Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You have $250 million dollars that you have to spend on making movies/shows from games

Comments

• RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162
    H0urg1ass said:
    I would remake Babylon 5... I'm sure there's a B5 game out there.
    I'd pay WB to remake the effects shots, no need to remake the whole show imo, just give it the same treatment as Star Trek: TOS and NG.

If I had the money, I'd probably make Wing Commander tv-series but only if I'd get Ronald D. Moore to be the showrunner. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So someone gives you $250 million dollars to spend on making movies or TV shows, which games do you port over?

- I'd do 150 million movie, 2 hours long, on Skyrim. 
    - I'd do 10 episodes (1 hour) of a show on Path of Exile - 2.5 mil per episode
    - I'd do 10 episodes (1 hour) of a show on EVE - 2.5 mil per episode
    - I'd do 10 episodes (30 minute) on youtube of Mike Tyson's Punchout - 0.2 million per episode
    - I'd do 10 episodes (1 hour) of a show Neverwinter  - 4.8 mil per episode

That's my list. Hopefully, i'll be profitable so I can keep doing more other stuff or keep continuing the TV shows. The Skyrim would hope to be a trilogy. Which ones would you like to see the most?

Cryomatrix

What ? !!!!!!!
    When Delete is not sure what a thread is about, you know you are in trouble. :)
    XarkoPalebane
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    One of the problems of film and TV treatments for a fan is that you end up thinking they don't live up to the book/game.

So I would choose stuff I was not that big a fan of, how about a documentary looking at everything from Bless and FO76 to SC and AoC, the loot box sage and this Early Access nonsense? Cheap as chips and gaming docs can do well.
  • wreatchwreatch Member UncommonPosts: 54
    After changing the world and allowing folks running on treadmills/powering those pelatons to generate electricity rather than using it and retiring...

I would then simply remake UO, yes that Ultima Online, based on design docs discussed in part here https://www.raphkoster.com/2012/03/15/the-best-articles/ yes UO,in Glorious high res crystal clear 4k, 3D, with modern server tech so as to allow the original vision Raph and crew had back then to finally come to light changing the course of gaming forever, once again, back on the path of simulating living breathing persistent worlds, and away from carrot and stick leveling treadmills or more recently cash cow, cosmetic item cash shop cash grab and clones

Do not go into the light

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I'd use that money to make Star Wars great again.
    SteelhelmZoeMcCloskey
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    So someone gives you $250 million dollars to spend on making movies or TV shows, which games do you port over?

- I'd do 150 million movie, 2 hours long, on Skyrim. 
    - I'd do 10 episodes (1 hour) of a show on Path of Exile - 2.5 mil per episode
    - I'd do 10 episodes (1 hour) of a show on EVE - 2.5 mil per episode
    - I'd do 10 episodes (30 minute) on youtube of Mike Tyson's Punchout - 0.2 million per episode
    - I'd do 10 episodes (1 hour) of a show Neverwinter  - 4.8 mil per episode

That's my list. Hopefully, i'll be profitable so I can keep doing more other stuff or keep continuing the TV shows. The Skyrim would hope to be a trilogy. Which ones would you like to see the most?

Cryomatrix

LOLZ

I would do Red dead redemption 2 - movie 20 hrs long...oh, wait - It already exist!
    You just need $550  :P

Kids these days like to watch glamour BS. "Independent" girls running around on high heels in jungle/medieval/postapocalypse times in perfect white dress or tight pants, like its just from boutique. And ofcourse they smarter and stronger than any men they face. And 90% made in 3d and all action scenes made by stuntmen. So all what those $$$ famous actors need to do is show their faces.

SIGH

Its so easy to do movie...thats what they do with games these days - thats why they all suck.

Look at this (I dont like DS, but if this would be movie/animation it would look cool)

Somehow they managed to make DS 3 intro worse...   :/

And D3 cutscenes...mmmm  so awesome.

P.S.  I would do my own story...
    But most likely nobody would watch it...
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Something with a Zachtronic game.   The story is there in all of their games.

Something with EVE player stories, maybe.

Maybe something with The Saga of Ryzom.    Mostly because it's a neat world and you could pull some epic cinematography off with it's concept of an "Overgrown Plant World".

A drama of some sort with the LoL world could be pretty neat.  

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    If I had that budget and Disney actually let me make it, i would launch a true successor to Star Wars Galaxies set in the period between Episodes 6 and 7. 

