Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ATVI Investor Call Reveals High Profits While Simultaneously Laying Off 8% of Blizzard's Workforce

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageActivision Blizzard Q4 2018 Investors Call Begins & Rumored Layoffs Have Begun - MMORPG.com News

The Activision Blizzard Investor Relations call is underway and Kotaku is reporting that the layoff process has started with employees being informed today. "We didn't execute as well as we had hoped in 2018 and fell below what we might expect. We didn't achieve the player reach and goals we set for 2018." said Bobby Kotick. We are blogging key takeaways from the investor call so head through the jump.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    WoW's MAUs have declined "as expected" after the launch of an expansion.

BFA sucks. Don't try to dance around it and blame it on the usual after expansion exodus.
    SBFord6stack_ChrisThahar[Deleted User]Asch126Deadrites87XingbairongTuor7speedylegs8wingoodand 5 others.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    At Blizzard, the layoffs appear to only have affected non-game-development departments, such as publishing and esports, both of which were expected to be hit hard.

The company said it would be cutting mainly non-game-development departments and bolstering its development staff for franchises like Call of Duty and Diablo.
    Kyleraninfomatz[Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This quote is missing in order to put this into context:

"The number of developers working on Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Warcraft®, Hearthstone and Diablo® in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019."

It sucks to be laid off, of course, but the increases to staff actually developing games and not just publishing or propping eSports sounds alright to me.
    PalebaneKyleranThupliSabracLackingMMOinfomatzScot[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2019
    They said that "mobile is our top priority" across all IPs and franchises.

It's the first investor call I've ever listened to from a company of Activision-Blizzard's size that didn't announce a new game or expansion. Literally nothing new in 2019.

They will definitely be adding more devs to push out more content more quickly, but time will tell how that will translate over time. Honestly, it all felt like such PR speak that it made my head hurt. :D

Brack sounded out of his depth, IMO.
    KyleranwingoodSabracDhamon99infomatzScot[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    800 lost jobs 
    Unfortunate but necessary , for the direction headed into 2019 , still carrying 9000 employees and hiring in the future
    Celcius
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331

SBFord said:

It's the first investor call I've ever listened to from a company of Activision-Blizzard's size that didn't announce a new game or expansion. Literally nothing new in 2019.

They will definitely be adding more devs to push out more content more quickly, but time will tell how that will translate over time. Honestly, it all felt like such PR speak that it made my head hurt. :D

They sound like what most of us have been thinking: A company that's lost it's way and in a changing market at that!
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    No mention of WoW Classic at all, wew.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    Well....image
    SBFord said:

Betting on WoW Classic is my guess....
    Kyleran
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Blizzard lost his soul in 2018, especially with Mike Morhaime leaving the company.

"Bizzard is like your best friend for 20 years and suddenly.. died"

I will miss Blizzard, for sure.

About the article, all I can see is PR. Add that to MOBILE IS A TOP priority , and you have my above comment to sum it up , very good.
    Tuor7Gorweinfomatz
  • BobVaBobVa Member UncommonPosts: 125
    And .. it has begun : https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ythisens-you-will-be-missed/99477

As of today I’m no longer an employee of @Blizzard_Ent. Wasn’t my choice. I wanted to retire here. I was just laid off from my dream job.

Probably not best for me to tweet right now but it was an honor being your CM @Warcraft community. I love all of you.
    SBFord said:

It's all PR speak of course. And the PR is spun to make it sound like refocusing on core, best year ever, etc.

Has Blizzard ever announced some new game or expansion in those calls? I may be wrong but their MO has always struck me as never revealing anything new unless it's at Blizzcon and almost fully cooked.
    Tuor7gervaise1wingood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    SBFord said:

It's all PR speak of course. And the PR is spun to make it sound like refocusing on core, best year ever, etc.

