunt, I will fill up with loot with nowhere to put it and nowhere to sell it.

I can't really play.  Even making my horse run around in circles I can't buy the good carrots, so the mount will just stop for half the time. 
    mmolouGdemami
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    centkin said:

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

This could have happened where it affected everyone with win 10 and not people with win 7 just as easily.  That said some people HAVE done exactly that.  Microsoft should be paying pearl abyss. 

Thus is where your argument went completely into left field.  The reason Win7 has trouble is because it lacks support for tools/libraries that BDO is now using.  These can only be specifically used in the new build of Windows.  This is a case of being stuck in the past and not updating, things like this will happen as technology evolves.  You have no excuse to stay on Win7 other than being lazy or not having the extra money to upgrade.  Because upgrading an OS is the simplest damn thing to do these days.  Any other point is moot, it's been proven Win10 is much more stable than Win7 at a kernal level so that's out the window (haha window).

Sucks when your game doesn't work, but until they make an exception library which might be as easy as adding the old include libraries in an if win7 kinda statement it's broken.  There is games coming out with zero support for win7 or won't even play on win7, new tech just won't allow it.

Azaron_NightbladeMikeha
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Unfortunately, the older Windows 7 gets, the more you're going to run into these problems.
    Compatibility is not guaranteed with outdated operating systems, especially once Microsoft stops supporting them. I haven't looked at whether they have or not, but... if they did, then you'd better get used to not being able to play a bunch of the new games coming out, no matter how good your actual hardware is. =/

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It doesn't support DOS 3.0 systems either. Stamps foot!
    Azaron_Nightbladedragonlee66
    To put it in perspective Win7 came out in 2009, just think about that for a minute.
    Mikehaalkarionlog
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,875
    Your choice seems to be simple, either upgrade or stop playing the game.
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    get a win10pro oem license for 25 bucks...
    alkarionlog

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

yeah you have a problem
    MadFrenchie
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    My first reaction would have been, just upgrade to Windows 10. However system requirements state Windows 7 or higher. Source

So I would have expected a hot fix within 2 hours or rollback to the previous version.

Hashbrick said:
    To put it in perspective Win7 came out in 2009, just think about that for a minute.
    and it works better then win 8, 8.1 and win 10

so do you have a point or is juat a ignorant who follow trends without knownledge of it?
    Malvious said:
    IF he live in us, if not well be used to pay over 300 for a license
    Unfortunately, the older Windows 7 gets, the more you're going to run into these problems.
    Compatibility is not guaranteed with outdated operating systems, especially once Microsoft stops supporting them. I haven't looked at whether they have or not, but... if they did, then you'd better get used to not being able to play a bunch of the new games coming out, no matter how good your actual hardware is. =/
    the game is outdated anyway so

Sharne said:
    Hashbrick said:
    centkin said:

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

This could have happened where it affected everyone with win 10 and not people with win 7 just as easily.  That said some people HAVE done exactly that.  Microsoft should be paying pearl abyss. 

Thus is where your argument went completely into left field.  The reason Win7 has trouble is because it lacks support for tools/libraries that BDO is now using.  These can only be specifically used in the new build of Windows.  This is a case of being stuck in the past and not updating, things like this will happen as technology evolves.  You have no excuse to stay on Win7 other than being lazy or not having the extra money to upgrade.  Because upgrading an OS is the simplest damn thing to do these days.  Any other point is moot, it's been proven Win10 is much more stable than Win7 at a kernal level so that's out the window (haha window).

Sucks when your game doesn't work, but until they make an exception library which might be as easy as adding the old include libraries in an if win7 kinda statement it's broken.  There is games coming out with zero support for win7 or won't even play on win7, new tech just won't allow it.

Whilst I do agree with the Windows 10 argument to some extent, some people don't want to upgrade or like you said cant afford to and this argument would be all well and good if the game was advertised as needing Windows 8 and above

However a quick google shows this link

https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210761169-System-Requirements

Which states that Windows 7 or higher is the recommended OS
    Not only that Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft until 2020, so Pearl Abyss needs to fix this shit.
    Support doesn't mean creating technology to run libraries built in new Windows builds. Support means security patches.  Big Difference.
    alkarionloggervaise1MadFrenchie
    Hashbrick said:
    Sharne said:
    Hashbrick said:
    centkin said:

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

Whilst I do agree with the Windows 10 argument to some extent, some people don't want to upgrade or like you said cant afford to and this argument would be all well and good if the game was advertised as needing Windows 8 and above

