Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How MMOs Have Improved - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageHow MMOs Have Improved - Garrett Fuller - MMORPG.com

No matter what you think about current MMOs there are still games out there that do extremely well in today’s market. There are two that I can think which provide updates and content for their user bases as well as fast leveling practices and multi-tiered cash shop options. Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online remain strong money makers for their respective markets and also keep the classic fantasy feel we all grew up with.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Gdemami

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Neverwinter as an example of how MMORPGs have improved?

Sigh
    MendelScotGdemamiPuReDusTdeniteronelesslightAeanderBlinkennSamhaelDrunkWolfand 10 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• pratt12200pratt12200 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Nothing has improved. There hasn't been a long lived playable MMO come out in the last 4 years lol
    Gdemami[Deleted User]AlomarCaffynatedBuschkatze
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe call this article "How Two MMOs HAve Improved?" It's a big leap from these two games to mmos in general, imho.
    MendelonelesslightSamhaelGdemamiAlomar

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• casdegerecasdegere Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Hmm, which flavor is meant? The Eastern Grind/rng or the western MMOs for ADD/griefer addicts?
    BooLadedada
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    they haven't
    mmo's became online single player games wich is sad
    GdemamiDrunkWolfAlomarPalebanedeniter
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    The title might have been better put: How MMOs Have Retained Some Semblance Of The Gameplay and Communities They Once Had.
    GdemamiKyleranwingoodinfomatzdeniter
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    They may be improved as money making machines but development path isn't that good. Both have dated graphics (ESO also has primitive animations) and Neverwinter devs done goofed more than once: the game has a lot of abandoned/obsolete content from constant level cap raises + leveling is/was way too slow (to the point where I had to abandon the game).

To me it's a miracle how people still play these when BDO is available.
    Gdemamidoomex

Thank you for your time!

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Neverwinters Foundry was a great idea.,. all things said and done.
    sschruppdoomexRain_DeathravenScot
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Clickbait title with an article that doesn't even explain how MMOs improved and talks about money for some reason?! You guys are better than that.
    GdemamiCryomatrixWhiteLanternAnnwynSamhaelKyleranAlomargoemoeBooLadedadaGreatswordand 1 other.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • CeridanCeridan Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Gonna have to disagree, playing eso right now and for an MMO it's crap, worse than it was at launch, in my opionion. Gear outdating 5 minutes after I pick it up, no point in even caring until max, no point in questing, I'm basically grinding to end game not even reading the quests which they obviously put all their time into. The world is so fake with every creature scaling or possibly my damage scaling, I can't even tell how it works, but gotta love lvl 8 characters killing the same mob twice as fast as my lvl 50, maybe if it were a single player game I would rate it a little higher since I wouldn't see this nonsense. This game is everything wrong with the current generation of so called MMOs. Shame on people giving these guys money, they wont get a cent more than what they got from me 5 years ago when I bought the stupid thing.
    GdemamiAlomarBuschkatze
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    "How MMORPGs have been co-existing in a greed driven industry"
    GdemamiTuor7wingoodScot
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I hate to say this but it seemed like someone mailed it in figuratively speaking.
    GdemamiKyleran
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    And what is with using an image from another website clearly in the article? Am I the only that sees this laziness/lack of workmanship?
  • aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 82
    I see this article didn't reinforce the narrative of "Oh no MMORPGs are DYING!" that apparently this forum's users prefer. Be careful what you ask for, folks, you may get it.

As for the games themselves, I haven't played ESO so I can't comment on that one--but certainly Neverwinter remains one of the very few games out there to provide mechanisms for user-created adventure arcs, which is something most of these games should have adopted as a feature ages ago.
    Palebane
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    lol Garrett, that is some HEAVY sarcasm in the title
    KyleranGdemami
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,500
    Hmmm. "How MMOs Have Improved"
    cites two games.
    Even if the choices weren't easily debatable, this article's title is a very poor choice for the contents.
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 490
    edited February 2019
    99% self-proclaimed mmorpgs are free to progress like a snail and pay to dominate your face.

Great F...K...G improvements.
    Gdemami
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited February 2019
    Gotta love journalism where people hand u cash to say things that are certainly hyperbolised content! MMO's have devolved into the realms of mobile gaming now they have not improved they are laden with overpriced micro transaction that are never bought and the developer goes why?!?!?! just look at anthem 20 dolla for a skin and u have to buy the main game for like 60 dolla... What happened to buy a game at a normal price and get a game that is full/complete (DLC is forgivable as long as it is "extra" and not cut out of the full game and sold to make the game appear more full) or items that were in a previous game that were free are sold as micro transaction in the next game (looking at you fallout 76).
    Gdemamisquibbly
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The TITLE has very little to do with what is mentioned here.
    Instead this just looks like advertising,play this game because they deliver content,play this game because it has a decent population or these devs continue to make money,what does ANY of that have to do with MMO's improving?

