Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressions of Amazon's New World - MMORPG.com

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    same thing different title. as much as people have always loved 'sandbox' theyre all now seeing (with the way these developers deliver it) that sandbox is code for cheapest and easiest way to build a game world. basically have some skill trees some PvP and some building and you have a game.

thats why wildcard/snail can throw them out as fast as they do there is literally nothing beyond character creation to worry about (once you have world built).

These things were all the rage and even still are for the first few days. But games where destroying things is the main 'content' are never going to work.

These games also dont work because of the gap between people who are online 24/7 and people who have 'lives'. Youre never going to be able to balance or equalize it. Its not even 'hardcore' its simply hours put in.

Also not addressed will be the raiding rulesets or offline or online or all the stuff that has ruined every other game like this.

They all try and reinvent something that doesnt work. With Bezos it should be expected I suppose but this is going to end up being a 'failure'.

But from reading this and other articles I suspect it will eventually be heavily monetized and the obvious target for that will be skill and attribute points.

But it has every failed element of ARK/Atlas and then some by the looks, Although the land claim aspect as shown with Life is Feudal can be done fairly well. The major issue is trying to take land away from someone which atlas has never and will never figure out. Because with 24/7 games getting a 'fair' system is impossible even with a declaration system where there is a time and date set for defender and attacker to be there (akin to the old pirates of the burning sea system) because even with that there are log in issues, lag/latency issues and any other number of problems.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    It's just a person running along a path.
    It's just a survival game.
    It's just a base building game.

It's ..... a work in progress.
    tweedledumb99HatefulljimmywolfOzmodaninfomatzaustinmaw
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    gervaise1 said:
    It's just a person running along a path.
    It's just a survival game.
    It's just a base building game.

It's ..... a work in progress.
    Yes, but it's JUST a work in progress.
    KinringHatefullaustinmaw

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    so disappointed it is PvP based.
    krgwynnecraftseekerTacticalZombehjonp200infomatzaustinmaw

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    im pritty much over the sandbox games they are chap and nasty and there is already more than enough of them in existence already. plus most of the new one are not as good as the old ones. battle royal games are just as bad just my opinion.
    craftseeker
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Why can't someone make a sandbox rpg with all these elements except for survival ( yay here ) and open PvP ( booooo here ). Ugh
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ling story short, if you didnt like Shadowbane, Ultima Online T2A, Darkfall or Star Wars Galaxies, you wont like this game and should probably just move on.

There is a very large group of gamers waiting for a game exactly like what Amazon is building here. There are plenty of other PvE/story based games for everyone else to choose from.
    To this day I think that Shadowbane was my favorite MMORPG of all time. That said the main things all those games have in common is they're all fucking dead, or limping along with a tiny population. While I think I'll enjoy The New World, I doubt the majority of MMO gamers are going to want anything to do with it.
    My gaming tastes have changed over time and I have very little patience these days for some of the micromanaged crafting that I once thought was just the best ever. It's the main reason I don't play survival games and this game, although much more than a survival game, still has strong survivalish craft-everything-in-minute-detail vibes.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]mazutDr_BinksOctagon7711Ozmodaninfomatz
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The game is so wack, f#$k the NDA.

It's 100% a lumberyard tech demo. Some of the jankiest "combat" I've ever touched in my life. PVP AND PVE are garbation. 0 skill. Zergle bergle is what moves and shakes. They'll probably be throwing another bag of invites because the demo can't retain any players after they realize what it is (tree chopping and rock collecting sim).

If the purpose of this game was to be optimized for Twitch it must be for some sleep assistance channels.

It looks decent visually/aesthetically, but it's a totally forgettable game. I mean head trauma "what was I just doing?" forgettable.

I was excited when it was announced, but it's absolutely not what they started to sell it as. It's a survival game where the food and water don't really matter regardless of what they say.

If running around doing damn near nothing for hours, in between mashing 2-3 buttons is your thing, by all means doooo eeeeet.
    cochsRain_Deathraven
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Vorch21Vorch21 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Fights looks primitive and monotonous to me...
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    The Shadowbane comments above seem pretty appropriate. 

It's kind of a shame what this game turned out to be:
    •   For comparison when Facebook decided to get into gaming they bought up a "risky" VR headset company, then preceded to nearly make their own genre with the Echo series (Echo Arena, Lone Echo, Echo Combat) which are pretty much genre making zero gravity games.  
    •  When Amazon gets here they make a survival game that isn't much of one (except for your camp there is no individual building, there is no climbing up the tech tree, or similar), that hopes to have the whole EVE Online thing where you get your guild to log on at X time every week to head bash the enemy guild (complete with the grind and pretty bad content outside of that).

