Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division 2 Open Beta Live Action Trailer Asks 'Why Will We Fight?' - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageThe Division 2 Open Beta Live Action Trailer Asks 'Why Will We Fight?' - MMORPG.com

With The Division 2 ready to kick off open beta on March 1st, Ubisoft is priming players with the release of a new live-action trailer. It asks, "When everything has collapse. When everything has been taken away from us. Why will we fight?"

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    I did fight! In Division 1, then all my stuff disappeared in Division 2. Why bother?
    GdemamiBadSpockMr.Gutsy
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    I did fight! In Division 1, then all my stuff disappeared in Division 2. Why bother?
    Because that was in New York City and this is in Washington DC. Everyone knows you need to start over when you change areas. I can't wait for the Division 3 when we go to Los Angeles!
    Rain_Deathraven[Deleted User]SAPninjaDoctorhooinfomatz

Albatroes said:

Because that was in New York City and this is in Washington DC. Everyone knows you need to start over when you change areas. I can't wait for the Division 3 when we go to Los Angeles!

Yeah! Should totally skip this and wait for Division 3 in 2020.
    GdemamiMr.Gutsy
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Because every sequel in gaming has you start from scratch again? Not like it's a new thing. ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

Because every sequel in gaming has you start from scratch again? Not like it's a new thing. ;)

Same gameplay and graphics, just a new zone. That's an expansion pack. I don't suppose you think The Burning Crusade should have been a separate game?
    GdemamiMr.GutsyAlbatroesRain_DeathraveninfomatzM1K313K0CK
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I'd love to know why I can't get a response from my request to cancel my preorder!

Of course the preorder numbers are high, they won't let anyone cancel!
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2019
    SBFord said:

Same gameplay and graphics, just a new zone. That's an expansion pack. I don't suppose you think The Burning Crusade should have been a separate game?
    Apples and oranges on WoW and TD2.

The Division 2 isn't the "same game", but a sequel set in the same timeline.

Shooters never have carry over. Destiny 2, for example, only carried over the character class, race, gender, face, hair and markings. I could see maybe carrying over cosmetics but that's it since this is a 100% different character than the one in NYC.

maskedweaselinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

Listen,

Destiny 2 was an expansion pack to Destiny 1.
    Battlefront 2 was an expansion pack to battlefront 1.
    Cod modern warfare 2 was an expansion pack to modern warfare 1.
    Modern warfare 3 was an expansion pack to modern warfare 2

This is a bad practice turned into common practice by mega game publishers.

You need to be consistent. If you're okay with this, you should be okay with every warcraft expansion as its own separate game and fresh start with no links to your previous progress.
    GdemamiSBFordMr.Gutsycmacq

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

Shooters never have carry over. It has new weapons and mechanics so why not start from zero? I could see maybe carrying over cosmetics, but that's it.

The divsion is rpg above being a shooter. One kills with guns, one kills with sword. Both revolve around DPS. A real shooter does not have DPS, 1 headshot 1 instant kill.

Every warcraft expansion came with new mechanics. Some were so drastic, changing entire talent trees.

This is not a good practice.
    GdemamiSBFordMr.Gutsy[Deleted User]
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAA
    moshraSBFord
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Moxom914 said:
    WHAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I 100% agree.  I'd also like to add QQ.
    SBFordinfomatz
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I'm curious why all these game studios are making live action trailers now. Nothing wrong with it I guess, but it just seems like a new trend. Kinda like when film studios started using Johnny Cash songs for film trailers. 
    Makes a little more sense for The Division to do it as they had a short amazon based TV show run.  It was bad. But this kind of keeps along with that whole thing.
    SBFord[Deleted User]infomatz

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:

Shooters never have carry over. Destiny 2, for example, only carried over the character class, race, gender, face, hair and markings. I could see maybe carrying over cosmetics but that's it since this is a 100% different character than the one in NYC.

