Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 800 Blizzard Employees Lose Their Jobs, Game Workers Unite Calls for Kotick Firing - MMORPG.c

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019
    black9ice said:
    Many millennials are under no illusions our parents generation fucked the economy so hard we're the first generation in a while to be behind where our parents were at our age, all other things being equal.  We're also aware of how our parents generation gave us completely shit advice about "go to college or you'll flip burgers all your life!" all the while college was getting more expensive while the value of a degree was nose-diving.  Why do you think so many reject the holy grail of capitalism so readily?  Why do you think we so readily reject the politics and ideologies of our parents?

And yet, the dumbass hate train on the generation persists.  GG.
    Once you stop blaming other people for "F'ing" every thing up for you, your generation, or anyone else, things will work out for you.  Dumb ass hate train?  I have family, friends, co-workers, etc...  All from that generation that have BS degrees, things that do not even matter.  But that's fine, I will keep working my low paying thankless job, living in a home I OWN, riding a motorcycle, Owning multiple cars, etc...  Oh and by the way, yeah I guess I'll have to pay some benefits to support that generation as well. 

But guess what, I will be that guy flipping you off at Walmart parking lot while I brarp brarp that throttle on my motorcycle. As you are still cursing to yourself about me being a white privileged skin head m'f'r.

Lmao.  What the actual fuck are you even talking about?

I own my home.  I served in the military; don't talk to me about thinking I'm owed shit.  How fucking ignorant.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]ZenJelly

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

I in no way support the $30 million number for lots of reasons but if someone offered me that to run a company then I damn sure would not turn it down.  The job of a CEO is to steer the ship and make the company and shareholders money.  It is not to coddle the guy in cubicle 12 on the 3rd floor which is some poor AP / AR clerk.

People deserve to make what someone will pay them for their services and should not be ashamed for doing so.  Wealth shaming is the new in thing to do though. 
    of course you wouldn't turn it down, because you are greedy. even though  you know it's wrong (as you stated) you would still take it. you might even feel slightly bad about it when you have to lay off 800 employees....but you would still take your 30 mil....like you said.

greed is the pleasure of few and the suffering of many. i shame greed, not wealth. 
    GdemamiZenJelly
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I'll play. Is it possible that these employees, while they may be great, became redundant?

If I own a company and I make a decision that I want to be more efficient with my resources and human capital then I am going to do that. It's never easy making these decisions, but in business difficult decisions need to be made.

In a business the owner is the one that has the most risk and the most investment in the success of the company. He/she is not expendable, but all other employees, regardless of worth and value are.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited February 2019
    perrin82 said:
    I'll play. Is it possible that these employees, while they may be great, became redundant?

If I own a company and I make a decision that I want to be more efficient with my resources and human capital then I am going to do that. It's never easy making these decisions, but in business difficult decisions need to be made.

In a business the owner is the one that has the most risk and the most investment in the success of the company. He/she is not expendable, but all other employees, regardless of worth and value are.
    true.
    also Kotick is not the owner. he's just the CEO. a mare employee himself. he takes no risks whatsoever. at worst he keeps his money, gets a multi million dollar severance package and has to find one other multi million dollars job. 
    perrin82
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I see Millennials being thrown around here. I do believe you mean "Post-Millennials" as a Millennial is 22-37 years old now. Unless you think anyone under 40 is entitled, living off their parents, and unemployed that is.

I propose for now on within this forum we refer to age groups based off of if they were born before or after the launch of Everquest. Through a culmination of descriptors used by members of this forum, we can concur that anyone born after (A-EQ) is a mobile gamer who watches reality TV, lives at home, and will never contribute anything to society. Anyone before (B-EQ) is obviously an extremely successful, highly motivated driving force of good will and humanity. 
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieZenJellyRnjypsySylvinstarTacticalZombeh

I in no way support the $30 million number for lots of reasons but if someone offered me that to run a company then I damn sure would not turn it down.  The job of a CEO is to steer the ship and make the company and shareholders money.  It is not to coddle the guy in cubicle 12 on the 3rd floor which is some poor AP / AR clerk.

