Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(little late) NCSOFT 4th quarter 2018 (On the way to become a mobile dev?)

KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 919
Mobile revenues stabilized and are now their biggest source thanks mainly to Lineage M. Can't wait to see the effect of their upcoming mobile MMOs (Lineage 2M, Blade & Soul 2, etc).

Royalties also remain strong thanks to Lineage M in Taiwan.

Mobile Games - 222 billion KRW
Lineage 1 - 39 billion KRW
Blade & Soul - 24 billion KRW
Lineage 2 - 20 billion KRW
Guild Wars 2 - 15 billion KRW
Aion - 12 billion KRW

Royalties - 53 billion KRW.

«1

Comments

  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,050
    Its a time of Kim Karshadians, Influenzas, Twich  Heroes and Trump presidents. Also with the possibility to reach way more people with mobile phones- more of " a fool and his money shall be parted". Its like the IQ is dropping, mass brainwash is super easy and casino gayms are okay.
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    Not overly surprised as mobile is a huge sector especially over in Asia.  Lineage 2 results look good and assume it is due to the classic servers.

    GW2 suffering.
  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,206
    The people that have mobile phones are much more than the PCs owners. And most PC or console owners have old machines. So this spreadsheet is logical.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,675
    You all have phones, right?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,913
    edited February 17
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being a bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be
    Torval
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,675
    Scorchien said:
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being the bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be


    Not sure how long of a life Arenanet has at this point.
    Gdemami
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,877
    Not only does Lineage still crush it on PC, but I think most of their mobile success has been Lineage IP as well. Maybe BnS mobile or their other new mobiles have taken off though, but Lineage has been the strong leader on both fronts. It's amazing.
    Scorchien
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,773
    I wonder if bots infest their mobile games too?
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 3,952
    I wonder if bots infest their mobile games too?
    Why when it's automated already.
    anemo
  • aummoidaummoid Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Seems to me that based on the numbers, they already ARE a mobile dev that has some PC games on the side. Their mobile business is pulling in twice the revenues of their PC business.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,773
    I wonder if bots infest their mobile games too?
    Why when it's automated already.
    I was making a snarky wise ass remark given their facilitated bot problem in their PC games.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,099
    That is one company I wouldnt miss if they folded up shop tomorrow.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,309
    I wonder if ArenaNet has figured out by now that their Living Story updates are killing them.
    Seriously, no one cares.
    Just release an expansion every year and ride it out until NCsoft closes it down.


    Mobile makes more than twice as much money as all their PC games ....once again.
    The "you all have phones, dont you" is a stupid meme that NCsoft is taking to the BANK.
    And people wonder why Blizzard is focusing a ton of development on mobile.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being the bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be


    Not sure how long of a life Arenanet has at this point.
    NcSoft does not own ArenaNet in the sense they can close them down like they did with Wildstar, , they can at best break partnership with them.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,309
    edited February 18
    Ungood said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being the bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be


    Not sure how long of a life Arenanet has at this point.
    NcSoft does not own ArenaNet in the sense they can close them down like they did with Wildstar, , they can at best break partnership with them.
    NCsoft bought ArenaNet on December 12, 2002 for $15.5 million.

    There is no "partnership", they are a subsidiary.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    edited February 18
    Xiaoki said:
    Ungood said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being the bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be


    Not sure how long of a life Arenanet has at this point.
    NcSoft does not own ArenaNet in the sense they can close them down like they did with Wildstar, , they can at best break partnership with them.
    NCsoft bought ArenaNet on December 12, 2002 for $15.5 million.

    There is no "partnership", they are a subsidiary.
    ArenaNet already made it publicly clear they autonomous, In the sense they do not answer to NcSoft, nor can NcSoft close them down, they explained this during the scare when City of Hero's was closed down, hence why GW1 is still alive and running even if it was making less than CoH did when NCSoft closed that game down. ArenaNet is not at NcSoft's mercy.
    Gdemami
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Learning that these are businesses.  They could spend hundreds of millions on a mmorpg for PC that will most likely fail with a loss or break even...maybe squeak a profit out over the long term.

    Or spend 1/8th of that on a mobile game and rake in the money.

    Guess what they are going to do?

    Mind you this publisher is shutting down PC mmorpgs...they do not have any wildly successful mmorpg to warrant adding a new one and siphoning their shrinking playerbase.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 919
    edited February 18
    Learning that these are businesses.  They could spend hundreds of millions on a mmorpg for PC that will most likely fail with a loss or break even...maybe squeak a profit out over the long term.

    Or spend 1/8th of that on a mobile game and rake in the money.

    Guess what they are going to do?

    Mind you this publisher is shutting down PC mmorpgs...they do not have any wildly successful mmorpg to warrant adding a new one and siphoning their shrinking playerbase.
    Lineage M is a full port of Lineage 1 for Mobile. NC's last big hope for a PC MMO in Korea is Project TL, but until TL comes so we can see whether korean players will like it or not, their mobile projects so far look more promissing, Lineage 2M and Blade & Soul 2 both look gorgeous for a mobile game.

