Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE 0.5 Development Update, coming "soon"

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
edited February 2019 in Chronicles of Elyria
Back on Jan 24th a link was posted saying Caspian was ready to write the .5 Dev blog / update,  but three or so weeks later still no word.

Thought we could use a thread to keep watch for it and discuss the contents when it arrives.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/uploads/editor/xz/4i3fcv48pvrd.jpg

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Post edited by Kyleran on
GdemamiScot

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    edited February 2019
    He actually started talking about this update post in Nov.  Then in Dec he said he’d was until after the holidays.  Then early Jan he said it would take the place of the State of Elyria.  Then a few weeks ago he said it was delayed because some of the team were behind and he needed their stuff.

Personally I think he realized he would be posting the same stuff as last year and so has been scrambling to create some believable new stuff to show.

A few weeks ago he also commented that he could not believe they had been working on it for 4 months(probably 5 now) and he thought it was only 2.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    From that quote, I would say they missed more than some tasks. Some surely wouldn't add on a few more months. But then, I just wanted a state of elyria update. I'm not sure why it got merged with the 0.5.0 update. I do wonder when 0.5 is done if Pre-Elyria will be ready to be released. I really hope it's not another patch off. Probably won't come out until the end of the year then.
    Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2019
    Torrsk said:
    Some surely wouldn't add on a few more months. 
    ...you don't know what delayed the release, yet, you know it wouldn't add on a a few more months.

Just wow...
    [Deleted User]craftseekerEponyxDamor
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:
    Some surely wouldn't add on a few more months. 
    ...you don't know what delayed the release, yet, you know it wouldn't add on a a few more months.

Just wow...

"SURELY". Here I put it in caps for you. You are a piss poor troll.
    Gdemamitweedledumb99craftseekerEponyxDamor
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm wondering how projects being unfinished or not ready impacts the reporting on the overall status.  Simply write 'Not finished' for those points and write about what is done.  This seems more like an excuse not to write a report than anything tangible.

TorrskSlapshot1188Gdemamitweedledumb99craftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited February 2019
    Mendel said:
    I'm wondering how projects being unfinished or not ready impacts the reporting on the overall status.  Simply write 'Not finished' for those points and write about what is done.  This seems more like an excuse not to write a report than anything tangible.

I think the issue comes down to his utter failure to deliver last year.  He had 3 major milestones listed in 2018’s State Of Elyria. One of which was supposed to be just a few weeks from release (the cancelled VoxElyria which replaced the cancelled ElyriaMud).  He went zero for 3.

So I think he intended this years State Of Elyria to be able to show some actual progress.  Realizing there was utter shit to show, he decided to roll it into the 0.5 update.  Apparently even that had shit to show for the last 2 months... so now we wait while he tries to patch together some screenshots/clips/descriptions that will try to convince folks they made great progress. 

He has simply lost all credibility.  Simply go back to last years State Of Elyria, read what was supposed to be accomplished in 2018 and compare it to what happened.  Then repeat for the prior years.

It doesn’t take a Harbinger to stir up trouble.  His own words and lack of fulfilling them are clear for anyone to see.  Instead of addressing his issues he retreats further and further into the Ivory Tower and his paywalled and double paywalled forums.  Instead of keeping one of the actual Kickstarter promises which was to regularly update the CoE website with the current schedule he backtracks and doesn’t post any dates at all...

Say what you mean
    Do what you say
    When shit happens be honest and explain and then restate what is realistic

Diverge from that at your peril.

GdemamiWellspringSpottyGekkocraftseekerPieMonsterRidrith

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    His broken promises and poor project management is why I am so disillusioned with the game. 

Whilst I wish for a refund policy, I also realise that when input the money on the ks it was lost until complete so.... 

But just something other than "hey guys check the secret forums" would be nice
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]GdemamicraftseekerScot
    Arterius said:
    So disappointed. Can't believe I was every excited about this game to be honest. Good news is that Pantheons newsletter will be out on Wednesday
    I must say I'm tempted to look into pantheon
    AnOldFart said:
    Arterius said:
    So disappointed. Can't believe I was every excited about this game to be honest. Good news is that Pantheons newsletter will be out on Wednesday
    I backed the failed Kickstarter. Then they relaunched but with ridiculous tiers on their website so I skipped it.  I will likely give it a whirl once it releases.  It's probably the one Crowdfunded game that I know least about.

AnOldFart

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    AnOldFart said:
    Arterius said:
    I backed the failed Kickstarter. Then they relaunched but with ridiculous tiers on their website so I skipped it.  I will likely give it a whirl once it releases.  It's probably the one Crowdfunded game that I know least about.

Well, they don't publically say a lot, so tends to keep them out of the limelight or from being in trouble from their own words coming back to haunt.

tweedledumb99AnOldFart[Deleted User]Kilrane

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Yeah.  I don't want to derail with Pantheon stuff so instead... can anyone provide the current latest release date ETA for CoE or is that also expected in the missing 0.5 update?

edited February 2019
    My guess is JW has learned his lesson on trying to predict the distant future and will follow the leads of MJ, CR, Brad & Steven who ceased doing so.

