Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Golden Age PvP

2»

Comments

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member UncommonPosts: 153
    Is "PvP" becoming a generic term, like Kleenex for tissue or Google for an internet search, for any game that has players fighting other players?  I've always contributed PvP (and RvR) to MMO's that have player vs player.  Other games that pit players against each other, such as MOBAs or FPSs, it was just implied.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member RarePosts: 2,364
    iixviiiix said:
    golden age of pvp was around 2k year with some MMOrpg who place a lot on pvp for a end, be it to keep forts or to get rewards, in the end people organized to a end.

nowadays? looks more like small tribes trying to scrape by what is left from the golden ages, you just pop in try to play then move on

op looks like is 18 mYo or something, not old enough to know what he is missing, with is kinda nice for him, he can get happy with the lazy games today

iixviiiix said:
    Phry said:
    Golden Age? more just lazy development, its easier, less time consuming and consequently cheaper to make a PVP game than a PVE one, not only that PVP games tend to be shorter lived than PVE ones, hence the higher degree of churn, remember h1z1, then there was PUBG, then Fortnite, and now Apex, PVP games might be easier to make, but they sure do have a limited shelf life. :p
    Say that to dota and LOL , they last for 10 years ready . And you still see people playing CS nowadays . They all PVP focus game .

In fact , PVE focus game is the one that have limited shelf life , because you can't put contents out as fast as people beating it .
    that is actually a problem, only moba who is still alive is LOL and Dota all the others come and goes
    That's because idk about that genre and those 2 are one who still in top condition , you sure there aren't any gem that hidden around ? for example OW is PVP , TF2 is PVP . most FPS games are PVP , RTS game too . Card games also PVP .
    I just disagree with him that he said PVP focus game have limited shelf life

most of his examples was from battle royal, there is a reason why these games are marked as BR and not pvp, or overwatch as a moba and not pvp, if you mark something as only pvp its goes to a hell a  lot of places and that is something it is done not a genre per see, saying pvp is this is the same as saying quests is that and we know even mobas have some quests now, or daily tasks, that is actually a limiting factor then helping on example, and since most here are thinking on BR as the only pvp who people think
    iixviiiix
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,426
    PvP in MMOs is still pretty horrible, but it pretty much dominates the market in other genres.  I'm not sure this will change anytime soon.  People who play PVP tend to want fair matchups, and MMOs rarely offer themselves as fair fights.

It is interesting that even many PVP games have added many PVE progression elements, in some cases even NPC enemies, etc.
    Many of the most popular games have features like these:  FPS, MOBAs, etc.
    People clearly like the typical systems that thrived in PVE, but not the types of games they were built around.

If someone could manage to find the perfect mix, I imagine they'd an incredible hit on their hands.  Currently, I suppose the closest thing is survival/BR games, and that's why they are so popular.
  • PalebanePalebane Member UncommonPosts: 3,535
    edited February 11
    Haven’t really enjoyed pvp in any game since Team Fortress 2, and Quake 2 before that, outside of sports games and Mortal Combat.

Oh I lied, I played WoW pvp before battlegrounds, and shortly after, which was pretty fun at the time. I feel like thats a bad example though as I’ve heard EvE and DAoC had really good pvp in their heyday.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 12,274
    Quick session casual PvP has always been much more popular than MMORPGs ever since Doom and Quake. If that's your thing then fill your boots.

But don't confuse what the casual mob likes with RPG worlds, whether they have PvP or not.
    laseritWargfootYashaX
    “Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Remember Fury? or Unleash the Fury whatever it was called. Whole game that was just MMORPG style PVP
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,060
    Shit I've been PvPn since

I thought the golden age was 25 years ago ;)

iixviiiixYashaX

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 2,615
    While it does feel like a PvP Era, with almost every game out there having some kind of PvP element, and this has no doubt been brought about by the rise of E-Sports and live feeds like Twitch, where the repetitive drone of PvE simply does not hold any ground, outside people looking for guides on how to solve a puzzle or a walk through on how to beat a dungeon boss.

So there is defently a Rise in the PvP world, with many games spouting numbers that make WoW look like a joke, with Fortnight and LoL  pumping 100 million active accounts.

With that said, a lot of the available PvP is not very good, much in the same way a lot of the available MMO's are not really that good either.

Not only that, a huge amount of what PvP is out there, is riddled with cheaters, which really devalues the whole experience.

But even with all that, I would totally agree that we are in a Golden era of PvP, right now.
    bcbully
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member RarePosts: 976
    edited February 12
    On mmorpg.com talking up the rise of pvp games when... they’re not mmos. Pvp games will never die out and neither will pve, but you can talk your trash when the mmorpg genre successfully makes the switch. 
    Post edited by ChildoftheShadows on
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member UncommonPosts: 203
    My favorite pvp will be battleground style in MMORPGs.  2nd would be open world. I never thought of BR's, FPS, RTS to be pvp games, even though yes the term pvp does apply to them.