Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apex Legends Keeps Growing & Growing - 25M Players Strong & New Updates Coming This Week - MMORPG.co

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageApex Legends Keeps Growing & Growing - 25M Players Strong & New Updates Coming This Week - MMORPG.com

Apex Legends is only a week old, though you wouldn't know it considering it has scored 25,000,000 unique player accounts and over 2,000,000 players have been online concurrently, both numbers setting new records. Respawn's Vince Zampella has taken to the games site to let players know of the company's gratitude and to introduce some new updates happening this week including the Twitch Rivals Apex Legends Challenge, a Valentine's Day-themed loot and next month's Season 1 & Battle Pass.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Is this game still published by EA? If so, I won't ever touch it. Don't care if it's free or if every last person on earth is playing it.
    [Deleted User]ValentinaThaharPhilgrantCelciusHatefullNightfrostxxNarmorinfomatzGrendizer73and 8 others.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    too bad cuz its fun af
    ValentinaThaharmikeb0817Celciusmarcio519HatefullGentrifried_ChickenNarmorjgDuffayViterzgirand 5 others.
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    Its a cool game i just don't care for BR type games so pass for me.
    Harikendragonlee66infomatz[Deleted User]Agent_Joseph
  • jelliuzjelliuz Member UncommonPosts: 97

crankked said:

Is this game still published by EA? If so, I won't ever touch it. Don't care if it's free or if every last person on earth is playing it.

Too bad, EA is just the publisher, this is everything a BR should be and much more. Its the most polished and fluid fps in a while and its made by an amazing dev team. (and its free forever, and you can't pay to be better)
    ValentinaThaharmikeb0817Celciusmarcio519HatefullNarmorAragonijgDuffayViterzgirand 3 others.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    be interesting to see how long these millions of people last in the game....
    MikehaIlayadragonlee66HarikenGentrifried_ChickeninfomatzViterzgirqomaPalebane

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138
    After PUBG and Fortnite took dominance over the BR genre and seeing so many BR's pop out from everywhere just to die weeks (sometimes months) later, i gotta admit i didn't thought anyone could have a realistic chance to take the BR crown (again) but seems Respawn managed to pull it off, good for them.

I guess life is full of suprises.
    [Deleted User]CelciusNarmorSignexTacticalZombeh
  • PhilgrantPhilgrant Member UncommonPosts: 11

crankked said:

Sounds like a dumbass move to me but oook
    tweedledumb99HatefullNarmorViterzgirSignexAgent_Joseph
  • PhilgrantPhilgrant Member UncommonPosts: 11

Sabrac said:

After PUBG and Fortnite took dominance over the BR genre and seeing so many BR's pop out from everywhere just to die weeks (sometimes months) later, i gotta admit i didn't thought anyone could have a realistic chance to take the BR crown (again) but seems Respawn managed to pull it off, good for them.

*You didnt THINK* not thought. thats really bad english bruh
    tweedledumb99CelciusHatefullWaanjungmts
  • KitsunamiKitsunami Member UncommonPosts: 101
    I don't understand. The gunplay is fun, but it's just another subpar battle royal game. Worse, no titans or pilots you play as simple soldiers. So I don't get how it became so popular but I do hope this means titanfall 3.
    HarikenNarmorinfomatzJeroKaneViterzgirJemAs666
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2019
    DMKano said:
    jelliuz said:

crankked said:

Too bad, EA is just the publisher, this is everything a BR should be and much more. Its the most polished and fluid fps in a while and its made by an amazing dev team. (and its free forever, and you can't pay to be better)

As a publisher EA hosts the game, runs the cash shop and does all the marketing.

EA paid all the top streamers to pretty much exclusively play Apex Legends for the first 3 days - since they completely skipped all formal advertisements. 

It seems to have paid off well - as streamers are continuing to play the game on their own now without EA payments 

On a side note Fortnite is 200million strong so they have ways to go (but that is across all platforms)
    EA also own Respawn Entertaiment. Guess that - technically - makes them the developer as well.
  • SabracSabrac Member UncommonPosts: 138

Philgrant said:

Sabrac said:

*You didnt THINK* not thought. thats really bad english bruh

My bad, thanks for the correction.
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    jelliuz said:

crankked said:

Nothing good is free, period.  You just don't realize what short term free is costing us, the industry and the future of our hobby.  However kids born into the free to play world don't realize what real choice is, its like being born into slavery, it just seems normal.
    DvoraWhiteLanternNarmor[Deleted User]donpadrexReaperman69ThaharNasaPalebane
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Now I have a hope that after watching sudden success of Apex other companies will decide to create the same game but with third-person view (and without the stupid building).

