Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online 2019

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
I'm pretty sure everyone would agree ESO did not have a great launch back in April 2014. From server issues, latency, disconnects, broken quests, missing dialogue and an additional assortment of annoying bugs. I was in the beta for a short stint but was rather displeased with how the game felt considering how fantastic Skyrim was. Needless to say, I did not purchase the game at release, but the game I was dying to play, known as ArcheAge, eventually showed it's true P2W colors after official launch in September 2014, so after my 3 months were up from my ArcheAge Alpha Founders pack, I basically jumped ship to give ESO a try. Perfect timing really, since it was super cheap during the December holiday sale.

At that time, ESO was a completely different beast with a much more optimized system and fleshed out quest system with working dialogue. Right around early 2015, after a month of playing, I was convinced ESO was going to become one of the best MMOs of the century. I enjoyed my time very much, but ended up giving Black Desert Online a go when it released in early 2016, eventually coming back to ESO off and on for new content, then stopping altogether for the past year, year and a half.

I just preordered the new expansion Elswyr and started getting back into it over the past week or two. Finally inputting a little more time and effort into the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, which by the way are both amazing additions to the game. I have done very little in Summerset's new guild, the Psyjic Order, but I literally have soooo much content to makeup that it's probably going to be on hold for a couple months. Hopefully I can finish it before Elswyr releases this Spring though, but we'll see. Anyhow, just want to give a bulletin list of things I enjoy about the current state of the game and why it might possibly be drawing in a lot of players from other games.

• First off, the game is running quite well. I don't believe I've had a single game related disconnect since I've been back. There is an apparent widespread problem with loading into dungeons, zoning and loading into the game itself. As in, it takes a while. Nothing too crazy though, so not something you need to write home about.
  • The graphics are truly very good. Not the best, but definitely good. The overall aesthetics though is AMAZING. The flow of scenery and the variety of terrain from one zone to the next is second to none. The variety and intricacy of skill / spell effects are above average to decent.
  • The current amount of content is pretty ridiculous for a game that is only 5 years old. The variety of mobs is fairly close to the variety of zones and genuinely compliments zone differences. Along with the variety of armor and weapon sets, leads to a fairly decent customizable look for players. Not to mention the ton of stuff available to purchase in the cash shop. Now I know I've mentioned my overwhelming distaste for cash shops, but that's more towards PvP focused games. Yes, ESO has PvP, but the cash shop really doesn't offer anything that impedes on the balance within it's PvP mechanics.
  • The PvP, also known as Cyrodill is probably the second best PvP I've had the pleasure of experiencing since Dark Age of Camelot, which oddly enough it mimics VERY well. The map is HUGE, which allows for a ton of strategic maneuvers as well as shock troop / small group tactics to be effective, instead of just zerg versus zerg. A wide variety of siege weapons with more being implemented with the new update gives players a variety of roles and tons of stuff to do.
  • F2P / Subscription Hybrid similar to that of Black Desert Online or Lord of the Rings Online. ESO plus, is your basic $15 a month subscription which adds a ton of convenience, such as double bank and inventory space, access to ALL content like LOTRO does in addition to A LOT of store crowns each month.
  • Current ESO population is baffling and I'm not talking about current content hubs. The entire game, from every zone to every city to every village and every dungeon. I'm not even joking. I walk anywhere and I'm guaranteed to run into players every 2-3 minutes at most. There are A LOT of dungeons in the game and I have a better chance of seeing someone in every one of them then not seeing someone. It's really that crazy.
  • BONUS! The gold selling appears to have been completely annihilated. I haven't seen a single mention from a gold seller in chat or mail in the past 1-2 weeks since I've been back. Yet, player trading is still alive and well and EXTREMELY active. Take note BDO! Player trading can exist in an MMO without being plagued by gold sellers.
  • Current community is still above average, but I suspect quite a few players have been filtering in from other games. I've noticed quite a few players with some vulgar and disgusting names along with some not so pleasant zone chat. I won't go too much into it, but I think this is evident of just how fed up WoW players are with Blizzard because it seems a lot of them have been migrating to ESO.
  • Last but not least, the leveling in ESO is actually not bad. Even without using EXP scrolls or food, I actually don't even pay attention because of the amount of features, shineys and other distracting aspects in the game. For once, I don't FEEL like I'm leveling, but rather enjoying my time adventuring and exploring.

So, that's about all I can come up with right now because it's 3:30 in the morning and I'm beyond tired. There truly is so much more to the game then what I elaborated on, such as player housing, furnishing, picking locks on chests, picking locks on houses, picking pockets, criminal bounties, thieving safe havens, assassinations, cold blooded murder and yeah, I think you get the picture. Let's also not forget Dragons are coming in a couple months, oh my.

