Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA/Origin Access for Anthem Begins, But Not Without Issues - MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Am I alone in thinking this feels like a reskined monster Hunter worlds?

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited February 2019
    blamo2000 said:
    cmacq said:

Character development? Prolly not. As has been said it's a 3rd person looter shooter and so far it seems to do that pretty well.

The combat seems decent.  The graphics are super fancy.  But the game was billed and promoted as an rpg - and it isn't.  I can't complain much since I got it for free with the access thing I have with Origin, but I am very disappointed.  The old Bioware is dead, and Neo-Bioware is a console dev.  I can't rebind sprint to Alt key (and a bunch of buttons to other keys), and many other console nonsense such as this.  

In fact, with this game, and Bioware hyping it as an rpg, when it has way less rpg elements than even Destiny or Division, it is clear they have gone FULL console.  Never go full console if you want to be taken seriously by rpg fans.  
    Seriously?  The game has always been promoted as a RPG Looter Shooter.  Only people hyping it as just a RPG are Bioware fans remembering all their other games.  I haven't seen anywhere mentioning it as only a RPG.  I have been hearing praise about the story so far but they also say it is a Looter Shooter first with RPG elements.  I mean they have been saying it is a Co-Op game.
    Co-op games can have rpg mechanics.  Nothing stopped them from having an rpg system - other than what they consider their audience to be and what they want.  This game isn't for me.  Its great that people like it, but since it has no rpg elements other than loot upgrades and just last month people on this very site told me there was an rpg system for character progression - to answer your initial question - yes, seriously.  

Call me crazy but I like the games I play that are marketed as an rpg, show up in the rpg section of Origin, etc., to have rpg elements.  You can think its a ridiculous requirement of mine to expect rpgs to have a couple rpg elements, and that's your right, but its just a silly argument.  

Just as graphics whores need fancy smancy graphics to enjoy a game, I'm an rpg whore and I need fancy smancy rpg elements to enjoy a game.  
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2019
    blamo2000 said:  
    Call me crazy but I like the games I play that are marketed as an rpg, show up in the rpg section of Origin, etc., to have rpg elements.  You can think its a ridiculous requirement of mine to expect rpgs to have a couple rpg elements, and that's your right, but its just a silly argument.  
    You are crazy.

Just because the game has no character stats/progression does not mean it has no rpg elements at all.

In fact the game is more rpg than it is a shooter. 

The game has persistency, loot, skills, builds, rotations, crafting, mats farming, etc. - standard rpg feature set and gameplay of an mmo(rpg).

Not your cup of tea? Fair enough but don't make up false justifications, that's actually silly.
    [Deleted User]Sovrathalkarionlogblamo2000[Deleted User]TheDarkrayne
    Gdemami said:
    blamo2000 said:  
    You are crazy.

Just because the game has no character stats/progression does not mean it has no rpg elements at all.

In fact the game is more rpg than it is a shooter. 

The game has persistency, loot, skills, builds, rotations, crafting, mats farming, etc. - standard rpg feature set and gameplay of an mmo(rpg).

Not your cup of tea? Fair enough but don't make up false justifications, that's actually silly.
    Persistency is an rpg thing?  Almost everything you named is a general mmo gaming trope.  This game has only one general rpg element - equipment upgrading.  Any real rpg has rpg at the heart of it, an rpg system built into it, and character progression, meaning my max level character has made choices that make it different than other characters outside of loot/equipment.  If every max level character is exactly the same minus equipment choices, it isn't an rpg.  Period.  They could have made this game an rpg but decided not to.  That's fine - they know their audience and what they want.  And their audience didn't want an rpg.  This can't be argued.  

As I stated, I'm not a graphics whore.  I don't know much about graphics, but when a game that comes out that I love and the graphics whores hate because it doesn't have fancy smancy graphics I'm not ridiculous enough to argue with them that it in fact does have fancy smancy graphics but they just don't see it or understand graphics enough to get it.  Why?  Because that would be retarded.  I don't care about graphics so I don't understand enough about the subject to spew nonsense about it.

This game is not an rpg and should not be labeled as one because it is missing every rpg element but one.  Is it a good game?  Sure.  Plenty of non-rpg are great games because people play them and love them.  But that doesn't make them rpgs, and it doesn't mean rpg fans play them or consider them rpgs.  From an rpg mechanics perspective - this game is awful.  1/10 at most.  From a general gaming perspective it could be 10/10.  I don't know.  I'm not a general gamer.  
    Gdemami
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    Its a good job that Apex is doing so well, because i don't think Anthem would have saved EA.  ;)
    Agreed.  It's fun to play once you're out and about in the Javelin, but it suffers from the disjointed "story-driven-lite" woes that Destiny 1 had at launch.  After seeing Bungie publicly being criticized for that in D1, I can't decide if that makes Anthem's suffering the same detriments better or worse for Bioware.

