Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division 2 Impressions – Divided Gameplay - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Division 2 Impressions – Divided Gameplay - MMORPG.com

From my initial gameplay impressions, through my interview with Keith Evans, and on to the end of the private beta test, I’ve had the opportunity to play The Division 2 more than most. After sufficient time in the very early game and more rounds in the Black Tusks invaded mission than anyone would realistically want to play, especially knowing that they wouldn’t keep any of the loot on launch, there’s no doubt that The Division 2 has improved over The Division 1, but is it enough to justify a purchase for players that are on the fence?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited February 2019
    Don't forget grenades and explosive RC car bombs spam. Muzzle mods which reduce weapon's stability. Although these can be balanced - that's exactly what beta tests were originally designed for.

But degraded animations and unattractive characters will stay in he game forever - because these take a lot of resources yet the devs most likely will start working on third iteration of the game almost immediately after release. Here is the gallery with the "beautiful" female avatars:

https://imgur.com/a/XNzVZXL

The rumor is - they've outsourced female avatars to Mass Effect Andromeda team.
    JeroKaneGazoleoPsym0nSamhaelRolanStormGdemamiinfomatz

Thank you for your time!

• Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    edited February 2019
    I found the game to be slower, clunkier, and less refined but that could be attributed to the beta. There is no feeling of impact from your feet hitting the ground it's like you're just hovering above the ground with your character. The guns felt a lot better though.

I wouldn't say that the game is bad but I came out feeling that it was just ok, it feels more like an expansion than a full game. Maybe it has something to do with Anthem and how much fun I had playing that or the setting of the first one but I didn't get the same feeling i got when i played the first one. I'll give the open beta another try and see.
    LastlaughlolSignex
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

3dom said:

Don't forget grenades and explosive RC car bombs spam. Muzzle mods which reduce weapon's stability. Although these can be balanced - that's exactly what beta tests were originally designed for.

But degraded animations and unattractive characters will stay in he game forever - because these take a lot of resources yet the devs most likely will start working on third iteration of the game almost immediately after release. Here is the gallery with the "beautiful" female avatars:

mine looked good. if you actually took the time to press that randomize button a few times, you clearly could see chars CAN look good, but for some reason most of the "randomized visuals" tend not to.

no idea why they used this randomized appearance, didn't like it either.

uh and for the record, who do you think would survive an apocalypse like that, models or fighters? (point taken?)
    boris20Octagon7711NyteWytchinfomatz[Deleted User]neonblastSignex

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Bought it, of course.First one was heavilly bombarded with negative posts, turned out to become a really good team shooter. Counting on the same thins time around. Actually, the biggest gripe I have, is the console UI that is awful on a PC. Menus and buttons are not smooth in any way shape or form.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    I keep seeing people complain about the bullet sponge, but if this is indeed and RPG first with shooting elements then I dont see the problem. In a RPG most enemies will not go down in a single hit unless high enough levels, but it just seems people think of this a shooter ala CoD.
    NyteWytchZenJellyinfomatzCynehildSignex
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Just like when ESO first came out and the quest bosses were a major battle, forcing me to redo my build, skills, and there rotatations. I had to do the same in end-game in D1. It ended up making me a better player when I wasn't cursing the game for killing me so much. Once I adjusted my playstyle it was all good.
    ZenJelly

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    "Within the first few moments of the normal mode mission, it’s clear that some enemies still shrug off bullets, as if you’re lobbing marbles at them with a slingshot instead of using a sniper rifle."

Well that killed my interest.
    ZenJelly
  • wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    3dom the random created players are not part of live game play you will be able to customize your toon at launch . the random was just for the beta test

moo all

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Its the same game... why the hype? Same everything. DLC
    RhygarthOyjord[Deleted User]PsYcHoGBRSignex

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited February 2019
    I find the bullet sponge issue to be significantly more noticeable when you fight mostly humans. In Anthem where you fight huge alien things with energy shields and such I didnt mind it nearly as much. Still Division 2, at least from first impressions, seems to be a superior game.

edit: ha edit is back
    moguy1
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    I did the hard missions at level 7 and at max level more than a dozen times and I found the high level ones to be much easier. Having access to your specialization weapon and grenades made things much easier. Where in the low level one yellow runner could take out your entire group , in the high level i could solo kill them so long as i saw them early enough.

Also we only had access to few of the skills. I think we are going to find CC skills like the fire turret very valuable and probably more so than the damage ones.

