Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sequel to Mortal Online is on its way

YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
"We are proud of what we have achieved with Mortal, a game with little in the way of close competition. But technology has moved on and the time has come to upgrade to UE4.with much improved graphics, inclusive vr compatibility and many other advanced features. Doing this will create what is in part a new game. And this makes this a good time to restate our vision for what we want Mortal to be.

We plan to create another world, for adventure and living another life. That this world will be internally consistent and logical, "realistic" if not in many ways like reality! There will be full pvp and full loot. But this is not because we are creating a combat simulator. This is a reasonable part of the life of the world and we do not plan for pvp to be all or even the most important part of what the game has to offer. We plan to make the game world much larger than it was before to make exploration and discovery more meaningful and to add a greater strategic element to conflict.

We have always been tough on cheating, but it is not enough that justice be done, it must be seen to be done. We plan to name and shame banned characters to improve confidence.

We also plan to continue our policy of justice for players. We will not allow any element of "pay to win" to enter our game. Fair play will always be our most important guiding principle. Wherever possible we will maintain the rules of the game unchanged, adding content and improvements but letting balance be decided in game. People who succeed will be allowed the fruits of their success. Similarly this is not an entirely new game and people who achieved wealth and success in Mortal will find that transferred to the new game in a new form. Similarly people who paid for lifetime subscriptions to Mortal will see them continue with it's successor. 

We would like to restrict all players to one character and one account. We originally wanted to do that, and we will look again into whether this can be done in the new game. This preserves the mystery and magic. If you want to go to far lands you will have to travel there, not just buy a new character. We feel that multiple characters are a version of pay to win and hope to be able to do away with it. Similarly we will remove the free to play element from Mortal 2.
This involved rework of our skill system to fit one char per account.

The lore of the world is a vital part of our game. We plan to publish more and make sure that it is reflected in the layout and nature of the world. Lore is not just a layer of icing on the cake, it is the core of what the world is and why things are as they are.

There will be patches added to MO as we play it today which will move over to MO2 as well. So we will continue to support MO until MO2 goes live.

More info about this step later on."

https://starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/mortal-online-2.126093/#post-2104739
AlmostLancelotSlapshot1188Gyva02Cryomatrix

Comments

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Awesome sauce cant wait.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Too funny.

KumaponUngoodForgrimm

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I am amazed this game was alive enough to be revitalized. Should be fun to see what they do the second time around.
    Slapshot1188
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited February 2019
    In a way, Mortal Online and Starvault were trailblazers.  They lowered the bar for the industry and many eagerly have lowered it further since. They started taking “donations” for their game before Crowdfunding was popular. They had an over-confident and inexperienced CEO, just like many of these Crowdfunded games that followed.  They set new standards for over-promising and under-delivering(which have been broken by those that followed). 

While others have followed, like Pathfinder Online, Greedmonger, and some current Crowdfunded games...  Mortal will always hold a special place in my heart.
    UngoodVermillion_RaventhalCaffynatedScot

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    " Similarly this is not an entirely new game and people who achieved wealth and success in Mortal will find that transferred to the new game in a new form.  

and with that all the duped gold and mats will transfer directly to the new game.....gg SV. GG. 

SV has always been good at talking, bad at everything else. i've played MO for a long time because the game was quite unique and i managed to find a good community in game. however, SV's inability to control duping, stop cheaters, ban exploiters eventually had me quit for good. 

i have no confidence that they will suddenly change their ways. doens't matter how good the game is. if you can't control exploiting and cheating it will always be a bad joke.   
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
    Maybe they should have called it MO 1.5
    Ungood

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    " Similarly this is not an entirely new game and people who achieved wealth and success in Mortal will find that transferred to the new game in a new form.  

and with that all the duped gold and mats will transfer directly to the new game.....gg SV. GG. 

SV has always been good at talking, bad at everything else. i've played MO for a long time because the game was quite unique and i managed to find a good community in game. however, SV's inability to control duping, stop cheaters, ban exploiters eventually had me quit for good. 

i have no confidence that they will suddenly change their ways. doens't matter how good the game is. if you can't control exploiting and cheating it will always be a bad joke.   
    I think this point, the inability of smaller dev teams (and some large ones) to control (not eliminate) cheating is really going to be a serious issue for many of these indie PVP centric games should they ever actually launch.