People deserve to make what someone will pay them for their services and should not be ashamed for doing so.  Wealth shaming is the new in thing to do though. 
    of course you wouldn't turn it down, because you are greedy. even though  you know it's wrong (as you stated) you would still take it. you might even feel slightly bad about it when you have to lay off 800 employees....but you would still take your 30 mil....like you said.

greed is the pleasure of few and the suffering of many. i shame greed, not wealth. 
    Thanks for not answering the rest of that.  And do not misunderstand I do not think the number is wrong, I just think it is wrong for him to get it for personal reasons.  Also not greed otherwise maybe I would be rich but chose to serve in military instead of going other ways.  But this idea that everyone deserves something instead of earning it is bullshit.  No one deserves anything just because they breathe and are on this planet.  You have to work for it and move up.   Most CEO did not get handed that out of school with the exception of trust fund babies I guess like the current moron steering the country.  Most worked hard and sacraficed family, friends and other things to succeed in life.  That is what they chose. 

Thanks for making a blanket assumption though.
    Social mobility in America lags behind other wealthy countries, though, which is where the rub comes in.  The American Dream literally hinges on the idea that you will get what you deserve based on how hard you work, but that's not nearly the truth.  In fact, the U.S. has some of the lowest social mobility among all industrialized nations (coming in after countries like Australia, Canada, Denmark, the U.K.; hell, Mongolia has higher social mobility than the U.S. does these days.  Mongolia.)

The neighborhood you grew up is generally as effective a predictor of your future wealth as any other factor.  That's not something you choose as a child; it's something chosen for you by your parents (and, likely, chosen for them by their parents).  This effect can literally be a multiplier as high as 4 for the chances you move from the bottom rung to the top 20% of earners in America.  The neighborhoods that provide the highest chance also, coincidentally, already have the lowest amount of income inequality distribution within itself.

Not only that, but studies also support the idea that Americans, by and large, overestimate the amount of social mobility they truly have.  They believe they have much more opportunity to climb that ladder than they truly do.
    MendelGdemami[Deleted User]CryomatrixZenJellySandmanjwKootur

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Gdemami said:
    That is why we can't have nice things...

The self-entitlement of these disgruntled ex-employees is shocking...well, not so much, seems like a good riddance...
    You're going to take all those WTFs and redistribute them as LOLs aren't you?

Can I have?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    @Gdemami, your edge lord ignorance (and hatred for myself) is showing:

"We conclude that absolute mobility has declined sharply in America over the past half century primarily because of the growth in inequality. If one wants to revive the “American Dream” of high rates of absolute mobility, one must have an interest in growth that is shared more broadly across the income distribution."

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/abs_mobility_summary.pdf

"The US ranks as one of the four high-income economies among the 50 economies with the lowest rates of relative upward mobility."

https://voxeu.org/article/intergenerational-mobility-across-world

GdemamiZenJellySandmanjwKootur

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

"We conclude that absolute mobility has declined sharply in America over the past half century primarily because of the growth in inequality. If one wants to revive the “American Dream” of high rates of absolute mobility, one must have an interest in growth that is shared more broadly across the income distribution."

http://www.equality-of-opportunity.org/assets/documents/abs_mobility_summary.pdf

"The US ranks as one of the four high-income economies among the 50 economies with the lowest rates of relative upward mobility."

Can you please stop intercepting my Gdemami LOLS? I asked first!
    MadFrenchie
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Can you please stop intercepting my Gdemami LOLS? I asked first!
    But I gave you an awesome heart...  Does that make it any better? :D 

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited February 2019
    California is an at will employment state so unless they have a signed contract with activision/blizzard this whole trying to get Kotick fired is like a ship with no sails.

I live and work in San Diego CA and on my employment application and on anyone elses that is not a signed contract between both employer and employee it is stated:

"I hereby understand and acknowledge that, unless otherwise defined by applicable law, any employment relationship with this organization is of an “at will” nature, which means that the Employee may resign at any time and the Employer may discharge Employee at any time with or without cause. It is further understood that this “at will” employment relationship may not be changed by any written document or by conduct unless such change is specifically acknowledged in writing by an authorized executive of this organization." 

