Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online Players Invited to Mosey On Down for the Snake Gulch Event - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageChampions Online Players Invited to Mosey On Down for the Snake Gulch Event - MMORPG.com

Champions Online players have the chance to mosey into the game to take part in the Snake Gulch event where they can earn some mighty fine loot. In the first week alone, folks can lasso up the Rustbucket Helmet or head to the barber for the Undercut Hair. The event runs from now through February 28th, so giddyap, partners!

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Is there still a decent sized community playing this? I'm really surprised they are still even doing events.
  • nastilonnastilon Member UncommonPosts: 150
    I loved this game so much when it came out. Unfortunately they refused to fix swallow tail cut or whatever it was in pvp, and a ton of players left. Then a lack of content. I don't think there has been any new content developed for years unfortunately. The base game is extremely fun though. It is really a shame.
  • KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I used to play and be heavily involved in the community; loved creating characters and costumes. I've logged on in small iterations over the past few years. I believe the last time I logged in was over 2 years ago, where I played for around a week ... the community was nearly dead. Surprised the game's still making do.

Still loved it's fantastic character creation system. One of the few games where you started with a generic body (not some Korean insta-beauty) and then could make your character very professional looking, or very amateurish.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'd play it if they were still making proper content for it. Game hasn't had a real content update for years and years.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I'd play it if they were still making proper content for it. Game hasn't had a real content update for years and years.
    Plus the older content they have hasn't been adjusted to stay relevant. It's just a cash shop driven, repetitive content loop with next to zero content development (as mentioned). 

You stay sassy!

• LeiHngWeiLeiHngWei Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Yes, the community is still fairly large, active and friendly.
    Po_gg
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    LeiHngWei said:
    Yes, the community is still fairly large, active and friendly.
    Agree, just not fairly large :smiley:  they are active and friendly though, and you can find enough players for the queues or events, so it is enough. Definitely not "nearly dead" as Kappa wrote.

Tamanous said:
    Plus the older content they have hasn't been adjusted to stay relevant. It's just a cash shop driven, repetitive content loop with next to zero content development (as mentioned). 
    Yep, content "update" was mostly cosmetics or new powers in the recent years, with the occasional new mechanics or endgame stuff like Teleios about 2 years ago.
    However, they run frequent events, and they update those, like the cat saving at the last anniversary ( https://www.mmorpg.com/champions-online/news/cryptic-celebrating-champions-9th-anniversary-with-cake-and-cats-1000049574 ).

Adjusting older content, I don't see why should they do it. Power creep is not really present in CO, and "older" (world) content is just leveling content anyways... and the CS, the Alerts, etc. those need no adjusting. Not to mention, they do tweak quite often, especially after something new was added, like the HP of big bosses, or sometimes even mechanics of the fight (like the first Clarence after Onslaught arrived)
    edited February 2019
    I literally just logged on for the first time since 2016 and there's two MC Mirrors and hardly anyone in the powerhouse. Few years ago, you'd have anywhere between 9-16 MC Mirrors and the Powerhouse was always packed with players editing their characters.

Granted this is a Monday night ... still ... seems pretty dead to me. Worst part is all my beautiful characters and their glorious costumes are locked behind GOLD status. :disappointed:
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Every time Champions Online is brought up, I get immediately super surprised, because I thought it was shut down a long time ago, and then completely forget again until the next time it's brought up and it just repeats.
    edited February 2019
    Few years ago, you'd have anywhere between 9-16 MC Mirrors and the Powerhouse was always packed with players editing their characters.

Worst part is all my beautiful characters and their glorious costumes are locked behind GOLD status. :disappointed:
    That's why I corrected Lei's "fairly large" description above... but the "pretty dead" is an extreme as well, just to the other direction. There are enough players for doing any content you want... and at the bottom line, that's what matters.

10+ shards is indeed the past now, currently 2-3 is the average, with maybe 4 at peak hours. During events, player-made or regular, it used to go up above 6, and with big events like the anniversary to near 10 shards. I agree, these are not wow-killer numbers... still, you can find group for anything, chat and economy are working, and the playerbase is active and friendly. 

Second is valid too, the idea of putting FreeForm behind the sub was pretty harsh in the first place, and now with the subscription is gone, those players who used to return and pay a month of sub for a quick fun with their old characters are now kicked aside. The cost of turning all the characters to FF could end up pretty high, even with the lowered price tag.
    I didn't realize they ditched the sub-model. So ... I would have to pay fee to recover each character individually? Ouch. What a bad design decision for people who invested a lot of money prior. No wonder it's "dead." :D
    edited February 2019
    Yep, happened last Fall - was planned for June but the community stepped up against the original plans and the suits needed to reconsider. Which shows two good things at once, the "nearly dead" community still has a voice ;) and also Cryptic still listens to the community when the PWE overlords plan something dumb without really knowing their own games.

Eventually game left the subscription behind with much better circumstances than what the original announcement listed, but it still is harsh for that one particular group mentioned before. The veteran players, with lots of Gold characters, CO is not their main game anymore but sometimes, maybe once in a year, log back for a month to play around, subscribed. Yep, those players were screwed by this change, big time. And it is not a small group, unfortunately...

(and they only bump into it when they are exactly in the mood of returning, which is double bad.
    Imagine you feel like playing a bit with your old characters to scratch the superhero itch, download the game, log in - and the game says no play with your characters. You used to drop in $12-$15 for the sub, but that is not available. It really could break down the mood for playing CO at all...)