Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What side of MMORPG design do you stand on?

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Vermillion_Raventhal.  I am not a big fan of people making posts asking folks what they think, and then quarreling with them after they answer. Or when people do that to bump their own posts. If you want to go on thinking that games with group content are somehow forcing you to group, you just go on thinking that.
    sunandshadow

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    1. Horizontal progression/shallow progression vs. vast vertical progression. --> capped vertical

2. Levels vs. no levels/no power platform levels. --> see above

3. Simulation vs. game first. --> Virtual world simulation

4. No death penalty or harsh death penalty. --> Moderate

5. Forced grouping vs. optional grouping/solo play. --> both should be viable choices

6. Player housing or no player housing.  --> Mostly useless

7. Open World PvP vs. restricted PvP or no PvP. --> Controlled PVP, Risk should be manageable by players

8. Full loot vs. limited or no looting. --> limited looting

9. Hard difficulty vs. easy difficulty.  --> Moderate to difficult, players choice

10. Questing vs. MOB grinding. --> Mixture of both

11. PvE having best drops vs. crafting making best gear. --> I 'hate' crafting, better to make  both viable.

12. Questing/kill based advancement vs. usage base advancement.  --> Time based progression a la EVE.

13. themepark vs. sandbox. --> "Sand Park", more like EVE, less like WURM, no survival.

14. End game vs. no end game.  --> No end game, but definitely activities reserved for more experienced or longer term players.

15. Cash shops vs. cosmetic or no cash shop. --> That ship has sailed, as long as items purchased in cash shop don't negatively impact my gameplay I'm good with them.

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.  --> B2P with regular sub for all content, again, a ship that has long since sailed unfortunately.

AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    1. Horizontal progression/shallow progression vs. vast vertical progression.

2. Levels vs. no levels/no power platform levels.

3. Simulation vs. game first.

4. No death penalty or harsh death penalty.

5. Forced grouping vs. optional grouping/solo play.

6. Player housing or no player housing. 

7. Open World PvP vs. restricted PvP or no PvP.

8. Full loot vs. limited or no looting.

9. Hard difficulty vs. easy difficulty. 

10. Questing vs. MOB grinding.

11. PvE having best drops vs. crafting making best gear.

12. Questing/kill based advancement vs. usage base advancement.

13. themepark vs. sandbox.

14. End game vs. no end game.

15. Cash shops vs. cosmetic or no cash shop.

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.
    1. Horizontal

2. Levels

3. Simulation

4. No death penalty

5. Optional grouping

6. No player housing

7. Open World PvP

8. Full loot

9. Easy difficulty

10. Questing

11. Crafting

12. Kill based advancement

13. Sandbox

14. End game

15. Cosmetics

16. F2P

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    Amathe said:
    If you want to go on thinking that games with group content are somehow forcing you to group, you just go on thinking that.
    I am curious what you call it though so it doesn’t trigger anyone else in the future. It’s not exactly “group friendly” or “group optional” if there is no logical way to play without being in a group and depending on others at all times to advance. Group or die? Grouping Enforced? Solo discouraged? Solo Unfriendly?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited February 2019
    Palebane said:
    Amathe said:
    If you want to go on thinking that games with group content are somehow forcing you to group, you just go on thinking that.
    I am curious what you call it though so it doesn’t trigger anyone else in the future. It’s not exactly “group friendly” or “group optional” if there is no logical way to play without being in a group and depending on others at all times to advance. Group or die? Grouping Enforced? Solo discouraged? Solo Unfriendly?
    I use the term mmorpg. And I have never played one where it was impossible to advance by some soloing. But by their nature they are group oriented games.
    deniter

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Amathe said:
    Vermillion_Raventhal.  I am not a big fan of people making posts asking folks what they think, and then quarreling with them after they answer. Or when people do that to bump their own posts. If you want to go on thinking that games with group content are somehow forcing you to group, you just go on thinking that.
    Yeah I have 3k post in 15 years.  You can tell I am a total spammer.

