Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NETGEAR Nighthawk XR700 Pro Gaming Router Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNETGEAR Nighthawk XR700 Pro Gaming Router Review - MMORPG.com

As gamers, we require a lot from our WiFi routers. We need good speeds that take advantage of our internet. We need low latency even when sharing bandwidth. We need more control to forward ports and optimize connections. Today, we’re looking at the NETGEAR Nighthawk XR700, a premium WiFi router custom-made for gamers. It’s packed with features intended to take your gaming to the next level but do they? Find out in our official review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 682
    Wonder if there are any routers with all that except for the fancy wireless. We game connected and only use wireless for our work laptops which don't require much and the occasional smartphone browsing.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    DMKano said:
    My 2c - ditch the home market wifi routers and go with professional enterprise level wireless access point.

I am personally running Cisco WAPs (too expensive for most) but te uptime on my wifi has been over 2 years without rebooting.

Ubiquity would be my choice- for under $150 there is no better wireless access point period. Sure there was s recent exploit for ddos but they have it patched already.

The difference between an enterprise level wifi vs home devices such as netgear/linksys/asus/etc.... is night and day.

Yes they are harder to setup but the performance and stability are 100% worth it. And also they can handle 100s of wireless connections simultaneously without breaking.a sweat
    Harder to setup as in you need to have degree in networking or harder to setup as in any geek should be able to figure it out?  Good call on Ubiquity.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NirimetusNirimetus Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Honestly, not sure why all this crap, I had 3 TP-links ranging from an 6+ old to a simple new one, they all have issues with that shitty heavy OS TP-link is proud of, but after installing OpenWRT I don't have any issue for rebooting unless my ISP go retard, which happens quite often.

I also stopped using those shitty USB and Built-in wifi adapters, they never work at full capacity, instead I use older router above as wireless adapter.

Works pretty well and my downloads aren't capped.

Btw, no matter what you do, you can't defeat lag or latency, unless you live pretty close to the servers, even so, if anything is faulty between your home and the server, you will suffer same way.

Specially in poor and corrupt countries, where they don't give a fuck for the internet infrastructure.
    Octagon7711
  • WorldworldWorldworld Member CommonPosts: 1
     >:) 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    If you want good throughput, good pings, and good reliability, then you want ethernet. The wire is what makes it work. The question isn't whether wireless is going to be inferior; it's only in what ways and by how much.
    infomatz
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 505
    The price is definitely at a premium for this device. I'll let the country club gamers buy & gloat about this hardware at its release. I'm sure this would be optimal at some LAN parties.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I get 750mbps down / 380 up with the router wifi my isp gave me, never felt a need to upgrade. Every game/download service throttles well below that.
  • moguy1moguy1 Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I have enjoyed this brand. I have all my comps hard wired but have this as well for our phones/ ipads. Is it worth the money? To me it is
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    $500 is up into some nice commercial grade gear territory.

UI may not be as nice to set up, but wow... this costs almost as much as a GPU anymore.
    infomatz
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    sschrupp said:
    Wonder if there are any routers with all that except for the fancy wireless. We game connected and only use wireless for our work laptops which don't require much and the occasional smartphone browsing.
    https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

$60 MSRP.
  • SkeeterslintSkeeterslint Member UncommonPosts: 71

Ridelynn said:

sschrupp said:

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

$60 MSRP.

Will back this one up the EdgeRouter X is a badass little router.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Ridelynn said:
     this costs almost as much as a GPU anymore.
    Nvidia is working on fixing that.