Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After 800 Blizzard Employees Lose Their Jobs, Game Workers Unite Calls for Kotick Firing - MMORPG.c

1246710

Comments

  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    @Hatefull

    If you looked at my post earlier, I acknowledged that it is, of course, a known fact in the contractor community. We work without parachutes yet give just as much as any full time employee. It's a terrible position to be in because you need a job.

    As someone who has worked as a contractor for the last decade -- including this particular job -- I fully appreciate that, but it doesn't make it any less disheartening or frightening to be let go. We do what we do without insurance, without guarantees, and without thanks most of the time, yet we throw our whole selves into our work. A lot of these people were working to gain full time status at Blizzard, something that's happened a lot in the past. 
    I'm not 100% on board with the whole firing of Kotick thing, but I can say that whoever their PR people are should be given a stern talking-to because they bungled this horribly.
    TimEisenGdemamiHatefull


    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293

    Gdemami said:

    That is why we can't have nice things...

    The self-entitlement of these disgruntled ex-employees is shocking...well, not so much, seems like a good riddance...



    9/10 Nicely done. I've become a fan of your work.
    AriesTigergrndzro
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Over the years I've been trying to develop a filter. I used to be a lot worse lol. :/
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 2,981
    Side note.  Just found out when you cancel your subscription to World of Warcraft, Blizzard doesn't even ask anymore why you are cancelling.  In the past, they at least pretended to care why you were leaving and asked you the likelihood that you would be back.  Those days are gone.  
    I believe they stopped asking that a while ago.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,878
    jonrd463 said:
    Sure, CEOs make an exorbitant amount, but if one would take their pay and spread it equitably across all accounts payable in a company, it amounts to pennies on the dollar, so the argument about the CEO's pay is just a virtue signal.
    This is not True, CEO's in America make near to 500 times what their employees make. Let me put that in perspective for you. Average employee in a Company like Blizzard, is around 60 - 100K a year.

    That means that the CEO is making roughly 40 Million Annual Salary, if they were to be making, say, what a comparable CEO in England would make (in England, CEO make 20 - 25 times what their employees make) which means they would be making 2 million a year.

    Now if you scoff at that, thinking that would not be anywhere near enough, keep in mind the median income in America is around 40 - 60K.. if 40 times our median income in this country, is not enough to live a rich life, there is something very.. very.. wrong with this country.

    Equally so, if they took a comparable paycheck to what other Capitalist countries make, (20 - 25 times) they would be able to keep on an additional, 475 employees... that does not look like pennies on the dollar if you ask me.
    SBFordlaseritblueturtle13TimEisenMendel
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,208
    Aeander said:
    It's theft when these millenials think they deserve a job when a company can do just fine firing 800 employees. SMH.
    Seriously, GTFO with your ignorant generational generalizations (that phrase doesn't quite roll off the tongue, does it? :D ).  You don't even have a fucking clue about the dempgraphics of the employees fired or the company's current makeup.


    Holy shit, the amount of scapegoating the ignorant do of younger generations is astounding.
    I, conversely, am getting increasingly weary of the angry, unintelligent cretins who make up so much of the boomer generation.
    It's always the people who brought the younger generation up that complain about them. What they are really criticizing is their generations parenting skills.
    Cryomatrix

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 127

    SBFord said:



    the package they received seemed fair and reasonable.    This is a nonstarter all around.


    Contractors and part time employees got a pink slip, a final check and a foot in the ass sending them out the door.


    Just about everyone in this thread is freaking crazy. You are an at will employee period. If people would get through their thick skulls in 2019 that YOU or anyone else is not ENTITLED to anything but the air you breath, this whole world would be a much better place! But that is how society has shifted, GIVE ME, OWE ME, blah blah blah...
    SBFordalkarionlogAeanderparrotpholk
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,867
    edited February 2019
    DMKano said:

    Has it ever occurred to you that maybe us humans dont deserve nice things?

    Thinking that we do is the very entitlement you are so quick to speak against. 



    ...ok?

    I said nothing about whteher someone deserve nice things, in fact I implied some of those employees indeed deserved to be fired...oh, you consider that a nice thing then? Otherwise I fail to see how your comment is related or just even make any sense...
    parrotpholkPanther2103
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,867
    Aeander said:
    Every time I see Gdemami, my first thought is that either 1) Andrew Wilson or Bobby Kotick have nothing better to do than to troll a random forum or 2) their shoe polish must taste great to encourage such loving defense.

    I think the latter more likely.
    I am...flattered....?
    parrotpholkPanther2103Aeander
  • CIB3CIB3 Member UncommonPosts: 120
    They need to LEARN TO CODE!
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 2,992
    Ungood said:
    jonrd463 said:
    Sure, CEOs make an exorbitant amount, but if one would take their pay and spread it equitably across all accounts payable in a company, it amounts to pennies on the dollar, so the argument about the CEO's pay is just a virtue signal.
    This is not True, CEO's in America make near to 500 times what their employees make. Let me put that in perspective for you. Average employee in a Company like Blizzard, is around 60 - 100K a year.