MadFrenchieUngoodlaserit

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I tried it when it launched... was an abysmal failure. Never bothered with it again ever since.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    MO was so good it demanded a sequel. This IP is really taking off.

I wonder if MO 2.0 will use the TOS from Star Citizen?
    KyleranGobstopper3D
    newbismx said:
    MO was so good it demanded a sequel. This IP is really taking off.

I wonder if MO 2.0 will use the TOS from Star Citizen?
    I forgot about that.  Was pretty epic when the TOS for Mortal threatened to ban people in EvE...

Good Times!
    Aethaeryn

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I actually really enjoyed Mortal Online. I didnt' stop playing because I got ganked. I stopped playing because the population was low and i'm a PoE junkie. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    It's kind of hard to explore and discover when you're constantly bleeding out from your last ganking. Good luck with it anyway, as some will be keen on this I'm sure.
    Wargfoot said:
    It's kind of hard to explore and discover when you're constantly bleeding out from your last ganking. Good luck with it anyway, as some will be keen on this I'm sure.
    I don't recall, could you kill people in the towns?
    You could call GUARDS in the starter areas

Is his dad funding this one too?

I forgot this existed but did they get enough players to warrant and fund a sequel?
    Well.. if you read between the lines it's not actually a new game...
    He says it will be "in part a new game"

I guess Mortal Royale wasn't quite the hit they hoped.
    [Deleted User]

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Wargfoot said:
    I actually really enjoyed Mortal Online. I didnt' stop playing because I got ganked. I stopped playing because the population was low and i'm a PoE junkie. 
    Was the cheating/developer favoritism a real thing or just sore heads on the forums?
    Did you get a sense either way on that?
    I only played for several weeks, but it was a deep game, mounted combat even, breeding mounts, they stayed in game unless you put em in the stable. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Wargfoot said:
    Was the cheating/developer favoritism a real thing or just sore heads on the forums?
    Did you get a sense either way on that?
    What happened was, they used player GMs to cut costs and they started abusing their GM powers to favour their own guilds. But this was a long time ago and they have since been dropped and hired non player GMs. As for cheaters, they even hardware ban them but like most games, they find a way to come back.

Wargfoot said:
    You can kill ppl anywhere but there is a flagging system (blue: innocent, grey & red: criminal) and theres guards in starter towns which will attack any criminal flagged player. So those are pretty safe, like high sec in eve sort of thing.

Full PvP and full loot... not optional server... they still haven't learned.
    What is there to learn? Not every game has to be the next WoW. Its definetly a niche genre but theres still ppl that like it.

Stizzled said:
    Wargfoot said:
    Wargfoot said:
    You could call GUARDS in the starter areas
    That is a cool concept... I shudder to think about how that would work out in actual game play.
    From what I remember if you were pickpocketed or attacked by another player you could simply type "guards" into chat and NPC guards would spawn instantly killing the offending player. You could then loot the corpse and retrieve whatever they had stolen, if anything.

That was very early on though and I have no idea if the system ever changed. I may not even be remembering it correctly.
    Insta spawn guards have been changed for persistent ones that patrol the streets. You can still type guards in chat and they will all aggro the criminal player.
    Sovrath
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kyleran said:

I think this point, the inability of smaller dev teams (and some large ones) to control (not eliminate) cheating is really going to be a serious issue for many of these indie PVP centric games should they ever actually launch.

Its really too bad that some people have no control over themselves. Imagine how much better games could be if Devs and players didn't have to worry about cheating.

Many a great design concept is rendered un-doable  because of cheating

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Stopped reading at full loot pvp.
    [Deleted User]Ungoodiixviiiix
  • Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    edited February 2019
    Some people dont learn.

The games core mechanics were just godawful and im sure will be the same under the new engine. It was nothing more than lulz griefing, and could barely maintain an audience when that was somewhat popular.

Just like darkfall, which was the functional version of this game, cheaters destroyed what little portion of the mmorpg community could even understand...how full loot pvp works and how its not awful and scary....like the above poster.  So few will even give it a try and those who do only care about griefing.

I played DF for years, was awful at pvp (part of that was i didnt cheat, but id have been bad anyway) and had a great PVE experience.  Sad so few people could understand how a full loot pve craft based economy works.