I didn't set out to quarrel with you. I didn't even respond to you directly initially. But you do have me curious what do you call games where you are required to group to play besides forced grouping.  You never really gave a good answer besides just being annoyed.
    DMKano said:
    This is where I stand 

When you've done every type of MMO with every feature imaginable as nauseam, umm no thanks.

Mmorpg design has grown old, stale predictable and downright boring. I dont want to do the same old crap again but dressed up in a different package with different text. Enough.

If there is ever a game that brings a different approach, a new type of gameplay in a cohesive polished game - color me interested. Otherwise it's the same old - give it a try for a few days, leave disappointed 
    I don't think there will ever be a combination of funds, talent, ideas and creative freedom to move this genre forward.  
    AlBQuirky
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited February 2019
    THe MMORPG genre is going to die, and be rekindled by some developer who is making some other type of game and does great MMORPGish things by accident.  :D
    PhaserlightPalebaneAlBQuirky[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    (deleted for space, copied below)

Wide horizontal and shallow progression.
    Allow players to form friendships that don't get divided by levels.
    Allow players to take time off without falling far behind.
    With horizontal progression, gaining new abilities, a vacationer can come back and still be productive, just not as wide in range of abilities and options.

Skill based advancement. This can include Classes, by the way, if there's a difference from "common" skills. Or if Classes simply require a set of skills for entrance and Class bonuses.

Simulated World. But you can't discount great gaming, too. They are not necessarily at odds.

Loss of gear and loot. MOBs looting corpses and stashing excess in MOB hoards, rewards for players who get to it.

Optional. I think a game should be balanced towards grouping beyond low levels of play, but allow solo play as a challenge, increasing as the levels of difficulty increase. This is generally speaking. The highest level of content should be near impossible for even the most skilled of adventurers to do anything in beyond stealth scouting the fringes.

Yes, player housing. Custome! Anywhere it will fit, with level ground buildup under it.
    Houses should be subject to attack (player and MOBs--  break-ins, theft, damage) so that cities have more meaning and building in the wilds is a challenge that requires full time defense via NPCs, Pets, and magical wards.

Open World PvP with a deep Justice System. Including in cities, but with NPCs and Pets as guards. Cities should have seedy areas, thieves need game play too. 

Full Loot, treated as Stealing/Theft with it's own unique set of penalties under the Justice System.

Widely ranging. Ultimately hard.

Adventuring! Exploration! Discovery! AI so MOB grinding turns into an adventure, and the world doesn't stay static.

Both. Players should be able to make anything, but there should be discovery involved. This should be a deep system, and it should include skills such as construction.
    If a players wants to build an arched ceiling, he should first discover how to make it. This can be found out there in ruins or dungeons.
    If a player wants to make a weapon of the greatest power, he should first have to discover all the components and techniques to make it. 

Use based skill advancement, but with Discovery of unique higher levels of "specials." Many special sub-skills, arts, crafts, special attack and defense moves, magical spells, and adaptations.

Sandbox all the way. A WORLD!

No end game. Let the WORLD live and breath.

None whatsoever. Let everything come through game play. Let it all be earned.
    Charge $19.95 per month and give a great WORLD, a great experience.

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.

PTP so that the game can continue to advance, fix, add, whatever is needed.

Once upon a time....

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    1. Horizontal progression

2. no levels

3. Both simulation and game mechanics

4. harsh death penalty.

5. Forced grouping

6. Player housing

7. Open World PvP and structured PVP

8. limited looting.

9. Hard difficulty

10. Questing and MOB grinding.

11. PvE and crafting making best gear.

12. This one doesnt make sense to me

13. Sandpark

14. End game with less emphasis on progression

15. cosmetic or no cash shop.

16. B2P

Amathe said:
    Yeah I have 3k post in 15 years.  You can tell I am a total spammer.

