Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HEAT

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
A western themed mmo/survival game releasing to EA today. Maybe something to fill the pc western hole til RDR2 hits pc.
https://www.playheat.net/game-info

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I could never support a game like this. It is historically accurate to the point of disgusting. Made me tear up thinking about how the Indians were ravaged by European disease and later by the gun. EA have really no shame at this point with this title.
    Interesting.  Do you also tear up when you think about the Mongol invasions that killed around 10% of the worlds population on the earth at that time?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1350272/Genghis-Khan-killed-people-forests-grew-carbon-levels-dropped.html

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/genghis-khan-environment-26052014/

I mean, for instance, if it was a game where you could play as part of the Mongolian horde, or one of the inhabitants of the cities that they sacked, murdered all the men, raped all the women and then burned to the ground, would that be as distressing?

Just wondering whether all violence disturbs you equally or only violence perpetrated by people with a specific melanin count.
    PhryZoeMcCloskeyphoenixfire2[Deleted User]MaurgrimAmathe[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    H0urg1ass said:
    I could never support a game like this. It is historically accurate to the point of disgusting. Made me tear up thinking about how the Indians were ravaged by European disease and later by the gun. EA have really no shame at this point with this title.
    Interesting.  Do you also tear up when you think about the Mongol invasions that killed around 10% of the worlds population on the earth at that time?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1350272/Genghis-Khan-killed-people-forests-grew-carbon-levels-dropped.html

https://www.zmescience.com/ecology/genghis-khan-environment-26052014/

I mean, for instance, if it was a game where you could play as part of the Mongolian horde, or one of the inhabitants of the cities that they sacked, murdered all the men, raped all the women and then burned to the ground, would that be as distressing?

Just wondering whether all violence disturbs you equally or only violence perpetrated by people with a specific melanin count.
    WW1&2 games also contain a surprising amount of violence, the Napoleonic 'era' is also a fairly large source of material, in fact its hard to find a century where something bad wasn't being done by one country to another, or within various countries for that matter as the number of countries that have indulged in civil war is not small  ;)

The trouble is that when it comes to realistic re-enactments of various historical periods, it can be pretty disturbing, whether its better to face it head on or avoid it altogether is a personal matter that some find easier to deal with than others, though i think its likely that the more distant in time the events were, the easier it probably is to deal with them, Genghis Khan is a historical figure that is probably less emotionally impacting than say, Adolf Hitler and yet Genghis Khan was likely far more barbaric.
    Incongruously the slavery of 150 years ago is more a bone of contention than present day slavery in areas such as the war torn Ebola plagued Congo.
    I think its fair to say that when it comes to 'atrocities' the amount of melanin present is pretty much irrelevant.
    As for RDR2, i haven't played it myself yet, but as long as players can't sell indian scalps for profit then fine, its a dodgy subject for many but so far the only 'questionable' activities i've heard about it are the rather hillarious feeding sufragettes to crocodiles youtube video's :/
    ZoeMcCloskeytweedledumb99
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Whoever is interested this releases on the 30th of January.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    The classic period Mongols tended to decimate the first city that resisted them at the beginning of a particular advance/raid.  They left enough survivors to spread the story.   The best case scenario for a town or city was to send out an emissary with a white flag equivalent to surrender immediately and ask what the Mongols needed.   Mongols would also destroy any city that resisted too well.  At least the one's they could conquer.  They didn't like the idea of leaving successful stories of those as victories.

The first meeting between the Venetians and a Mongol raid in force was a fine example.  A savvy Venetian factor from along the Black Sea met with the Mongol vanguard and eventually cut a deal to act as information gatherers for the Mongols, as well as getting a sweet trade deal.  To show their commitment, the Mongols  went and devastated the nearest Venetian competitor, a Genoan trade outpost.  Hence, eventually, Marco Polo's journeys.

Unfortunately for the feudal Europeans, Mongol culture viewed every male as a warrior, so they tended to wipe out all the older males of any area that they weren't planning on immediately occupying.  Despite many of these being peasants with little inclination or training in combat.   

If an individual had a skill or talent that the Mongols needed or appreciated, they'd sweep you up in their train, to support their movements and plans.  After many of the Mongol raids into Europe, thousands of Europeans ended up in the Mongol capitol to continue plying their trade never to return.

Like many things, there was a lot of nuance going on that is easy to overlook.   I suspect that HEAT may lack a bit of nuance as well.   But we'll find out in a couple of days.
    Phaserlight

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    The flying horse at 5:11 was particularly realistic. As was the buffalo mount at 4:28. Clearly this game was intended as an historic documentary. 
    AsheramMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• davmar88davmar88 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Did someone play this game? It pays to buy? Because I found for €13 here and I'm wondering.
    edited February 2019
    Its buy to play yes and I tried it didnt run to bad on my potato but needs some cooking. Big map but only 32 player lobbies, so I got a steam refund and going to wait a bit.
    If I was you I would buy it on steam first and if its something you know you want to keep before the 2hour window is up get steam refund and buy from your sale spot (though if you like the game that doesn't help the developer as much).

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Maybe the Indians will win this time.  I hope.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Tokken said:
    Maybe the Indians will win this time.  I hope.
    Almost 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Calm down Nancy. It's only a video game.
    Asheram