Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Novaquark Expands to Montreal & Hires Former Eidos-Montreal Studio Lead - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNovaquark Expands to Montreal & Hires Former Eidos-Montreal Studio Lead - MMORPG.com

Novaquark, the team behind the ambitious MMO Dual Universe, has announced that it is expanding its operations to Canada. The new office will be located in Montreal, will employ over 50 developers and will be led by former Eidos-Montreal studio lead Stéphane D'Astous. As a result of the new studio, production of Dual Universe will be expanded greatly ahead of its planned launch in 2020..

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    Always good to see a SF MMO on the event horizon as there are so few that are not fantasy, fantasy or fantasy. :)
    [Deleted User]Agent_JosephMendelSabracTacticalZombeh
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This bunch is one of the few -- heck, maybe even the only -- Kickstarter game that is both sticking to its budget AND its development road map. I'm wishing them all the very best. :)
    mcd6993itchmonKyleranMendelMadFrenchieSabracTacticalZombeh

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Novaquark ? Funny name. At least for germans, because the german "Quark" actually means curd. And when you say something like "Das ist Quark." (this is quark) you are either talking about real curd or about something that is actually nonsense/bullshit. ;)
    itchmon
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Looks like if you took Empyrion and added the voxel capability of EQ Landmark.
    krulerTacticalZombeh
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    When the new Montreal vacancies are filled, NovaQuark will be close to 100 staff in their 2 dev locations (Paris and Montreal).

Dual Universe will soon be viewed as more than just "another little indie team with big dreams"... ;)

Kyleran
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

When the new Montreal vacancies are filled, NovaQuark will be close to 100 staff in their 2 dev locations (Paris and Montreal).

Dual Universe will soon be viewed as more than just "another little indie team with big dreams"... ;)

no one will see then more then a little indie till they pull wow numbers, so jsut hope they stick to the road map and launch a good game, anything more then that is results
    Kyleran
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.

no one will see then more then a little indie till they pull wow numbers, so jsut hope they stick to the road map and launch a good game, anything more then that is results

The only way any MMORPG will see "WoW numbers" is if it becomes a big hit in China, lol

The "golden age" of MMORPG's in the western market is now part of the history books...
    KyleranMendelMadFrenchieSabracTacticalZombeh
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

sschrupp said:

Looks like if you took Empyrion and added the voxel capability of EQ Landmark.

Was thinking along those lines, I am keeping a close eye on this, however I'm done doing early backing as my last few picks have not failed but are so slow, wish I had backed this one now in hindsight.

Empyrion I backed from the start that's plodding along, Planet Nomads yeah, wish I hadn't bothered with that one they appear to be stuck in an infinite loop of "I Dunno" they sound like my kids, oh and talking of my kids, I backed SC so my kids can inherit and play that game one day.
    Kyleransschrupp[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited February 2019
    I'm liking how this title is shaping up, looks like one I would enjoy.

Hmm, I'm thinking of testing CSE's refund policy and putting the funds in this effort instead.

Might be time to send Mark a strong message.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    I'm liking how this title is shaping up, looks like one I would enjoy.

Hmm, I'm thinking of testing CSE's refund policy and putting the funds in this effort instead.

Might be time to send Mark a strong message.

;)
    Face it, you've become a sucker for sci-fi!
    Kyleran

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    The game looks pretty -- nice graphics.  I wonder if the expansion is to deal with artwork.  A universe, much less two, probably needs more art than they planned, just to keep things from looking the same.  But, Novaquark appears to be trying to step up to that challenge.

Depending on how this plays out, it will probably replace No Man's Sky as my SF fix when it releases.  I'm hoping for an open-ended MMORPG rather than another single-person shooter with a SF themed story.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

The only way any MMORPG will see "WoW numbers" is if it becomes a big hit in China, lol

The "golden age" of MMORPG's in the western market is now part of the history books...
    you say it like it even made that far
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Mendel said:
    The game looks pretty -- nice graphics.  I wonder if the expansion is to deal with artwork.  A universe, much less two, probably needs more art than they planned, just to keep things from looking the same.  But, Novaquark appears to be trying to step up to that challenge.

Depending on how this plays out, it will probably replace No Man's Sky as my SF fix when it releases.  I'm hoping for an open-ended MMORPG rather than another single-person shooter with a SF themed story.

Dual Universe will generally play like EVE, but without any NPC content. Everything will be built by players, all the way from bathroom fittings to interstellar jumpgates.

NQ only provide the planetary terrain and solar systems, players will build the structures.

I think NQ are capitalising on the recent downsizing of some big-name projects in Montreal. Artists will be needed, but there's a lot of heavy lifting to be done as well, because DU's systems are complex and lean more toward simulation than arcade...
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Anthur said:
    Novaquark ? Funny name. At least for germans, because the german "Quark" actually means curd. And when you say something like "Das ist Quark." (this is quark) you are either talking about real curd or about something that is actually nonsense/bullshit. ;)
    A quark is a type of elementary particle and a fundamental constituent of matter. 

I think that is why they used that word.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    Yes looking at the videos it doesn't look like much variation in Graphics, but the whole idea is exiting and lets hope they succeed.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Novaquark got funding from investors next to the kickstarter. I guess they got some more funding so they can open a new studio.
    Dual Universe is an open-world sandbox MMO where its about crafting and building stuff, like in Empyrion or Space Engineers. A "do-it-Yourself"-Star Citizen so to speak.

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.