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    I really didn't get anything out of this article, other then it sounds like another open world PVP mess!
    craftseekerMendel
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Stopped reading at "It isn't a survival game", because atm, yes it is
    Ozmodan
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    I would play this ... but bezos is not getting any of my cash

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    It's too early to judge this game yet. It seems to have some potential but also feels like what the complaints indicate will be the end result. Hopefully not.

It seems to me that an MMO really needs an element that brings out the imagination of the players in the PvE area of game play. This is usually with Sci-Fi or Fantasy Magic and Monsters. And in depth. It's hard to see something in this game to substitute for either of those.

I do like some of the ideas presented in the basic game play here. I like a little bit of survival mechanics as "basic" game play. I like a challenge in playing and developing a character. But a game needs much more on top of that to hold the player's interest in a positive fashion. And wide open PvP is a negative, unless you also have a Justice System that works to restrict ganking.

The biggest problem I see for this game is that it seems to be yet another rendition of the tired PvP design where most of the player base would simply get eaten by the strong. And to do this when the players base is so well experienced in such is about as crazy as Bezos claiming defense from that which he's helped create. Which is perhaps the most classic example of "live by the sword, die by the sword" I think I've ever seen.

Once upon a time....

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Another PvP survival game?

Seems Amazon missed the boat, literally speaking, on this genre. Surprised they haven't turned it around into an arena shooter (or whatever we're calling PUBG/Fortnite these days).
    Ozmodancraftseeker
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Another PvP survival game?

Seems Amazon missed the boat, literally speaking, on this genre. Surprised they haven't turned it around into an arena shooter (or whatever we're calling PUBG/Fortnite these days).
    It's not even devent PVP. The only reason it's called PVP is because you can make another persons life bar go down if you turn on [CRIMINAL INTENT].

Left click 1 animation, press G one animation (if applicable), press F one animation. The combat 2 buttons more dynamic than rockem sockem robots. No timing, no combinations, no scissor paper rock nothing.
    OzmodanMadFrenchieinfomatz
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Seeing medieval knights fighting next to cowboys gives me the impression that this universe will not have a serious lore behind it. That picture looks as silly as Sea of Thieves for some reason.
    AmarantharinfomatzOzmodan

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Looks like shit tbh https://youtu.be/1m6aaQktEMU
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

DMKano said:

Rhoklaw said:

I'm sure this can't do any worse than ATLAS, so they have that going for them at least.

You haven't played this yet obviously.

I am personally amazed by how intept amazon game studios is so far - with all the money and all the talent they hired - they seem completely incapable of putting together a quality game period.

Personally, considering that MMO's have a vast social impact on game play, I haven't seen any real advancement in that regard. And the only guy that I know of, as just a gamer myself, who gets "it" is Raph Koster. I'm sure there are a few more, but I'm also sure that the numbers of people with that understanding are very few.
    And that's become the biggest hangup in new MMO development, in my opinion.

Once upon a time....

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    rodarin said:
    same thing different title. as much as people have always loved 'sandbox' theyre all now seeing (with the way these developers deliver it) that sandbox is code for cheapest and easiest way to build a game world. basically have some skill trees some PvP and some building and you have a game.

thats why wildcard/snail can throw them out as fast as they do there is literally nothing beyond character creation to worry about (once you have world built).

These things were all the rage and even still are for the first few days. But games where destroying things is the main 'content' are never going to work.

These games also dont work because of the gap between people who are online 24/7 and people who have 'lives'. Youre never going to be able to balance or equalize it. Its not even 'hardcore' its simply hours put in.

Also not addressed will be the raiding rulesets or offline or online or all the stuff that has ruined every other game like this.

They all try and reinvent something that doesnt work. With Bezos it should be expected I suppose but this is going to end up being a 'failure'.

But from reading this and other articles I suspect it will eventually be heavily monetized and the obvious target for that will be skill and attribute points.

But it has every failed element of ARK/Atlas and then some by the looks, Although the land claim aspect as shown with Life is Feudal can be done fairly well. The major issue is trying to take land away from someone which atlas has never and will never figure out. Because with 24/7 games getting a 'fair' system is impossible even with a declaration system where there is a time and date set for defender and attacker to be there (akin to the old pirates of the burning sea system) because even with that there are log in issues, lag/latency issues and any other number of problems.
    They literally said, in the article, had you actually bothered to read it, that the attackers and the defenders AGREE upon a time for the assault to commence.

