Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    AnOldFart said:
    Well my "Coe" Community have now had enough, I was discussing with one of our "counts" and he is fed up too.
    As for our group founder, damn should have heard his rant. But then again it was all factual and the stuff that annoys me.

From the pre-kickstarter lies of it being low fantasy with lots of great features...
    To the kickstarter lies about time line and stuff.
    The tipping point for him was the "fantasy" races in a game that is again low fantasy.

If refunds appeared I would be the first one jn line, I would bet they would lose around 1/4 of their funds in refunds... 
    Ouch.  I heard that one of the "kings" that put down $10k for his kingdom (plus who knows what since) dropped from the game and that's why they had that silly event a few months back to assign it to someone else.

Wonder if he got his money back... otherwise, what do they do if he pops back in somewhere along the line?

tweedledumb99wingood

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    AnOldFart said:
    Well my "Coe" Community have now had enough, I was discussing with one of our "counts" and he is fed up too.
    As for our group founder, damn should have heard his rant. But then again it was all factual and the stuff that annoys me.

From the pre-kickstarter lies of it being low fantasy with lots of great features...
    The tipping point for him was the "fantasy" races in a game that is again low fantasy.

If refunds appeared I would be the first one jn line, I would bet they would lose around 1/4 of their funds in refunds... 
    Ouch.  I heard that one of the "kings" that put down $10k for his kingdom (plus who knows what since) dropped from the game and that's why they had that silly event a few months back to assign it to someone else.

Wonder if he got his money back... otherwise, what do they do if he pops back in somewhere along the line?

Do you honestly believe that SBS has thought about things like customer lapses due to disinterest, extended holidays or medical care?  What about their characters and purchased items.  Somebody (specifically that 'king') paid for something and now has lost it.  Was there a refund involved?  My guess is not.

The incident with the kingdom being reassigned pretty much flies in the face that you can lose anything in-game; you can also lose it out-of-game.

tweedledumb99Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    AnOldFart said:

I hadn't heard that, to my knowledge the ones that were left weren't purchased,but then I am not following it much any more... 

AnOldFart said:

I would bet your whole groups refund money that they do not have the funds to do refunds.
    I'm sometimes wasteful with my cash but even I can see this is not a good bet... 
    Gdemami[Deleted User]Mendel
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

There is more to that story, as you may or may not know. At the start you could sell your account, it didn't break any rules (something that has been since added in). So there was an Aussie KS king. At some given point he sold his account, for how much I have no idea to another guy, for whatever reason many months later SBS didn't like that he did that. It was weird, while the king that brought the account (redskull) wasn't really active, which not like he was the only king not active. He was active at the time when SBS took his kingship away or at least his discord was. If it was the same guy, I have zero idea.

Now I have no idea if redskull just didn't want king anymore. Or if SBS really didn't like that he got it by buying the account. But not like he was the only one that brought an account either. But seems unless he got a refund, why give up king title. He just waste god knows how much money to have nothing. The whole thing was very weird and happened very suddenly, seemly no one knew that this was coming.

A funny thing about the Aussie KS king, he now has another account. He is a double duke. So he has spent at least 20k on the game. Why the hell he sold his account, to then spend another 10k is utterly beyond me. Could have kept his king account and if he didn't want to stay king, it turns into a double duchy. Clearly someone with way too much money to throw around.
    AnOldFartMadFrenchieKyleranDakeruSlapshot1188[Deleted User]Mendeltweedledumb99[Deleted User]Strizzy12
    Another month another store event. I wish they would release everything else the same way. It just appearing one day. Not hyped up for months beforehand. That way people wouldn't know if it's late or not. If anything it feels like it should be the opposite. Hype up store events, so they get more money. Making them interesting would be of course nice as well.
    Torrsk said:
    Another month another store event. I wish they would release everything else the same way. It just appearing one day. Not hyped up for months beforehand. That way people wouldn't know if it's late or not. If anything it feels like it should be the opposite. Hype up store events, so they get more money. Making them interesting would be of course nice as well.
    Actually...https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/28673/Official-Calendar-of-Promotions-Events

They actually did publish their calendar of Promotions and Events.  The sales are literally the only deadlines I have ever seen them hit.  Somehow his Gantt charts work for those, but not anything else.
    KyleranAnOldFart

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Caspian meltdown for anybody who didn't get to witness it.
    tweedledumb99
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Actually...https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/28673/Official-Calendar-of-Promotions-Events

They actually did publish their calendar of Promotions and Events.  The sales are literally the only deadlines I have ever seen them hit.  Somehow his Gantt charts work for those, but not anything else.

Oh, I somehow forgot about that. Well at least they can hit something haha. Makes me wonder if there really is a game being worked on. It reminds me of some EA games. Keeping the hype going like they are still working on the game, but it's all a giant lie. 

While I get they need money, who would even be giving them money. At a monthly rate as well. When they have next to nothing to show. I suppose the saying, a sucker is born every minute, is good to use here. 
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    So, I haven't read every post in this thread, but: did CoE's lead decide to cut off MMORPG.com from access to their game because this website doesn't actively censor the community's negative opinions about CoE?

