Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You have $250 million dollars that you have to spend on making movies/shows from games

13»

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member EpicPosts: 2,214
    I would make Killer7 into a zeven episode mini series Twin Peaks style.

I would also make a Beyond Good and Evil movie a la The Dark Crystal.

I would actually LOVE both.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member UncommonPosts: 4,136
    edited February 20
    aummoid said:
    I don't waste my $250 million making a movie based on a video game.
    Well ... pretty much this.

Making a $250 million movie, well movies like Titanic have proven that can work, but you need a Cameron to do it and you certainly need a very solid everything as basis, great script, great actors with lots of star power, great effects etc. It needs to be someting that speaks to everybody. Computer games fall into different genres and thus its not so easy to make something that speaks to everybody.

For example, why did I personally back then watch Titanic ? Because they had the prettiest loverpair I've seen in any movie. Now thats starpower.

Maybe I'd risk a Witcher movie. Again there would be many things required for this to work. Not sure about the budget, probably something like 10 million. It would be based on the books, though, not the games. Geralt wont be a womanizer, but in love with Yennefer, and they would look after their adopted daughter Ciri.

I might also be willing to spent on a Conan movie, even if the last Conan game was quite a while ago now (Age of Conan). Again I'd need to see a great script first. Something that covers the special magic of the original stories, by Robert E. Howard himself. Not the kind of garbage that all kinds of other people have done based on this ever since.

Theres no way I would ever invest into a The Elder Scrolls movie. Thats a huge world, but no clear protagonist, and only a ton of third class writing about it. Talk about arbitrariness galore, you'd have to invent everything yourself. Noooo thank you, I'm good.

Fallout, maybe. While there is again no clear protagonist, its a much better story behind it. The protagonist leaves a vault and has to find their ways in the varied world of Fallout, with known factions. I can see that that could be made into a good script.

Of course in this post I'm ignoring all the problems that will arise with who has actually the rights to any of this.

Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,483
    edited February 20
    Vampire: The Masquerade. Or pretty much anything published by White Wolf. Haven’t seen a Nosferatu since Salem’s Lot, though Daybreakers came close.
    Octagon7711

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 2,872
    I'd pitch an X-COM TV series -- aliens invade, humans react, serious acting but played for laughs.  Plenty of command decisions, semi-plausible scientific ideas, campy inventions, near impossible engineering challenges, etc.  It would be a mix of the old UFO series, Batman and Mars Attacks.  I'm sure I could sell this to the History Channel.

Remember the watchword:  Mars wants our women!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• laseritlaserit Member EpicPosts: 6,031
    Some of my RimWorld and Prison Architect games might have made for some good movies ;)

Palebane

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 7,823
    I'd take the money, leave to some paradise, and regularly send an episode of my new, rich life there filmed with a cinema quality 4K camera ;)
    Vermillion_Raventhal
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,471
    Palebane said:
    Vampire: The Masquerade. Or pretty much anything published by White Wolf. Haven’t seen a Nosferatu since Salem’s Lot, though Daybreakers came close.
    They did have a movie or short TV show based on the Vampire: The Masquerade, I think it came out in the seventies and don't recall the title off hand but I do remember enjoying it.

But still, I'd make another one. It would be awesome with current special effects.  :smiley:
    Palebane

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 3,764
    edited February 20
    A Fire Emblem animated series in the vein of Netflix Castlevania. Specifically, one based on Geneology of the Holy War, which is basically Game of Thrones x Fire Emblem.