Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How "carebare" is Eve?

AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
I heard Eve have places called High sec zone.  Is that a non ganking zone?

Also is it possible to completely stay in safe zone and not get ganked and enjoy myself?

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    EvE is the original carebear game

ScorchienKyleranMcGamer

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    AAAMEOW said:

Also is it possible to completely stay in safe zone and not get ganked and enjoy myself?
    I recall being in the safe zone and being killed. I have no idea how that happened. Happened twice actually.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Haven't touched it in years.

When last I tired it, it's not carebear. You will get spaced, you will get podded, and you will lose your ship and all your cargo. It's very frustrating.

The main issue I have with it is that I get bored. So boring of a game.

If you want to avoid pvp, stay out of 0.0 space.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     There is no safe place in Eve ............ Great game tho
    TokkenMcGamer
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Eve does not have 'safe spaces' the only time you cannot be ganked, is if you stay docked, as long as its not in one of the new player owned stations - Fortizars etc. as they can be attacked. In Eve you can sort of 'carebear' it, but its a game where you have to be aware that PVP can happen anytime and anywhere, so its a good idea to remain 'aware', even in high sec. Wardec's happen, high sec gank squads happen, some deliberately hunt miners that might be 'afk'ing' it, some probe down mission runners just for the hell of it, particularly if your flying a particularly 'shiny' ship, because the higher value ships sure do make great KM's and rack up the value of your Killboard for whatever Corp your in. Every time you undock, you take the risk of someone coming along and having a go, which is why the first rule of Eve is never fly something you can't afford to lose. The 2n'd rule being that if combat probes appear within 1 AU of you on your directional scanner, then its probably a good idea to leg it, high sec or not. Rule 3 is always use your directional scanner! :p
    KyleranTokken
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2019
    AAAMEOW said:

EVE is FFAPVP game - you can be attacked anytime, anywhere.

However, there is a robust aggression system:
    https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Aggression_101

You are given tools and it is up to you how much awareness you put into your safety.

EVE is what you make of it, literally.

Post edited by Gdemami on
    PhryKyleran[Deleted User]
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If Eve is carebear, then there must be some game where by comparison the second you buy it you die in real life.
    PhryKyleranTokkenstrawhat0981

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:
    AAAMEOW said:

EVE is FFAPVP game - you can be attacked anytime, anywhere.

However, there is a robust aggression system:
    https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Aggression_101

You are given tools and it is up to you how much awareness you put into your safety.

EVE is what you make of it, litteraly.

Totally this.  There are players who are extremely situationally aware, if not outright paranoid who manage to fly safe in high sec, never losing a ship across many years.

Me, not so much, either because I'm doing something risky, i.e. afk flying an expensive hull somewhere, hauling expensive cargo into major trade hubs in under defended haulers or not noticing the 15 ship "Code Fleet" jumping in system with me.

I eventually grew tired of all the extra vigilance for little reward and moved out to 0.0 many years ago.

I preferred having good intel networks and knowing that anyone jumping in system not blue is a reason to flee back to a safe station.

I lost less in 0.0 than I ever did in high sec, and had a greater peace of mind.

H0urg1assgervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Wargfoot said:
    I dunno, but having recently looked into this game I can say that I'll murder the next reviewer that calls it 'Spreadsheets Online'.

Buy a new joke already.
    Yea. It should be Google Sheet Simulator!
    dragonlee66
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The places in EVE which are potentially the most safe, are actually the most dangerous.

The places in EVE which are potentially the most dangerous, are actually the safest.

Why?

For one, it's the players that make a place safe or dangerous in EVE.  If you have a good strong community, an alliance that will quickly band together to fight off intruders in your space or just a good strong intelligence network that provides an early warning system for potential threats, then you will be extremely safe.

I haven't lost a single ship since I've lived in Impass for about a year.

For another, where do predators like to hunt?  They like to hunt in areas with high densities of weak defenseless animals.  They want to feed, and they don't want to work too much for their food.  High Sec, which has the "benefit" of space police to help protect players is also where the weaker defenseless players live. 

So the predators will hunt there anyways, despite the space police, because the kills are easy, flashy and look good on a killboard.  They don't care if their ship gets blown up in the process as long as they can kill you, use an alt account to loot your wreck and flash your killmail to their buddies.

EVE absolutely can be a carebear game if you want it to be, but you'll want to move to the most dangerous areas of the game to be a carebear.  It's counter-intuitive, but it's the truth.
    GdemamiAsch126
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A long time ago I read a post by a guy who wrote when he first started in Eve he took off to explore, got ganked, and got his ship destroyed.  After that he wrote he spent the next three years, if I remember correctly, in the station and became a successful trader, at least that's what he said. 

Before I started Eve I did a ton of research and pretty much knew what to expect.  I would suggest read the forums and find a corp that specializes in training new players.  They will walk you through everything you need to know and make sure you're well trained and knowledgeable in the basics before heading out on your own.  Makes a big difference.  Whatever you do, don't think you can jump in solo and survive on your own trying to figure stuff out on your own as you go along.
    H0urg1assKyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    One thing I liked and disliked about eve was always knowing who was in your system. I wonder what people would think about other pvp games if they could know when others were in the same area. 

Anyway I loved eve for years back when a small pack of 2-5 people could roam  0.0 and be very successful. Once we started getting gate camps  of 30+ people the fun started going away. Then warp to zero, interdictors, stealth haulers.  Too much if the dynamic changed and people were camping 100+ easily.

