Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard employees crying and hugging in the parking lot

Comments

• BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I feel bad for them but getting laid off is a very common occurence in many industries where I live.  I get a seasonal layoff almost every year and many times I never know when I'm going back, where I'll be working at next year, or even if I have a job next year if my company missed out on contracts.  Hell I was getting worried recently till I got a call last week for work starting at the end of the month ( weather permitting of course).
  • WargfootWargfoot Member UncommonPosts: 248
    It is kind of nice they waited until after the holiday season.
    Kyleran
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 5,946
    I don't feel bad for Blizzard. They are worth millions despite having made some seriously stupid decisions in their games. I basically gave up playing Blizzard games because they don't put out quality content anymore.
    They completely shifted into something else thats unrecognizable.  And NOTHING to do with the original products they made at one time.
    Gdemami
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,483
    edited February 12
    Sovrath said:
    What amazes me every time something like this happens are the "white knighters" coming out of the woodwork to defend corporate greed.
    I don't think there is a one person here defending "corporate greed."

I will say that corporations "are what they are."

You always know where you stand when you are working for a large corporation and there is always the chance of being laid off if the projections are a few more % off than management would like.

but corporations make money. They make money for investors. that's what they do. It's like complaining that water is wet.

But that doesn't diminish the human factor and the sorrow/issues that laid off employees feel.

Nothing about knowing what they are would make it excusable if what they are is parasitic on the average citizen.  

Being honest about being shitty doesn't absolve one of said shittiness.  That kind of apathy is what allows corporations burrow into the grey areas of law (and, indeed, directly into "illegal" sometimes).
    Gdemami

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,112
    I don't feel bad for Blizzard. They are worth millions despite having made some seriously stupid decisions in their games. I basically gave up playing Blizzard games because they don't put out quality content anymore.
    They completely shifted into something else thats unrecognizable.  And NOTHING to do with the original products they made at one time.
    But the people losing their jobs were not the ones making those decisions, they are just the easy targets when when the boss wants to cut costs.

I hope these people find good jobs soon.
    AmatheNycteliosGdemami

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,768
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    Heartbreaking. I can't imagine wondering and worrying for days without any idea if your job is in peril or not. Rumors are saying it's going to be in publishing and other non-development sectors, but how terrible. My heart aches for them.

Blizzard has long been a staple of job stability in the video game industry. I know people that went to work at Blizzard because of a peace of mind - not having to worry constantly about being let go.

Now that feeling is gone, and there is no safe spot in the video game industry anymore. Its truly terrible that this is happening as it will only result in more devs leaving the industry for good (which has been happening for a while already).

Where have all the C̶o̶w̶b̶o̶y̶s̶ Developers gone?
    last I know the only place you had any stable work place is if you work for teh goverment, any other place you always have a chance to be fired, so maybe that is the reason for the lazy work lately? I know the goverment have a lot of these
    Healthcare has good job security
    TimEisen
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I don't think this was a matter of cronyism. You might be misusing the word. This has to do with the common tale of the 2 Bobs (the corporate min/max agency hired to cut costs and increase profit).
    Hey look guys I have an alt account.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I don't think this was a matter of cronyism. You might be misusing the word. This has to do with the common tale of the 2 Bobs (the corporate min/max agency hired to cut costs and increase profit).
    Hey look guys I have an alt account.
    Reported! :D 

...  That is reportable, right?  I've never actually reported anyone.
    TimEisen

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,146
    Gorwe said:
    Horusra said:
    Gorwe said:
    FUCK Croney Capitalism(it's rotten to the core)! Look, I admire Capitalism as an idea, but...Croney Capitalism is literally the worst.

My condolences to the employees. Suits...go and jump off a bridge, will you? /spit
    Do you even know what Crony Capitalism is?
    Yes, ofc. When Trump the entrepreneur personally knows a minister of architecture(or something) then manages to influence the "free" market. It's when Economy(in a Capitalist form) and Politics mingle, the result is Crony Capitalism.
    What does any of that do with Blizzard?
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,112
    Horusra said:
    Gorwe said:
    Horusra said:
    Gorwe said:
    FUCK Croney Capitalism(it's rotten to the core)! Look, I admire Capitalism as an idea, but...Croney Capitalism is literally the worst.