Well to save tiem on another thread that actually sticks to the title,i can tell you,VERY little has been improved,the graphics "SOMETIMES" and very seldom but mostly just same old different skin only now devs have learned how to cheapen the content and cheapen the effort so they can deliver it faster ,easier and less costly.
    So what has been the biggest ideas mMO's have added....loot boxes,EA gimmicks,crowd funding ,DLC's,season passes,etc etc,yeah sounds like MMO's have been doing a great job of improving the genre.
    Kyleransquibbly

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    It hasn't improved.

The only thing that has changed is micro-transactions fuel development, and we will never see another game without this "feature". I'd be surprised if we see another popular MMO.

And anyone who doesn't think this genre is on its death-kneel apparently missed the entire last decade.
    Gdemami
  • joshisanonymousjoshisanonymous Member UncommonPosts: 23
    So, this article has nothing to do with the title, which is annoying. Either that or the author thinks that the amount of money generated by games that hasn't playing "in months" is how you guage the quality of an MMO.
    Gdemami

www.joshmcneill.com

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I would have gone more the route of "MMOs improve over time. Here are 2 examples."
    wingood

Joined - July 2004

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    C'mon ESO was a total sellout...Had no feel for the series whatsoever. I dumped that game after a couple of weeks it was so bad.
    squibbly
  • WhiskyjumperWhiskyjumper Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Strange. Bothe of these are games I have tried multiple times and just can't get into. I find them both boring.
    Buschkatze
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Deyirn said:
    MMORPGs haven't improved, they've gone worse.
    At least the AAA mass-played titles are becoming more dumbed down to cater to more lazy casuals who want to collect mounts and pets and think that "this is playing an MMO".

Only small projects like Project Gorgon, Pantheon and others are "keepin' it real".
    They absolutely improved, you're fucking blind as a bat if you don't think they have. Not saying the reasons listed in the article are how they have improved but my point remains, they have improved in a lot of areas, they have gone backwards in others however.

Monetization is one in which we have gone in the wrong direction, i blame the players for this for voting with their wallet.

Graphics obviously have improved and yes this should be counted.

Story has improved overall as we have more mmo's now trying to add an actual story to their games than there were in the past. I might as well tie in voice acting here as it adds to the immersiveness when you don't have to read paragraphs of text and can hear emotion. No, not every mmo uses it, but there are plenty that do.

QoL improvements.

I don't care who you are or what you say, corpse runs was a dogshit mechanic and the only reason it was made in the first place was to artificially bloat playtime. The fact that we don't have to deal with corpse runs if you don't want to(WoW still has them but 1. corpse run doesn't take nearly as long and 2. can res at graveyard for a short debuff) is fucking fantastic and i think 90% of gamers would agree with me on this.

Having an in-game map. Now, i will say this regarding maps. While i think there absolutely should be in-game maps as opposed to no map like it used to be, i think maps should be filled out as you explore. Kinda like how if you play Path of Exile, once you enter a zone, the minimap is blank but as you explore it, it fills out. I think maps in mmorpgs should do the same and point out points of interests, cities, dungeons, etc as you find them like a passive cartography skill. Regardless, having in-game map > no map at all unless you bought a collector's edition and got a paper map the devs sent you or you go to allakhazam to look up maps.

The ability to solo level relatively easy. Too many old games this was practically impossible to do unless you were exceptionally good at the game or played a specific class in a specific type of way. I'll never forget almost dying to a rabbit that was like 2 levels lower than me in FFXI. I can 100% agree that mmorpgs have gone way too far in the solo direction(example Tera's f2p nerf to BAMs, used to be difficult but very possible to solo them, then they made them retarded easy), but they didn't abandon the group content by any means so it's still an improvement from before.

Travel time is another improvement. I'm sorry, but travel time in old mmos, EQ in particular was outrageous. If it takes me over an hour to get from city A to city B, i'm just not playing that game. Again, did they go a bit too far in the right direction? Yea, take away LFG teleporting to dungeons and leave the meeting stones and warlock summons and mage portals as means of teleporting and WoW will have a good travel time for their world. Maybe also take away intercontinental travel loading screen and have the ship actually sail over to the other continent like zeppelin's/flight masters actually fly over.

There's more but i feel like i wrote too much already. Many improvements have been made in todays mmorpgs versus the past. Take off those blinders my man.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!