RexKushmanklash2defTruvidien88Nycteliosgervaise1CryomatrixOctagon7711SlyLoK

Comments

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I have been thinking about getting back into it. I feel as the combat is why I stopped. What are your thoughts on the current state of combat?
  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 52
    When I read "review" and there in the first few lines pop up words like "amazing", "perfect", "great" or "awesome", its is already clear what author was about to say - no need for a text wall, really!
    natpick
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
    moguy1 said:
    I have been thinking about getting back into it. I feel as the combat is why I stopped. What are your thoughts on the current state of combat?
    Well, I guess if you can explain what it was about the combat you didn't like, than it would be easier to conclude if it's improved or not.

When I read "review" and there in the first few lines pop up words like "amazing", "perfect", "great" or "awesome", its is already clear what author was about to say - no need for a text wall, really!
    Review has nothing to do with the words or writing. Reviews are insight into game mechanics and impressions of the game. I'm not sure you understand what a review is if you think it's only supposed to be a short one paragraph praising or dislike.

• Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I've been enjoying the game myself even though the only expansion I've bought is Summerset because I've been back and forth on buying the rest or even do a sub fee. But the amount of content is crazy and right now one of my favorite things to do in game is pick pock chests. It always bums me out when I see people already working on one as I roam by :( lol.

Right now all my alts are AD. I've been looking to branch out and try other factions to see which one overall I enjoy most. I recently discovered I am terrible in BG's as well :)
    RexKushmanRhoklaw
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 13,109
    edited February 17
    I've been enjoying the game myself even though the only expansion I've bought is Summerset because I've been back and forth on buying the rest or even do a sub fee. But the amount of content is crazy and right now one of my favorite things to do in game is pick pock chests. It always bums me out when I see people already working on one as I roam by :( lol.

Right now all my alts are AD. I've been looking to branch out and try other factions to see which one overall I enjoy most. I recently discovered I am terrible in BG's as well :)
    Chests are a good way to gear up with zone-specific gear drops and so are those Psijic portals if you have unlocked your ability to see those.

If you're on PC there is add-on, Harvest Map, that helps with chests since they're just like any other resource node and always spawn on the same spot. The add-on keeps a data base of where you have previously harvested a resource and over time you get to know all the locations -  especially if it's a zone you play in often. You can also turn off any resource icon you're not interested in at the moment.
    gervaise1Truvidien88
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
    @Rhoklaw

Glad you're enjoying it. There are very few AAA MMOs worth playing these days (it's funny but just like you I also left ESO for both Archeage and BDO but came back in short order) and ESO is definitely one of those few.
    gervaise1Rhoklaw
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 3,877
    So I originally bought the game through Bethesda store does that mean I have to buy the expansion/s through there as well and not steam?
  • Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    edited February 17
    I'm pretty sure that you will enjoy summerset. Its main history is one of the best in the game.
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,536
    edited February 17
    I was torn between ESO or FF14.

And I was ready to buy all expansions and DLCs...

Then I entered Steam (where I own the base game) just to see they once again removed the DLCs and Expansions (most of them) from there (they were there literally couple days ago) just so you have to purchase crowns (which won't have an option to the amount you need, so you'll have to purchase more than you need) and buy them ingame on the store.

Again this?

Still doing this crap?

You aren't that special if you want me to work my way into purchasing your product.

Just take note I live in Brazil so maybe the store shitshow is just here.
    gervaise1RhoklawOctagon7711
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    Asheram said:
    So I originally bought the game through Bethesda store does that mean I have to buy the expansion/s through there as well and not steam?
    Stick to where you bought your base game, or you'll have issues.
    Octagon7711

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,408
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

The latest mega-collection pack includes almost all the DLC and is probably a cheaper way to go than buying the DLC individually. These days the game - at least it has been -  recognising packs that include the base game. Which wasn't the case initially.

As for Steam specifically other than - Toraval? - saying it was "fixed" I can't say. Integrating something bought from e.g. Amazon with something bought from e.g. the store has never been an issue.
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

The latest mega-collection pack includes almost all the DLC and is probably a cheaper way to go than buying the DLC individually. These days the game - at least it has been -  recognising packs that include the base game. Which wasn't the case initially.

As for Steam specifically other than - Toraval? - saying it was "fixed" I can't say. Integrating something bought from e.g. Amazon with something bought from e.g. the store has never been an issue.
    I can't purchase it on Steam because I already own the base game.

@Rhoklaw
    I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that you haven't tried Imperial City. Basically IC is to ESO what Darkness Falls is to DAoC. Mixed PvE / small scale PvP + twisty corridors. Doesn't have the lockouts that DF has.

So much content. 
    Rhoklaw
    edited February 17
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

So if I buy the mega collection pack from steam that has the base game I have to start over from scratch or can I still play my characters I already have names I like and time spent on?

