Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is killing children in games taboo

13»

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    If only @TheScavengerwas around, he'd lose his shit on this thread. 

Im a pediatrician . . . Killings kids is bad, but i know the difference between pixels and real life.

You know what kills kid, collateral damage from bombs.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    Shit I forgot all about that one and I watched it. Well you do not see it very often. That shit was sad.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Killing babies has to be taboo somewhere, if it's not in society (anymore), at least we can escape to games where it's not allowed.
    [Deleted User]
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im a pediatrician . . . Killings kids is bad, but i know the difference between pixels and real life.

Osma Ben Laden and ISIS would disagree with you along with a few others.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Common sense.
    Scorchien
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    cheyane said:
    Common sense.
    right Cheyane , it a question that really does not to need to be asked ..
    Elsabolts said:

Yeah, every one is guilty to be honest with you. I was just pointing out that things we don't normally think of do it all the time. 

Look up "My Lai" massacre in Vietnam, pretty eye opening, don't look at the pictures though. 
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Common sense.
    More like common practice than common sense. The logical reasons seem to be based off placating the irrational.

Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Common sense.
    More like common practice than common sense. The logical reasons seem to be based off placating the irrational.

you turned purple !!!
    Elsabolts said:

Yeah, every one is guilty to be honest with you. I was just pointing out that things we don't normally think of do it all the time. 

Look up "My Lai" massacre in Vietnam, pretty eye opening, don't look at the pictures though. 
    Doesn't even count the deaths from being displaced and infrastructure being destroyed. It is a lot easier for people to compartimentalize the act of war against strangers/enemies far away. 
    Cryomatrix
    Scorchien said:
    cheyane said:
    Common sense.

you turned purple !!!
    I was hoping to go to plaid.
  • CayllCayll Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I can only answer this from my point of view. I work in video game development. In our games we shy away from this because it is extremely uncomfortable and undesirable to design these aspects of games. I am a father of 2. I don't want to watch my modelers, texture artists, and animators, and SFX engineers designing corpses, death animations, and sounds for dead children. There is way too much of that in the real world, it's something that everyone in our studio can agree that we don't want to make.

I get that there are political aspects and such, and it does filter into it to some degree, but the be all and end all is that we don't want to make it. It's not pleasant and it's harder to disconnect yourself from that.
    Vermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]Cryomatrix[Deleted User]
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    the mare fact that you are asking is very,, very disturbing.

lets put it this way. if you are not disgusted at the thought, there is most likely something very wrong with your head. i would venture borderline sociopath. 

AlmostLancelotVermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]

lets put it this way. if you are not disgusted at the thought, there is most likely something very wrong with your head. i would venture borderline sociopath. 

Lol nah it's not logical to allow genocide over killing a single child. 

Are you a sociopath for not feeling anything for killing thousands of NPCs over the years for loot and experience? I view it all as a game.  If killing a digital child is that morally awful and more than a game... shouldn't you feel something killing digital adults?  
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Don't hurt under age pixels!

Kill the adult ones by the tens of thousands, rob their dead bodies, desecrate their corpses and burn their village to the ground... that's a-okay and totally normal.  As a matter of fact, we'll even reward you for it.
    Vermillion_RaventhalBlaze_RockerAlBQuirky

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Nah dude, not at all. He is looking at it from an intellectual point of view. It is similar to people that study narcissism, sociopaths, why people join extremist groups, etc. 

I knew a guy in my training who was world famous for studying child abuse. It is really interesting to see what he thinks about child abuse. Put it this way, most people that abuse children aren't purely evil. Like most things in this world, it is multifactorial. 

Are there people that are pure evil that abuse children . . .yes. But in this guy's mind, most aren't. 

Also interestingly, physical child abuse is more likely in lower socioeconomic levels which kind of makes sense as a lot of physical abuse is influenced by stress + poor coping skills. However, child sexual abuse is equal among socioeconomic levels. 

Other interesting things are that most sexual abuse is done by family members, and the person who is most likely to murder you is your spouse :)
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Disgusting topic, IMO. There is nothing more precious than a child.

But to be on topic, the only time I've ever seen this was in Genesis' Techno Cop:

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Lol nah it's not logical to allow genocide over killing a single child. 

Are you a sociopath for not feeling anything for killing thousands of NPCs over the years for loot and experience? I view it all as a game.  If killing a digital child is that morally awful and more than a game... shouldn't you feel something killing digital adults?  
    that's EXACTLY how a sociopath views everything in life "its all just a game. nothing is real. people are just cardboard cut outs. " that's how they can do the most horrendous crimes and never feel remorse or empathy. they see nothing as real, people are just things to be used. nothing more. 

seriously dude. check yourself before you wreck yourself. read up on sociopath. this kind of rhetoric is sick and disturbing. 
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    Order 66
    Operation: Knightfall
    Natalie Portman gets upset
    We end up with crappier and crappier Star Wars movies.

Don't kill kids. Don't upset Natalie. Save Star Wars.

That's why
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Arterius said:
    WarWitch said:
    Why is killing children in RL ok? 

They are trying to pass a bill now In the USA to kill kids after they have been born. 

This is where it's legal to take a steel vacuum tube and put it inside the woman and tear the beating heart and head and limbs apart to fit inside the tube to suck it out of the woman.

Your question is interesting. Does it mean gaming devs are more responsible than our politicians?

I don't do politics on here usually. That was false though. I know that one lady did say that woman should be able to make that choice but no state ever passed that law or is trying to. IT would be shot down by just about everyone if they tried. Lets be honest here even if congress didn't step in Donald Trump, Mike Pence, Congrass, or the Supreme court would.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/new-york-abortion-poison/
    This maybe where that idea came from.  Read the clinical response part. Had nothing to do with the New York bill as far as I can see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial-Birth_Abortion_Ban_Act
  • VarossVaross Moderator UncommonPosts: 11,414
    This topic has veered into the political one too many times, and burst into random insults at others for posting in it one too many times.  Locking it down.
    [Deleted User]Scot
    To give feedback on moderation, please contact [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.