But hey if they succeed maybe I can lobby to get my supervisor fired too if I get laid off rather than just putting boots on the pavement and looking for another job.
    Cryomatrix
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389
    It is a sad thing to see a company do something like this. For me, if I do not like the business practice of the company, I stop supporting them. Right now that is Activision/Blizzard and EA ... For them it is about the money .. not the game.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    @Cryomatrix ;Why would the ratio change, though?  That implies that the rest of the company contributes relatively less the more the company makes, but there still lacks a lot of causative evidence of why that would be true.  Is there strong evidence for the idea that the CEO is increasingly solely responsible the more the company makes?

Why not base it on directly attributable action?  Say the CEO clearly plays a large role in a profitable acquisition; I get it, a senior developer didn't contribute to that.  But if a quality product is developed, leading to huge revenue by product sales...  What makes that the sole purview of the CEO?  In fact, if it's the product's individual quality that drove the sales, seems to me the lower level workers that were the hands on with said product is much more responsible, collectively, than the CEO who merely watched that team work.

The more revenue a company makes, i think the more money a CEO can affect (for the most part).

Usually large companies have tens of thousands of workers. Many of those workers are probably support workers or lower wages. Not in all fields, but in many fields.

Hence, median wage is relatively low. Look at starbucks, most labor is probably at the barista level, how many people need to design a type of coffee? The corporate office is probably bloated but the amount of workers is still a lot higher than that.

The CEO of starbucks pretty much heads the strategy team with the goal to increase revenue and profit. The potential to make or break the company falls in the hands of the CEO and upper echelon people. The baristas do what? Just serve customers. Little impact on bottom line.

End of the day, the CEO has greatest influence (not 100%, but the majority per capita by far) over the revenue of a company. If that person has the greatest influence over 10 billion in revenue, then you want the best person possible and the capitalistic market dictates that CEO's are worth millions. 

Id you are like well 30 million is too much for a CEO, im going to pay 2 million. Then you wont get CEO level applicants, you will get what you pay for. 

Also if you have 10 billion in revenue, isnt the difference between 30 mil salary and a 2 million salary pocket change?

MadFrenchie
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    In blizzards defense these people's jobs were no longer needed. E-sports and Social media were heavy cut in the recent months.
    Cryomatrix
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Thanks for not answering the rest of that.  And do not misunderstand I do not think the number is wrong, I just think it is wrong for him to get it for personal reasons.  Also not greed otherwise maybe I would be rich but chose to serve in military instead of going other ways.  But this idea that everyone deserves something instead of earning it is bullshit.  No one deserves anything just because they breathe and are on this planet.  You have to work for it and move up.   Most CEO did not get handed that out of school with the exception of trust fund babies I guess like the current moron steering the country.  Most worked hard and sacraficed family, friends and other things to succeed in life.  That is what they chose. 

Social mobility in America lags behind other wealthy countries, though, which is where the rub comes in.  The American Dream literally hinges on the idea that you will get what you deserve based on how hard you work, but that's not nearly the truth.  In fact, the U.S. has some of the lowest social mobility among all industrialized nations (coming in after countries like Australia, Canada, Denmark, the U.K.; hell, Mongolia has higher social mobility than the U.S. does these days.  Mongolia.)

The neighborhood you grew up is generally as effective a predictor of your future wealth as any other factor.  That's not something you choose as a child; it's something chosen for you by your parents (and, likely, chosen for them by their parents).  This effect can literally be a multiplier as high as 4 for the chances you move from the bottom rung to the top 20% of earners in America.  The neighborhoods that provide the highest chance also, coincidentally, already have the lowest amount of income inequality distribution within itself.

Not only that, but studies also support the idea that Americans, by and large, overestimate the amount of social mobility they truly have.  They believe they have much more opportunity to climb that ladder than they truly do.
    Understood but also there is hope. 

You were a military man so you may or may not have heard the story of Adm. Boorda.

He dropped out of school, lied about his age and joined the Navy at 17.  He rose from an E1 to CNO which shows that the American dream (although one could argue it is like winning the powerball odds) is still there for those who do work hard toward a goal.  I met him before his unfortunate death and had great respect for him and his story.  Conspiracy theorist in me still believes he was murdered but thats another story.