My condolences to the employees. Suits...go and jump off a bridge, will you? /spit
    Do you even know what Crony Capitalism is?
    Yes, ofc. When Trump the entrepreneur personally knows a minister of architecture(or something) then manages to influence the "free" market. It's when Economy(in a Capitalist form) and Politics mingle, the result is Crony Capitalism.
    What does any of that do with Blizzard?
    Probably how Actiblizzion works.  :D

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 990
    The content is definitely high quality.

It's the philosophy behind it that is the problem :-P 
    BossChono said:
    I feel bad for them but getting laid off is a very common occurence in many industries where I live.  I get a seasonal layoff almost every year and many times I never know when I'm going back, where I'll be working at next year, or even if I have a job next year if my company missed out on contracts.  Hell I was getting worried recently till I got a call last week for work starting at the end of the month ( weather permitting of course).

Yea, my dad worked in the oil field and this was beyond common.  Lol.  People are acting like this is a new thing, these days.  You can tell that they have been shielded from reality in a bubble.  For most people - especially middle/working class people - layoffs are beyond common.  No one is owed a job.

The best way to prevent it is to work harder and move up the latter.  Make yourself less dispensable.  I think a lot of people get really comfortable in their lower level jobs, and reality hits when things like this happens.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  Many large game companies have died or downsized considerably.  It's becomming harder and harder to maintain teh tatus quo, unless your games go full P2W or you put shopping malls in them ;-)
    Gdemami
    edited February 12
    Sovrath said:
    What amazes me every time something like this happens are the "white knighters" coming out of the woodwork to defend corporate greed.

You always know where you stand when you are working for a large corporation and there is always the chance of being laid off if the projections are a few more % off than management would like.

but corporations make money. They make money for investors. that's what they do. It's like complaining that water is wet.

But that doesn't diminish the human factor and the sorrow/issues that laid off employees feel.

Nothing about knowing what they are would make it excusable if what they are is parasitic on the average citizen.  

Being honest about being shitty doesn't absolve one of said shittiness.  That kind of apathy is what allows corporations burrow into the grey areas of law (and, indeed, directly into "illegal" sometimes).
    You don't have the right to a job.  You have the right to pursue a job.  That's it.  Corporations don't owe these people anything, except severance as dictated by their contracts - if such existed.

If laying people off to maintain profitability, or increase it (by decreasing operating costs) is "parasitic," then what is keeping them on while committing corporate suicide?  Altruism?  Who does that help?  Are they going to accept the massive pay cuts needed across the board to maintain employee status, while the business also meets its objectives?  Or Will they riot, strike, and call it "unfair" because they "aren't getting paid enough," instead?

Have you ever owned a business and employed people?  I think in many cases, people haven't... If you had, you'd understand the nuances of this a bit better.  In many cases, it's simply easier to lay them off then try to negotiate the alternatives.  It isn't worth the headache, especially in the current climate.  I would have laid them off, too.

Corporate Greed is a myth.  The entire drive of a corporation is to make money for shareholders - at any cost possible.  When you apply for a job, you do so knowing this, and knowing that if you don't help them to achieve that, you're de facto expendable and can be cut off at any time.

Sure, some corporations try to take moral high ground, on the assumption that it will actually win them "good will" (and customers, as a result; Apple does this all the time), but that is only a play for more profits (and in some cases, an excuse to keep prices higher while excusing it to consumers in a way that seems logical and rational).  It's a mental game they play, because they know people like you exist and will probably overpay simply due to ideology; when cheaper alternatives exist.
    MadFrenchieGorweGdemami
  • UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,757
    Ya know what really kills me about Blizzard, is they have the best.. I mean.. Absolute Best Trailers and Videos for their games.. like ever.. they are funny, engaging, well done, I love them, I don't even play WoW or Overwatch, and yet I have watched all their trailers for both games, a few times over because they were epic.. and yet they still managed to make a shit movie.. I cannot even fathom how that was remotely possible.
    Darksworm said:
    Sovrath said:

You don't have the right to a job.  You have the right to pursue a job.  That's it.  Corporations don't owe these people anything, except severance as dictated by their contracts - if such existed.