Its still a fantastic game and you can play it in an incredible number of ways. Running missions, playing the market, pirating low sec,  scavenging, stealing, probing, high sec wars though not like it use to be, and probably countless other ways if you just use your imagination. If you’re the type that can’t think of things to do on your own it likely won’t be your cup of tea. 
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    there are different levels of zones or systems.  obviously there is less likely-hood in high security zones to get ganked, but it can happen.   eve is just like real life space travel: you can fly cool ships, make lots of money, die and respawn, get ganked, have your stuff held for ransom, talk to billions of people and creatures, sit in space ports, fall down, get up.  

it is too hard for most people to play... only really really really smart people like eve

I log into eve sometime, sit in my space port and stare out the window at all the stars

sometimes, when the pop is super low, in the wee hours of the morning, before the sun comes up...

I undock from the star port, fly around the space station about 3 times and then immediately re-dock and say,

"The Universe And All That I Can See Is Mine!!!!"

Sz  :)
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    Hi Sec is the green part of the maps.  You can be attacked anywhere in the game at any time, but in the higher sec areas the space cops will arrive very quickly and kill the attacker....but you can get ganked in high sec, and probably will.

Hi Sec has the most people in it because, in theory, it is the safest.  Low Sec is the yellow area and null sec is the red areas.  The space cops take longer or likely will not even bother.  You can and will get ganked here as well.

This is not a PVE game, it is a PVP game.  The PVE parts are mind numbingly boring and the real action happens when other players get involved or there is a threat of other players getting involved.

The game takes about two to three months to learn.  It is pretty complicated but not impossible to learn.  There are a lot of systems and things going on.  More than 90% of the people who try the game, quit and never return.  The game has about 30,000 players and I think there is only one server.

If you try to go at it alone, don't even bother.  You will not last a week.  You have to join a corporation, who will likely have tons of credits and ships available for you to play.  The reason is because you are safer in numbers and even flying a lowbie Frigate you can actually add a lot to a group.

Don't fly what you cannot afford to lose.  In other MMOs, when you get the shiny you want to show it off....in this game, when you get the shiny, someone is going to gank you.

The game has a F2P mode where certain skills can be learned but the good stuff you have to pay for.  But you have to give the game two or three months before you make up your mind.
    GdemamiAmathe
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Phry said:
    Eve does not have 'safe spaces' the only time you cannot be ganked, is if you stay docked, as long as its not in one of the new player owned stations - Fortizars etc. as they can be attacked. In Eve you can sort of 'carebear' it, but its a game where you have to be aware that PVP can happen anytime and anywhere, so its a good idea to remain 'aware', even in high sec. Wardec's happen, high sec gank squads happen, some deliberately hunt miners that might be 'afk'ing' it, some probe down mission runners just for the hell of it, particularly if your flying a particularly 'shiny' ship, because the higher value ships sure do make great KM's and rack up the value of your Killboard for whatever Corp your in. Every time you undock, you take the risk of someone coming along and having a go, which is why the first rule of Eve is never fly something you can't afford to lose. The 2n'd rule being that if combat probes appear within 1 AU of you on your directional scanner, then its probably a good idea to leg it, high sec or not. Rule 3 is always use your directional scanner! :p
    In eve you are not safe even when you are docked, you can still be scammed in trading, and god forbid the station change hand or get blown up, and then you start banding up with people to feel safer only to have them back stab you.

Gdemami
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Not really Carebear.
    In fact the last few years it became impossible for newbies to enjoy the game as CCP made EVE a game with no safe zone.

No wonder they are losing players, they have alienated all Carebears which was the bulk of their playerbase.
    McGamer
    TEKK3N said:
    Not really Carebear.
    In fact the last few years it became impossible for newbies to enjoy the game as CCP made EVE a game with no safe zone.

No wonder they are losing players, they have alienated all Carebears which was the bulk of their playerbase.
    Most likely it was the changes to wardecs that had a negative impact, used to be corps could wardec each other, for a fee obviously, but now they can't unless both the target of the wardec and the corp making the wardec have their own stations deployed (astrahus, fortizars etc.) The ones they are losing are the PVP'ers. :/
    McGamer
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited October 2019
    You know EVE has a serious problem of new player retention right?
    Even CCP publicly admitted that, there are no new players sticking with the game.

The reason for that is that the place that in theory should be more safe, High Sec, in fact is less safe.
    Once new players lose their first expensive ship doing a PVE mission in what is supposed to be a safe zone, they’re done and quit.

Surely what you are saying is a problem, but not as big as new player retention.
    Phry[Deleted User]
    TEKK3N said:
    You know EVE has a serious problem of new player retention right?
    Even CCP publicly admitted that, there are no new players sticking with the game.

The reason for that is that the place that in theory should be more safe, High Sec, in fact is less safe.
    Once new players lose their first expensive ship doing a PVE mission in what is supposed to be a safe zone, they’re done and quit.

Surely what you are saying is a problem, but not as big as new player retention.
    New player retention is a problem for all games, instead the problem now is 'old player retention' i think you are failing to understand the ramifications of the changes, as for losing expensive ships in PVE, in mission running the missions are reliant on standing, and it ramps up fairly slowly, you aren't going to lose expensive ships until at least level 4 missions and that takes months, not only that but you can't fly expensive ships as a new player, it takes time to gain the necessary skills to use them, as a result, not only that, they tend to be specific role ships, Hictors, Force Recon, Command etc. New players are also not able to fly tech 3 ships either. So new players leaving because they lose a shiny ship in PVE, does not happen. :p
    McGamer