Cause Tim's article isn't scathing or insulting or saying anything beyond what seems to be plainly there for any observer, so it just seems too weird that his article is the reason they're mad.

Cutting off access for not censoring angry fans seems remarkably thin skinned. Cutting off coverage because of Tim's article seems stupid.

Gdemami
    So, I haven't read every post in this thread, but: did CoE's lead decide to cut off MMORPG.com from access to their game because this website doesn't actively censor the community's negative opinions about CoE?

SBS/CoE community has a pretty negative view of this whole site. Even though that view is mostly based on a few people. So if MMORPG lost access from Tim article I'm not sure. Wouldn't really surprise me. 

I caught something interesting last night. Saw this guy post a reply to the store event, basically asking to see anything else besides more store events. Then the comment was gone. Sometime later the same guy posted another reply, wondering why his comment was deleted. To naturally, that comment also got deleted. 

Both replies while could have been worded better, wasn't offensive or attacking. It wasn't the only comment asking for something either. 

Not the first time this has happened. I have been in many threads were SBS has personally silenced people. Normally by just locking the thread, saying whatever problem, isn't a problem at all. But deleting comments isn't so rare either. If SBS themselves are doing it or some mod, well that be something else all together. 
    [Deleted User]tweedledumb99Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited February 2019
    Arterius said:
    Torrsk said:

SBS/CoE community has a pretty negative view of this whole site. Even though that view is mostly based on a few people. So if MMORPG lost access from Tim article I'm not sure. Wouldn't really surprise me. 

I caught something interesting last night. Saw this guy post a reply to the store event, basically asking to see anything else besides more store events. Then the comment was gone. Sometime later the same guy posted another reply, wondering why his comment was deleted. To naturally, that comment also got deleted. 

Both replies while could have been worded better, wasn't offensive or attacking. It wasn't the only comment asking for something either. 

Not the first time this has happened. I have been in many threads were SBS has personally silenced people. Normally by just locking the thread, saying whatever problem, isn't a problem at all. But deleting comments isn't so rare either. If SBS themselves are doing it or some mod, well that be something else all together. 
    I believe it. Funny thing is back the day I was excited for this game. Not enough to back it but enough to try it when it released. Funny to think that will probably not happen now and I saved some money.
    This is actually one of the best (only?) arguments against backing a crowdfunded game; it takes so long that you might not be interested once it is done.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Arterius said:
    Torrsk said:

I believe it. Funny thing is back the day I was excited for this game. Not enough to back it but enough to try it when it released. Funny to think that will probably not happen now and I saved some money.
    This is actually one of the best (only?) arguments against backing a crowdfunded game; it takes so long that you might not be interested once it is done.
    Only?  Don't make me laugh.
    KyleranSlapshot1188StaalBurgher[Deleted User]

Arterius said:
    Torrsk said:

Only?  Don't make me laugh.
    You beat me to it...

MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2019
    Arterius said:
    Torrsk said:

Valid point, one I never considered when backing CUs kick starter almost 6 years ago.

I was sure the two year promise was unworkable, but hey, what do I know,  I'm  not a game developer as some here often point out.

MJ was an experienced one however and he had fallen on his sword over the whole WH fiasco saying he would not make the mistakes of the past.

So far the only lessons learned we've seen is to not be pressured into releasing before the game is done, which is looking to easily be around 8 years, well beyond the original two year promise.

So along comes Caspian around three years ago, with not much more game dev experience than me claiming he could deliver a MMORPG with far more complexity than CU on a shoestring budget in about two years.

Slapshot, me, and some others called him out on it and we were met with righteous indignation to the point of being labeled Harbingers and having these forums forever labeled as a tower of hatred.

See, the thing is, we have not been proven wrong on almost any of the points we raised , weird, maybe we really should be game devs after all.

Developer competence, honesty and ability to make realistic estimates which clearly identify the risks and mitigation plan are very good reasons to decide whether or not to fund an effort, well at least for me.

As SC continues to fund at an unprecedented pace (just passed $215M) clearly there is a large pool of backers for which none of what I mentioned above even applies. (There's a prediction I got totally wrong)

It really is a cult of sorts over there. 

;)

StaalBurgherGdemamitweedledumb99craftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited February 2019
    There are no other valid arguments against Kickstarter. There are only made up arguments based on false assumptions such as "you bought a product", which you didn't. You donated some money to a group of people on the internet to attempt something very risky.

Expressing skepticism about a projects feasibility is perfectly fine but has nothing to do with Kickstarter principle. People are free to donate as they wish.
    MadFrenchieKyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    There are no other valid arguments against Kickstarter. There are only made up arguments based on false assumptions such as "you bought a product", which you didn't. You donated some money to a group of people on the internet to attempt something very risky.
    Is the sky blue in your reality?  I'm curious.
    StaalBurgherKyleranGdemami

edited February 2019

Expressing skepticism about a projects feasibility is perfectly fine but has nothing to do with Kickstarter principle. People are free to donate as they wish.
    No that's utter bullshit.  Pure and simple.

