Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subnautica: Below Zero – Above Average

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSubnautica: Below Zero – Above Average

Unknown Worlds Entertainment releases the next installment of their fantastically innovative Subnautica. How does Subnautica: Below Zero stack up against its predecessor? Red Thomas dives in to give readers his thoughts on the new game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Looking forward to trying both of these games out when they decide to bundle.
    Red_Thomas

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Playing Subnautica (the original) now, nearing the end and I will miss it, LUV the game, looking forward to the sequel very much - not sure when I'll jump in.
    Red_Thomas
  • blix2006blix2006 Member UncommonPosts: 415
    if you haven't played subnatica you really are missing out on one of the best games ever made.it was fantastic.this dlc doesn't bring the same magic though sadly..hope it improves
    jimmywolfRed_Thomas
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Why couldn't they have combined the two? I'm normally one for sequels in RPGs because progression reset makes sense in that context. I don't understand the reset here in a game I understood to be a sandbox styled open exploration game. I would think people would want to take their character between different oceans and "worlds".

Concerning gender and race/ethnicity. I love how Hello Games does it in No Man's Sky. There are some alien races and one "anomaly" race. That anomaly race can be configured to look human but they're always covered by a helmet. You only ever see organic/biologic features of the alien races. As a result genders are whatever you envision them to be in your mind as are skin color and other biologic features.

I'll still keep an eye on this but I was really hoping they would expand the scope of their world rather than break it up between two different games.
    I think it's because Subnautica, underneath all the sandbox exploration, actually follows a narrative strand.  They're actually building IP lore with that narrative.

I'm not saying it should've happened this way, but the new game features a new protagonist, and both aren't the kind of sandbox where you're "creating your own story." Rather, you're creating the details of a narrative protagonist's set story.
    Red_ThomasSaltyDog79Roin

• joewolf79joewolf79 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Played the first one and loved it up to the point where I needed the big submarine. At that point I was annoyed with having to use the clunky thing and so terrified that I'd wreck it and die that I took a break and didn't end up coming back. Not sure how long I'd play a second one before running into something like that, but what I experienced the first time around was more than enough content to justify my purchase. Definitely going to purchase this one, when it officially releases.
    Red_Thomas
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    > turned a lot of gamers off and their sales suffered.

I thought their sales suffered because they've delayed release for a month and it happened in the middle of sales season when everyone was distracted by 66-90% discounts. Also 98% of game developers on the planet would kill to have that kind of suffering when you sell 7 millions copies instead of 8 millions.

Thank you for your time!

• Red_ThomasRed_Thomas Member RarePosts: 666

Torval said:

Why couldn't they have combined the two? I'm normally one for sequels in RPGs because progression reset makes sense in that context. I don't understand the reset here in a game I understood to be a sandbox styled open exploration game. I would think people would want to take their character between different oceans and "worlds".

Concerning gender and race/ethnicity. I love how Hello Games does it in No Man's Sky. There are some alien races and one "anomaly" race. That anomaly race can be configured to look human but they're always covered by a helmet. You only ever see organic/biologic features of the alien races. As a result genders are whatever you envision them to be in your mind as are skin color and other biologic features.

I'll still keep an eye on this but I was really hoping they would expand the scope of their world rather than break it up between two different games.

Like, @MadFrenchie said, I think part of it is the narrative they're building. From the story side of things, I don't think there's really any way to smash them together like that. I WOULD like to see a single explorable ocean that combines both maps, though. It'd be really neat if they'd create some sort of mode that allowed owners of both games to combine the two in some sort of build-mode. Don't think they could do that with how closely exploration, story, and recipes are linked, though.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]SaltyDog79LeFantome
  • SeirothSeiroth Member UncommonPosts: 29

joewolf79 said:

Played the first one and loved it up to the point where I needed the big submarine. At that point I was annoyed with having to use the clunky thing and so terrified that I'd wreck it and die that I took a break and didn't end up coming back. Not sure how long I'd play a second one before running into something like that, but what I experienced the first time around was more than enough content to justify my purchase. Definitely going to purchase this one, when it officially releases.

The same thing happened with me. I re-started the game half a dozen times always quiting at the last leg of the journey with the big sub but finally I mustered the courage and I gotta say, it was really epic. First, for me to even craft the big sub I had to build myself a couple of sacrificial teched out seamoths just to get to the resources I needed to build the big sub. I got out of those hot, deep pressure life threatening caves with not even seconds to spare with breath but I got the resources I needed. Lost two seamoths in the journey but it made my big sub extreamly valuable to me. It was no easy task. Mostly taxed my nerves and wit more than actual resources.

Added to this I only ever played the game on the hardest perma-death setting. I got the big sub to the alien compound and every inch I got towards the complex navigating that big sub ever so painfully was pure adrenelline. I ended up at the doorstep with like a dozen holes in my sub, I went outside, patched it up, terrified because one fireball from the leviathan or an attack would have killed me but fought the fear, patched up the hull, repaired my badly leaking sub that was half full of water and in the end saved it and was able to continue my journey. The rest of it, just awesome. The final story told and getting off the planet was just amazing. So its good and bad. Its true that many times fear itself made me take a break from the game but it was so good I kept coming back. Each time I conquered my fears a bit and got further. Finally completing the game some 150 hours later was made all the sweeter because they made the game as they did.

What a game... hope they do Below Zero in the same vein. Subnautica is definitely one of my top 3 favorite games. Just as an FYI, that top 3 list consists of: Subnautica, EverQuest and Final Fantasy Tactics. I've played a LOT of games but Subnautica was more than a game to me. Was an experience. Taught me a thing or two about conquering fear. I'm terrified of the water, particularily the deep, dark places. Subnautica got me to face those fears and beating the game, due to this, felt a lot more like a real life accomplishment. What it translated to in my life was I was able to go snorkeling on my last vacation and go out into deep water, even swim with small sharks and not lose my nerve. Now I can't wait to go deeper, swim with bigger fish, maybe even someday do a night dive (the scariest thing you can do in life in my opinion).
    lahnmirRoin