Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Within 72-Hours, Apex Legends Sees 10M Unique Players & Over 1M Concurrent - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWithin 72-Hours, Apex Legends Sees 10M Unique Players & Over 1M Concurrent - MMORPG.com

Apex Legends has exceeded everyone's expectations mere days after being both announced and launched. Within the game's first 72-hours, it managed to hit two huge milestones: Over 10M unique players have taken part and for a time over 1M players were on board concurrently. Respawn's Vince Zampella wrote a brief note to players on the game's site that announced the big numbers and thanked the community for its support.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    A challenger to the Fortnite throne?
  • DivyneDivyne Member UncommonPosts: 37

Forgrimm said:

I think its definitely going to give Fortnite a run for its money. Thats a good thing though, competition is good. Im also very glad to see so many people enjoying a new game for once. All ive seen are good things about this game ( BR games are not my thing ) so whatever they are doing, keep it up!
    Octagon7711AlmostLancelotCelciusrojoArcueidTacticalZombehGorweThahar
  • Ricardo5802Ricardo5802 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Forgrimm said:

For people who just want to gear up and get into the fight without dealing with the building BS from fortnite, sure seem that way
    mcrippinssakinolNarmorThaharOctagon7711AlmostLancelotCelciusTacticalZombehTezcatlapocca
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Spoke with my brother, who plays Fortnite actively.  He was one of those 10 million, but has indicated he doesn't plan on replacing Fortnite with this yesterday. 

Anecdotal, but I don't have another real life friend/family member who plays Fortnite, so that's about the only hands on opinion I can get from someone other than gaming media.
    Octagon7711

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Tried it last night. Rather play Borderlands tbh.
    Narmor

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Spoke with my brother, who plays Fortnite actively.  He was one of those 10 million, but has indicated he doesn't plan on replacing Fortnite with this yesterday. 

Anecdotal, but I don't have another real life friend/family member who plays Fortnite, so that's about the only hands on opinion I can get from someone other than gaming media.

That was my first thought, there are probably a lot of fortnight players who tried this. Whether they stay or not is another thing.
    TacticalZombehMadFrenchie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    What really makes me laugh is that:

1) The game is published by EA
    And
    2) It has loot boxes

The two things that were such a huge shit-show the for past 2ish years that everyone essentially boycotted them. Now they made this and everyone seem to forgot about those two factors.

Lol.. gaming community, is no wonder EA can get away from all the garbage they do.
    Ricardo5802Panserbjorne39GdemamiPortzSolancer
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    I definitely like it more than Fortnite (by a long shot) and it is a lot, LOT less janky than PUBG - but it's hard not to love on PUBG in some ways because of the jankiness.

I'm not super big into BR, but I do like Apex. I'm just not very good at it!

Still, I think they need to introduce more Legends ASAP. 8 or whatever they have are OK, none of them I'm really a big fan of like - yep, this is my dude/gal.

Apex definitely does a lot of quality of life features super, super well.

1. Skilled play/process to revive dead teammates
    2. Auto switch weapon attachments when possible
    3. Prevent looting worse items
    4. Simple call-out contextual button
    5. Squad controlled drops

Then throw in the great Titanfall guns and some of the Titanfall pilot agile movement, though I do miss the wall running and such. 

Also seems to perform very well, quick loading, great in game performance, really well put together.

Definitely a big win for Respawn and we'll see how much $ it starts rolling in once they get the seasons and cosmetic shop really going.
    SBFordOctagon7711Xingbairong
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Sovrath said:

That was my first thought, there are probably a lot of fortnight players who tried this. Whether they stay or not is another thing.
    I can understand why.

Fortnite gets constant updates keeping it "fresh". If this, or any other BR game wants to compete, they can't take it easy.
    SovrathMadFrenchieOctagon7711TacticalZombeh

• 6stack_Chris6stack_Chris Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Good on them, keep BR modes fresh!
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

And
    2) It has loot boxes

The two things that were such a huge shit-show the for past 2ish years that everyone essentially boycotted them. Now they made this and everyone seem to forgot about those two factors.

Lol.. gaming community, is no wonder EA can get away from all the garbage they do.
    If you think the cash shop and boxes in Apex are anything like what they did with Battlefront II or Fifa then you really need to go learn your stuff before making posts like this. Seriously, I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you because I can't be bothered but they are not the same and you are making sweeping comments about something you don't understand.
    NephethThaharGdemamiSolancer
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

And
    2) It has loot boxes

If you think the cash shop and boxes in Apex are anything like what they did with Battlefront II or Fifa then you really need to go learn your stuff before making posts like this. Seriously, I'm not even going to bother explaining it to you because I can't be bothered but they are not the same and you are making sweeping comments about something you don't understand.
    Not to mention it's free to play unlike those other games.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

And

2) It has loot boxes

More than likely it's just a small vocal group of people who get this attention.

They cause a bit of a ruckus, news media picks it up, it gets inflated and suddenly it seems "a thing."