However a quick google shows this link

https://blackdesert.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210761169-System-Requirements

Which states that Windows 7 or higher is the recommended OS
    Not only that Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft until 2020, so Pearl Abyss needs to fix this shit.
    Support doesn't mean creating technology to run libraries built in new Windows builds. Support means security patches.  Big Difference.
    so tell me what did they created who could prevent the win 7 as a OS not work with part of the games, since the game was made using win 7 as supported? looks more like bad coding from pearl abyss then anything, should change name to pearl harbor since we are at it
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    edited February 2019
    All those saying upgrade to windows 10, I ask how the hell that helps those on w10 that can't use the market?

Seems to me OP has stated all w7 user AND some w10 users are affected...anyways they advertised and sold this game as w7 compatible so they need to fix their shite.....dunno why anyone plays this crap though tbh.
    Amathe[Deleted User]alkarionlog

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Hashbrick said:
    and it works better then win 8, 8.1 and win 10

so do you have a point or is juat a ignorant who follow trends without knownledge of it?
    Malvious said:
    IF he live in us, if not well be used to pay over 300 for a license
    the game is outdated anyway so

BS i can give you 3 sites where he doesn't pay more then 25 euros or any other currency he wants to pay with.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

edited February 2019

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

yeah you have a problem
    Someone is touchy about anyone criticizing their pet dinosaur.
    Malviouskitaradalkarionlog

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Joke all you want. OP is right. Telling a 35% market share to f#$% off on a feature isn't bright at all. Considering the game was in dev around 2010...

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Asm0deus said:
    All those saying upgrade to windows 10, I ask how the hell that helps those on w10 that can't use the market?

Seems to me OP has stated all w7 user AND some w10 users are affected...anyways they advertised and sold this game as w7 compatible so they need to fix their shite.....dunno why anyone plays this crap though tbh.
    My post was a tongue-in-cheek response that I knew was coming anyways in a not-so-tongue-in-cheek form.  You don't start off a thread what is essentially "Everyone using an OS version the industry left behind when Microsoft literally gave away their updated OS to folks are now having issues with a game!" and expect not to get at least a few "Well, you could always update your OS" replies.

I thought mine was rather lighthearted.
    SovrathmmolouAsm0deusalkarionlog

Joke all you want. OP is right. Telling a 35% market share to f#$% off on a feature isn't bright at all. Considering the game was in dev around 2010...

Does that control for how many companies might be using Windows 7?  Those folks aren't going to be launching BDO anytime soon, Win7 or Win10.  As of last year, a survey of IT professionals indicated roughly 40% reported the company still uses Windows 7 (https://www.itproportal.com/news/businesses-still-running-windows-7-despite-end-of-service-coming-soon/).  Those employees can, generally, surf the web from said desktops (I know I've never been in a job, even in the military, where the company-owned desktops couldn't access the web through a browser).

I couldn't find data that attempted to control for or delineate home users for personal recreation/business versus users on their work desktops.
    gervaise1alkarionlog

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Try turning it on and off again?
    [Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,381
    Asm0deus said:

My post was a tongue-in-cheek response that I knew was coming anyways in a not-so-tongue-in-cheek form.  You don't start off a thread what is essentially "Everyone using an OS version the industry left behind when Microsoft literally gave away their updated OS to folks are now having issues with a game!" and expect not to get at least a few "Well, you could always update your OS" replies.

I thought mine was rather lighthearted.
    No worries lol

Just thought it was worth pointing out that some w10 users are having this issue too.
    MadFrenchiePanther2103

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    Hashbrick said:
    centkin said:

1. Update to Windows 10
    2. Launch BDO.

I have a 4.5 year old Sager gaming laptop and one does not casually upgrade anything without risking a world of hurt.

I recall upgrading from Win 7 to 10 back when the free upgrades were offered and it didn't go well.

My sound card wouldn't work, I was getting random BSODs 2 times  a night, and Sager was no help as my laptop had not been tested  or optimised for Win 10.

They recommended upgrading to Win 8 (highest tested version) or falling back to Win 7 which is the path I took.

Perhaps it would go more smoothly today but why bother? If I run into a game I want to play which needs Win 10 I'll just go buy a new laptop. 

BDO like all other MMORPGs ran well on my laptop a few years ago, no need to upgrade, but if they wish to close out their game to what I guess is a fairly signicant portion of their player base it's their call.

[Deleted User]FlyByKnightalkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon