Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Caspien tantrum about news coverage

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,983
    AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

Second.  Design choices.  The only thing locking SBS/Caspien into any design choice is Caspien's own stubbornness.  He made wild claims about features of his game, and is discovering that these features may not be feasible.  He is driving on towards the cliff, despite numerous warning signs that suggest an alternate ways down.  It wasn't his original plan and he doesn't give credence to the warnings or suggestions because others told him that first.  This seems to clearly be an ego issue.  He made promises.  People criticized promises.  He thinks, "I'll show them!", and continues down the original path just to prove that his detractors were wrong.  He sees changing plans or cutting features as some kind of personal insult.  He'd lose face in his mind, and that isn't happening.

There's a chance that I'm misreading the situation based on information hidden behind some paywall.  But this is just me analyzing the personality behind the public events that have occurred / are occurring with CoE.

Not sure about that. They have sold a lot of stuff that rely on x, y, z feature which is what prohibits redesign.
    Prohibits redesign kind of like ElyriaMud(cancelled after lengthy development), or VoxElyria(cancelled after lengthy development) or SpatialOS, the foundation the game was built on... until it was dropped?

@mendel hit it on the head.  Caspien was told all these were a waste of resources and time but he stubbornly plowed forward.  Think of all the time wasted because of his ego.  It’s easy to waste other people’s money.

Hes now been reduced to occassionally shouting @all on Discord that the people with access to his single or double paywalled Early Access forums should go check out “the shiny”.  It’s so bush league it’s pathetic.  He can’t even deliver a blog update. He literally started talking about this Update Blog on Nov 5th. It’s now February.  Along the way he has blamed his vacation, and his team members...  but reality is that he once again has simply not delivered.   He hides behind the Early Access forum despite his Kickstarter PROMISE to provide regular progress updates on his website.  He needs to publish his schedule or he’s clearly in violation of the Kickstarter.  Last one was published July 2017 I believe.  That’s simply pathetic.

When someone like Tim mildly points this out, he throws a tantrum and takes his toys home. 
    This annoyed the hell out of me, I've plowed what to me was a large amount at the time into this (large amount of disposable cash).

Now I get told I'm no longer entitled to updates because it wasn't enough, but those that put less in and got a free count package get to see it... 
    Given the amount of money you out in, have you ever pointed out to him that he PROMISED on this Kickstarter to publish and Update his schedule on the CoE website?  I mean it’s right there on Kickstarter for all to read. And it’s not a Kickstarter requirement.  It’s what he personally decided to pledge to do for those giving money.

If not, why not?  Just wondering.

Probably because he isn't a member of the double top secret "Ivory Tower" club, riff-raff need not apply.
    craftseeker

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 10,707
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

Second.  Design choices.  The only thing locking SBS/Caspien into any design choice is Caspien's own stubbornness.  He made wild claims about features of his game, and is discovering that these features may not be feasible.  He is driving on towards the cliff, despite numerous warning signs that suggest an alternate ways down.  It wasn't his original plan and he doesn't give credence to the warnings or suggestions because others told him that first.  This seems to clearly be an ego issue.  He made promises.  People criticized promises.  He thinks, "I'll show them!", and continues down the original path just to prove that his detractors were wrong.  He sees changing plans or cutting features as some kind of personal insult.  He'd lose face in his mind, and that isn't happening.

There's a chance that I'm misreading the situation based on information hidden behind some paywall.  But this is just me analyzing the personality behind the public events that have occurred / are occurring with CoE.

Not sure about that. They have sold a lot of stuff that rely on x, y, z feature which is what prohibits redesign.
    Prohibits redesign kind of like ElyriaMud(cancelled after lengthy development), or VoxElyria(cancelled after lengthy development) or SpatialOS, the foundation the game was built on... until it was dropped?

@mendel hit it on the head.  Caspien was told all these were a waste of resources and time but he stubbornly plowed forward.  Think of all the time wasted because of his ego.  It’s easy to waste other people’s money.

Hes now been reduced to occassionally shouting @all on Discord that the people with access to his single or double paywalled Early Access forums should go check out “the shiny”.  It’s so bush league it’s pathetic.  He can’t even deliver a blog update. He literally started talking about this Update Blog on Nov 5th. It’s now February.  Along the way he has blamed his vacation, and his team members...  but reality is that he once again has simply not delivered.   He hides behind the Early Access forum despite his Kickstarter PROMISE to provide regular progress updates on his website.  He needs to publish his schedule or he’s clearly in violation of the Kickstarter.  Last one was published July 2017 I believe.  That’s simply pathetic.

When someone like Tim mildly points this out, he throws a tantrum and takes his toys home. 
    This annoyed the hell out of me, I've plowed what to me was a large amount at the time into this (large amount of disposable cash).

Now I get told I'm no longer entitled to updates because it wasn't enough, but those that put less in and got a free count package get to see it... 
    Given the amount of money you out in, have you ever pointed out to him that he PROMISED on this Kickstarter to publish and Update his schedule on the CoE website?  I mean it’s right there on Kickstarter for all to read. And it’s not a Kickstarter requirement.  It’s what he personally decided to pledge to do for those giving money.

Probably because he isn't a member of the double top secret "Ivory Tower" club, riff-raff need not apply.
    All it would take is a post on their forums with a screen of the promise from Kickstarter and a link showing the last posted schedule was getting close to 2 years ago.  

I would honestly love love to hear Caspiens explanation on this.  Just last night he had another “Early Access” fiasco on his Discord after saying dumb shit like every time he gives info in the regular channel he “takes away from the XA community” (one of his 2 paywalled Access forums. This is what he calls the 10k one).

When someone had the audacity to complain about getting pelted with “Go check Early Access” messages and another asked him to stop with the sass, Caspiens response was”sorry man. I’m in zero shits given mode”

Another great example.  Someone needs to point out publicly his promise to publish and update the schedule and not let him hide behind his paywalls and NDAs.

Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 255
    True, but no one bought ElyriaMud as an item. Maybe they bought access in the packages but that probably falls under general Alpha access. I see your point though.

The key issue is Caspien is now in crunch time when the real innovation has to be proven and technically they are stalling. He struggling to find a solution. This is why he is getting more and more aggro in public. The stress is telling because he knows the plan is not coming together.
    Slapshot1188Kylerantweedledumb99Sabrac
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Mendel said:

Yes, they have sold a lot of stuff.  However, the features that were promised to use the specific items could easily change.  The features are merely promises, words on a page, at this stage.  There appears to be nothing about this project that is written in stone.

Yeah they are in a hard place. I am just worried that it is the character persistence that is the problem and everything else rests on that. They literally cannot cut that as a feature.
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    Kyleran said:
    AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

All it would take is a post on their forums with a screen of the promise from Kickstarter and a link showing the last posted schedule was getting close to 2 years ago.  

I would honestly love love to hear Caspiens explanation on this.  Just last night he had another “Early Access” fiasco on his Discord after saying dumb shit like every time he gives info in the regular channel he “takes away from the XA community” (one of his 2 paywalled Access forums. This is what he calls the 10k one).

When someone had the audacity to complain about getting pelted with “Go check Early Access” messages and another asked him to stop with the sass, Caspiens response was”sorry man. I’m in zero shits given mode”

Another great example.  Someone needs to point out publicly his promise to publish and update the schedule and not let him hide behind his paywalls and NDAs.

I in no way mean this as a joke but the guy is spiraling out of control.

They are going to find him hanging from the ceiling fan in his basement at this rate which the cracks of stress are definitely showing.

He would likely feel better and have some goodwill created if he was just honest.  Publishers would not touch this and investors are not lining up at the door so he has to be running on fumes for cash  flow at this point.  I think someone in this thread showed they made 160k or something like that in a couple of months but that is chump change when you are running a studio and paying folks and the bills.

Not a fan of SoL but renfail and the group have at least a practical approach to development on a thin budget.
    GdemamiArterius
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member UncommonPosts: 374
    AnOldFart said:
    Mendel said:

Yes I have and I did again this morning...

What I got was a mod telling me not to ping staff and wait for official announcements
    Dakeru
    Turns out Caspian may have been listening to my moaning, he now has a seperate channel for early access notifications...

