Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rumor: Activision Blizzard to Lay Off Hundreds Next Week - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageRumor: Activision Blizzard to Lay Off Hundreds Next Week - MMORPG.com News

Tuesday, February 12th is the date for the next Activision Blizzard (ATVI) investor earnings call. According to Bloomberg, the company will also be announcing layoffs due to "slowing sales". The information has come through "people familiar with the matter". The move will be part of a restructuring initiative that may see hundreds of ATVI employees lose their jobs. It's "aimed at centralizing functions and boosting profit" according to the sources.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• MachkeznhoMachkeznho Member UncommonPosts: 424
    One word... Mobile
    I am enjoying Star Wars The Old Republic again so at least the blizzpocalypse that was Blizzcon 2018-Current Did something positive glad I gave the game a second chance much more fun to play and socialize in.

RIP Blizzard fanboy age 16-34
    xxxandrew
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited February 2019
    It's surprising and not surprising at the same time. All game companies are struggling and ATVI's missteps at the end of the year are indicative of this happening, long predicted by @DMKano.

The Irish customer service workers who took the year's pay and voluntarily left a few months ago are darned lucky.

I'm so sorry for those who'll lose their jobs. Let's see what Tuesday brings.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchieFolmenCazrielDr_BinkswingoodinfomatzSeelinnikoi

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I did a joke last time a director left about the last one switching the lights off, that's leaving a sour taste now.

Outside of their misdirection of WoW I don't see much else of what Activision Blizzard is doing. But it can't be going well obviously.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I have a major announcement for Activision/Blizzard:

Indeed: Mobile

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    This is so much bigger than Blizzard's turn to mobile with Diablo and unannounced projects. To blame it on a single factor is naive. 
    [Deleted User]NeonSarujgDuffay[Deleted User]FolmenThaharValentinaLeFantometweedledumb99Celciusand 6 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    When businesspeople make games bad thing happen. Who am I kidding, when businesspeople touch anything it turns to crap and people lose jobs. This is why gaming sucks in the past decade, its all the greedy bankers who discovered it.
    BluelinerdoomexPalebanePanserbjorne39TyranusPrimeThaharThupliGdemamimarcio519Shaihubyand 6 others.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Should have announced Diablo 4.
    Gdemamiceh430iamspamicusRueTheWhirlTacticalZombeh

Thank you for your time!

• peglegpegleg Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Seems like Blizzard is turning into a Sears of video games.

All MMO's have grinds. If you don't like to Grind then MMO's are not for you.

People, this is ACTIVISION Blizzard. If there are layoffs and financial failure, it's both companies, not just one. After all, losing Bungie hurt Activision as did the relative failure of Destiny 2. 
    [Deleted User]ScotBlueThunderBearrojoArcueidwingoodinfomatz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Spiider said:
    When businesspeople make games bad thing happen. Who am I kidding, when businesspeople touch anything it turns to crap and people lose jobs. This is why gaming sucks in the past decade, its all the greedy bankers who discovered it.
    I have seen this to be so true so often it's not funny.Even in my job,when my boss comes around he is so much about money and speed,he has cost himself several millions over the years.

Business people,the execs,board they only have one thing on their mind...MONEY.The top employees,the boss of each department only care about one thing...BONUSES,this is the same everywhere,even at Wallmart.

They are the ones that force games out too early.The biggest perpetrator's ,the publisher's who have all the control to just say no this looks unpolished,too early or just not good enough but they are the ones often wanting it out sooner than later and the ones demanding crap like loot boxes.

I often point at Hearthstone because it makes Blizzard a lot of money and a game i was there from testing right through to present.When it first came out,i had several concerns and like others who told me i was on the same boat,"it's a new game give it time".
    Well over the years,season after season,Blizzard didn't do a single thing to their game,they just kept selling card packs and their best effort was finding new ways to sell those card packs.

TyranusPrimeAgeni

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Its always a shame that hard working staff have to pay for poor management and planning decisions taken by the higher ups. In this case with key higher ups even leaving you have to wonder just how bad Tuesday will be.

At this point blizzard have to be crossing their fingers that Classic will bring back the subs and if not then I can see them being in real trouble. I just wonder at what point they will take WoW F2P.
    Gdemami
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Are you kidding? Classic is their last chance to turn the game...
    PalebaneGdemami
  • NyteWytchNyteWytch Member UncommonPosts: 53
    SBFord said:
    People, this is ACTIVISION Blizzard. If there are layoffs and financial failure, it's both companies, not just one. After all, losing Bungie hurt Activision as did the relative failure of Destiny 2. 
    I still call bullshit on this from Activision. Back in Sept the articles were all patting D2 on the back for top grossing on consoles and 60% of D2 owners buying the expansion. Then later Activision states they were upset with D2 sales. Wat.  :/  Sounds like spin since the jettison of Bungie was probably already in the works by then.

sources:
    https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/67786/destiny-2s-forsaken-expansion-allegedly-tripled-the-games-player-count/

https://www.dualshockers.com/destiny-2-spider-man-digital-sales-september-2018/

Sad to see more people losing jobs and hopefully they find prosperous new positions. <3
    gervaise1infomatz
    I think what makes me the saddest in all this is that they offered the new CFO up to $15 MILLION in bonuses. Couldn't that have better been spent to keep the folks in the trenches employed instead of lining already rich people's pockets?