My objection to some posts here and not all as I like to think I am level headed is that they somehow know what it is to be in that position and should be able to tell someone they are not worth this or that.  I could talk for days about athletes I think are unjustly paid or hollywood actors who are over paid in my opinion as well but good for them to be able to command that and someone pay it.  Does not mean they should give it to the cameraman because he makes 1/100th of them.  I do not think people should be ashamed of what they make no matter how much or how little.
    It is easy to understand why athletes get paid so much.

The NBA made 7.4 billion in revenue last year, up 25%. Wow, commissioner Silver did a great job. He should be paid 1 million total right . . .  

Each of the 30 teams are comprised of 10 players. That is 300 players.

I looked at the CBA agreement and NBA players get 50% of total revenue.

So do 3.7 billion divided by 300 is about 12.3 million. 

Hence, likely average NBA salary. 

On the flip side, 30 owners bring home 123 million subatracted by operating costs. 

Another way to look at is the sold product of the NBA nets 7.4 billion and the cost of the product  (players + operating costs) is 50%+ operating cost%, so it is a bit less than 100% margin. 

There you go, that is why professional athletes make so much. You want them to make less? Convince 90% of the world to ghost the NBA and they'll still average about a million. 

You should have difficulty in understanding why people throw money watching people play a game instead of having difficulty seeing how the numbers work. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    "These jobs weren't needed" Tell that to the 800 people now without a job. They needed that job.
    This corporate ass kissing and "billionaires can do no wrong" attitude is fucking appalling.

Final post ever on this site, you've been taken over by dumbass alt-right conservatives in the comments.
    GdemamiSandmanjwKootur

Understood but also there is hope. 

You were a military man so you may or may not have heard the story of Adm. Boorda.

He dropped out of school, lied about his age and joined the Navy at 17.  He rose from an E1 to CNO which shows that the American dream (although one could argue it is like winning the powerball odds) is still there for those who do work hard toward a goal.  I met him before his unfortunate death and had great respect for him and his story.  Conspiracy theorist in me still believes he was murdered but thats another story.

My objection to some posts here and not all as I like to think I am level headed is that they somehow know what it is to be in that position and should be able to tell someone they are not worth this or that.  I could talk for days about athletes I think are unjustly paid or hollywood actors who are over paid in my opinion as well but good for them to be able to command that and someone pay it.  Does not mean they should give it to the cameraman because he makes 1/100th of them.  I do not think people should be ashamed of what they make no matter how much or how little.
    I understand the example you're offering, but that's also why I cited that most Americans overestimate their social mobility.  None of that post was an original thought; it was all based on studies I've read about the topic.

There's also studied specifically on how the belief in even moderators social mobility effects our propensity to defend the status quo in terms of economic and social systems.  It's a pretty vicious feedback loop.

The biggest hope I can reasonably buy into is the idea that poor today doesn't mean what poor meant 60 years ago.  But none of that, in my mind, excuses the deteriorating American Dream that so many still fervently want to believe in.
    GdemamiMendel

edited February 2019
    I'd have a lot more respect for millenials if they asked for a hand up instead of a hand out.  I live in a city where the unemployment rate for 18-30 year old adults is 13.8%, yet we are in the top ten cities in America if you are looking for a job.  Here is a lesson that mommy and daddy never taught you.  The world owes you nothing.  Let me repeat that.  The world owes you nothing. 

Regardless of your background and where you came from in America, if you bust your ass hard enough with a burning desire to succeed and follow that up with massive action for a sustained period of time (we are talking decades here), you stand a good chance of the type of success that 99.9% of America will never achieve.  If you don't fail along the way, you are not trying hard enough.  There are more first generation millionaires in America today than at anytime in our nation's history.  If you want to see who is holding you back, go look in the mirror.

@parrotpholk case in point regarding Americans general overestimation of our ability to move up the socioeconomic ladder.

"Success that 99.9% of America will never achieve . . . If you want to see who is holding you back, go look on the mirror."

These types of quotes sell tickets for motivational speakers, and they make great little inspirational videos to share on Facebook, but they don't reflect the actual, scientifically studied reality.  And they don't even touch upon where we're headed.
    Gdemami

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I dunno man , imo most people are right where they put themselves ..