Still doesn't stop me being pissed off about no new updates... 
    Gdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 168
    What happened to this state of elyria/0.5.0 update? Seeing some DJ come out and it's just a lore post.. what the? Unless people have asked them on discord, seems like it's just been forgotten about. I also thought they would have said something about DSS (domain and settlement selection). Since that was teased to be dropping in december on discord, but pushed back cause of the holidays. Which did make sense at least. Which again, nothing said. 

I once again wonder why they bother teasing anyone about anything on discord. They soon just burn enough people, that they be put off the game all together. Which even the more loyal fans will soon be pissed off enough. I'm reaching the point of, something has to give. Should at least have Pre-Elyria by now. At this rate. CoE will get the Star Citizen rep of "Oh my grandkids will play it". But CoE will get "my grandkids will be able to play alpha 1 at least".
    AnOldFartGdemami
    Well a few days ago Caspien was talking about how shocked he was that they were working on 0.5 for 4 months and that he had lost track of time and thought it was only 2 months...

Great quality for a project manager... but it explains a lot.
    TorrskwingoodStrizzy12

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Starvault's reponse to criticism related to having a handful of players as the official "test" team for a supposed MMO: "We've just have another 10ish folk kind enough to voulenteer added tot the test team" (SIC) This explains much about the state of the game :-)

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

My ignore list finally has one occupant after 12 years. I am the strongest supporter of free speech on here, but free speech does not mean forced listening. Have fun my friend. Hope you find a new stalking target.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 32,983
    Well a few days ago Caspien was talking about how shocked he was that they were working on 0.5 for 4 months and that he had lost track of time and thought it was only 2 months...

Well, when one is roleplaying (a developer) things like that can happen. 

;)
    parrotpholkSlapshot1188AnOldFartStrizzy12

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

;)
    Aren’t project Gantt charts meant to help you track time and progress?
    Then again, as he pointed out we haven’t seen his so maybe his show something else.

• RegnorRegnor Member UncommonPosts: 108
    SBFord said:
    Get out in that sunshine, folks...unless you're anywhere in the polar vortex, that is... D:
    Sunshine?? I remember that, we saw it sometime last year ...

- From the polar vortex that is snow-buried Seattle
    Interitus

Men do not stop playing because they grow old. They grow old because they stop playing. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes

I find it more interesting that he admitted to losing track of time. But a small patch/sprint going for 4 months seems pretty dam insane. At that rate alpha 1 won't come out for another 2 years, if not longer. I should probably stop expecting things to happen. Would have assumed at least alpha 1 would start this year. 

Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,065
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Aren’t project Gantt charts meant to help you track time and progress?
    Then again, as he pointed out we haven’t seen his so maybe his show something else.
    Crayons?

Slapshot1188AnOldFart

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Well my "Coe" Community have now had enough, I was discussing with one of our "counts" and he is fed up too.
    As for our group founder, damn should have heard his rant. But then again it was all factual and the stuff that annoys me.

From the pre-kickstarter lies of it being low fantasy with lots of great features...
    To the kickstarter lies about time line and stuff.
    The tipping point for him was the "fantasy" races in a game that is again low fantasy.

If refunds appeared I would be the first one jn line, I would bet they would lose around 1/4 of their funds in refunds... 
    DakeruMendeltweedledumb99Gdemami
  • parrotpholkparrotpholk Member EpicPosts: 4,602
    AnOldFart said:
    Well my "Coe" Community have now had enough, I was discussing with one of our "counts" and he is fed up too.
    As for our group founder, damn should have heard his rant. But then again it was all factual and the stuff that annoys me.

From the pre-kickstarter lies of it being low fantasy with lots of great features...
    The tipping point for him was the "fantasy" races in a game that is again low fantasy.

If refunds appeared I would be the first one jn line, I would bet they would lose around 1/4 of their funds in refunds... 
    I would bet your whole groups refund money that they do not have the funds to do refunds.
    AnOldFartKyleran
    AnOldFart said:

Ouch.  I heard that one of the "kings" that put down $10k for his kingdom (plus who knows what since) dropped from the game and that's why they had that silly event a few months back to assign it to someone else.

Wonder if he got his money back... otherwise, what do they do if he pops back in somewhere along the line?

tweedledumb99wingood

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,065
    AnOldFart said:

Ouch.  I heard that one of the "kings" that put down $10k for his kingdom (plus who knows what since) dropped from the game and that's why they had that silly event a few months back to assign it to someone else.

