Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Guys... can we stay on target?

While I believe Caspien has a Psychology degree that’s really not what this thread is about.  It’s about his meltdown because MMORPG actually had a mildly questioning article, his tantrum about taking his “exclusives” to PCGamer (1 total COE article there) and tangentially about how he also just had a tantrum against his own customer for presenting him with his own words.

Its getting really bad.  I am actually starting to feel bad for the guy.  Just a little.

Caspien has a Psychology degree?  I *really* do not want to read his self-help book.  I wonder if it even comes with crayons?

craftseeker

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Mendel said:
    Guys... can we stay on target?

While I believe Caspien has a Psychology degree that’s really not what this thread is about.  It’s about his meltdown because MMORPG actually had a mildly questioning article, his tantrum about taking his “exclusives” to PCGamer (1 total COE article there) and tangentially about how he also just had a tantrum against his own customer for presenting him with his own words.

Its getting really bad.  I am actually starting to feel bad for the guy.  Just a little.

Caspien has a Psychology degree?  I *really* do not want to read his self-help book.  I wonder if it even comes with crayons?

Yes.  The wiki states he graduated from Missouri S&T (Tied for 802nd in the country per USNews and World Reports annual ranking  https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/missouri-university-of-science-technology-178411 ) with degrees in CS and psychology. 

It's interesting that he refers to it at the 1-minute mark here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGjVBfIU8So

Maybe that's what helps him design the Sales Events to have raised $5M.  It's obviously not based on any programming accomplishments. Maybe he was a better Psych Student...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Maybe he was a better Psych Student...
    In my anecdotal experience, people tend to get interested in Psych. because they have problems of their own that pushed them into that field :p  Just saying...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited February 2019
    Lokero said:
    Maybe he was a better Psych Student...
    In my anecdotal experience, people tend to get interested in Psych. because they have problems of their own that pushed them into that field :p  Just saying...
    Hey!  I majored in Psych for a semester...  :( :D
    LokeroGdemami

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Mendel said:

Second.  Design choices.  The only thing locking SBS/Caspien into any design choice is Caspien's own stubbornness.  He made wild claims about features of his game, and is discovering that these features may not be feasible.  He is driving on towards the cliff, despite numerous warning signs that suggest an alternate ways down.  It wasn't his original plan and he doesn't give credence to the warnings or suggestions because others told him that first.  This seems to clearly be an ego issue.  He made promises.  People criticized promises.  He thinks, "I'll show them!", and continues down the original path just to prove that his detractors were wrong.  He sees changing plans or cutting features as some kind of personal insult.  He'd lose face in his mind, and that isn't happening.

There's a chance that I'm misreading the situation based on information hidden behind some paywall.  But this is just me analyzing the personality behind the public events that have occurred / are occurring with CoE.

Not sure about that. They have sold a lot of stuff that rely on x, y, z feature which is what prohibits redesign.
    Mendel said:

Second.  Design choices.  The only thing locking SBS/Caspien into any design choice is Caspien's own stubbornness.  He made wild claims about features of his game, and is discovering that these features may not be feasible.  He is driving on towards the cliff, despite numerous warning signs that suggest an alternate ways down.  It wasn't his original plan and he doesn't give credence to the warnings or suggestions because others told him that first.  This seems to clearly be an ego issue.  He made promises.  People criticized promises.  He thinks, "I'll show them!", and continues down the original path just to prove that his detractors were wrong.  He sees changing plans or cutting features as some kind of personal insult.  He'd lose face in his mind, and that isn't happening.

There's a chance that I'm misreading the situation based on information hidden behind some paywall.  But this is just me analyzing the personality behind the public events that have occurred / are occurring with CoE.

Not sure about that. They have sold a lot of stuff that rely on x, y, z feature which is what prohibits redesign.
    Prohibits redesign kind of like ElyriaMud(cancelled after lengthy development), or VoxElyria(cancelled after lengthy development) or SpatialOS, the foundation the game was built on... until it was dropped?

@mendel hit it on the head.  Caspien was told all these were a waste of resources and time but he stubbornly plowed forward.  Think of all the time wasted because of his ego.  It’s easy to waste other people’s money.