Highest grade i graduated is 9th , grew up in SW Philly in a very rough neighborhood , spent 18 months of my life in Fed Prison ,,,

And yet i now live in an upscale neighborhood in a beautiful 5/3, i retired at 53 and put 2 kids thru OSU ,(and have a 7 year old son at home now) by working hard and making good investments ..
    Cryomatrix
  • SylvinstarSylvinstar Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I'd have a lot more respect for millenials if they asked for a hand up instead of a hand out.  I live in a city where the unemployment rate for 18-30 year old adults is 13.8%, yet we are in the top ten cities in America if you are looking for a job.  Here is a lesson that mommy and daddy never taught you.  The world owes you nothing.  Let me repeat that.  The world owes you nothing. 

Regardless of your background and where you came from in America, if you bust your ass hard enough with a burning desire to succeed and follow that up with massive action for a sustained period of time (we are talking decades here), you stand a good chance of the type of success that 99.9% of America will never achieve.  If you don't fail along the way, you are not trying hard enough.  There are more first generation millionaires in America today than at anytime in our nation's history.  If you want to see who is holding you back, go look in the mirror.

@parrotpholk case in point regarding Americans general overestimation of our ability to move up the socioeconomic ladder.

"Success that 99.9% of America will never achieve . . . If you want to see who is holding you back, go look on the mirror."

These types of quotes sell tickets for motivational speakers, and they make great little inspirational videos to share on Facebook, but they don't reflect the actual, scientifically studied reality.  And they don't even touch upon where we're headed.
    Soooo I should take money from someone else instead of bothering to work harder for it myself?  That is indeed where we are headed.
    Kootur
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    DMKano said:
    Firing someone how is making $30million a year is not exactly going to cause much hardship as those 800 employees who were scraping by.

Sort of a wasted effort.

So let's say he gets fired - still has 100million+ in the bank most likely.

The real issue are ridiculously inflated C level salaries there is no logic that can explain how 1 persons value is 200 times greater than a senior developer making $150K a year.

You can hire 200 senior developers vs 1 C level - hello???? 

The issue is obvious

Not to mention the generous severance package an asshole like that will have coming to them upon being sacked.

And these overpaid higher ups are a big part of what's behind the steady deterioration of games in general. Instead of profits being reinvested into updates, they're all gobbled up by these people.
    Gdemami

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Gdemami said:
    That is why we can't have nice things...

The self-entitlement of these disgruntled ex-employees is shocking...well, not so much, seems like a good riddance...

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe us humans dont deserve nice things?

Thinking that we do is the very entitlement you are so quick to speak against. 

Every time I see Gdemami, my first thought is that either 1) Andrew Wilson or Bobby Kotick have nothing better to do than to troll a random forum or 2) their shoe polish must taste great to encourage such loving defense.

I think the latter more likely.
    He's just fishing to add more WTF's to his already impressive record xD
    ScotTacticalZombeh

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    They need their entire PR team fired tbh cause the optics of activision blizzard have been horrible since early last year. All of the issues this company have been 'plagued' by are the result of poor communication and understanding their market. The most valid point they made about some of the firings were because of job duplication which of course happens and they want to hire on more developers, again fine. Announcing this along side 'record numbers' was the dumbest thing they could've done because to the public, its showing that they could afford to keep those people on even if their job wasn't necessary. There were just better ways of going about this. They'll probably end up hiring about 400 developers across the board (since they said they were wanting to hire on 20% more across all fields), but even so, so many dumb ways of conveying a very simple message. At least pretend to care about how you look to your consumers, not just your shareholders.
    GdemamiGorwe
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Start your own software companies, k bye.
    HatefullKootur
    Scorchien said:

I dunno man , imo most people are right where they put themselves ..

Highest grade i graduated is 9th , grew up in SW Philly in a very rough neighborhood , spent 18 months of my life in Fed Prison ,,,

And yet i now live in an upscale neighborhood in a beautiful 5/3, i retired at 53 and put 2 kids thru OSU ,(and have a 7 year old son at home now) by working hard and making good investments ..
    Not to sound contrary, but again: that entire post was merely relaying the results of peer-reviewed studies on the subject.  Anecdotal evidence doesn't change the rule outlined by those studies.

Making good investments, for one, leaves at least part of the success up to chance.  That's the risk involved with any investment.
    CryomatrixGdemami

This discussion has been closed.