Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$5.5M gets you...

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

mmolouPanther2103kjellemann

Comments

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    What the hell is that? Like I get what it is, I just don't get anything else.. it seems like a bunch of kids making a game.

"Hey you know what would be real cool, lets build goat simulator"
    "What about Pre-Elyria or DSS"
    "Nah who cares, our fans will eat this randomness up anyway"
    "Yeah good idea, then secretly we will release this as a stand alone game"
    "Then run off with the millions we took from them"

Of course for all I knew, this only took a very short amount of time to make.
    Gdemamikjellemann
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Ragdoll demo looks good.

Hopefully they show more progress soon on the rest of the game, would be great.
    PrinceChawminKyleranGdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm assuming this is a very narrow slice of completed progress..

... Hoping?

... Not expecting, though.
    kjellemann

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    3-0-0+ threads for a game you guys hate. Simply amazing.

Great hyperbole again. $5.5m is what they have received in total. Spend = $5.5m less cash remaining. You have no idea what cash they have remaining.

A more accurate headlines would be "x months/years gets you..." but that wouldn't make such good trolling, would it?
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562

Great hyperbole again. $5.5m is what they have received in total. Spend = $5.5m less cash remaining. You have no idea what cash they have remaining.

A more accurate headlines would be "x months/years gets you..." but that wouldn't make such good trolling, would it?
    True but can you show me where they have released anything worth the time or money spent on the game? 
    [Deleted User]Panther2103
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

That's called a forum, buddy.  People do things here, like post threads and replies.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985

Way to deflect...  
    Would you say we should have been impressed with that clip?
    Honestly that looked like something James Proctor of Greedmonger fame produced.  
    [Deleted User]PhaserlightPanther2103KyleranGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited February 2019
    AnOldFart said:

True but can you show me where they have released anything worth the time or money spent on the game? 
    No, still doesn't justify the thread title. Or the 300 other threads on pretty much the same topic.
    mmolouGdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited February 2019

A year after game's originally scheduled launch you'll get to see ragdoll of a moose.
    Slapshot1188

edited February 2019
    That's called a forum, buddy.  People do things here, like post threads and replies.
    Depends on what type of forum you want. A place to have rational discussions or a place to troll. You obviously prefer the latter.
    Gdemami
    edited February 2019
    Way to deflect...  
    I'm not impressed but I don't see how that clip was posted with the intention to impress.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Way to deflect...  
    I'm not impressed but I don't see how that clip was posted with the intention to impress.
    Studios usually put out screenshots and clips for what purpose other than to impress folks with their progress and stir up interest?

It's only purpose is literally to "show off" their work.  "Hey look at what we did!"

Gdemami

edited February 2019
    Sure, but that includes a bit of humour. Doesn't mean it is meant to impress. This looks simply like a video saying "haha, here is a goat falling off a cliff". I don't find it amusing but once again that is irrelevant.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Way to deflect...  
    I am open to other ideas about why this particular clip was posted.  Let me invite you to explain what the intent and purpose of that clip was, in light of the lack of other clips.

I don't think they intended to be humorous.  A goat jumping off a cliff (not falling, btw) and the model nearly coming apart shows themselves in a bad light.  This is a non sequitur of development, nothing of the actual game that donor would actually want to see.

So, what is the intent of this clip?

MadFrenchie

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    For $250.00 in the cash shop you can buy a matching flying squirrel rag dog Rocky. 
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Sure, but that includes a bit of humour. Doesn't mean it is meant to impress. This looks simply like a video saying "haha, here is a goat falling off a cliff". I don't find it amusing but once again that is irrelevant.
    When one considers however that there is little to no info about anything else regarding the game, the clip doesn't sound so funny.

I remember at some point a developer posting a short clip of a human who, because of a bug, looked like a spider: the textures were all stretched and the movement all contorted. The difference there was that there was plenty of footage of what the game (or engine) looked like besides that little glitch, and the glitch itself was posted just for fun. Another example (I hope I'm not breaking NDA) is CU bouncing rubble when castles get destroyed, I don't know if they posted a clip of it, but they left it into the build for 1 extra test just because it was funny to look at and to let more players see it.

Here instead, the mists of Elyria have been covering the whole project so far and we know little to nothing of how the game looks like right now, and when one sees something like that pop up on the internet it's hard to repress the feeling that this is all there is.
    MendelSlapshot1188
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    The game is coming along very nicely.  After watching that video I am officially interested.  I do still have questions about my ability to customize the look of my goat, hopefully this gets addressed in the final release. 
    Panther2103KyleranSlapshot1188AnOldFarttweedledumb99TorrskStaalBurgher
  • InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Depends on what type of forum you want. A place to have rational discussions or a place to troll. You obviously prefer the latter.
    I really hope you aren't suggesting the CoE forums are a place for rational discussion.  I've seen people bring up valid concerns to just be down voted and told to trust the devs.  That's not a discussion.  Here at least I know no one will get defensive if I say I'm concerned about ______.  They also might not care, but at least I can say it.
    KyleranSlapshot1188AnOldFartTorrsk
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Ragdoll demo looks good.

Can't tell if serious....
    Slapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    I used to think that, but actually the more CoE changes from the kickstarter promise or fails to deliver the more I see that actually I wish I had listened pre kickstarter 
    Kyleran
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    edited February 2019
    Way to deflect...  
    Studios usually put out screenshots and clips for what purpose other than to impress folks with their progress and stir up interest?

It's only purpose is literally to "show off" their work.  "Hey look at what we did!"

EDIT: If anyone tries shifting the argument to be about CoE's general lack of progress without explaining why it's wrong to post a brief demo of tech features, I'm calling trolling and gonna say as much.

Another purpose is to give an account of progress to people who backed your game.

This is generally a good idea.

Both are marketing, broadly speaking, but one is to generate new interest and the other is to be more responsible (not saying "be perfect", don't troll me ppl) to your backers.
    Kyleran said:
    Ragdoll demo looks good.

Can't tell if serious....
    Am serious.

It looks decent. It's a tiny gif of a tech demo, showing ragdoll physics. Ragdoll physics are a good feature.

Man, the goofiness of some people baffles me.

All these crowdfunded games, if they were spending big $$ on making flashy, well-fleshed out "marketing products" to show off each of their features, people would rightly be calling them jackasses for wasting money during dev.

And hopefully nobody's gonna try shifting the goalposts to make this about CoE's general lack of progress - we know they haven't made much progress generally,

this point is specifically that it's reasonable to publish a brief glimpse of a game's tech capacity, for people who follow your game in good faith.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    It looks decent. It's a tiny gif of a tech demo, showing ragdoll physics. Ragdoll physics are a good feature.

Man, the goofiness of some people baffles me.

All these crowdfunded games, if they were spending big $$ on making flashy, well-fleshed out "marketing products" to show off each of their features, people would rightly be calling them jackasses for wasting money during dev.

How about they just release Pre-Elyria? Something that was meant to happen ages back. I don't want some flashy thing nor some random tech demo that I can't honestly see the point to. There are so many other things they could release that would impress me. A random goat bouncing around, far from one of them. 

I can only assume this was first shared on discord. So it would have been nice if the reddit folks had shared what was being talked about when this was shared. May have given more context to the whole thing. Over from my view, just looking like some random clip.
    AnOldFartGdemami
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Not much ragdoll there.  It's more bounce and DO A BARRELL ROLL.
    edited February 2019
    Mendel said:
    Way to deflect...  

So, what is the intent of this clip?

I already said it could be humour. Not saying it is a good idea. Another example of bad public relations.

EDIT: Proof they are actively working on the game?