And also agreed, Apex, unless it's just not enticing anyone to pay at all, looks like it will be the cash cow of the two.  Very surprising, given the competition in the BR genre.
    I would be more inclined to play the game if it had decent story, but everything i've seen so far indicates a lacklustre story, unlikeable characters and a generally poor standard of writing, that was also one of the major issues with ME:A, sadly i am someone who needs those storylines to really enjoy a game. I am even playing ESO at the moment because at least the storylines are decent even if the combat isn't. :/
    Gdemami
    Phry said:
    Phry said:
    Its a good job that Apex is doing so well, because i don't think Anthem would have saved EA.  ;)
    Agreed.  It's fun to play once you're out and about in the Javelin, but it suffers from the disjointed "story-driven-lite" woes that Destiny 1 had at launch.  After seeing Bungie publicly being criticized for that in D1, I can't decide if that makes Anthem's suffering the same detriments better or worse for Bioware.

And also agreed, Apex, unless it's just not enticing anyone to pay at all, looks like it will be the cash cow of the two.  Very surprising, given the competition in the BR genre.
    I would be more inclined to play the game if it had decent story, but everything i've seen so far indicates a lacklustre story, unlikeable characters and a generally poor standard of writing, that was also one of the major issues with ME:A, sadly i am someone who needs those storylines to really enjoy a game. I am even playing ESO at the moment because at least the storylines are decent even if the combat isn't. :/
    I disagree.  The story, setting, and characters are so hammy, bad, B-movie, and cringey it transcends bad and lands solidly into the awesome "cult classic" category.  It truly is pure awesome.  I think you are just viewing it wrong.  If you approach it as an unsuspecting hilarious comedy in a world where the good guys are devoid of testosterone I think you will see just how great it is.  No one could ever come up with a satire as funny as this.  This can only happen naturally, be generated by the minds of pure broken-blue haired freaks, and be meant to be taken seriously - and that is the core to enjoying its unintentional comedic genius.  
    Gdemami
    edited February 2019
    blamo2000 said:
    it is missing every rpg element but one.
    The game has every trait of rpg but one common among mmo games as pointed out already. You want to dispute that? Good luck...

However, neither repeating yourself nor your denial, make your claim any more true - your arbitrary qualifiers don't apply.
    [Deleted User]blamo2000
    Gdemami said:
    blamo2000 said:
    it is missing every rpg element but one.
    The game has every trait of rpg but one common among mmo games as pointed out already. You want to dispute that? Good luck...

However, neither repeating yourself nor your denial, make your claim any more true - your arbitrary qualifiers don't apply.
    You're just a big silly goose.  It has all of them besides every single one of them but one (equipment upgrades)?  Makes perfect sense!

The next time a game I love that comes out and gets slammed by the graphics whores for having shitty graphics I'm going to tell them it has all the elements of good graphics so they are wrong.  

I like this form of debating.  I don't have to make sense or be remotely sensible or correct - I just have to say ridiculous things I know nothing about.

Fallen Earth has all the fancy smancy graphics elements of Anthem (models, textures, shaders, etc) so it has better graphics.  Duh!  Anyone who doesn't play Fallen Earth because they claim it doesn't have superior graphics, even though it was pointed out already that it does, is a crazy idiot that doesn't know what zhe is talking about.
    Gdemami
    blamo2000 said:
    I like this form of debating.  I don't have to make sense or be remotely sensible or correct - I just have to say ridiculous things I know nothing about.
    Yup, that much is apparent from your posts...
    Gdemami said:
    blamo2000 said:
    Yup, that much is apparent from your posts...
    Sure.  Anthem is really a platformer.  I mean a puzzle game.  No, its a survival game I mean.  

I really don't understand what the motivation is behind this new age nonsense of general gamers pushing the narrative that everything is an rpg, regardless of having any rpg elements, or in Anthem's case - a very lite element.  Singular.  

Your argument takes general gaming tropes included in tons of games that no one considers rpgs and then claiming they are rpg elements.  It logically, factually, sensibly, and reasonably is a nonsense argument.  It does not follow.  Its the definition of fallacy and is a true non sequitur.  

My heart truly goes out to the younger generation.  It seems there was a concerted effort to teach you all wrong, like Wimp Lo in Kung-Pow.  
    Gdemami
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Anthem is only for real fanboys of this type of game not worth my money.