I didn't set out to quarrel with you. I didn't even respond to you directly initially. But you do have me curious what do you call games where you are required to group to play besides forced grouping.  You never really gave a good answer besides just being annoyed.
    I call it multi-fucking-player. Player teamwork is kind of the point of having people interact together in one virtual world. In my not so humble opinion, the point when MMORPGs started to cater to the players who just wanted to disappear down their own personal rabbit hole and diddle themselves all day is when the genre began to turn to utter shit.
    Or maybe that's just the limited mindset of being combat oriented games.  There are ways to have players need each other other than it being forced through combat.

SWG and UO were very social because the world and backbone of the game was interdependent. Combat was very solo friendly.

Forced grouping is just a road block to playing.  Meaning you can't play without a group.  Then you have group finders just get you going through the motions of playing with others who don't want to group.  
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    I call it multi-fucking-player. Player teamwork is kind of the point of having people interact together in one virtual world. In my not so humble opinion, the point when MMORPGs started to cater to the players who just wanted to disappear down their own personal rabbit hole and diddle themselves all day is when the genre began to turn to utter shit.
    I guess. I enjoyed soloing in eq with my necro. I preferred grouping, but it was a good challenge sometimes while waiting. Unlike my cleric who stood in town handing out buffs. Pretty sure Ultima and SWG had a decent amount of self-diddling as well. Are you talking about text-based games where you had to interact (type) to play at all?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.
    The issue here, is all of these are like "Check Box" things and I have seen all of them done really well in some form or another, and all of them done total crap in one form or another as well as well.

So its' hard to say, "I want this".. when the reality is.. it needs to be what fits well into the game, some ideas fit better than others, the focus should always be, what will work best of the core design of the game.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    1. vertical progression (with slower power gains at high levels than low levels)

2. Levels

3. game first

4. harsh death penalty

5. Forced grouping

6. Player housing

7. Open World PvP

8. limited or no looting

9. Hard difficulty

10. Both Questing and MOB grinding.

11. Both (PvE having best drops vs. crafting making best gear)

12. I like SWG where you gain XP in the skill you used when you kill something, so sort of both, sort of neither. (Questing/kill based advancement vs. usage base advancement.)

13. sandbox

14. End Game, but not really.

16. B2P > P2P >>>>F2P
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited February 2019
    Multiplayer is any game where multiple people can play together. Forced grouping makes me think;

"See that dungeon over there? I'm not allowed to do that by myself and if I can't find a group I'm stuck at this piece of content"
    AlBQuirkyVermillion_Raventhal
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    1. Horizontal progression/shallow progression

2. no levels/no power platform levels.

3. game first.

4. harsh death penalty.

5. Forced grouping

6. Player housing

7. Open World PvP

8. Full loot

9. Hard difficulty

10. MOB grinding.

11. crafting making best gear.

12. usage base advancement.

13. sandbox.

14. no end game.

16. P2P
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

Not particular about the type of progression , all of it is fine with me.

Aagin no preference. I like making progress and any metric measuring that works.

Not sure what you mean by this do you mean a life simulator. I like games like Fallen Earth where you have to feed the horse and gas your car. I love the systems in Black Desert and seeing my workers actually gathering stuff.

Harsh Death Penalty

Combination.

Player housing

Restricted PvP

No looting for PvP and full drop of loot and gear in death in PvE like Everquest.

Hard

Both

Crafting but better looking gear from PvE drops.

Combination

Combination

No preference

Cosmetic

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.
    P2P

Chamber of Chains
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If I would choose a design side to stand on its that each mmorpg should be their own game instead of being a collection of features from already existing mmorpg. Make it different, fun and exciting and I won't mind if it has additional things I don't really care for.
    AlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

As I get older I kind of prefer Horizontal but Vertical can be fine as well.

Doesn't matter.

Simulation. I'd prefer little "game play" and just a robust world to explore with people. Find my own way. I tend to do that now which is why I also tend to cut myself off from a variety of content in newer mmorpg's. When I played Black desert I never got a compass as I never played the quests that allowed me to get it from the correct npc. I ended up navigating the desert by sight and love it.