    That means that the CEO is making roughly 40 Million Annual Salary, if they were to be making, say, what a comparable CEO in England would make (in England, CEO make 20 - 25 times what their employees make) which means they would be making 2 million a year.

    Now if you scoff at that, thinking that would not be anywhere near enough, keep in mind the median income in America is around 40 - 60K.. if 40 times our median income in this country, is not enough to live a rich life, there is something very.. very.. wrong with this country.

    Equally so, if they took a comparable paycheck to what other Capitalist countries make, (20 - 25 times) they would be able to keep on an additional, 475 employees... that does not look like pennies on the dollar if you ask me.

    if the problem was money, with we know its not,

    the question here is why keep employees who don't produce? we know blizzard was canning Esports so why keep people who will not produce you anything?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,208
    Ungood said:
    jonrd463 said:
    Sure, CEOs make an exorbitant amount, but if one would take their pay and spread it equitably across all accounts payable in a company, it amounts to pennies on the dollar, so the argument about the CEO's pay is just a virtue signal.
    This is not True, CEO's in America make near to 500 times what their employees make. Let me put that in perspective for you. Average employee in a Company like Blizzard, is around 60 - 100K a year.

    That means that the CEO is making roughly 40 Million Annual Salary, if they were to be making, say, what a comparable CEO in England would make (in England, CEO make 20 - 25 times what their employees make) which means they would be making 2 million a year.

    Now if you scoff at that, thinking that would not be anywhere near enough, keep in mind the median income in America is around 40 - 60K.. if 40 times our median income in this country, is not enough to live a rich life, there is something very.. very.. wrong with this country.

    Equally so, if they took a comparable paycheck to what other Capitalist countries make, (20 - 25 times) they would be able to keep on an additional, 475 employees... that does not look like pennies on the dollar if you ask me.

    if the problem was money, with we know its not,

    the question here is why keep employees who don't produce? we know blizzard was canning Esports so why keep people who will not produce you anything?
    Easy thing is to lay them all off, don't need a 30 million dollar salary to figure that one out. Now using those 800 people to make you more money is why you're making the big buck ain't it?

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,394
    black9ice said:

    SBFord said:



    the package they received seemed fair and reasonable.    This is a nonstarter all around.


    Contractors and part time employees got a pink slip, a final check and a foot in the ass sending them out the door.


    Just about everyone in this thread is freaking crazy. You are an at will employee period. If people would get through their thick skulls in 2019 that YOU or anyone else is not ENTITLED to anything but the air you breath, this whole world would be a much better place! But that is how society has shifted, GIVE ME, OWE ME, blah blah blah...
    Holy crap. What? You shouldn't be on edge 24/7 about whether or not you get to keep your job. Even as an at will employee, you should have some semblance of being treated fairly at work. How would you feel if tomorrow you walked into work and someone fired you on the spot. Would you be on a forum talking about how they are perfectly within their right to do that? Or would you be pissed. I'm guessing it's the latter. 
    GdemamiSBFord
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Welcome to 2019 the new gilded age. I am saddened to see this.
  • ThaneThane Member RarePosts: 3,483
    found it quite funny how all major companies came to "search" for ex blizz employees on the600 (facebook group for blizz workers and related stuff).

    including EA.
    had to resist making ANY comments on them :wink:

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • TimEisenTimEisen ColumnistMember EpicPosts: 3,293
    Ungood said:
    jonrd463 said:
    Sure, CEOs make an exorbitant amount, but if one would take their pay and spread it equitably across all accounts payable in a company, it amounts to pennies on the dollar, so the argument about the CEO's pay is just a virtue signal.
    This is not True, CEO's in America make near to 500 times what their employees make. Let me put that in perspective for you. Average employee in a Company like Blizzard, is around 60 - 100K a year.

    That means that the CEO is making roughly 40 Million Annual Salary, if they were to be making, say, what a comparable CEO in England would make (in England, CEO make 20 - 25 times what their employees make) which means they would be making 2 million a year.

    Now if you scoff at that, thinking that would not be anywhere near enough, keep in mind the median income in America is around 40 - 60K.. if 40 times our median income in this country, is not enough to live a rich life, there is something very.. very.. wrong with this country.

    Equally so, if they took a comparable paycheck to what other Capitalist countries make, (20 - 25 times) they would be able to keep on an additional, 475 employees... that does not look like pennies on the dollar if you ask me.
    This guy maths. He also won the argument imho. The consensus isnt saying CEOs shouldn't make more, we respect their achievements and results, the fact is that we are at a point where they make SO much more their ability/responsibility to pay ratio is no longer accurate. Most of them are making exponentially more than they could possibly justify which is why wealth distribution is at its worst since right before the great depression. I mean, we went through a global financial crisis 10 years ago and they came out of it making MORE than before they tanked the economy all without anyone being held accountable. The Plutocratic Kleptocracy has hit max level. Theres only two directions from here and I've seen altered Carbon, one isn't pretty. 
    laseritMadFrenchieSBFordUngoodForgrimmtechcliquegrndzro
    I used to role-play a Warrior Priest now I role-play a writer.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,648
    black9ice said:

    SBFord said:



    the package they received seemed fair and reasonable.    This is a nonstarter all around.


