Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tracking down the malicious ads

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I just saw it pop up today through uBlock Origin - takes several seconds before the ad will load in, but if you leave a forum page up it does pop up. Haven't figured out how to block it yet... but guess I can always just stop coming to the forums.

That is what happens when forums abuse their visitors. after all.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Yeah today it's advertisements for Big Dick tee shirts.

Thanks.
    DakeruTiller
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Ridelynn said:
    I just saw it pop up today through uBlock Origin - takes several seconds before the ad will load in, but if you leave a forum page up it does pop up. Haven't figured out how to block it yet... but guess I can always just stop coming to the forums.

That is what happens when forums abuse their visitors. after all.

I was able to block all the ads here, but it seems they found a new ad source that circumvents most blockers because they are desperate for us to see the ads. I guess I should switch to text only format so I never have to see them.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Now when I open articles here all I see are the sites ads, no article.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I see none of the shit you guys talk about .........  ahh well
    Kyleran
    Scorchien said:
    Well you must not have an Ad blocker then? :|
    If you did you would see how many ads and trackers are blocked.

Turn on AdBlock or Ghostery, log out then see if you can log in. They literally won't allow you to log into this site unless you turn ad blocks off.  You literally can not read any articles on this site unless you turn adblock off. Pretty lame if you ask me. Even Twitter is less annoying with ads.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Tiller said:
    Scorchien said:
    Well you must not have an Ad blocker then? :|
    If you did you would see how many ads and trackers are blocked.

Turn on AdBlock or Ghostery, log out then see if you can log in. They literally won't allow you to log into this site unless you turn ad blocks off.  You literally can not read any articles on this site unless you turn adblock off. Pretty lame if you ask me. Even Twitter is less annoying with ads.
    Twitter doesn't have 80+ ad servers running in code.  :D
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited February 2019
    Wrong thread sorry.
    Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Those malicious ads that were gone for a while seem to be back today.  With the way that the ad claims focus, I really think that it's trying to be a keylogger.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I thought maybe was flash cookies but is not.

Now i am not going to pretend i fully understand this because i am never in this business side of things so have never in my life used cookies or done business with.

However this is what i get for this site....It looks like an overall  picture of in/out,who this site is directly using and who is somehow linked back here.The few orange are the cookies.

I am not going to spend the time to try and figure out which one MIGHT be causing problems and that is if ANY actually are,that is up to this sites networking manager and business/owner to figure out and that is IF they care.

Honestly to me and you KNOW i would say otherwise,nothing looks malicious there.So what could be the problem,who knows,i don't have any problems on my end right now so i can't begin to figure it out but then again sometimes i have blocker on sometimes i don't so who knows.

https://netograph.io/datasets/social/uV2lSEguY7JRfZCzhW66Lw

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DisropDisrop Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I use Adblock in my browser all the time. This annoying advertising really pisses me off, it appears almost everywhere now, so this is the only option for me
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I assume these issues are resolved now? There is some irony when an adbot nercos a thread about malicious ads.
    Dakeru