As far as your assertion that time and place don't work, wrong again, Lineage 2 (as well as others) has this system and it worked well. I was personally involved in several castle fights where there were literally hundreds per side attacking or defending. It worked fine. Not sure if it is still like this as I quit when it went F2P.

The article further states, not all system are in place, they said that they (amazon) considers it in an Alpha state, so for all the other brain deads that didn't bother to actually read the article and are throwing their opinions around, it's not complete, they aren't selling early access (yet) or stating its ready for release. Reading is fundamental. For the record...aren't both Ark and Atlass still running servers? Oh yeah, they are, so please explain how they have "failed" let me guess, you don't like them so they failed.

Also, your oversimplification of what makes a Sandbox game is laughable. Maybe a bad sandbox, but not a good one.

Obviously, each and every one of you are entitled to your opinion, but damn, at least try once in a while to get close to something approaching a fact.
    Sovrath

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• MasoodVoonMasoodVoon Member UncommonPosts: 50

DMKano said:

Hate to say this but they should seriously consider turning it into a battle royale game.

Jeff Bezos wants a word with you, and he ain't happy coming off the attempted blackmail he endured from the National Enquirer this week. :D

Yeah, perhaps he states as proof an anonymous source that doesn't exist WaPost style! True to form that would be.

I am expecting this to be like ark/atlas but perhaps I am wrong. If you like these types of games it will be exciting. If you like MMO's, LoL, or Fortnite then you might think it "generic" because you just don't like these games.
    HatefullKyleran
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

DMKano said:

Hate to say this but they should seriously consider turning it into a battle royale game.

Jeff Bezos wants a word with you, and he ain't happy coming off the attempted blackmail he endured from the National Enquirer this week. :D

Yeah, perhaps he states as proof an anonymous source that doesn't exist WaPost style! True to form that would be.

I am expecting this to be like ark/atlas but perhaps I am wrong. If you like these types of games it will be exciting. If you like MMO's, LoL, or Fortnite then you might think it "generic" because you just don't like these games.
    If combat really is a matter of pressing 2-3 different buttons to perform rather generic attacks (as implied in this thread), that's not an indicator of flavor so much as lack of flavor in combat.

Even games like Dark Souls, with their sluggishly basic combat actions system, gives the player the ability to perform different attacks depending upon context and as well as including a parry/block and riposte system.  Are there any such counter-attack systems in New World?  I'm honestly curious, as the implications made in this thread appear to indicate there aren't.

There's obviously different attacks with different weapons, but do these amount to anything more than different animations?  Do we know if weapons strike in true swing arcs, or just hit register based upon an invisible hit area directly in front of the attacker?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that other survival games have these kinds of systems to add depth to their combat as a comparison bar here.  I'm saying it's 2019 and video games themselves aren't a novel experience anymore, so if they don't, they damn well should.  As such, any game that presents conflict as a core gameplay loop, but can't get any deeper than a few generic attacks in combat, earns the label "generic."
    Amaranthar

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I'm not supporting anything Amazon anymore...They have become too big and too powerful.
    [Deleted User]
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited February 2019
    Did you like ARK/Conan Exiles/generic sandbox survival game focused more on pvp without private servers?

Then you'll like this!

I was excited for it when announced, but after getting alpha access.. it's a hard pass.

Edit: Trying to figure out why I have a "MILD" below my name, apparently I was warned for commenting on the last article about this game saying it's a generic sandbox game because it was under "NDA".  TIL the mod team here are mods for random games.

Time to copy-paste it here since appears to be deleted and the NDA isn't a thing anymore.
    DAOWAce said:
    "Unique MMO"

Mortal Online wants a word.

Also, I did play the alpha (hello NDA), and it just felt like yet another survival game, with some territory control mechanics tacked on.

Woopy. Nothing to see here.
    [Deleted User]tweedledumb99Alomar
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DAOWAce said:
    Did you like ARK/Conan Exiles/generic sandbox survival game focused more on pvp without private servers?

Then you'll like this!

I was excited for it when announced, but after getting alpha access.. it's a hard pass.

Edit: Trying to figure out why I have a "MILD" below my name, apparently I was warned for commenting on the last article about this game saying it's a generic sandbox game because it was under "NDA".  TIL the mod team here are mods for random games.

Time to copy-paste it here since appears to be deleted and the NDA isn't a thing anymore.
    DAOWAce said:
    "Unique MMO"

Mortal Online wants a word.

Also, I did play the alpha (hello NDA), and it just felt like yet another survival game, with some territory control mechanics tacked on.

Woopy. Nothing to see here.
    yeah makes sense, a game that is in Alpha seems to not be finished. Who would have thought?

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.