If laying people off to maintain profitability, or increase it (by decreasing operating costs) is "parasitic," then what is keeping them on while committing corporate suicide?  Altruism?  Who does that help?  Are they going to accept the massive pay cuts needed across the board to maintain employee status, while the business also meets its objectives?  Or Will they riot, strike, and call it "unfair" because they "aren't getting paid enough," instead?

Have you ever owned a business and employed people?  I think in many cases, people haven't... If you had, you'd understand the nuances of this a bit better.  In many cases, it's simply easier to lay them off then try to negotiate the alternatives.  It isn't worth the headache, especially in the current climate.  I would have laid them off, too.

Corporate Greed is a myth.  The entire drive of a corporation is to make money for shareholders - at any cost possible.  When you apply for a job, you do so knowing this, and knowing that if you don't help them to achieve that, you're de facto expendable and can be cut off at any time.

Sure, some corporations try to take moral high ground, on the assumption that it will actually win them "good will" (and customers, as a result; Apple does this all the time), but that is only a play for more profits (and in some cases, an excuse to keep prices higher while excusing it to consumers in a way that seems logical and rational).  It's a mental game they play, because they know people like you exist and will probably overpay simply due to ideology; when cheaper alternatives exist.
    Your entire rant missed my point.

It was fairly clear by the original post, though, so I don't think I need to spend the time or effort extrapolating.
    Gdemami

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,910
    Ungood said:
    Ya know what really kills me about Blizzard, is they have the best.. I mean.. Absolute Best Trailers and Videos for their games.. like ever.. they are funny, engaging, well done, I love them, I don't even play WoW or Overwatch, and yet I have watched all their trailers for both games, a few times over because they were epic.. and yet they still managed to make a shit movie.. I cannot even fathom how that was remotely possible.
    Thats because Blizz did not make the movie , the sold the rights to Duncan Jones to make the movie , who then proceeded to alter Blizzs  original script considerably...
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,042
    You don't have to feel bad for Blizzard. Blizzard is not the one being fired here. Blizzard is not even capable of hugging or crying.

delete5230SovrathcraftseekerNyctelios
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,451
    Sovrath said:

If a company does something illegal then it should be taken to task, no doubt about that.

But if a person works for a multi-national corporation then they should know what they are getting into.

At no time in my employement have I ever thought that my company would hold my hand when I was down. They will take care of their employees right up to the point they don't want those employees. If people don't like it then work for smaller companies.

The caveat to that is when people live in areas where there isn't that much employment and they have no choice. That's very sad and unfortunate.

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,786
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:
    Heartbreaking. I can't imagine wondering and worrying for days without any idea if your job is in peril or not. Rumors are saying it's going to be in publishing and other non-development sectors, but how terrible. My heart aches for them.
    Blizzard has long been a staple of job stability in the video game industry. I know people that went to work at Blizzard because of a peace of mind - not having to worry constantly about being let go.

Now that feeling is gone, and there is no safe spot in the video game industry anymore. Its truly terrible that this is happening as it will only result in more devs leaving the industry for good (which has been happening for a while already).

All I know is if these are developers working WoW that have been ignoring their player base for years....I personally don't give a crap. If I suck at my job I get fired too. 

Any collateral damage from Blizzard's arrogant devs and crap decisions, that is who I feel sorry for. The rest...the culprits... I don't care if they ever work in gaming again. Go flip a burger.
    Now, now, no reason to publically behave like a horses ass and dance over people's graves, all comes around in the end.

;)

Did you READ my post? And no one freaking died so spare me the dramatics.
    Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    rodarin said:
    yet despite this still historical lows in unemployment....

I believe a few recent natural disasters just might be responsible for much of that... rebuilding towns and repairing damaged/obliterated infrastructure takes a lot of employees, even those who are eminently underqualified could land a job(ie. just look at the govt).

That's not even counting all the full-time political pundits and hawkers plus the huge increase in the number of lawyers hired by many in the political realm...

OT, what I find dismaying is how short sighted many companies and their stockholders are, surely they expect people to buy their product/s... however, the unemployed/disenfranchised seldom have the wherewithal to afford luxury items(this may come as a surprise to some, but yes gaming is a luxury).
    edited February 12
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

If a company does something illegal then it should be taken to task, no doubt about that.