My favorite specialization was the sharpshooter. Mainly because of the drone skill that shows you where everyone is keeps you from being flanked. The survivalist armor fixing skill was ok too. The demolitionist air burst turret skill was complete garbage. Easy for npc to avoid and hard for you to target npcs that seem to always be moving.

The game wasn't without issues but I found that the memory leak problem was fixed by the first patch and crashing was mostly fixed by the second one. So they seem to have a solid team. I do hope they fix the audio issues. Missing game sound can be annoying but missing voice chat was down right horrible. Odd thing was it was completely random. I could hear a group mate but then one member couldn't , then my volume would go way down. I had turned my mic all the way up at one point so people could hear me then had them yelling at me 5min later cause I was so loud. May just have to turn it off and use discord once i find a clan at release.

Overall my experience was positive though and I decided to purchase the game.
    [Deleted User]maskedweaselinfomatz
  • paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Ok, So if I understand it correctly the game is in Washinton DC and not New York this time, but have they created new models for players, npc, weapons? Or are they the same? Not sure about paying full price if they've just created a new world zone and fixed bugs, but with the same cars, chairs, tabels, etc... It's like paying again for a fixed game.
    ZenJellyGdemami
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    I had a blast with friends and family. I was doubtful I was gonna enjoy it as it looked samey. The differences from the first are interesting enough that I preordered and am looking forward to it. I found the enemies to be less spongy since they had weak spots. So if you don't just spray and pray they do go down faster.

I think all the whining about the invaded mission is just silly. It is a game, not a milspec sim. We had a ton of fun with the black tusks ai. They were more aggressive and "smarter" so it was a nice challenge. My husband and I completed the invaded mission just the two of us. Although it almost prompted a divorce it was a fun accomplishment.
    maskedweaselinfomatz
  • Heatsink00Heatsink00 Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Preordered, played the high level mission in the private beta, and then got a refund. They said they wanted to take out the bullet sponge enemies, and they lied. If the high level game doesn't get fixed, along with fixing the "advanced" skills that turned out to be clunky and useless, this game is a no-buy situation.
    Gdemami
  • gamergoddess40gamergoddess40 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    i was very upset i didnt get to participate but guys come on its beta
    maskedweaselinfomatz
    goddess75
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019

momintim said:

I keep seeing people complain about the bullet sponge, but if this is indeed and RPG first with shooting elements then I dont see the problem. In a RPG most enemies will not go down in a single hit unless high enough levels, but it just seems people think of this a shooter ala CoD.

The biggest issue is their choice of timidity with the Sci-Fi. It's a Tom Clancy setting, whether RPG or not.

They don't even attempt a quasi-legitimate way to explain the sponginess. That doesn't really fit a Tom Clancy setting (neither books, shows, movies, nor other games with the tag).

They can increase difficulty many other, more interesting ways, or at least model armored military-style exoskeletons to make the sponging less jarring. That's a conversation I had with @Arterius and others in his thread, so I won't regurgitate all the detail here.

The end game left me wanting, after the early game parts of the demo had me salivating.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    They really have just pulled a Destiny here and are releasing a sequel that could have easily been an update to the original game.
    Scot
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Arterius said:

momintim said:

The biggest issue is their choice of timidity with the Sci-Fi. It's a Tom Clancy setting, whether RPG or not.

They don't even attempt a quasi-legitimate way to explain the sponginess. That doesn't really fit a Tom Clancy setting (neither books, shows, movies, nor other games with the tag).

They can increase difficulty many other, more interesting ways, or at least model armored military-style exoskeletons to make the sponging less jarring. That's a conversation I had with @Arterius and others in his thread, so I won't regurgitate all the detail here.

The end game left me wanting, after the early game parts of the demo had me salivating.
    @MadFrenchie they did say that some of the problems mentioned would be fixed in the open beta during a twitch live stream. So maybe the bullet sponge hell in the end game will be fixed by than. I too cancelled my pre-order on PC because of the end game so we shall see. IF it is fixed than I will gladly buy into it.

Saying that they didn't say what problems would be fixed so I am just hoping that is one of them.
    I don't feel like it's that there was a ton of bullet sponginess, but there was enough.  I finally got to near a full 350 gear score before I stopped playing. Granted I needed to use weapons I wasn't entirely thrilled about to get there, but one of them was over 350, and that gun did some decent damage.  I was also completely geared out with mods that I found.  