Personally agree here, but with these games shifting to persistent online worlds, games as a service, the lines between game types are going to start to blur for some people.
    The sub access is why I played Anthem; I can play it like an MMORPG with no box price, essentially.  Works better for me if they're going to treat it like a service.  Once I'm done with Anthem, I'll unsubscribe.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    Honestly, its not about if it makes sense or not, its about what people are trained to be used to. A company's perspective is that they can make more money offering this as a 60$ title instead of a 40$ expansion. Destiny has a 'slight' room to make sense since 1 was on consoles only and 2 was for all platforms. Then again they could've just ported Destiny 1 to pcs and then made an expansion but money. Trained rabbits with wallets is why we can't have nice things anymore. They get offered a carrot with the person flipping the ends around causing the rabbit to pay to eat the same carrot without question.
    Albatroes said:
    Honestly, its not about if it makes sense or not, its about what people are trained to be used to. A company's perspective is that they can make more money offering this as a 60$ title instead of a 40$ expansion. Destiny has a 'slight' room to make sense since 1 was on consoles only and 2 was for all platforms. Then again they could've just ported Destiny 1 to pcs and then made an expansion but money. Trained rabbits with wallets is why we can't have nice things anymore. They get offered a carrot with the person flipping the ends around causing the rabbit to pay to eat the same carrot without question.
    Kind of a strange point though... because that isn't technically the case.

Maybe in the case of people purchasing a season pass, like many console games do these days... but standalone DLCs are another matter entirely. 

Some DLCs and expansions can go for 40 dollars.  I think it would be more detrimental to release nickel and dime content releases.

Their plan for D2 actually makes sense.  There is no segregation.  Don't have any of the DLCs? Don't worry about it.  Don't want to buy a season pass? Don't worry about it, you don't need one as all the content is free across the board for D2 for the first year.

That's a small departure from other games where you get the game for 60 dollars and then you have to buy the season pass just to keep up over the course of the year. 

I think it balances out.  Plus, it brings players like me back, players that went hard at the division early on, but couldn't be bothered to come back after losing interest, and before the updates.

SBFord

Albatroes said:
    Kind of a strange point though... because that isn't technically the case.

Maybe in the case of people purchasing a season pass, like many console games do these days... but standalone DLCs are another matter entirely. 

Some DLCs and expansions can go for 40 dollars.  I think it would be more detrimental to release nickel and dime content releases.

Their plan for D2 actually makes sense.  There is no segregation.  Don't have any of the DLCs? Don't worry about it.  Don't want to buy a season pass? Don't worry about it, you don't need one as all the content is free across the board for D2 for the first year.

That's a small departure from other games where you get the game for 60 dollars and then you have to buy the season pass just to keep up over the course of the year. 

I think it balances out.  Plus, it brings players like me back, players that went hard at the division early on, but couldn't be bothered to come back after losing interest, and before the updates.

You are paying a season pass. $40 expansion and $20 season pass. Oh so clever. 
  • PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Did The Division 1 ever get the Drones that they showed in the trailers, where you could hop in with your Tablet and be Team Helpful ?
    Rain_Deathraven
    Did The Division 1 ever get the Drones that they showed in the trailers, where you could hop in with your Tablet and be Team Helpful ?
    No, and TD2 won't have them, as far as we've heard.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Too bad the trailer is trying to tell a story but TD2 is just get in and start shooting stuff and oh yeah...pick up your loot.i have yet to see a single player stop and say..hey where is the story,nobody cares anymore,it's all finish the game as fast as possible and get the loot.
    maskedweasel

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100
    This duck and cover system in Division 1&2, it had to come around because of consoles and the not so smooth gameplay, shame they put that awkward clunky movement in this game.

This felt exactly like the first one and the graphics advancement wasn't anything big really,
    I'd love shooter mmo's but not when they are made with bad moving and that duck and cover system.
    I want smooth gameplay and not feel like i should have a PS4 controller in hand so i could see why the movement has to be so bad in this game.
    Jippiijoo said:
    This duck and cover system in Division 1&2, it had to come around because of consoles and the not so smooth gameplay, shame they put that awkward clunky movement in this game.

This felt exactly like the first one and the graphics advancement wasn't anything big really,
    I'd love shooter mmo's but not when they are made with bad moving and that duck and cover system.
    I want smooth gameplay and not feel like i should have a PS4 controller in hand so i could see why the movement has to be so bad in this game.
    It came around because this system is specifically created for this type of game play.  It's similar to games like Gears of War, and I played an old N64 title utilizing similar movement, called WinBack.  It was the first cover shooter besides "time crisis" I've ever played.

They all have something in common, and it isn't clunky movement, it's cover based movement. It plays better with a controller sure, but that isn't clunky, it's actually pretty intuitive when you consider all the areas that you can interact with.  It sounds like cover systems just aren't for you.