    Contractors and part time employees got a pink slip, a final check and a foot in the ass sending them out the door.


    Just about everyone in this thread is freaking crazy. You are an at will employee period. If people would get through their thick skulls in 2019 that YOU or anyone else is not ENTITLED to anything but the air you breath, this whole world would be a much better place! But that is how society has shifted, GIVE ME, OWE ME, blah blah blah...
    Yet you afford corporations that very same entitlement?  How strange.
    SBFordtechcliquePalebane

    image
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 282

    Gdemami said:

    That is why we can't have nice things...

    The self-entitlement of these disgruntled ex-employees is shocking...well, not so much, seems like a good riddance...




    Oh boy, can't tell if a troll or actually thinking like this.

    The world is so jaded to me at this point that I have to second guess if someone is trying to bait me into an argument now.
    Panther2103SBFordGazimoff
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,878
    TimEisen said:
     Theres only two directions from here and I've seen altered Carbon, one isn't pretty. 
    I gave this post an LOL, because I thought this bit was funny.. 
    TimEisen
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483

    Gdemami said:

    That is why we can't have nice things...

    The self-entitlement of these disgruntled ex-employees is shocking...well, not so much, seems like a good riddance...




    Oh boy, can't tell if a troll or actually thinking like this.

    The world is so jaded to me at this point that I have to second guess if someone is trying to bait me into an argument now.
    He is just really that committed to trying to be edgy.

    image
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 11,867
    Panther2103 said:
    Holy crap. What? You shouldn't be on edge 24/7 about whether or not you get to keep your job. 
    ...hm, so how will be paying those people when company does not have any use for them any longer? Or company should be paying them until they go under? Or do you have some magic knowledge how you can ensure company profits without ever need any sort of restructuralization?


    The thing is, no one knows the future, no one knows how long you will be in a business or how you will perform, it is not the whim of company leadership to let people go, they just do their best to keep up with market changes.



    It is getting ridiculously blown out of proportions. If any mid sized dev studio counting 200 heads let go 16 of their employees, no one would notice. 800 is a big number, sure, but they have freaking 10k employees.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,404
    I do wonder after the "merger" was this not bound at some point to happen? Not sure of the structure of Activision, but Blizzard directors go, then staff goes. It just seems to me that the fall out from the merger may have been held off until now?

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • pwnasauruspwnasaurus Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Not taking a position on this, but I wanted to clarify for everyone discussing: Kotick's salary is actually around $2M, and the rest of the number you're seeing is stock options/awards. This is not the same thing as receiving a $30M cash salary.
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,878
    Gdemami said:
    Panther2103 said:
    Holy crap. What? You shouldn't be on edge 24/7 about whether or not you get to keep your job. 
    ...hm, so how will be paying those people when company does not have any use for them any longer? Or company should be paying them until they go under? Or do you have some magic knowledge how you can ensure company profits without ever need any sort of restructuralization?


    The thing is, no one knows the future, no one knows how long you will be in a business or how you will perform, it is not the whim of company leadership to let people go, they just do their best to keep up with market changes.



    It is getting ridiculously blown out of proportions. If any mid sized dev studio counting 200 heads let go 16 of their employees, no one would notice. 800 is a big number, sure, but they have freaking 10k employees.
    Here is an aspect.

    It's called "Accountability" and it seems to be something that is not present in today's rich or leadership culture at the top end.

    See if a CEO, makes a mistake, hires a bunch of people, and realizes that was not a good move, they should be docked pay for this event, they directly should lose money for that mistake in judgment, because they are linked to the success of the company.

    What we saw here, was the CEO got a bonus, the shareholders made money, and 8% of their staff got fired... because.. obviously someone at the upper levels, made a bad call in judgment.. but.. still got paid top dollar regardless of it.

    Think about this way.. those 775 people, got fired because a CEO made a mistake, but the CEO themselves did not lose anything for that mistake.

    So you not see a problem with that?
    GdemamiTimEisen
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,208
    Gdemami said:
    Panther2103 said:
    Holy crap. What? You shouldn't be on edge 24/7 about whether or not you get to keep your job. 
    ...hm, so how will be paying those people when company does not have any use for them any longer? Or company should be paying them until they go under? Or do you have some magic knowledge how you can ensure company profits without ever need any sort of restructuralization?


    The thing is, no one knows the future, no one knows how long you will be in a business or how you will perform, it is not the whim of company leadership to let people go, they just do their best to keep up with market changes.



    It is getting ridiculously blown out of proportions. If any mid sized dev studio counting 200 heads let go 16 of their employees, no one would notice. 800 is a big number, sure, but they have freaking 10k employees.
    Hey

    A good response with valid points

    What I don't like about the way this was done is the shock factor. I like a smooth sailing boat, laying of close to 10% of your workforce is alarming for everyone in the company. It's shitty for moral and shitty for productivity.

    IMHO of course.

    "Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

This discussion has been closed.