I was happy to find several mods, even some for my special skills.  Not that I noticed much of a difference because it's hard to tell minuscule upgrades when you're in the middle of a firefight. 

I think they've made things too complicated.  Gun mods would increase one thing and decrease another. Most of the time I had to decide if I wanted a damage decrease or more bullets in a gun.  Usually I chose the more bullets, which only exasperated running low on ammo. 

I'm not sure what the fix would be.  I think breaking armor is a good place to start. If they functioned around armor specifically, then upgrades to break armor would be a good idea.  At least it would mitigate the long kill times without upping health and shields. 

I'll see what happens on launch. Still interested in playing, though not sure where I want to play, PC or console. I noticed friends who were on PS4 showed up on my PC friends list and vice versa.  I wonder if cross play will really be a thing. 
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie[Deleted User]

• dijicaekdijicaek Member UncommonPosts: 7
    This franchise would've been better served as a cooperative shooter rather than a pseudo MMO. Then you could have semi realistic kill times rather than bullet sponges. It just doesn't feel right in any non fantasy setting.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited February 2019
    "To put it succinctly, kill times have decreased"

So that's not made a relatively easymode game even more easymode?
    Post edited by Scot on
  • neonblastneonblast Member UncommonPosts: 16

Thane said:

3dom said:

mine looked good. if you actually took the time to press that randomize button a few times, you clearly could see chars CAN look good, but for some reason most of the "randomized visuals" tend not to.

uh and for the record, who do you think would survive an apocalypse like that, models or fighters? (point taken?)

WTF, stop using hypothetical fantasy arguments ( who do you think would survive an apocalypse like that, models or fighters? ) to make excuses for real life bad game design.
    Second, you are assuming that good looking humans are dumb and have poor surviving skills, while ugly ppl are smart and have awesome survival skills. And that's another bs.

Original OP is right. The most characters models are glitched and look like mentally challenged ppl, not like some NSA or whatever agents.
    GdemamiSignex
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Arterius said:
    Limnic said:
    "Within the first few moments of the normal mode mission, it’s clear that some enemies still shrug off bullets, as if you’re lobbing marbles at them with a slingshot instead of using a sniper rifle."

Well that killed my interest.
    Honestly its not that bad in normal mode. In the thread I created one of the people who posted actually counted the bullets it took to kill an enemy.  The only really truly bullet sponges are gold enemies but they are covered head and foot in armor that you have to shoot off. It gets really bad in the end game though. Like so much so that we all agreed that if it stays like that they are going to be in trouble.

Its night and day from enemies and how much damage they take. It takes almost ten to fifteen minutes to clear a room of enemies in end game. Only three minutes in the normal mode.  
    Great, so if I play it a little bit and never complete anything, it can be somewhat reasonable.

That does not sound like an optimal scenario. Not really sure why anyone thinks reasonable firearm mechanics in an RPG can't work. It pushes incentive for better AI to act as a more challenging counterpart, and can be offset by the inclusion of skill and gear unlocks.

I still hold the original Planetside in high regards for this given it's certification system. The character progression fed the movement from a generic soldier to a specialized unit, that's something the likes of the Division could capitalize on well while letting the weapons behave in a more balanced and impactful manner.
    GdemamiMadFrenchie
  • NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287
    The first full on, gold armour wearing, mini-gun weilding boss yo uencounter is indeed a bullet sponge...Unless you listen to the NPC's instructions and shoot the guy's ammo bag. Then he was much easier to kill.

I also watched a streamer simply headshot the same guy 2 or 3 times to remove the helmet then 2 or 3 shot to kill him.

So it seems weakspots are the way to go on bosses.
    Gdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019

Thane said:

3dom said:

WTF, stop using hypothetical fantasy arguments ( who do you think would survive an apocalypse like that, models or fighters? ) to make excuses for real life bad game design.
    Second, you are assuming that good looking humans are dumb and have poor surviving skills, while ugly ppl are smart and have awesome survival skills. And that's another bs.

Original OP is right. The most characters models are glitched and look like mentally challenged ppl, not like some NSA or whatever agents.
    If the facial features have merely an adequately wide range of customization, randomizing those features will usually end in awkward looking characters.

The idea that you should base the final character appearance possibilities from blind randomization seems disingenuous.  If there are merely size sliders for most facial features, it's easy to make stupid looking characters, specifically when you're forced to randomize those sliders.  If players can't put together features that look aesthetically pleasing, then I agree it's a real issue.
    Gdemami

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다