    PC MMOs are getting difficult times today. Wildstar never broke even, 4 years in operation, never paid its development costs, resulting on its demise. But Project TL can be successful in eastern markets, they just need to deliver a proper Lineage game.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,675
    Ungood said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Ungood said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being the bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be


    Not sure how long of a life Arenanet has at this point.
    NcSoft does not own ArenaNet in the sense they can close them down like they did with Wildstar, , they can at best break partnership with them.
    NCsoft bought ArenaNet on December 12, 2002 for $15.5 million.

    There is no "partnership", they are a subsidiary.
    ArenaNet already made it publicly clear they autonomous, In the sense they do not answer to NcSoft, nor can NcSoft close them down, they explained this during the scare when City of Hero's was closed down, hence why GW1 is still alive and running even if it was making less than CoH did when NCSoft closed that game down. ArenaNet is not at NcSoft's mercy.


    They are at the mercy of shrinking revenue which has been the story for majority video game studios for the last year+

    GW2 cannot float the company anymore... so what do they have to save them?
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Man i really liked NCSoft back when Aion was subscription based. I miss that version of the game, pvp was fun. Now days I have very little hope for NCSoft. As someone who cut my teeth on Lineage 2 this makes me very sad.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    DMKano said:
    Ungood said:
    Xiaoki said:
    Ungood said:
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
      Always , very interetsing to me that Lineage 1 still crushes all there other PC games , such a dedicated a great following for that game ...

      And lol at GW2 .. being the bottom feeder in NCSOft stable is never a good place to be


    Not sure how long of a life Arenanet has at this point.
    NcSoft does not own ArenaNet in the sense they can close them down like they did with Wildstar, , they can at best break partnership with them.
    NCsoft bought ArenaNet on December 12, 2002 for $15.5 million.

    There is no "partnership", they are a subsidiary.
    ArenaNet already made it publicly clear they autonomous, In the sense they do not answer to NcSoft, nor can NcSoft close them down, they explained this during the scare when City of Hero's was closed down, hence why GW1 is still alive and running even if it was making less than CoH did when NCSoft closed that game down. ArenaNet is not at NcSoft's mercy.


    They are at the mercy of shrinking revenue which has been the story for majority video game studios for the last year+

    GW2 cannot float the company anymore... so what do they have to save them?
    2 main points:

    1: GW2 is doing fine, they are sill making half a million a month, which is more than enough to keep them up and running.. in fact they have risen back to pre HoT income numbers, so they are doing quite well, not dying by a long shot.

    2: Like any company they need to make money or they are screwed, they just have control over their own fate.
    bcbullyGdemami
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,628
    Way too much greed,these developers have too many big shots at the table who contribute nothing to gaming but want huge payrolls and bonuses.If me or you made 1 million a year we would be jumping up and down for joy.
    These developers can pay all their bills with the first month of profits but they want more.Nobody is happy unless they fill their  greed mode and that is sad because nothing anymore is about gaming or the quality of,it is all about businesses and making money.

    It is so bad it has filtered down to the gamer,now all these poor teenagers,young adults are turning to streaming in hopes to make a living from gaming.We have long had rmt operations with 20-100 people working for them.

    It sure  would be nice if we could just get back to gaming and leave all that other crap outside the door.

    Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,877
    Kabulozo said:
    Learning that these are businesses.  They could spend hundreds of millions on a mmorpg for PC that will most likely fail with a loss or break even...maybe squeak a profit out over the long term.

    Or spend 1/8th of that on a mobile game and rake in the money.

    Guess what they are going to do?

    Mind you this publisher is shutting down PC mmorpgs...they do not have any wildly successful mmorpg to warrant adding a new one and siphoning their shrinking playerbase.
    Lineage M is a full port of Lineage 1 for Mobile. NC's last big hope for a PC MMO in Korea is Project TL, but until TL comes so we can see whether korean players will like it or not, their mobile projects so far look more promissing, Lineage 2M and Blade & Soul 2 both look gorgeous for a mobile game.

    PC MMOs are getting difficult times today. Wildstar never broke even, 4 years in operation, never paid its development costs, resulting on its demise. But Project TL can be successful in eastern markets, they just need to deliver a proper Lineage game.
    Does Lineage M play like traditional PC Lineage? Do you play with a controller or gestures? The thought made me feel nostalgic. :lol:
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • ikcinikcin Member RarePosts: 2,206
    edited February 19
    Ungood said:
    NcSoft does not own ArenaNet in the sense they can close them down like they did with Wildstar, , they can at best break partnership with them.
    In fact NCSoft owns ArenaNet, and can shutdown GW2 whenever they want. But why they will do it, only you know probably :)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    ikcin said:
    The people that have mobile phones are much more than the PCs owners. And most PC or console owners have old machines. So this spreadsheet is logical.
    That probably is the case in the Asian market, which is where the revenue is being generated by the mobile apps, with the other games seeing a gradual decrease in revenue, with the exception of Lineage II, this just continues the trend of NCSoft losing ground outside of the Asian market, but when you look at the figures its easy to understand why Blizzard is trying to break into the Asian mobile market, i just don't think they can though as its not an open market and the current 'players' are pretty much entrenched.  :p
Sign In or Register to comment.