Asheram said:
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

So if I buy the mega collection pack from steam that has the base game I have to start over from scratch or can I still play my characters I already have names I like and time spent on?
    I don't know how i works... My whole Issue is that I purchased, ironically, the Collectors Edition back in the day... Then they released the Gold Edition which had many DLCs and expack on it... and I can't buy it... because the gold edition is only for the ones who don't own the game already. And on the Steam front there is not option to upgrade my Collectors to Gold.

Now they made discount on  all items, I was ready to get them, day later they removed most of them, like they always do (like Morrowind, for example) and the "this and that" edition which contains them, as I said, I can't get it... because it count's as if I already have it.

So f me, I guess.
    Asheram

Actually, each faction gets the opportunity to quest in the enemy realms once you complete your factions main storyline. It used to fall under Cadwell's Silver and Gold questline, but not sure it follows that now since they removed Veteran Ranks and replaced that with Champion Points.

Rhoklaw said:

Actually, each faction gets the opportunity to quest in the enemy realms once you complete your factions main storyline. It used to fall under Cadwell's Silver and Gold questline, but not sure it follows that now since they removed Veteran Ranks and replaced that with Champion Points.
    Yeah it's still called Caldwell's Silver and Gold and it's tracked the same way as before.
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,745
    What does ESO do different than most of the other mmo?
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    I'm sure it's different for everyone but for me it's the hybrid class/classless system with a huge number of sets that modify and impact your builds in meaningful ways that hooked me.

The proliferation of gear sets came with the One Tamriel patch and it got very little mention because all everyone wanted to talk about was level scaling. But before 1T the number of dropped sets was very limited, level locked and only really an end-game thing. After 1T if you play normally and just quest and run dungeons you'll be mixing and matching sets right from the very beginning. Think D3 but instead of it being a post 70 thing you are getting full set bonuses right from the start.
    RhoklawGdemami
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,862
    Mostly any class can use any weapon and light, medium, or heavy armor or mixed them up.  Any class can become a werewolf or vampire hybrid.  
    RhoklawTruvidien88

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Asheram said:
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

Your question is two-fold. 

First part: When they initially launched the Gold Edition - the first "combo pack" - it didn't integrate. If people already had the game buying Gold would simply create a new "account". They quickly announced a 4 DLC pack.

They sorted this out. Register a game code to your account and it will just add it. Not create a new account!  

Second part: Steam integration. Caveat: I don't play the game using Steam. It used to have a lot of issues. Lots of discussion in Steam and ESO forums. The position today seems to be:

"if your steam and ESO accounts are properly linked, anything you add on ESO account will be added to steam. You need to make sure your ESO and steam accounts are linked properly."

Linking basically allows you to play any characters you created when using Steam on your non-Steam purchases.

You should also be able to play without going through the Steam launcher.

If in doubt though put a query into ZoS: "I intend to buy the xxx pack from your site and play ESO again; already have the base game on Steam will I be able to use my old characters". The other option would be buy it, try it and if it doesn't work ask for a refund but ....
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,798
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

The game runs fine through Steam now. Steam doesn't recognize DLC you haven't purchased from their store, but that doesn't matter just like most other MMOs. Once you log into the game you can access anything you've unlocked from either source. ZoS doesn't seem to care anymore where you bought things from. I haven't played the game in a while though so maybe things have changed. Their packages and marketing speak have always been sketchy.
    Nyctelios
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

gervaise1 said:
    Asheram said:
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

First part: When they initially launched the Gold Edition - the first "combo pack" - it didn't integrate. If people already had the game buying Gold would simply create a new "account". They quickly announced a 4 DLC pack.

They sorted this out. Register a game code to your account and it will just add it. Not create a new account!  

Second part: Steam integration. Caveat: I don't play the game using Steam. It used to have a lot of issues. Lots of discussion in Steam and ESO forums. The position today seems to be:

"if your steam and ESO accounts are properly linked, anything you add on ESO account will be added to steam. You need to make sure your ESO and steam accounts are linked properly."

Linking basically allows you to play any characters you created when using Steam on your non-Steam purchases.

If in doubt though put a query into ZoS: "I intend to buy the xxx pack from your site and play ESO again; already have the base game on Steam will I be able to use my old characters". The other option would be buy it, try it and if it doesn't work ask for a refund but ....
    Well I bought the base game through Bethesda and so I also don't run it through steam. Do the DLC packages purchased from Bethesda get the same sales as steam?
    Asheram said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Asheram said:
    gervaise1 said:
    @Nyctelios @Asheram ;  

Well I bought the base game through Bethesda and so I also don't run it through steam. Do the DLC packages purchased from Bethesda get the same sales as steam?
    Yup. Usually at the same time too.
    AsheramTorval
    ― CD PROJEKT RED