I just cannot get into FPS a.k.a. flying camera simulator genre.
    Dvora

Thank you for your time!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

gervaise1 said:

DMKano said:

jelliuz said:

crankked said:

As a publisher EA hosts the game, runs the cash shop and does all the marketing.

EA paid all the top streamers to pretty much exclusively play Apex Legends for the first 3 days - since they completely skipped all formal advertisements. 

It seems to have paid off well - as streamers are continuing to play the game on their own now without EA payments 

On a side note Fortnite is 200million strong so they have ways to go (but that is across all platforms)

EA also own Respawn Entertaiment. Guess that - technically - makes them the developer as well.

Hmmm... no.

The owner of a restaurant owns the kitchen too but you wouldn't say they were the chef. Or the owner of a Hotel isn't one of the cleaners just because he's the cleaner's boss.

That's not how things work.
    HatefullNarmorTacticalZombehGdemami
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

3dom said:

Now I have a hope that after watching sudden success of Apex other companies will decide to create the same game but with third-person view (and without the stupid building).

ya i like my BR to have a 3rd person option too. I also hope they can put in Titans at some point.
    Hatefull
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    edited February 2019
    3dom said:

All shooters should be FPS, and all REAL ones are.  3rd person shooters are for metro guys that like to look at themselves in the mirror and think they look pretty  :D

That said, this is a BR game, you can have it, your 3rd person vanity and cheater peek around corners tactics it enables.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'm not surprised. It's a good looking well-made game with something different than the rest. And free. I feel another decent entry into the BR arena is overdue actually. I expect more until none of them are significant because everyone will be playing the one that suits them best. 

I am surprised they decided to copy the number 2 BR more than the number 1.  For an EA game the cash shop seems poorly thought out too. Maybe they are playing it cautious. 
    CelciusNarmor
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2019

gervaise1 said:

DMKano said:

jelliuz said:

crankked said:

Hmmm... no.

The owner of a restaurant owns the kitchen too but you wouldn't say they were the chef. Or the owner of a Hotel isn't one of the cleaners just because he's the cleaner's boss.

That's not how things work.
    In the context of the comment I replied to: "To bad EA are just the publisher" - it is 100% how it works. EA - who paid for the development - will also reap all the rewards.

Pretty sure Respawn had free reign though; its what other studios have said.

As to your analogy though I could discuss organisational structures and how business units, divisions and profit centres etc.  work but it varies, it can be complex and it would take far to long.

Per your analogy though if the kitchen wants caviar and the restaurant make do with fish sticks ... the kitchen makes do with fish sticks; if the restaurant says tell us what you need to make the greatest creation ever and you'll get it - they might do a pretty good job; and if the restaurant says times are tough we are going to get piazza from across the road - the kitchen gets closed. That is the reality. 
    [Deleted User]
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited February 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    DMKano said:
    jelliuz said:

crankked said:

That....isn't how it works. Never mind on funding, looked into it, EA did fund the game. It still doesn't mean they made it though. That would be like saying an art piece was made by the art dealer because the art dealer got paid for helping sell the artist's art. 
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Dvora said:
    3dom said:

All shooters should be FPS, and all REAL ones are.  3rd person shooters are for metro guys that like to look at themselves in the mirror and think they look pretty  :D

That said, this is a BR game, you can have it, your 3rd person vanity and cheater peek around corners tactics it enables.
    Have you ever considered that some of us have trouble playing in 1st person? As in motion sickness? We don't all want 3rd person for the vanity aspect.
    CelciusHatefullAldersBlueThunderBear
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited February 2019

Kitsunami said:

I don't understand. The gunplay is fun, but it's just another subpar battle royal game. Worse, no titans or pilots you play as simple soldiers. So I don't get how it became so popular but I do hope this means titanfall 3.

What exactly makes it subpar? I mean, 25 million accounts with 2 million concurrent players isn't exactly a recipe for fail. I don't understand how it's sub par with such a strong start.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well, when the skillet is hot, you always want to cook what you can. Unfortunately, overcrowding lowers the temperature and creates something no one wants to eat. We'll see how this does in a month's time.
    Palebane
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019
    Hatefull said:

Kitsunami said:

What exactly makes it subpar? I mean, 25 million accounts with 2 million concurrent players isn't exactly a recipe for fail. I don't understand how it's sub par with such a strong start.
    Well, technically speaking, being F2P means it could be a fail with 25 million concurrent players- because players playing doesn't necessarily mean EA or Respawn have received a dime in revenue.

However, realistically speaking, the more folks playing, the higher the potential for mtx revenue.

• Grendizer73Grendizer73 Member UncommonPosts: 71

crankked said:

I don't think that even one of the 25m players will care about it :)
    PhryThaharHatefull
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Looks like this is the next flavor of the year.
    Phry