Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds Takes Top Honors in the Steam Awards 2018 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePlayer Unknown's Battlegrounds Takes Top Honors in the Steam Awards 2018 - MMORPG.com

The votes have been counted and the results tabulated for this year's Steam Awards. The Game of the Year 2019 has been named as PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds! PUBG beat out Monster Hunter World, Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Hitman 2 to take top honors.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Think Fortnite regrets Epic Launcher exclusivity? :D :D :D
    etlarThupliCoolit[Deleted User]RenoakuFolmenGobstopper3DRain_Deathraven

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    "Is this an out of season April Fools joke?
    rojoArcueidSBFordgervaise1etlarPhaedruslivesCoolitFolmenwonkerzRain_Deathraven
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Honestly, i believe Labor of Love fits Witcher 3 far more than GTAV.
    BakgrindzigalucardAlbatroesetlarFolmenAlomarTacticalZombehRain_Deathraven

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Well if that doesn't scream "rigged", idk what will.
    Folmenwonkerz
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

labor of love is for games that have been out for a while and are still being updated. i would have put path of exile first but gta 5 is a good candidate too.
    [Deleted User]etlarFolmen
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

SBFord said:

Think Fortnite regrets Epic Launcher exclusivity? :D :D :D

Steam maybe; Epic not in the slightest!

Wonder what the Epic GotY will be; maybe they will have two - one for games not called Fortnite.
    SBFordnatpicketlarFolmen
  • bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I voted No Man's Sky for Labor of Love, I think...the game's not for everyone, but they sure did keep at it with the meaningful updates.

As for GotY, 2018 was definitely the year of the console exclusives.
    [Deleted User]SBFordgervaise1
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Skyrim VR as VR GoTY? Thats surprising given how little it differs from every other version of Skyrim, how little the VR adds to the experience, and the fact that there are some great VR games right now delivering some amazingly immersive experiences. Oh well, only thing thatll stop Skyrim from winning awards is Elder Scrolls 6 I guess.
    etlar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    How did The Quiet Man not win any of these awards?!?!?! I demand a recount!
    SBFord[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    lol I am so NOT mainstream gaming
    [Deleted User]gervaise1
  • Ricardo5802Ricardo5802 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    These results perfectly show how sad the gaming industry is right now....
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

ananit said:

labor of love is for games that have been out for a while and are still being updated. i would have put path of exile first but gta 5 is a good candidate too.

THen that is a weird award because GTA is not updated out of love, its a money milking machine.
    FolmenTacticalZombeh

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    How is Warframe not even nominated for "Labor of love"? It's the very definition of the term.
    Ricardo5802FlameKingTacticalZombeh
  • etlaretlar Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Clearly the bitter hate of ppl using mmorpg.com. I am sorry your "insert whatever" did not 
    live to be nr. 1 br  game... who even cares what rank your game of choice has..as long as you enjoy it. ( and it can sustain a population)
    so much hate for a br game, based on the arma 3 simulator, that most here dont even play. 
    its a steam award, not mmorpg award.
    and i even love this site still, but i am surprised by the hate of all things not ultra mmorpg ( of which we have seen nine in many many years now)
    BlueThunderBearAeandermmolouRicardo5802Folmen
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    etlar said:
    Clearly the bitter hate of ppl using mmorpg.com. I am sorry your "insert whatever" did not 
    live to be nr. 1 br  game... who even cares what rank your game of choice has..as long as you enjoy it. ( and it can sustain a population)
    so much hate for a br game, based on the arma 3 simulator, that most here dont even play. 
    and i even love this site still, but i am surprised by the hate of all things not ultra mmorpg ( of which we have seen nine in many many years now)
    I think you are missing the "light hearted /playful" nature of many of these comments!
    Folmen
    Skyrim VR as VR GoTY? Thats surprising given how little it differs from every other version of Skyrim, how little the VR adds to the experience, and the fact that there are some great VR games right now delivering some amazingly immersive experiences. Oh well, only thing thatll stop Skyrim from winning awards is Elder Scrolls 6 I guess.
    maybe subnauica vr would have been beter, i agree :))
    BlueThunderBear
    etlar said:
    maybe subnauica vr would have been beter, i agree :))
    arr all my bad spelling, sorry. here i go again: Subnautica
    gervaise1 said:
    etlar said:
    I think you are missing the "light hearted /playful" nature of many of these comments!
    my apoligies

Torval said:

bonzoso21 said:

I voted No Man's Sky for Labor of Love, I think...the game's not for everyone, but they sure did keep at it with the meaningful updates.

The entire awards lists was rather disappointing, but this one the most. I didn't expect them to win, but I really wanted to be wrong.

This result shows me how out of touch I am with mainstream PC gaming. It's convinced me I should move to consoles as my primary gaming. It's cheaper for me to save up for a Switch than replace my GTX970 or build a new system. And I'd rather play the thirty-hundredth version of Mario Kart than I would wade through the pc market chasing battle royale and games as a service money. Plus, I only have to deal with one store front and library and no worries about whether it's compatible or not.

i really want to agree. but i would rather pay 10 bucks fro a season pass that gives me everything, than 10 bucks a month for an mmorpg, and then 10 bucks for whatever the said mmorpg adds in their newfound "cosmetic" shop. i think it should be a crime to have both a sub and a shop. just my opinion though.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Gross.
    etlar
    etlar said:

Torval said:

bonzoso21 said:

The entire awards lists was rather disappointing, but this one the most. I didn't expect them to win, but I really wanted to be wrong.

This result shows me how out of touch I am with mainstream PC gaming. It's convinced me I should move to consoles as my primary gaming. It's cheaper for me to save up for a Switch than replace my GTX970 or build a new system. And I'd rather play the thirty-hundredth version of Mario Kart than I would wade through the pc market chasing battle royale and games as a service money. Plus, I only have to deal with one store front and library and no worries about whether it's compatible or not.

i really want to agree. but i would rather pay 10 bucks fro a season pass that gives me everything, than 10 bucks a month for an mmorpg, and then 10 bucks for whatever the said mmorpg adds in their newfound "cosmetic" shop. i think it should be a crime to have both a sub and a shop. just my opinion though.
    I just found out, that you can purchase PUBG and also you have to buy keys to unlock stuff, i am sorry for everything i said, IT ALL A LIE, THEY ARE ALL GREEDY BASTARDS. so i am sorry for my statements.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    "Most Fun With A Machine", this year if we get a really popular dog game we will need a category "Most Fun With A Dog". :)
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    There are necro-threads and then there are necro-rewards. Imagine all the "excitement" if Oscars worked like that - "Harry Potter" and "Jurassic Park" would still compete for the best movie of the year nomination.

Thank you for your time!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Limnic said:

"Is this an out of season April Fools joke?

You can see here and this should put the nail in the coffin that these award shows are nothing more than sponsored marketing money grabs.

Not only is PUBG easily not the best game it got annihilated in it's own genre by Fortnite.This one category alone makes Valve look real bad,you have to at least be best in your genre first ,then maybe considered best over all.

Why was Fortnite not even on the list?LOL Steam/Valve none too happy with Epic games.

That wasn't an AWARDS show that was nothing more than Steam's best seller list,which you can get everyday already just by queing up the App lol.
    gervaise1

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I know it was called STEAM awards but why would ANYONE care about ONE app and THEIR business?
    When you start tossing around words like BEST OF...and AWARDS that is normally considered in the world even though it was titled STEAM.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.