No locked in character classes, space combat at launch, player run economies and cities, huge sandbox planets, multiple Factions, little to no instancing, and a deep crafting system.
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 72
    edited February 2019
    I can't help but think of a game I've seen advertised on Steam called "Shower with your daddy".

Maybe it would be worth porting over to a movie starring Jerry Sandusky?

(Such a creative design concept from yet another creative game developer)
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well if no one mention it, I would do a mini-series of "The Wheel of Time".
    MadFrenchie
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    a 20 minute documentary on Star Citizen which costs a quarter of a billion dollars. . .and will never release.
    Cryomatrix
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I'd make a long series of Fallout. One movie wouldn't be enough to cover the whole story behind the nuclear holocaust and the life after the opening of vaults.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I would port over a show based on Secret World.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Amathe said:
    Thats already in the works .. Johnny Depps Studio is contracted to make a series for FCMKF
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Leisure Suit Larry .. 
    steps into a spacetime portal and finds himself in an alternative futuristic world full of absurdities (like alternative laws of physics), failing to apply basic Larry stupidity-logic but always just managing to survive... 
    - the series

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Scorchien said:
    Amathe said:
    Thats already in the works .. Johnny Depps Studio is contracted to make a series for FCMKF
    Cool. I just saved $250 million. 
    Scorchien

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• febbynandafebbynanda Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I think i'll spend the $150 million for a Kirby Movie so it will be awesome and next $100 million for sbobet online tournament, it will be fun i think (?)  :D
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I would make Killer7 into a zeven episode mini series Twin Peaks style.

I would also make a Beyond Good and Evil movie a la The Dark Crystal.

I would actually LOVE both.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited February 2019
    aummoid said:
    I don't waste my $250 million making a movie based on a video game.
    Well ... pretty much this.

Making a $250 million movie, well movies like Titanic have proven that can work, but you need a Cameron to do it and you certainly need a very solid everything as basis, great script, great actors with lots of star power, great effects etc. It needs to be someting that speaks to everybody. Computer games fall into different genres and thus its not so easy to make something that speaks to everybody.

For example, why did I personally back then watch Titanic ? Because they had the prettiest loverpair I've seen in any movie. Now thats starpower.

Maybe I'd risk a Witcher movie. Again there would be many things required for this to work. Not sure about the budget, probably something like 10 million. It would be based on the books, though, not the games. Geralt wont be a womanizer, but in love with Yennefer, and they would look after their adopted daughter Ciri.

I might also be willing to spent on a Conan movie, even if the last Conan game was quite a while ago now (Age of Conan). Again I'd need to see a great script first. Something that covers the special magic of the original stories, by Robert E. Howard himself. Not the kind of garbage that all kinds of other people have done based on this ever since.

Theres no way I would ever invest into a The Elder Scrolls movie. Thats a huge world, but no clear protagonist, and only a ton of third class writing about it. Talk about arbitrariness galore, you'd have to invent everything yourself. Noooo thank you, I'm good.

Fallout, maybe. While there is again no clear protagonist, its a much better story behind it. The protagonist leaves a vault and has to find their ways in the varied world of Fallout, with known factions. I can see that that could be made into a good script.

Of course in this post I'm ignoring all the problems that will arise with who has actually the rights to any of this.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    Vampire: The Masquerade. Or pretty much anything published by White Wolf. Haven’t seen a Nosferatu since Salem’s Lot, though Daybreakers came close.
    Octagon7711

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'd pitch an X-COM TV series -- aliens invade, humans react, serious acting but played for laughs.  Plenty of command decisions, semi-plausible scientific ideas, campy inventions, near impossible engineering challenges, etc.  It would be a mix of the old UFO series, Batman and Mars Attacks.  I'm sure I could sell this to the History Channel.

Remember the watchword:  Mars wants our women!

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Some of my RimWorld and Prison Architect games might have made for some good movies ;)

Palebane

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Palebane said:
    Vampire: The Masquerade. Or pretty much anything published by White Wolf. Haven’t seen a Nosferatu since Salem’s Lot, though Daybreakers came close.
    They did have a movie or short TV show based on the Vampire: The Masquerade, I think it came out in the seventies and don't recall the title off hand but I do remember enjoying it.

But still, I'd make another one. It would be awesome with current special effects.  :smiley:
    Palebane

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited February 2019
    A Fire Emblem animated series in the vein of Netflix Castlevania. Specifically, one based on Geneology of the Holy War, which is basically Game of Thrones x Fire Emblem.