Yet, I bet a good many people never really cared. Oh, not saying they love lootboxes but they probably don't go rushing to forums to express their displeasure as well as they displeasure of the entire gaming community. Whether the community feels the same or not.
    halfmysticGdemamiSolancer
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

And

2) It has loot boxes

What don't I understand about this? If you can't be bothered to explain your position, then why post at all? Forums are for public opinion, not airheaded nonsense like that.

Besides, I never said it was like BF2 or Fifa. I know exactly what it's like in those games, still doesn't take away from the fact that it has loot boxes.

Trying to change the definition of that as well?

People like you jumping down someone's throat for pointing out obvious facts is what's wrong with gaming today. Check your rabid, mouth-foaming fanboism at login screen to the forum and think a little more rationally.
    mmoloupwnasaurusThaharGdemamiTheDarkrayneSolancerWaan

Sovrath said:

And

2) It has loot boxes

More than likely it's just a small vocal group of people who get this attention.

They cause a bit of a ruckus, news media picks it up, it gets inflated and suddenly it seems "a thing."

Yet, I bet a good many people never really cared. Oh, not saying they love lootboxes but they probably don't go rushing to forums to express their displeasure as well as they displeasure of the entire gaming community. Whether the community feels the same or not.

That might possibly be true. Loud minorities often over-ride and over-bloat stuff like this. Good thought.
    Gdemami
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    The World: I will never play an EA game ever ever again.

1 day later...

The World: Apex Legends is the best game of all time!
    AlomarPanserbjorne39Octagon7711
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Great game. Well deserved

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

And

2) It has loot boxes

What don't I understand about this? If you can't be bothered to explain your position, then why post at all? Forums are for public opinion, not airheaded nonsense like that.

Besides, I never said it was like BF2 or Fifa. I know exactly what it's like in those games, still doesn't take away from the fact that it has loot boxes.

Trying to change the definition of that as well?

People like you jumping down someone's throat for pointing out obvious facts is what's wrong with gaming today. Check your rabid, mouth-foaming fanboism at login screen to the forum and think a little more rationally.
    I think they are just saying that there is a difference between cosmetic lootboxes being the only form of monetization (other than purchasing characters, but they aren't all that hard to earn). 

There's a major difference between power being in loot boxes in full priced games (IE Starwars, Need for speed, fifa) and only cosmetics in a F2P game. 

Loot boxes suck in full priced games, or when there is any form of gear or power in them. But in an F2P game, with nothing but cosmetics in the loot boxes, it's not a big deal. Just a way to get money from people who care about that kind of thing. 
    GdemamiSolancer
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Forgrimm said:
    Its new, its free to play, let's see how the population is in six months and then judge its success.
    That's been my thoughts since the announcement of the game.

These boasts are exactly the same kinda thing we saw with multiple MMORPGs trying to compete with WoW during its heyday.  Players were willing to try these new MMORPGs in droves, it was the staying that those new titles couldn't achieve.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

And

2) It has loot boxes

Tbf, anyone who claims to boycott EA is probably full of crap. They will still buy the next Dragon Age. Loot boxes are only bad when done poorly, they aren't done poorly in this game. (As in, you don't need to buy any but can still earn what is in them at a reasonable pace)

You aren't wrong though, its kind of like how people will still buy games on the Epic Store when they claim to be boycotting it.
    Gdemami
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    I don't have any problems with loot boxes. Literally got a legendary skin on the 2nd loot box(2nd time I leveled up).

I do however don't like that there isn't solo and I agree that the "legends" are too limited. They need to add a good 10 more to make it feel diverse.

In my opinion the reason the game is doing that good is because it's really newb friendly compared to Fornite. Fortnite building can be really hard for most people.
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 371
    From Summit's rant on fortnite:  "The amount of times I would have to bail on aiming in general just to build hurts my soul."  I think that's why it's getting so much rapid traction.  A lot of time you end up sacrificing trying to be a good shot just to build staircase after staircase ontop of other people; probably wore thin on a lot of people.  You don't have to deal with that pretentiousness in apex and can just shoot guns, which for the streamers who didn't quit Fortnite probably means they just got a game to supplement their daily fortnite grind since they can now alternate between gunplay and building instead of getting burnt out on fortnite by playing it for eight hours straight.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Check your rabid, mouth-foaming fanboism at login screen to the forum and think a little more rationally.
    Played about 5 matches then uninstalled it. I don't like Battle Royale games. See how you have a habit of saying things when really you don't have a clue what you're talking about?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Nothing special about this game, probably gonna check it out from time to time, but not gonna buy anything.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    I've yet to find a BR game I actually liked, until I played Apex Legends.
    Playing it daily now and thoroughly enjoying it.

Fast games, tactical, hero skills don't override the game's main focus which is gunplay, intuitive sound and colour indicators.
    Also the ping system is a work of genius.

I'm astonished they managed to release something this polished with zero marketing.
    The popularity of the game is well deserved.
    Waan

..Cake..