Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

At what point do you look up stuff in the game you are playing.

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
Here is my dilemma, i am playing Subnautica and i like to figure the game out without looking up anything. Ive played for about 48 hours but i swear the last 15 or so hours has me stuck. Ive been searching for ways to progress but have gotten no where.

I dont want to look stuff up, i want to complete the game on my own, but im getting frustrated as ive done jack shit for progression. I know there is one silly thing i forgot or missed and that is why i cant progress probably. But i am fighting with myself not to look it up.

So when do you look shit up? 
- when you get stuck for like 5 mins
- an hour
- a few hours
- several hours
- 10+ hours
- days
- never

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
AlBQuirky

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I don't mess about. There's too many games to play for me to be stuck in one for hours in one spot. I always ask myself.. is the feeling of accomplishment for doing it on my own going to outweigh the forced frustration I'd be putting on myself? The answer is almost always no.

If it was a puzzle game or point and click, I'd never look for answers because the whole point is to figure things out yourself, that's why you play it.

In other games though, if you can get stuck for hours then I consider it a flaw in the game's design; the way it presents, or fails to present, logical conclusions to the player. It's like fixing a bug to me.
    CryomatrixjimmywolfPhryimmodiumMadFrenchieInteritusAeolyn
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I would look something up ,if after an hour I cant figure it out. Im not into wasting my time or causing myself frustration.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Like you, I want to figure things out for myself. Since time is not a major factor for me, I feel I have the luxury to take as much as needed.

That being said, I'll backtrack to double or triple check to see if I can find what I've overlooked. I'll triple and quadruple check any in game "checklists." Depending on the game, if after a couple of hours of turning over every rock I can find I am still stuck, I'll "give up" and search. Then I plant my palm firmly IN my forehead for not seeing some tiny, obscure point that allows me to progress again :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• XanzoXanzo Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I try to figure things out for myself for a while, but if I'm still stuck after 20-30 min, I look it up. Like Kano said, time is precious.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Almost never.  Sometimes if I am stuck and there just isnt any next logical step.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Here is my dilemma, i am playing Subnautica and i like to figure the game out without looking up anything. Ive played for about 48 hours but i swear the last 15 or so hours has me stuck. Ive been searching for ways to progress but have gotten no where.

I dont want to look stuff up, i want to complete the game on my own, but im getting frustrated as ive done jack shit for progression. I know there is one silly thing i forgot or missed and that is why i cant progress probably. But i am fighting with myself not to look it up.

- an hour
    - a few hours
    - several hours
    - 10+ hours
    - days
    - never

This is something I just dealt with.

For Zelda, Breath of the wild, "after a bit" just because it's an activity I do with my girlfriend and it's more about having "light fun" than really figuring out where all these shrines are. If we get to a shrine where we have  no idea how to get into it we'll take 20 minutes and then look it up.

As for me, I usually don't like looking things up. However, I feel I'm getting soft. Probably because many games have indicators that pretty much turn your brain to mush.

I was playing Praey for the Gods and I came across what should have been a simple puzzle for the boss but I couldn't figure it out.

It was the giant Dune worm thingy. I did what I thought I had to, it "bowed it's head" and when I targeted it with the hand grappling hook I didn't see a tether point.

wasn't sure how to get on it until I looked it up after a time and FELT REALLY STUPID. Now, I'm going to adopt the method of, for my own games, not every looking a thing up until I've tried it for a very, very, very long time. Like days.

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Depends on the game and which mood i am in atm.
    AlBQuirky
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    It really depends on the type of game. If it's a single player game and there's something in the way of progression, I'll look it up after a while of trying ~30 mins to an hour. If the game is entirely based around puzzles like a point and click adventure or a game like The Witness, then I will try really hard not to look it up as that is the point of the game, to figure out the puzzles. 
    Sovrath
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    When it gets to the point of "how was I supposed to know to do that?" 
    AlBQuirkySovrath
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    At the point where the developers attempt to balance pacing and clever obscurity challenge breaks down.  Aka, exactly what @Aeander said.
    AlBQuirky

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I'll also do it when there is the very real possibility of missing content.

Ie: Persona is all about time management, so you damn well bet I'm going to be looking up all the dialogue options that build social links more quickly and save precious, limited ingame days.
    AlBQuirky
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Depends on the point of the game.  In puzzle games I'll try for hours before resorting to looking up the answer.  In any other genre, I'll lookup the answer within minutes of being stuck.
    MadFrenchieAlBQuirky

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Being 100% candid, I shamelessly look up the answers to puzzles. Because while I support the idea of puzzles, after a long day's work I am looking more for action not puzzles.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I killed myself playing the first Zone in Secret World without using any outside help at all, took me over 3 months to finish Kingsmouth alone.  I was proud to have done it, but I never wanted to do it again.  Started looking up spoilers for quests starting the next zone

AmatheAlBQuirky
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Heavily dependent on the game.