Oh wait....that's big business, isn't it? :/
    BakgrindCoolitgervaise1klash2def[Deleted User]TintagilWhiteshade92samooryesordPalebaneStrizzy12and 14 others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• petersnowzpetersnowz Member UncommonPosts: 8

Spiider said:

ur right crowfunding is much better.................................................................
    ShadowStyleBCryomatrixwingood

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    SBFord said:
    I think what makes me the saddest in all this is that they offered the new CFO up to $15 MILLION in bonuses.

Most of that was in future stock if certain targets were met, wasn't it? Even assuming said targets are met, I have my doubts the stock will quite so big a windfall, and if targets are met one could argue that, at least as far as Acti-Blizz is concerned, it's money well earned.

The whole CFO mess makes for great headlines because to the average person it "feels" wrong, but I doubt that in the real world it's at all relevant to the current situation.

Put another way, correlation, despite The Interent's general insistence to the contrary, does not equal causation and while Bad Optics may make for great headlines and lots of clicks, it's rarely nearly as explanatory as people so desperately want to believe.
    [Deleted User]ThupliGdemamiwingood[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • Skaar.AionSkaar.Aion Member UncommonPosts: 16

SBFord said:

I think what makes me the saddest in all this is that they offered the new CFO up to $15 MILLION in bonuses. Couldn't that have better been spent to keep the folks in the trenches employed instead of lining already rich people's pockets?

Important to keep in mind that those 15 Million aren't cash-money though.
    Bonuses like that are almost always stock/shares and are tied to certain criteria to entice the new officer to do a good job.

It's still shitty though, that the people responsible will most likely come out of this unscathed...
    Instead of reducing management/officer salaries by 10% across the board and show responsibility that way - which would have saved a LOT of jobs - it's the lower level employees that will suffer the consequences brought by the management...
    PalebaneThupliSolancerinfomatz

SBFord said:

Bonuses like that are almost always stock/shares and are tied to certain criteria to entice the new officer to do a good job.

It's still shitty though, that the people responsible will most likely come out of this unscathed...
    Instead of reducing management/officer salaries by 10% across the board and show responsibility that way - which would have saved a LOT of jobs - it's the lower level employees that will suffer the consequences brought by the management...
    I understand that but his base salary is in multi millions plus bonuses. It's disgusting.
    Skaar.Aiongervaise1ValentinaThupliGdemamiTuor7wingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    SBFord said:
    3 "companies", the third being King. (Technically e-sports is a 4th but ....). And when one suffers they all suffer.

Activision the "smallest leg" of the 3-legged stool. Their revenue mix a lot like EA and UbiSoft; big chunk of console. Based on EA's results: "good but not stellar" would apply. And when it comes to Destiny 2 they are simply funding the game and then selling it - with a 30% markup or whatever. 

I wonder whether AB wanted to renegotiate the deal with Bungee? Have Bungee to take on more of more of the up-front funding. That would make sense if cash flow within the company as a whole has become "constrained". So adios Bungee. Basically a studio closure. And before Bungee it was Infinity Ward. Not a loss of "core Activision" to get rid of.

When the forum discussed AB's last results though its the other two legs that "we" suggested had the real problem. WoW subs, King's declining numbers etc. Problems here would mean a decline in cash flow not tied to game release milestones. If there are cuts then here especially - and the e-sports bit on the side.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I remember some people saying that Morhaime was a big enough figure that he was able to protect Blizzard proper from Activision while he was there. Now that he's not, gloves are off I guess. Not surprising.
    SBFordwingood[Deleted User]infomatz
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Not surprising at all. Activision has been left with nothing of note other than Call of Duty and Blizzard just sits on most of their IPs doing fuck all with them.
  • Skaar.AionSkaar.Aion Member UncommonPosts: 16

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

I understand that but his base salary is in multi millions plus bonuses. It's disgusting.

Yea, that's why I always feel that the board should just cut management / officer salaries, so that those actually responsible have to take the hit...not the low level employees, who just do what they are told to do by management...

But that'll never happen sadly. Although it would be the right lesson...
    PalebaneGdemami
    edited February 2019
    NyteWytch said:
    SBFord said:
    I still call bullshit on this from Activision. Back in Sept the articles were all patting D2 on the back for top grossing on consoles and 60% of D2 owners buying the expansion. Then later Activision states they were upset with D2 sales. Wat.  :/  Sounds like spin since the jettison of Bungie was probably already in the works by then.

sources:
    https://www.pcgamesinsider.biz/news/67786/destiny-2s-forsaken-expansion-allegedly-tripled-the-games-player-count/

https://www.dualshockers.com/destiny-2-spider-man-digital-sales-september-2018/

Sad to see more people losing jobs and hopefully they find prosperous new positions. <3
    AB - and they are not alone - like to put a positive spin on things. One thing I liked about EA's recent investor discussion was that it was much more "grounded". 

D2 was fine. Everything AB said was true. The game was a success. Bungee will have been happy! Activision though didn't make the game. They provided the money to get the game made and then sold the game. And for this they will have had a profit target in mind: maybe 10-15% for funding, + 30% for selling it (think Steam). And if they didn't get this return then - for them - it wasn't good.

D2 good for Bungee, less so for AB.

So on to D3. AB were down to provide money upfront to Bungee. And if - if - cash flow is an issue they may have wanted Bungee to take the risk of developing the game themselves. And Bungee are! When it came to AB still wanting their 30% cut or whatever Bungee said no way, if we (Bungee) are funding it we are going to get the big bucks. I'm guessing but its the sort of thing that happens - and makes sense here.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Blizzard should have remained an Indie studio
    They ceased being an indie studio decades ago - long before WoW. Perhaps: I wish Activision Blizzard was part of Vivendi?