Has Blizzard ever announced some new game or expansion in those calls? I may be wrong but their MO has always struck me as never revealing anything new unless it's at Blizzcon and almost fully cooked.
    ding ding ding.... we have a winner
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

BobVa said:

And .. it has begun : https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/ythisens-you-will-be-missed/99477

As of today I’m no longer an employee of @Blizzard_Ent. Wasn’t my choice. I wanted to retire here. I was just laid off from my dream job.

Probably not best for me to tweet right now but it was an honor being your CM @Warcraft community. I love all of you.

Ythisens was like the only good CM too.
    SBFord[Deleted User]Thaharinfomatz
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    SBFord said:

Blizzcon you say... will they even have a Blizzcon this year?

Blizzcon is always a financial loss - not sure if Blizzard is willing to eat the cost again for the sake of fans
    How do you measure financial loss against PR? Does Quakecon actually make money? 

[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Layoffs utterly suck

Yet the ones at the top will collect their million dollar bonuses.
    Sad.
    IselinTuor7wingoodStrizzy12CelciusSabracinfomatzTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]URMAKER

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Layoffs utterly suck

Sad.
    Isn't that corporate society in a nutshell?

Put your faith in trickle down Reaganomics and make "union" a dirty word and this is what you get.
    ThupliVorthanionMadFrenchieinfomatzetlarLiljna[Deleted User]colera1333

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    SBFord said:

Blizzcon is always a financial loss - not sure if Blizzard is willing to eat the cost again for the sake of fans
    How do you measure financial loss against PR? Does Quakecon actually make money? 

The "PR" from their last Blizzcon wounded them terribly. I think in financially troubled times like 2019, they'll ditch it to "focus on development". We'll see how that turns out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    What I read:
    Mobile somethingsomething Mobile somethi gsomethingsomething MOBILE.

I think they might be planning on going hard to mobile.
    As a business, they know where the money is, and as a business, they will chase it. Reguardless of what you, I or anyone else thinks they should do.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    "Mobile is the focus..."

Investors can understand that, everyone knows that's where the BIG profits are !
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2019

Iselin said:

This quote is missing in order to put this into context:

"The number of developers working on Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Warcraft®, Hearthstone and Diablo® in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019."

It sucks to be laid off, of course, but the increases to staff actually developing games and not just publishing or propping eSports sounds alright to me.

Internal.

Not included in the 800 jobs being "let go" is Bungee - an external resource so not counted in the numbers, albeit a resource that Activision Blizzard were funding to produce game(s) that Activision Blizzard were then selling.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,981
    Iselin said:
    Layoffs utterly suck

Sad.
    Isn't that corporate society in a nutshell?

Put your faith in trickle down Reaganomics and make "union" a dirty word and this is what you get.
    Disagree on Reaganomics and Unions... but from an early age, I was taught that when you fire someone you better be able to look yourself in the mirror and say you did everything you could because you aren't just firing the employee you are firing their family.

But knowing that this is how the company behaves... prospective employees should keep that in mind before joining them.  
    [Deleted User]Tuor7

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    SBFord said:

There absolutely will be a BlizzCon and the same PR trip ups will not be made again
  • Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    edited February 2019
    makes me not want to touch classic wow with a 10 ft pole.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    donpadrexwingoodanemo[Deleted User]infomatzTuor7Kootur
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

SBFord said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    SBFord said:

The "PR" from their last Blizzcon wounded them terribly. I think in financially troubled times like 2019, they'll ditch it to "focus on development". We'll see how that turns out.
    IDK but they screwed it up and they need to be seen to be able to rebound with a good vibes Blizzcon for their public image and investor confidence. Cancelling it in 2019 would just look too much like they are giving up and don't have the confidence that they can still produce a positive public event.

Not all AAA studio/publishers have these yearly things. Blizz, Bethesda and SC are actually the only ones I can think of. It's certainly not required but after establishing the pattern, breaking the pattern would look like they're really in dire straights. Does any company want to be perceived that way? 
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED