Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight Frontiers - Closed Alpha 3 Coming March 5th without an NDA - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageTorchlight Frontiers - Closed Alpha 3 Coming March 5th without an NDA - MMORPG.com

Echtra Games has announced that the third closed alpha event for Torchlight Frontiers will take place on March 5th and thousands of new players will be added in the weeks between then and now. Those who took part in Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 are automatically included in the upcoming event. Perhaps most importantly, participants will be able to write about and stream their impressions thanks to the lifting of the NDA.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I'm ready! :)
    elveoneinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Aori said:
    I still haven't gotten in.. I wanna seeeeeee T_T
    They said they'll be adding thousands!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    no NDA? nice, finally I can make sure this game is meh as expected :)
    Here's the official post

https://www.torchlightfrontiers.com/en/news-article/11087043

We started off doing short weekend tests to wreck the servers for Closed Alpha 1 and 2. We won; the servers are stable. Now we're here to run a test where you can really dive deep and get a good feel for the systems and mechanics in Torchlight Frontiers. We're going to keep the game up, keep you playing, and keep making regular releases of new features and content while we learn from players and react to your feedback. When does it end, you ask? We’re jumping into testing our live service and have no plans to turn off the alpha servers - so play, play, play! If you haven’t already, sign up here for a chance to be invited. Let's build the future of Torchlightnow, together.

You can expect a full set of patch notes prior to March 5th, but here’s a short summary of significant improvements:

• Frontier Levels have replaced the old Weapon and Armor Skills
    • Wardrobes are now available to store your gear collection within your Fort
    • New Mapworks features
    • Pet equipment slots 
    • Expanded Hyvid Frontier area and quests
    • New intro experience
    • Improved Waypoint system

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Yay! Pick me pick me!
    SBFord
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited February 2019
    Everyone and their mom are getting a say in this games development. It's either going to turn out a masterpiece or a complete mess.

No NDA in alpha is a bold move. This game is looking like a potential early access release or a loooong open beta with no wipe, which would be disappointing.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

SBFord said:

I'm ready! :)

now this would make an awesome giveaway for MMORPG.com

Everyone and their mom are getting a say in this games development. It's either going to turn out a masterpiece or a complete mess.

No NDA in alpha is a bold move. This game is looking like a potential early access release or a loooong open beta with no wipe, which would be disappointing.

Neverwinter Online had the same approach during Alpha and most of Beta. Interaction between devs and community was really good. Too bad a publisher (and owner) like PWE can influence the monetization.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I want in. These guys have my full trust.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited February 2019

You literally defined every game that is in the " Works". I am excited for this game and hopefully it comes to fruition. Two thumbs up from me
    moguy1 said:

You literally defined every game that is in the " Works". I am excited for this game and hopefully it comes to fruition. Two thumbs up from me
    Hey, I'm excited too, isometric aRPG is probably my favourite genre. I'm cautious about this one though. I want it to be amazing but I have this feeling that it'll let me down if I get hyped for it for some reason.
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Need a key.... :P
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is NOT the way you build a better game,this is the WORST way to do it.
    How is lifting the NDA this late in the development cycle going to allow any quality feedback and resolve?

You need to communicate with the entire gaming base LONG before this moment.Now it is simply too late,whatever gets released will be whatever it is but f=definitely not one that was properly critiqued.
    \The comedy part of the video..."So tell us about Torchlight",he asks the CM...sigh.

His response sounded like he didn't know a single thing about the game,instead he just cited stuff you could say about ANY game.

"So when can we play ...MARCH 5th,,,soooooo i guess the testing phase is just early BS marketing because you should NEVER give a definitive timeline BEFORE you finish testing.So yeah the testing period is not a test,it is just fake time period to promote the game.What is typical of all these devs is the ONLY real test is to make sure logins work,yeah we can't take your money if you can't login.

20 minutes into the video,still nothing on the actual game.Oh well i better lay down,this is going to be a boring PR video.

moguy1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Don't send me TWO community managers to tell us about your game,send us some producer or system designers.

Don't forget to join our Discord !!! l

Game looks liek a cross between Trove and Wildstar in a BAD way,it looks cheap like a mobile game.It looks like one of those free game engines..build your own RPG !!!.