Release dates are for suckers and clearly most backers are not really too concerned over not having one.

tweedledumb99AnOldFart

Kyleran said:
    My guess is JW has learned his lesson on trying to predict the distant future and will follow the leads of MJ, CR, Brad & Steven and cease doing so.

Release dates are for suckers and clearly most backers are not really too concerned over not having one.

Yet providing and posting an updated schedule is one of the few actual promises listed in the Kickstarter...
    craftseekerAnOldFart

I have it on good authority it "seems reasonable" to expect the .5 dev update "soon."

;)
    Slapshot1188AnOldFart

Kyleran said:
    I have it on good authority it "seems reasonable" to expect the .5 dev update "soon."

;)
    I think the quote was actually "seems logical"
    Kyleran

Kyleran said:
    My guess is JW has learned his lesson on trying to predict the distant future and will follow the leads of MJ, CR, Brad & Steven who ceased doing so.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Most seem to be happy with  just a roadmap, even without dates. But seems he can never control himself when it comes to discord. He shares so little about anything on the forums, like the thread you replied in. But if something even closed what asked on discord. He would probably have had said what month it will drop.
    Kyleran
    Torrsk said:
    Kyleran said:

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Most seem to be happy with  just a roadmap, even without dates. But seems he can never control himself when it comes to discord. He shares so little about anything on the forums, like the thread you replied in. But if something even closed what asked on discord. He would probably have had said what month it will drop.
    He does to prefer using Discord to communicate,  not so unusual these days, all the hipster devs are doing it.

;)

I get why game companies all use discord, it's really a better tool. Helps when their forums are in a mess as well. I'm just confused why he opens up more on it. Many of us have joked in a not so joking way, that discord followers know more than 10k people. I could ask a question in the 10k Q&A, even if it's highly upvoted and it could still get ignored. Where I could ask him the same question in discord and watch him answer it. Something that has happened many times in the past. Very confusing to me.
    GdemamiAnOldFarttweedledumb99craftseeker
    Early on he tried to establish this bizarre concept that the forums were “official” and Discord was just him hanging out.  The first time quotes from Discord were tossed back to him he lost his mind complaining about the betrayal.  He really does have a hard time with accountability...
    GdemamiLeFantomeAnOldFartcraftseeker

Kyleran said:

;)
    Is that the trademarked "soon"

Early on he tried to establish this bizarre concept that the forums were “official” and Discord was just him hanging out.  The first time quotes from Discord were tossed back to him he lost his mind complaining about the betrayal.  He really does have a hard time with accountability...
    This made me lol
    craftseeker

He still does that. There was a saying ages back, what happens on discord stays on discord. Now it seems the soul chamber on discord is official, which makes things a bit confusing. Not that the whole thing even made sense in the first place. So many official things said on the forums have changed over time, as one would expect, so not sure why discord is any different. A company answering questions anywhere, should be official. It's almost like he wants to hang out and be best mates with everyone. Which is all good and well, if he doesn't answer any questions during those times. Or really the lines just get blurred. 

I was apart of this kingdom discord, that had this woman put everything together that SBS said on discord. She updated this channel every few days. There was a ton of information in there, way more than I was thinking there even should be. I just hope that was them spending their downtime in there and not wasting hour/s answering all these mostly pointless questions.
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Torrsk said:

There was a ton of information in there, way more than I was thinking there even should be. I just hope that was them spending their downtime in there and not wasting hour/s answering all these mostly pointless questions.
    They do waste a lot of time answering questions. The problem is they have to try and keep people hyped/involved in order to raise money. If there wasn't a funding issue they probably wouldn't be that concerned.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    StaalBurgher said:
    If there wasn't a funding issue they probably wouldn't be that concerned.
    ...or there would be a funding issue if they weren't that concerned :-P
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818
    Torrsk said:

There was a ton of information in there, way more than I was thinking there even should be. I just hope that was them spending their downtime in there and not wasting hour/s answering all these mostly pointless questions.
    They do waste a lot of time answering questions. The problem is they have to try and keep people hyped/involved in order to raise money. If there wasn't a funding issue they probably wouldn't be that concerned.
     As opposed to what the SoL guys do, manana manana; the problems with asking for continuing investment when you supposedly already have enough to make what you told investors you would make, range from increasing player distrust to adding small systems you don't need just so you can say you are doing something.

I am not saying SoL is the best way to make an indie MMO, but having to blow you trumpet all the time has led Caspian to be seen as a figure more like the Pied Piper of Hamlyn. Not saying he is, but building a MMO this way gives you that look.
    Slapshot1188GdemamiMendel
    Gdemami said:
    StaalBurgher said:
    If there wasn't a funding issue they probably wouldn't be that concerned.
    ...or there would be a funding issue if they weren't that concerned :-P
    Funding has always been a concern with this title, but they are in good company along with most indie MMOs not named Star Citizen.
    tweedledumb99Scot