There are promises made by the developer.  The expectation is that the developer will fulfill these promises.  Time is just ONE of those.

For instance, Caspien literally PROMISED in his kickstarter to PUBLISH and UPDATE his schedule on the website. (yes... literally promised.  Quote at the bottom).  This was a simple promise, easy to keep, yet not even close to being fulfilled.

Others include things like using a certain technology (SpatialOS) to enable them to complete something and then suddenly changing.   Another would be not mentioning ANYWHERE on the main Kickstarter page that the funds were not the whole amount and that the game would take another 2-3 million (which was also bullshit as we are at $5.5 and not even close).

So yeah... your claim is utter bullshit and easily disproven. All of the above are quite valid complaints which have nothing to do with just being late.  There is simply zero accountability and THIS is the biggest flaw with Kickstarter.

Quote from main Kickstarter Page:

Soulbound Studios promises to:

• Publish & update our schedule on the CoE website 

Gdemami

edited February 2019
    No, there is a promise to attempt to complete the project, that is all.

Publishing deadlines is just fluffy nice to haves but ultimately has no relevance as to whether the project is completed. Don't get me wrong I think they should do it if they said they have but this is not an argument against "Kickstarter".

Publishing deadlines is just fluffy nice to haves but ultimately has no relevance as to whether the project is completed.
    Again.. thats bullshit.

I literally showed you a promise they made.  On the front page.  100% within their ability to satisfy.  They have not done so.  There is no wiggle room here.
    KyleranGdemamitweedledumb99

edited February 2019

Publishing deadlines is just fluffy nice to haves but ultimately has no relevance as to whether the project is completed.
    Again.. thats bullshit.

I literally showed you a promise they made.  On the front page.  100% within their ability to satisfy.  They have not done so.  There is no wiggle room here.
    I said there are no valid arguments against Kickstarter and here you are hyperventilating against Caspian again. This is not healthy, Slap.
    Post edited by StaalBurgher on
    tweedledumb99

Part of their whole sales pitch was to be very transparent and open with development to be different from others.  They have been anything but that so they did sell a promise which they have failed with.  Well unless you paid 10k+ and are a part of the double secret special forums.
    Still has nothing to do with my original statement:

You guys are so busy circle-jerking to your collective hate that any comment is construed as... I don't even know what.
    tweedledumb99
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited February 2019

Part of their whole sales pitch was to be very transparent and open with development to be different from others.  They have been anything but that so they did sell a promise which they have failed with.  Well unless you paid 10k+ and are a part of the double secret special forums.
    Still has nothing to do with my original statement:

You guys are so busy circle-jerking to your collective hate that any comment is construed as... I don't even know what.
    You appear to be trying to build a strawman about kickstarters in general, and accuse others of focusing / hating only on COE.

I raised valid concerns about whether or not a backer feels the team is capable of delivering the project, if it is properly funded, or if the goals are even in the realm of possibility yet you ignore, because it dispels your argument?

MadFrenchies comment pissed you off, so rephrased,  in what reality are the points being raised invalid, clearly not the one most of the rest of us reside in.

(Though I know of at least one other resident in there with you.)

;)

MendelMadFrenchie

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    The best/weirdest part about all this is that I've only ever tried to help the team there with coverage. We NEED good MMOs to thrive. CoE was REVEALED here in a long series of articles. I want this game to be good and successful, because I'm both a fan of the genre, and I love what they're trying to do.

BUT. That doesn't mean I'm going to stop my columnists or our readers from voicing their opinions by censoring either of them.
    [Deleted User]MendelPhaserlightAmatheMadFrenchie[Deleted User]KyleranUngoodlaseritSlapshot1188and 4 others.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

edited February 2019
    Kyleran said:

You appear to be trying to build a strawman about kickstarters in general, and accuse others of focusing / hating only on COE.

I raised valid concerns about whether or not a backer feels the team is capable of delivering the project, if it is properly funded, or if the goals are even in the realm of possibility yet you ignore, because it dispels your argument?

MadFrenchies comment pissed you off, so rephrased,  in what reality are the points being raised invalid, clearly not the one most of the rest of us reside in.

;)

Those aren't arguments against Kickstarter. They are arguments against COE. There is the strawman.
    tweedledumb99MadFrenchie
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

;)

Those aren't arguments against Kickstarter. They are arguments against COE. There is the strawman.
    Okay.  Even though you are the one who injected Kickstarter into this discussion.

An argument against Kickstarter (and crowd-funding in general).  A developer attempts to raise money from individuals by encouraging the individuals to believe they are *investing* in their project without providing the same degree of accountability and return as any other financial investment.  This can be used, in some cases, to deceive the individual, and may be fraudulent.

MadFrenchieKyleranGdemamitweedledumb99

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.