In Factorio I'll look up the more complicated stuff because I'm not a freaking engineer. 

But in RPGs I never look anything up ahead of time because the characters wouldn't know how to navigate the dungeon or beat the boss beforehand, and I'm trying to be the characters.

I spoil WoW at the drop of a hat because I couldn't care less about the story or lore, I'm just there for the twitch action.

But I play EQ like an RPG, making maps and writing about mobs and zones, not spoiling things.

In Ark I spoil the dino abilities for myself cause I'm not interested much in the combat, but I ignore story and world spoilers (like where caves are and where metal is etc).
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited February 2019
    And while we are on the subject of puzzles, there are mental ones and then there are also jumping/climbing (that sort of thing) ones. I very much dislike jumping puzzles, because I suck at them. I have fallen hundreds of times trying to complete certain jumping puzzles. Hell will be a jumping puzzle. 
    Post edited by Amathe on
    AeolynSovrathAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    - an hour
    - a few hours
    - several hours
    - 10+ hours
    - days
    - never

The split-second anything stumps me or I notice that my progress seems stonewalled. I will check to see what mistakes I am making and how to correct them.

The stipulation to this, is I have a limit on how much time I am going to invest into looking up the answers or checking out guides and walk troughs and the like, if it feels like I am doing that more than playing and figuring out the game itself, that's my sign that this might not be right game for me.

But you gotta do what you enjoy. What works for me, is not what works for everyone.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I take teh measurement of my time spend and my tries, if every try I did fail and I can't pin point a exit, I will look up, so many times I find the thing I was trying to do was impossible because of a bug
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BossChonoBossChono Member UncommonPosts: 23
    When I can't grasp certain mechanic explanations in game.  For example the first time I got a legendary item in lotro.  Made no sense to me.  Or if I get really stuck or lost (Zelda Majora's Mask comes to mind, along with most Final Fantasy games).  Or if I have beaten a game but missed a lot (Mario Odyssey is a good recent example).
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
        I will take Days , i really like to figure this stuff out on my own , much more satisfying when you do ..

Ive had many nites when im laying down and ill think about the problem and be running everything thru my head , and come up with different ways of approaching the problem and solve them most times...

When you start looking stuff up you are not even playing the game imo , someone else played the game for you ..
    Velifax
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    - about an hour or two, depending.

I used to subscribe to Nintendo Power back in the day, so I definitely need the help often, lol. I love to mess w games and usually try to figure stuff out myself, but I’m no fan wild goose chases. Time is too precious and too many games to play, as others have said already. I’d rather finish a game than agonize over a puzzle or missing quest item.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    It really depends. If there's a complex puzzle where I have everything I need to solve it and it's just a matter of figuring it out, then I generally won't look it up at all (e.g. Portal).

On the flip side, some games aren't well designed and you're just not finding the clues/pieces you need to solve the puzzle. For example, I'm playing through In Verbis Virtus, and all of the glyphs you can use the command spell to activate are green. Suddenly a puzzle has a white command glyph, and places it in an elevated position where you have no reason to look up and see it. After 10 minutes of not even having a starting point to solve the puzzle, I hit up a walkthrough.
    AlBQuirky
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Update:

I finally beat Subnautica. I probably blew an extra 30-40 hours because I got stuck. But at least I explored the game's mechanics well. 

My first mistake was, when i was investigating an area, i think i forget to pick up everything or I did pick up everything and then I died and re-loaded and in the interim i thought i picked up everything but when i reloaded it didn't save. 

I kind of figured things out after i retracted my steps and searched an area super well to figure out to go back to that place i already checked. 

Then i got stuck again and it was two-fold, i missed finding a well-hidden area on a random search that would have unlocked things. Also, i figured things out by re-reading all the clues and realized that i had made some deduction errors. 

In short, had I sat down and just re-read the clues properly the first time, I may have saved myself a lot of time and effort. 

I'm happy, I didn't look shit up but at the same time, was it worth 30-40 hours? But my base is pretty cool looking. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Well my first computer game was MUDs. Guess what, ever since I look up EVERYTHING. Basically I make sure I have a complete solution right at hand, whenever possible.

Because if you have spent days knowing what you want to do, but searching for the right syntax to do it, since these coders, who are native english speakers, had fun with making the syntax you need to use extra hard and give you zero help in finding it, so someone who isnt good at languages and is not a native english speaker is basically unable to progress, ever - you dont really want to repeat that experience.

I really hate those coders by the way. I was so shocked when I first played Baldur's Gate and had no issue to solve the first quest given in under five minutes, easy. I was really expecting another gruesome painful endeavor like in MUDs instead.

AlBQuirky