Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conviction: An Anthem Story Trailer From Neill Blomkamp - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageConviction: An Anthem Story Trailer From Neill Blomkamp - MMORPG.com

EA and Neill Blomkamp have released Conviction: An Anthem Story short live-action trailer. It is set in the world of Anthem "decades before the events of the game" and is about four minutes long. Let us know what you think!

Read the full story here

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Stizzled said:

That wasn't a film, that was a trailer.

If this is their definition of a short live-action film I can only imagine what's the definition of "content" in their heads. Glad I'm skipping this one :D
    alkarionlogSBFordGaladournShadowStyleBJeroKaneOctagon7711WhiskeydustRain_Deathraveninfomatzgastovski1
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    so even to build hype they fail? damn maybe its time for EA to let go some people too
    SBFordJeroKaneOctagon7711Whiskeydustgastovski1
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Oats Studios just plain & simply ROCKS. I'm surprised by this collaboration. Blomkamp has been putting-out awesome stuff for years. I don't have any good feelings for EA currently, but I'll admit this was good & probably good for them too just to be aligned with this great talent. I'm still not pre-ordering nor buy at release this game nor any of their games in the near future.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    According to Neill it was cut from 10min movie. It's a trailer to an actual short movie.

Thank you for your time!

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2019
    I must admit that I am totally confused. I watched the trailer but didn't really get "Anthem feels" from it, but more like "generic sci-fi feels". As a trailer, I think it fails since it's also confusing and begins a story that literally makes no sense. Maybe it'd have been better to release the trailer after the game.

As a promotional piece, at least for me, it misses the mark. 
    SiphaedJeroKaneBakgrindOctagon7711[Deleted User]NyteWytchDoctorhooIselinRain_Deathraveninfomatzand 3 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I bet they made the game's cinematic intro into a standalone "short film", lol... even cinematics are longer
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited February 2019
    hm, was hoping for abit more there ^^'

this wasn't the whole thing, ait? this WAS a trailer
    Whiskeydust

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I'd watch the shit out of that movie.
    mmolouRosenborgtinoberserkDoctorhoo
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423

SBFord said:

I must admit that I am totally confused. I watched the trailer but didn't really get "Anthem feels" from it, but more like "generic sci-fi feels". As a trailer, I think it fails since it's also confusing and begins a story that literally makes no sense. Maybe it'd have been better to release the trailer after the game.

As a promotional piece, at least for me, it misses the mark. 

I agree with all that you say, but I feel that it would hit the mark for people that really are excited about this title and can't wait for it to launch. Instead of people such as myself whom really do not have an interest in the title. At least that's my take on it. It's probably the very first title from Bioware that has failed to generate any type of hype that would give me a feeling that "I really gotta have that."
    SBFord
  • Lennier15Lennier15 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I have to say that I was very impressed with the short film. Before watching it, I just wanted to play the game as the mechanics, gear progression and combat from the demos were excellent. Now I want to know more about Anthem lore, especially the story of the Legion of Dawn and General Helena Tarsis. I think people are prone to criticize anything EA touches, but in this case I think that is unfair.
    osteolyticSolar_Prophet
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    3dom said:
    According to Neill it was cut from 10min movie. It's a trailer to an actual short movie.
    A 4 minute trailer from a 10 minute movie, not much room left for anything. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]infomatzgastovski1Phry
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Even Neil Blomkamps shortest short films (comes in around 2:30-40) don't have this kind of "trailer" feel.

I'm interested to know WHO called this the film?

MMORPG or EA

Discuss
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2019
    Even Neil Blomkamps shortest short films (comes in around 2:30-40) don't have this kind of "trailer" feel.

MMORPG or EA

Discuss
    They did. I did not change the YouTube video title when I imported it to the site. 

Interestingly, they have changed the name of the video since I imported it. I'll adjust.

Discussion over.  :D

[Deleted User]Rain_Deathraven

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

SBFord said:

MMORPG or EA

Discuss
    They did. I did not change the YouTube video title when I imported it to the site. 

Discussion over. Interestingly, they have changed the name of the video since I imported it. I'll adjust.
    Great, this thread is officially an EA/Bioware are imbeciles posts then...

I really think folks should understand how stupid a f#$% up something like this is.

A revered director is doing a short film on your IP. There's clearly a release schedule internally. A trailer is submitted. The director promotes the trailer for the short the day before

EA takes the trailer and treats it as the actual short film, but it's CLEARLY the trailer. Paid Media and post amplification budget gets blasted and media outlets pick up the story.

The WTF train fires up because of EA/Bioware public sentiment.

SBFordThahar[Deleted User]infomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487

Stizzled said:

That wasn't a film, that was a trailer.

"EA and Neill Blomkamp have released Conviction: An Anthem Story short live-action trailer."

You really should learn how to read.
    Rain_Deathraven[Deleted User]Mr.Gutsy
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    Well, all the reports to Apex Legends' 'success' trace back to respawn and not EA, so maybe if EA let Bioware off their chain....oh who am I kidding....We live in a world where even single player modes get monetized....sad days.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    edited February 2019
    Complete crap. Even the trailer was a hype lie. Not to mention it is - now that we finally understand its trailer - complete cinematic diarrhea
    Post edited by Lobotomist on

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239
    I imagined the remaining 6 minutes and it was choke-full of action :)
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    To summarize this comment section: If you already were all in on Anthem then you liked the "Trailer" and if you weren't and not interested in the game at all then you found it boring or hated it. Of course that is a generalizing everyone here but seems to be the way it is right now.
    blastermaster

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    The Javelins looked like unwieldy pieces of metal. Not surprised though. Even parts of the Iron Man movies show that making it look like a real person moving it is not easy.
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Good to see Sinead O'Connor got some work.
    MadFrenchieIselininfomatzPhry

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    How she manages to keep that dress clean while hanging out in a forest is a mystery to me, looks like she just stepped out of the spa.

Everytime I see a Javelin in the rain I instantly look to see if beads of water are running down it, other trailers have spoiled me I guess.

Nice commercial for Anthem.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited February 2019
    Edit: Nevermind, already pointed out.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Don't see the problem. It looks like something the SyFy channel would put out.

People expected a blockbuster movie from a little side project? Your expectations are broken.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Don't see the problem. It looks like something the SyFy channel would put out.

People expected a blockbuster movie from a little side project? Your expectations are broken.

It looks good, and it's a trailer. I'll give it a watch just on the strength of Blomkamp.
    alkarionlog

¯\_(ツ)_/¯