Harsh

I don't believe in "forced" anything. You either play a game for what it offers or not. Doesn't matter to me.

Housing

There are crappy players everywhere but but bad pvp players can be some of the worst. So at this point, even though I've loved Open world pvp, I'd say restricted or no pvp.

No looting or limited

Hard

NO questing. No. That is a dirty word to me now.

crafting.

either

Sandbox

No End game

don't care

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.

buy to play or pay to play.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited February 2019
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    When I played Black desert I never got a compass as I never played the quests that allowed me to get it from the correct npc. I ended up navigating the desert by sight and love it.
    That was cool indeed. I felt lost too. For a short time, but it was immersive. Maybe if the desert was 20 times bigger, with that survival element - it would be brilliant. And then I get angry. Instead 20 virtual copies of the map, these stupid incompetent noobs could make 20 different OW maps, so the big dessert would exist. But no, they screwed everything.

Also I'm disappointed from your list. You played L2 and EVE in their best years, what happened to you, how you became a solo player?
    Easy, crappy players.

I'm tired of them.

I'm not talking about people who "don't know how to play" I'm talking about the people who are essentially trash. They clog up games, polluting them. I don't suffer them in regular life I sure as hell am not going to suffer them in a video game.

There were a few in Lineage 2 but essentialy mostly good people. I find more of them in Black Desert. Have to turn off general as it's just garbage. There is more of that now then "wayyy back when."

I should point out that I mostly soloed in Lineage 2 up to the highest levels and then did group content. pvp was mostly group content, some solo. Some people would pk me and then I'd get them back only to have them cry and threatent and whine. wtf.

Also, I tried EVE but never truly played it.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    When I played Black desert I never got a compass as I never played the quests that allowed me to get it from the correct npc. I ended up navigating the desert by sight and love it.
    That was cool indeed. I felt lost too. For a short time, but it was immersive. Maybe if the desert was 20 times bigger, with that survival element - it would be brilliant. And then I get angry. Instead 20 virtual copies of the map, these stupid incompetent noobs could make 20 different OW maps, so the big dessert would exist. But no, they screwed everything.

Also I'm disappointed from your list. You played L2 and EVE in their best years, what happened to you, how you became a solo player?
    Easy, crappy players.

I'm tired of them.

I'm not talking about people who "don't know how to play" I'm talking about the people who are essentially trash. They clog up games, polluting them. I don't suffer them in regular life I sure as hell am not going to suffer them in a video game.

There were a few in Lineage 2 but essentialy mostly good people. I find more of them in Black Desert. Have to turn off general as it's just garbage. There is more of that now then "wayyy back when."

I should point out that I mostly soloed in Lineage 2 up to the highest levels and then did group content. pvp was mostly group content, some solo. Some people would pk me and then I'd get them back only to have them cry and threatent and whine. wtf.

Every player is crappy. You and me too. It is not possible everybody to like you. In any game I meet bad and good people. Sometimes even great people. Anyway. To play solo MMOs is really a waste I think. And honestly the best part of L2 is the good clan. Without that, L2 is a crap game.

Anyway, now imagine the BDO desert, but 20 times bigger, without all these supportive items. With heat that kills, but only during the day. With dangerous mobs. And with soft permadeath like that in Wizardry. And there is an entrance to a dungeon with bosses and epic items. But the location of that entrance changes constantly. That will be great game I think, a real PvE.
    Oh yeah, preaching to the choir about the desert. It's a missed opportunity.

As far as the people, what can I say, I don't have many poisonous people (if any) in my life and I just don't feel like paying money for the privilege of having them.

It's not about people liking one's self. It's about people who just spew garbage with everything they say. And sure, there are people like that in pve games but I find more of them, even if it is a vocal minority, in pvp games. And I'm done with them if I can help it. 
    Amaranthar

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited February 2019
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:
    ikcin said:
    Sovrath said:

Easy, crappy players.