But if a person works for a multi-national corporation then they should know what they are getting into.

At no time in my employement have I ever thought that my company would hold my hand when I was down. They will take care of their employees right up to the point they don't want those employees. If people don't like it then work for smaller companies.

The caveat to that is when people live in areas where there isn't that much employment and they have no choice. That's very sad and unfortunate.
    There's nothing here about holding anyone's hand.  There's also nothing about knowing the nature of an organization that inherently makes it okay or positive.  An admitted thief is still a thief (this isn't implying that's what happened here, this is a general response about your original post of resignation towards corporations).  If something appears to be detrimental to the common good, the perpetrators of that thing are no less destructive to the society merely because they're honest about it.

The status quo isn't inherently best-case merely because it's the status quo.  Status quo doesn't even imply "good-case."
    AeolynGdemamiTimEisen

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,450
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:
    Thats because Blizz did not make the movie , the sold the rights to Duncan Jones to make the movie , who then proceeded to alter Blizzs  original script considerably...
    Sam Raimi was the director before Duncan Jones and, in interviews he gave, he said that Blizzard, to paraphrase, were a) very involved and b) unhappy with the script and concept. It was a humans good, orcs bad approach!

Rami was replaced. (Blizzard were involved in the production with Legendary).

Duncan Jones was brought in and - with Blizzard's approval - changed the script. (There were other names involved with the scripte.g. Charles Levitt). Like Rami Jones gave interviews afterwards.

And I think its easy to see why Bliz would have been unhappy with a Humans good, Orcs bad approach.
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 855
    Layoffs always sucks.  It was inevitable though.  The gaming industry (really entertainment industry) has had it good compared to the rest of the corporate world.  Making money hand over fist and shareholders making a mint.  Now the real world is catching up with them.

The hardest being hit are those who have been getting away with poor management decisions for years and those who only worry about short term health of their company and not the long term.  The gaming industry is facing a self correction just like the stock market does now and then.  Last year was bad for layoffs and this year it isn't going to get any better.

I have mentioned before that I have a cousin who has worked in the gaming industry for 16+ yrs.  He told me recently that this is his last year.  It's time to move on and that it's going to get much worse before it gets better.

Hope those that lost their jobs land on their feet again soon.  They are probably better off some place other than gaming, for now.
    Gdemami

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,497
    Viper482 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Viper482 said:
    DMKano said:
    SBFord said:

All I know is if these are developers working WoW that have been ignoring their player base for years....I personally don't give a crap. If I suck at my job I get fired too. 

Any collateral damage from Blizzard's arrogant devs and crap decisions, that is who I feel sorry for. The rest...the culprits... I don't care if they ever work in gaming again. Go flip a burger.
    Now, now, no reason to publically behave like a horses ass and dance over people's graves, all comes around in the end.

;)

Did you READ my post? And no one freaking died so spare me the dramatics.
    Yeah I did, the point stands. As there appears to be multiple dancers perhaps this will help.

"Verb: dance on someone's grave

To celebrate a person's death or downfall triumphantly."

It's just bad form, which there is no shortage of in these forums.

Nothing personal, your post was just convenient.
    craftseekerGdemami

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,451
    edited February 13

There's nothing here about holding anyone's hand.  There's also nothing about knowing the nature of an organization that inherently makes it okay or positive.  An admitted thief is still a thief (this isn't implying that's what happened here, this is a general response about your original post of resignation towards corporations).  If something appears to be detrimental to the common good, the perpetrators of that thing are no less destructive to the society merely because they're honest about it.

The status quo isn't inherently best-case merely because it's the status quo.  Status quo doesn't even imply "good-case."
    It's pretty simple, if you don't like large corporations then don't work for them.

Don't buy their products either.

if a large corporation does something against the law then by all means they shoud be held accountable.

But large corporations do large thigns that smaller companies can't.

My original post was just that, if you are going to work for a large corporation know what you are getting into. Not any more complicated than that.

And "no" I never said anything that gave large corporations carte blanche to be parasitic, to do anyting against the law.

But people seem to forget that large corporations do let people go, do look at their bottom line when they are buying their products.
    Gdemami