Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Impressions of Amazon's New World - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageImpressions of Amazon's New World - MMORPG.com

On Tuesday, February 5th, the good people at Amazon and Fortyseven invited a group of game enthusiasts to attend an Alpha event to get a glimpse at the progress being made on their New World project. Not only were we given time to experience the game in its present form, but we were also taken on a tour of the dynamic Company vs. Company warfare that awaits players in this large scale PvP title.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    So another basebuilding PVP arena game?
    AlomarCazrielScotmeddyckOzmodanSabracanemotweedledumb99chocolate42069infomatzand 5 others.
  • Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462

Maurgrim said:

So another basebuilding PVP arena game?

I wanna say it's more like Ark.
    KyleranOzmodanAsm0deusLeFantomechocolate42069Mitaraaustinmaw
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    #1 this did NOT sound like an opinionated "impression" article,it sounded more like telling us what is going on but offering VERY little opinion or impression on everything mentioned.
    #2 We know how these work,can you really say this is an article based on opinion/impression when it has to meet the approval of Amazon before it can be posted?

Then on the idea of moving camps,that is the cheapest way to trivialize content.You might as well say you NEVER die in the game because you simply get right back up where you left off,well within feet of your camp.The only time players won't care about the camp is after they unlock the other easy respawn nodes.

Of course we could have used the author's OPINION or impression on this idea but yeah guess not really IMPRESSION article.

It has been such a breathe of fresh air to recently see more people getting paid off of gaming to stand up and speak the truth an NOT OMIT important information.
    This to me just looks like a person trying to get paid from a business also trying to make some money from the game developer.

On the obvious..."another base building game".I have no problem with copying BASE/core ideas but i need to see something unique and creative above what we can already play.After all this is a BUSINESS,developers MUST earn our money,we don't just hand it over for free,well actually some do hand it over for free...sigh.

"seems polished"? Well since i didn't read anything that says the game is actually doing very much,it couldn't be too difficult to polish it.All i see here is a basic pvp game ,call attacking others>>>Sieges,whatever,a meaningless term to me,it's just an empty game with pvp far i'm concerned.

maybe there is more,we will have to find out for ourselves if there is but likely more articles incoming if Amazon sends a little money this way.
    Panserbjorne39CazrielmaskedweaselAlmostLancelotKyleranMaddog666TacticalZombehHatefullSkymournetweedledumb99and 1 other.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Panserbjorne39Panserbjorne39 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    After playing the alpha myself, I found this article strange and confusing. I didn't find anything about it particularly noteworthy regarding the graphics, terrain, and environment. Running on the highest settings, it all felt very generic. I wasn't impressed.
    It felt like another "sandbox" pvp grind game, basically a game without content, no missions, no story, no reason to do anything. You'll gather, craft and grind your way to a set of clothes and weapons so you can then continue to grind the next set that's slightly better. Felt like Albion online. The gather and craft mechanics were really boring and mindless activities.
    Cuppett5MaurgrimThupli[Deleted User]SadfistEponyxDamorOzmodanSignexchocolate42069Samhaeland 7 others.
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Pleaaaaase let this be as good as it looks
    Signexchocolate42069Mitaraaustinmaw
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They made a big deal of the time period but from what I've read so far the time period is not that big a deal, just a reason to explain the crafting style. A vanilla game that could use more seasoning perhaps. As a survival PvP game in a world of survival PvP games, I do wish them luck.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]austinmaw

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GrindcoreTHRALLGrindcoreTHRALL Member UncommonPosts: 303
    PvP is the only thing that matters, cant wait for this game.
    SadfistKyleranLeFantomeinfomatz
  • sythraelsythrael Member UncommonPosts: 58

Wizardry said:

#1 this did NOT sound like an opinionated "impression" article,it sounded more like telling us what is going on but offering VERY little opinion or impression on everything mentioned.

I apologize if my writing style was unable to communicate the excitement with which I view what I experienced. However, the last couple of paragraphs at the end, if you were able to make it that far, express quite plainly my opinions and impressions.

As far as "getting paid off", there was no remuneration of any kind in regards to this article and my involvement, participation, and work were all voluntary.

Thanks for your input!
    SovrathMadFrenchieAlmostLancelotHatefullTacticalZombehtweedledumb99chocolate42069infomatz

May the Chaos forever bind you to it's glory.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    Hate to say this but they should seriously consider turning it into a battle royale game.