I'm tired of them.

Every player is crappy. You and me too. It is not possible everybody to like you. In any game I meet bad and good people. Sometimes even great people. Anyway. To play solo MMOs is really a waste I think. And honestly the best part of L2 is the good clan. Without that, L2 is a crap game.

Anyway, now imagine the BDO desert, but 20 times bigger, without all these supportive items. With heat that kills, but only during the day. With dangerous mobs. And with soft permadeath like that in Wizardry. And there is an entrance to a dungeon with bosses and epic items. But the location of that entrance changes constantly. That will be great game I think, a real PvE.
    Oh you mean like Atlas,yeah i am playing that game right now.With the proper settings "private"servers,it is fully immersive,from the weather to eco system,to realistic mobs,realistic water and sailing,ZERO yellow markers over npc heads,NO linear questing,FULLY open ended game.It is VERY tough to survive and no not just the food/drink but lions and tigers and bears oh my,can catch you off guard at any moment because it is an OPEN game,no linear walled dungeons where you can see everything to prepare for.

For myself it has been a breathe of fresh air,to play something that feels like an adult game,feels real and no hand holding of any kind.Atlas is more of an immersive rpg than the rpg's are.
    Sovrath

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Ooh, good range of questions. I have a feeling I won't be on any side, but way out there for the most part. More of a return to PnP RPGs. MMORPGs don't really work as a niche game, the cost to make new content is too high for a small player base. So the game really needs to be appealing to as large of a group as possible, including those who would consider themselves non-gamers.
    1. I guess this would be vast shallow progression
    2. No levels, only skill and power.
    3. Entertainment first, more of a virtual reality than a game
    4. Perma death but really hard to die, re-rolling you don't start at 0
    5. Beneficial and easy access group play
    6. Player housing, player bases, player scenarios, player designed gear 
    7. Opt in PvP penalizing gankers
    8. Full loot, but with a focus on character progression gear is less significant
    9. Player choice of difficulty customizable at will
    10. Option to take "quests" or just do what you want, wide variety of quest paths.
    11. Best gear available from player crafting and gear modding
    12. Skill use advancement
    13. themepark in a sandbox.
    14. No end game
    15. Cash shops 
    16. P2P with more variety of options (light sub for those who can't play often) and Support to Play options.
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542
    1. Horizontal progression/shallow progression

2. Levels

3. Simulation vs. game first. - not sure what exactly does it mean

4. No death penalty

5. Optional grouping/solo play.

6. Player housing

7. No PvP.

8. Full loot (if there is no PvP)

9. Easy difficulty. 

10. Questing

11. Cafting making best gear.

12. Questing/kill based advancement

13. themepark

14. End game

15. Cosmetic or no cash shop.

16. F2P
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

16. F2P vs. B2P vs. P2P.

1. Vertical
    2. Levels or skillpoints (endless preferred)
    3. Not sure I understand the question.. Giving it a shot, virtual world with minimal gamey stuff
    4. Death Penalty / consequence
    5. Encouraged grouping (by design), but with high versatility in group composition and size.
    6. Indifferent
    7. Pve only
    8. See 7
    9. Hard difficulty, combination of power and player skill; safety in numbers, see 5. Encouraged grouping, and risk vs reward.
    10. Mob grinding with rng, and open ended questing instead of story driven.
    11. Combination.
    12. Do you mean xp vs skillpoints ? Indifferent, both can work well.
    13. Sandpark, pve sandbox, EqNext design
    14. I hate the term endgame, I will not let it define a base for an answer.
    15. ALL items must be aquired by playing the game, cosmetics included. Only microtransactions that I find acceptable are stuff like inventory space, character slots, external services, class unlocks(if also onlockable by playing), mini expansions and headstarts of content. Key points here are non intrusive stuff, and non gamey things that are not advertised and part of the actual ingame experience (minimal immersion breaking shop stuff, minimal player to player comparable stuff).