Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

no MMO since UO has held my attention

2»

Comments

• YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    The closest game to UO pre trammel is Mortal Online, I mean some stuff is just straight ripped off lol
    Slapshot1188
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I guess if youre one of the wolves then this game would be ok...If one of the sheep, then no. I thought it was a horrible community of nothing but gankers and PKers.
    Ungood
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    edited February 2019
    I loved UO immensely. But the ganking was horrendous.
    Still, I stayed with the game for many years.

The ganking mentality was so bad that players would find ways to avoid the gray and red flags.
    One time I was fighting a Lich Lord in a dungeon, and a large group of players came running in. The Liche Lord was a challenge, and these players surrounded me so I couldn't step away. I eventually ran out of bandages and healing regs. At this point I was going to cast "teleport" and get out of there, but one guy used a "bless wand" on me. This gave me a small and useless blessing, but it also would disrupt my "teleport" spell casting. And every time I tried to cast, he disrupted me.
    I eventually fell to the Lich Lord, and they looted me dry.

That's the sort of players you run into in these PvP games. They used every trick in the book to gank others, one way or another.
    Screw that.

I still wait for another game like UO, modernized and advanced, but without player abuse of other players. At least to that extreme.

What I loved about UO was the worldly design, the lore that had mysteries in-game, the rare item collections (before they ruined it by making it a thing for everyone...so much for "rare"), the cool things like the Moongates (before they removed the timing mechanism to know where you were going), the Communication Crystals, and so much more.

And I loved the player interactions. The things players built or put together, like the Museums, Rune Houses, Taverns, Libraries, and the player run Auction Houses. And player run events such Trade Fairs,  Festivals, Chess Matches, Dungeon Runs, Campfire Story Telling.
    And I loved that there were guilds that tried to decode the mysterious language and actions of the Wisps (even though that turned out to be nothing, it still had that mysterious depth feeling, while it lasted).

And then there was the deepest mystery of them all, "The Black Necklace."

UO was the cutting edge, a glimpse, to what a true Worldly MMORPG could be. With mystery, discovery, and depth and scope of game play with a massive number of other gamers.
    Steelhelm

Once upon a time....

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    For me i was chasing loot farming and progression and co-op in mmorpgs, unable to find anything decent at it...other than a few with overly involved raids (i dont want to be locked to the PC for 6 hours straight sweating it out with a guild)

I found ARPG games, Looter-shooters, and whatnot held my attention much better, and i didnt have to deal with a lot of systems and mechanics that detracted from my experience.  

Im still looking for that third person skyrim like combat, ARPG game, with co op...i know a few asian single players do that decent...but without really the co-op.  Sort of like Destiny with skyrim combat.

Like many people, you seek out a game type that most likely exists outside of the traditional mmorpg realm, a big reason the genre is dead...what you want is out there...its just not a mmorpg.  
  • DwaaawffulDwaaawfful Member UncommonPosts: 65
    I too miss Ultimate Otter.

It had all the Olde Tyme gaming magic of Bunnies and Burrows allied to pixels so chunky you needed a hairbrush to make sense of the graphics.

Steelhelm
    Stumpiness & Unbridled Misery Masquerading as VIRTUE

Need an AI-Free Elf Names Generator to bring your next elven character to life? Why ... course you do, you darn fool!
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Xasapis said:
    I'm having the opposite problem in the late years. Too many mmorpgs trying to mix PvE with PvP, when I'm only interested in the cooperative aspect of the game and I want to completely ignore the PvP part.
    This is me too 100%!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Xasapis said:
    I'm having the opposite problem in the late years. Too many mmorpgs trying to mix PvE with PvP, when I'm only interested in the cooperative aspect of the game and I want to completely ignore the PvP part.
    I have given up and decided to try and survive in a PvP world. I think I'll find no game to play or else. So I try to find what I can and avoid what I cannot.
    Chamber of Chains