No worries it's an ALPHA !!!This is not the final product,but we are releasing in 3-4 weeks ...haha
    moguy1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

I'd rather play Duck Hunt on the NES than Atlas, Wiz.. so, er, yeh... your opinions do not align with my own.

The game looks like the other Torchlight games, which were well received, and that's exactly what fans want. 

This isn't your genre, best to just move on and punch trees for hours instead.
    TacticalZombeh
    P.S. I love you Wizzy
  • BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23
    Somewhat curious about this but have not looked into it. Is it going to be click to move like Torchlight 2 or Path of Exile? I played both for a bit but realized I abhor click to move stuff. Must have been rose tinted glasses from Diablo 2. Truthfully though I never looked into different control schemes for those games. Maybe I'll try to find a key or something.
  • HyriusHyrius Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I hope I can get in this time.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426

Wizardry said:

This is NOT the way you build a better game,this is the WORST way to do it.

How is lifting the NDA this late in the development cycle going to allow any quality feedback and resolve?

You need to communicate with the entire gaming base LONG before this moment.Now it is simply too late,whatever gets released will be whatever it is but f=definitely not one that was properly critiqued.

\The comedy part of the video..."So tell us about Torchlight",he asks the CM...sigh.

His response sounded like he didn't know a single thing about the game,instead he just cited stuff you could say about ANY game.

"So when can we play ...MARCH 5th,,,soooooo i guess the testing phase is just early BS marketing because you should NEVER give a definitive timeline BEFORE you finish testing.So yeah the testing period is not a test,it is just fake time period to promote the game.What is typical of all these devs is the ONLY real test is to make sure logins work,yeah we can't take your money if you can't login.

20 minutes into the video,still nothing on the actual game.Oh well i better lay down,this is going to be a boring PR video.

It is actually pretty early in the development process. Half the systems are not implemented and the ones implemented are subject to change. Things have changed based on player feedback during the two alphas before that one although their primary purpose was testing the stability of the servers(and they weren't all that stable). We actually expected the third alpha to be delayed a bit more.
    As for the video - it is not a video, it is a stream with the sole purpose of announcing the date for the beta. There are older streams that focus on particular features and there are going to be future streams like that as well. If you are looking for some information of the game you can check this fan-made video:
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    DMKano said:
    Torchlight 1 was good.

Torchlight 2 was just ok.

I hope that this one breaks the trend of and is better than Torchlight 2, please don't be a "meh"

I thought the second was the better of the two. Regardless, this game doesn't really play quite the same as either of them.

It has the quick mob respawn found in other action MMOs, such as MU Legend and Warlords Awakening, except in instanced dungeons where kills persist until you exit. There is also the potential for the sudden spawning of large elite groups that can mess things up pretty good if you get caught while recovering from a previous fight.

Equipment progression is largely tied to region, rather than being an overall process. For example, gear dropped in the goblin area that performs well there will not work near as well in the insect area. Thus you must drop new gear essentially from scratch for each area you explore in, with that process presumably repeating with each area added.

Gaining new abilities requires you to build up your fort. To do so you must collect and refine various resources over time, with that refinement being a long enough process to effectively time gate fort and therefore character development.

Of course, that is all subject to change, but that was how it was in the last go.
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Got an email, "closed alpha 3 is coming." So naturally, I got excited because I assumed it was gonna come with a key to get in...

Dick move guys.

Broke my heart, on valentines day of all days.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    edited February 2019

DMKano said:

Torchlight 1 was good.

Torchlight 2 was just ok.

I hope that this one breaks the trend of and is better than Torchlight 2, please don't be a "meh"

Gaining new abilities requires you to build up your fort. To do so you must collect and refine various resources over time, with that refinement being a long enough process to effectively time gate fort and therefore character development.
    This has actually been changed a bit. Now you unlock new skill tiers with skill-points and gold while the mined and refined resources are used exclusively for decorations and relic weapon crafting.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Non of this excites me. And I really wish it did.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Wizardry said:

Game looks liek a cross between Trove and Wildstar in a BAD way,it looks cheap like a mobile game.It looks like one of those free game engines..build your own RPG !!!.

The screaming goat is having a field day inside my head along with the WTF kitty.