Jeff Bezos wants a word with you, and he ain't happy coming off the attempted blackmail he endured from the National Enquirer this week. :D
    Jamar870Kyleraninfomatzaustinmaw

• TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Sounds like fun, getting tired of having to be in a massive company to keep from getting my sorry butt alive though.
    sschruppKyleranaustinmaw

• PARTIESPLAYINPARTIESPLAYIN Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Don't see anything unique here meh .... How about 17th century ships with controllable NPC's multicrew. Or flying behemoths, or something that will draw people to the game . Otherwise this seems really basic, no missions or objectives. Hmmm.. don't think I'll be playing this one seems like rinse and repeat gameplay. Maybe there will be something that draws my interest later down the line.
    Sadfistaustinmaw
  • turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    This game is really not interesting me at all. Gonna take a pass.

T
    meddyckSadfistSamhaelHarikenaustinmaw
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    I stopped reading at the land claim part of the article. As Atlas has shown, land claim system can be a plague and abused massively separating the player base. I hope they have some ways to counter land claiming especially with their infinite land claims they have, according to the article. Not good, no bueno.
    MadFrenchieKyleranAsm0deusinfomatzHarikenaustinmaw
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well the time to start saying seriously it's pass is when the get to beta and nothing much changes in the game, ie.. story, goals, etc..
    Alomaraustinmaw
  • Aegrin56Aegrin56 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Every single comment I've read here makes me want to call you all fools. Especially

DMKano said:

Hate to say this but they should seriously consider turning it into a battle royale game.

New World is a very promising mmo with an interesting premise. They are currently filling the game out which is why it feels so empty but even so the base skeleton of an amazing mmo is there. I hate to sound like such an asshole but the ridiculous negative and overall stupid nature of the criticisms of this game leave me to wonder how the hell MMOs can survive customers like you all.
    anxelesaxeAlomarHatefullStrizzy12Kinringtweedledumb99tadams2toneaustinmaw[Deleted User]
  • Aegrin56Aegrin56 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    The game is Beautiful, The Crafting System in Depth and the Combat fun. All of them can certainly be improved upon but for a true alpha not the paid alpha EA bullshit we get the game is coming along well.
    KinringHatefull
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

After playing the alpha myself, I found this article strange and confusing. I didn't find anything about it particularly noteworthy regarding the graphics, terrain, and environment. Running on the highest settings, it all felt very generic. I wasn't impressed.

It felt like another "sandbox" pvp grind game, basically a game without content, no missions, no story, no reason to do anything. You'll gather, craft and grind your way to a set of clothes and weapons so you can then continue to grind the next set that's slightly better. Felt like Albion online. The gather and craft mechanics were really boring and mindless activities.

In all fairness the author was given a premade, top level, fully geared character, taken on a guided tour and told to "have fun" which I would probably enjoy as well.

I suspect even the survival requirement were taken care of with full supplies on each avatar.

No real mention of actually crafting anything or "punching bushes."

:D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CayllCayll Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I am quite intrigued by the claim capture system, it sounds like it removes the option for offline raiding and forces people to actually fight a gentleman's war, which is very interesting. So far it sounds like it's found a few fixes for the classic survival issues. Looking forward to it.
    AlomarHatefull
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Gee another survival game.....I'll pass.
    AlomarAsm0deus
  • anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Ling story short, if you didnt like Shadowbane, Ultima Online T2A, Darkfall or Star Wars Galaxies, you wont like this game and should probably just move on.

There is a very large group of gamers waiting for a game exactly like what Amazon is building here. There are plenty of other PvE/story based games for everyone else to choose from.
    Kinring
  • WinnTechWinnTech Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I played this for a while. I enjoyed the ambiance and PVE, but there is a massive lack of things to do if you don't PVP. Crafting gets old after a while, not really a challenge. It's a beautiful game, just boring. They need to add in much more to keep it interesting.
    [Deleted User]KyleranAsm0deusStrizzy12infomatz

WinnTech

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I like everything about this, save the open world free for all PvP. I have a job and kids and house and wife to manage, so there will always be players with more/better weapons and armor and skill points than me. Why should I be the fodder of sociopaths while I’m having fun exploring and crafting? Nope. Pass.

Add a PvE server and I’m in.
    MensurAsm0deusangerbeaverinfomatzRhiow-Darkstep[Deleted User]
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I've read a few articles from the different sites on this event, maybe not all of them. And, my IMPRESSION can be said much more succinctly; prepare to sign up for a new job, or prepare to be content for another player, or go the frack home. Casuals, you have been warned.
    Alomar
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    As was said along side them announcing this title and their 2 others, these games are designed with twitch in mind first and foremost, so if you were hoping for a 'true' mmo'rpg,' that was never going to be in the cards.
    [Deleted User]
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

MMORPGs should feel generic. That's the point of it. What makes the world less generic are the people and the interactions between them. The obsessions with graphics and making things look or feel awesome is what led to a train of games failing.

Choose your priorities. Pick your poison.