Hes now been reduced to occassionally shouting @all on Discord that the people with access to his single or double paywalled Early Access forums should go check out “the shiny”.  It’s so bush league it’s pathetic.  He can’t even deliver a blog update. He literally started talking about this Update Blog on Nov 5th. It’s now February.  Along the way he has blamed his vacation, and his team members...  but reality is that he once again has simply not delivered.   He hides behind the Early Access forum despite his Kickstarter PROMISE to provide regular progress updates on his website.  He needs to publish his schedule or he’s clearly in violation of the Kickstarter.  Last one was published July 2017 I believe.  That’s simply pathetic.

When someone like Tim mildly points this out, he throws a tantrum and takes his toys home. 
    MendelGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Mendel said:

Yes, they have sold a lot of stuff.  However, the features that were promised to use the specific items could easily change.  The features are merely promises, words on a page, at this stage.  There appears to be nothing about this project that is written in stone.

The only thing backing these prior commitments to game systems and features seems to be Caspien's ego.  If some of these systems can't be accomplished by SBS, it will definitely hurt the existing promises and further endanger the project's success.  Even if simple changes to some features could help propel the game towards completion, I do not know if SBS/Caspien would actually be open to changing the plan.  Such a stance might be detrimental to all parties, and to the game.

Maybe Caspien's ego is being confused for 'written in stone' here.  Project management and software development are both endeavors where flexibility is an asset.  Things change, even goals and core facts the project is built upon.  There are even special studies within software development that focus on requirements management; managing how and when changes impact a project.  If there is a degree of flexibility at SBS, it doesn't appear to have been demonstrated publicly.

Things change.  Even in three card monte.

GdemamiScot

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Mendel said:

Prohibits redesign kind of like ElyriaMud(cancelled after lengthy development), or VoxElyria(cancelled after lengthy development) or SpatialOS, the foundation the game was built on... until it was dropped?

@mendel hit it on the head.  Caspien was told all these were a waste of resources and time but he stubbornly plowed forward.  Think of all the time wasted because of his ego.  It’s easy to waste other people’s money.

Hes now been reduced to occassionally shouting @all on Discord that the people with access to his single or double paywalled Early Access forums should go check out “the shiny”.  It’s so bush league it’s pathetic.  He can’t even deliver a blog update. He literally started talking about this Update Blog on Nov 5th. It’s now February.  Along the way he has blamed his vacation, and his team members...  but reality is that he once again has simply not delivered.   He hides behind the Early Access forum despite his Kickstarter PROMISE to provide regular progress updates on his website.  He needs to publish his schedule or he’s clearly in violation of the Kickstarter.  Last one was published July 2017 I believe.  That’s simply pathetic.

When someone like Tim mildly points this out, he throws a tantrum and takes his toys home. 
    This annoyed the hell out of me, I've plowed what to me was a large amount at the time into this (large amount of disposable cash).

Now I get told I'm no longer entitled to updates because it wasn't enough, but those that put less in and got a free count package get to see it... 
    GdemamiKyleranSlapshot1188Dakeru
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The worst of the worst about mmorpg.com in this thread. 

It’s not a good look. I think it has ran its course. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    bcbully said:
    The worst of the worst about mmorpg.com in this thread. 

It’s not a good look. I think it has ran its course. 
    Alas, the truth is never pretty,  and few can stand up to its withering gaze.

craftseeker

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

This annoyed the hell out of me, I've plowed what to me was a large amount at the time into this (large amount of disposable cash).

Now I get told I'm no longer entitled to updates because it wasn't enough, but those that put less in and got a free count package get to see it... 
    Given the amount of money you out in, have you ever pointed out to him that he PROMISED on this Kickstarter to publish and Update his schedule on the CoE website?  I mean it’s right there on Kickstarter for all to read. And it’s not a Kickstarter requirement.  It’s what he personally decided to pledge to do for those giving money.

If not, why not?  Just wondering.

Gdemami

AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

Given the amount of money you out in, have you ever pointed out to him that he PROMISED on this Kickstarter to publish and Update his schedule on the CoE website?  I mean it’s right there on Kickstarter for all to read. And it’s not a Kickstarter requirement.  It’s what he personally decided to pledge to do for those giving money.

Probably because he isn't a member of the double top secret "Ivory Tower" club, riff-raff need not apply.
    craftseeker

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

Probably because he isn't a member of the double top secret "Ivory Tower" club, riff-raff need not apply.
    All it would take is a post on their forums with a screen of the promise from Kickstarter and a link showing the last posted schedule was getting close to 2 years ago.  