Wonder if he got his money back... otherwise, what do they do if he pops back in somewhere along the line?

Do you honestly believe that SBS has thought about things like customer lapses due to disinterest, extended holidays or medical care?  What about their characters and purchased items.  Somebody (specifically that 'king') paid for something and now has lost it.  Was there a refund involved?  My guess is not.

The incident with the kingdom being reassigned pretty much flies in the face that you can lose anything in-game; you can also lose it out-of-game.

tweedledumb99Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

AnOldFart said:

I hadn't heard that, to my knowledge the ones that were left weren't purchased,but then I am not following it much any more... 

AnOldFart said:

I would bet your whole groups refund money that they do not have the funds to do refunds.
    I'm sometimes wasteful with my cash but even I can see this is not a good bet... 
    GdemamiparrotpholkMendel

There is more to that story, as you may or may not know. At the start you could sell your account, it didn't break any rules (something that has been since added in). So there was an Aussie KS king. At some given point he sold his account, for how much I have no idea to another guy, for whatever reason many months later SBS didn't like that he did that. It was weird, while the king that brought the account (redskull) wasn't really active, which not like he was the only king not active. He was active at the time when SBS took his kingship away or at least his discord was. If it was the same guy, I have zero idea.

Now I have no idea if redskull just didn't want king anymore. Or if SBS really didn't like that he got it by buying the account. But not like he was the only one that brought an account either. But seems unless he got a refund, why give up king title. He just waste god knows how much money to have nothing. The whole thing was very weird and happened very suddenly, seemly no one knew that this was coming.

A funny thing about the Aussie KS king, he now has another account. He is a double duke. So he has spent at least 20k on the game. Why the hell he sold his account, to then spend another 10k is utterly beyond me. Could have kept his king account and if he didn't want to stay king, it turns into a double duchy. Clearly someone with way too much money to throw around.
    AnOldFartMadFrenchieKyleranDakeruSlapshot1188parrotpholkMendeltweedledumb99ArteriusStrizzy12
    Another month another store event. I wish they would release everything else the same way. It just appearing one day. Not hyped up for months beforehand. That way people wouldn't know if it's late or not. If anything it feels like it should be the opposite. Hype up store events, so they get more money. Making them interesting would be of course nice as well.
    Torrsk said:
    Another month another store event. I wish they would release everything else the same way. It just appearing one day. Not hyped up for months beforehand. That way people wouldn't know if it's late or not. If anything it feels like it should be the opposite. Hype up store events, so they get more money. Making them interesting would be of course nice as well.
    Actually...https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/28673/Official-Calendar-of-Promotions-Events

They actually did publish their calendar of Promotions and Events.  The sales are literally the only deadlines I have ever seen them hit.  Somehow his Gantt charts work for those, but not anything else.
    KyleranAnOldFart

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,800
    Caspian meltdown for anybody who didn't get to witness it.
    tweedledumb99
    Raging Demons for all flowchart "Kens". This is a metaphor.
    Actually...https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/28673/Official-Calendar-of-Promotions-Events

They actually did publish their calendar of Promotions and Events.  The sales are literally the only deadlines I have ever seen them hit.  Somehow his Gantt charts work for those, but not anything else.

Oh, I somehow forgot about that. Well at least they can hit something haha. Makes me wonder if there really is a game being worked on. It reminds me of some EA games. Keeping the hype going like they are still working on the game, but it's all a giant lie. 

While I get they need money, who would even be giving them money. At a monthly rate as well. When they have next to nothing to show. I suppose the saying, a sucker is born every minute, is good to use here. 
  • tweedledumb99tweedledumb99 Member UncommonPosts: 231
    So, I haven't read every post in this thread, but: did CoE's lead decide to cut off MMORPG.com from access to their game because this website doesn't actively censor the community's negative opinions about CoE?

Cause Tim's article isn't scathing or insulting or saying anything beyond what seems to be plainly there for any observer, so it just seems too weird that his article is the reason they're mad.

Cutting off access for not censoring angry fans seems remarkably thin skinned. Cutting off coverage because of Tim's article seems stupid.

Gdemami