I would honestly love love to hear Caspiens explanation on this.  Just last night he had another “Early Access” fiasco on his Discord after saying dumb shit like every time he gives info in the regular channel he “takes away from the XA community” (one of his 2 paywalled Access forums. This is what he calls the 10k one).

When someone had the audacity to complain about getting pelted with “Go check Early Access” messages and another asked him to stop with the sass, Caspiens response was”sorry man. I’m in zero shits given mode”

Another great example.  Someone needs to point out publicly his promise to publish and update the schedule and not let him hide behind his paywalls and NDAs.

Gdemami

True, but no one bought ElyriaMud as an item. Maybe they bought access in the packages but that probably falls under general Alpha access. I see your point though.

The key issue is Caspien is now in crunch time when the real innovation has to be proven and technically they are stalling. He struggling to find a solution. This is why he is getting more and more aggro in public. The stress is telling because he knows the plan is not coming together.
    Slapshot1188Kylerantweedledumb99Sabrac
    Mendel said:

Yes, they have sold a lot of stuff.  However, the features that were promised to use the specific items could easily change.  The features are merely promises, words on a page, at this stage.  There appears to be nothing about this project that is written in stone.

Yeah they are in a hard place. I am just worried that it is the character persistence that is the problem and everything else rests on that. They literally cannot cut that as a feature.
    AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

Yes I have and I did again this morning...

What I got was a mod telling me not to ping staff and wait for official announcements
    Dakeru
    Turns out Caspian may have been listening to my moaning, he now has a seperate channel for early access notifications...

Still doesn't stop me being pissed off about no new updates... 
    Gdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    What happened to this state of elyria/0.5.0 update? Seeing some DJ come out and it's just a lore post.. what the? Unless people have asked them on discord, seems like it's just been forgotten about. I also thought they would have said something about DSS (domain and settlement selection). Since that was teased to be dropping in december on discord, but pushed back cause of the holidays. Which did make sense at least. Which again, nothing said. 

I once again wonder why they bother teasing anyone about anything on discord. They soon just burn enough people, that they be put off the game all together. Which even the more loyal fans will soon be pissed off enough. I'm reaching the point of, something has to give. Should at least have Pre-Elyria by now. At this rate. CoE will get the Star Citizen rep of "Oh my grandkids will play it". But CoE will get "my grandkids will be able to play alpha 1 at least".
    AnOldFartGdemami
    Well a few days ago Caspien was talking about how shocked he was that they were working on 0.5 for 4 months and that he had lost track of time and thought it was only 2 months...

Great quality for a project manager... but it explains a lot.
    TorrskwingoodStrizzy12

Well a few days ago Caspien was talking about how shocked he was that they were working on 0.5 for 4 months and that he had lost track of time and thought it was only 2 months...

Well, when one is roleplaying (a developer) things like that can happen. 

;)
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188AnOldFartStrizzy12

Kyleran said:

;)
    Aren’t project Gantt charts meant to help you track time and progress?
    Then again, as he pointed out we haven’t seen his so maybe his show something else.

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 112
    SBFord said:
    Get out in that sunshine, folks...unless you're anywhere in the polar vortex, that is... D:
    Sunshine?? I remember that, we saw it sometime last year ...

- From the polar vortex that is snow-buried Seattle
    Interitus

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

I find it more interesting that he admitted to losing track of time. But a small patch/sprint going for 4 months seems pretty dam insane. At that rate alpha 1 won't come out for another 2 years, if not longer. I should probably stop expecting things to happen. Would have assumed at least alpha 1 would start this year. 

Gdemami
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Aren’t project Gantt charts meant to help you track time and progress?
    Then again, as he pointed out we haven’t seen his so maybe his show something else.
    Crayons?

Slapshot1188AnOldFart

Well my "Coe" Community have now had enough, I was discussing with one of our "counts" and he is fed up too.
    As for our group founder, damn should have heard his rant. But then again it was all factual and the stuff that annoys me.

From the pre-kickstarter lies of it being low fantasy with lots of great features...
    To the kickstarter lies about time line and stuff.
    The tipping point for him was the "fantasy" races in a game that is again low fantasy.

If refunds appeared I would be the first one jn line, I would bet they would lose around 1/4 of their funds in refunds... 
    DakeruMendeltweedledumb99Gdemami