Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cleaver design in place of technical tools

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited February 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
This post was inspired by Darkfall Unholy Wars PvE 

Have you ever ran across a person thats truly amazing in a subtle way as appose to a showoff ?
Do you feel annoyed by a new acquaintance compelled to awe struck you with his talents to gain your acceptance ?

This is what modern mmorpg's do. 
They have to technically grab your attention with a dynamic event.  At startup, your xbox controller has to vibrate with a cataclysmic event.  Is this a way to grab a six year olds attention ?... Using obnoxious ?

Final Fantasy 14 by level two, you face frame rate drops because your facing 30 monsters on a single screen with exaggerated Asian cowboy music (riding the chukaboo bird mount thing).... What a rush ! 

First and second generations had none of that !..... The game play was subtle and long lasting with moments of adrenalin if you chose to search it out.  Play it your way.  Easy>Hard>Fast paced>Never leave town, pick one, your choice.  The player would have to be cleaver from level one.  You would line your self up with the single target and say, can I do this or go around and come back later. 

Darkfall Unholy Wars- I don't recall a single dynamic event or video, yet in the most subtle way a creature would lock it's eyes on to the player before attacking.  You would swear it was thinking.   

Why can't designers put effort in smart intelligence ?.... Turn a corner of a building and the creature looses site, maybe forget for a second ?......Natural, cleaver design.

I do know why !
Like the new acquaintance example above.  If not clear cut obnoxiously awe struck, the recipient my not catch onto their greatness. Therefore obnoxious behavior..... Much like my many many post :)

Irritating right ?  
Post edited by delete5230 on
mmolou

Comments

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Nothing you said has anything to do with a cleaver.
    MendelAmathe
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Your novelty wore off 10 years ago.

However, I expect 10 pages based on this tripe alone.

Nice job, honestly.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    You do realize Darkfall is a dead game.  Probably going to get shutdown soon.  While FF14 is one of the most popular mmorpg right now...

So your argument is very unconvincing.  
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    My favourite bit was "exaggerated Asian cowboy music" a whole new musical genre has been invented. :)
    Lokero[Deleted User]
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Scot said:
    My favourite bit was "exaggerated Asian cowboy music" a whole new musical genre has been invented. :)
    Lol, that's exactly what caught my eye too.  "Asian cowboy music??? Must know more!"  blueturtle is an Asian cowboy, maybe he knows something about this.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Lokero said:
    Scot said:
    Lol, that's exactly what caught my eye too.  "Asian cowboy music??? Must know more!"  blueturtle is an Asian cowboy, maybe he knows something about this.
    When you get on that Chukagoo mount thing or what ever it's called.
    Later after work I'll have to search the soundtrack :)
    AAAMEOW said:
    You do realize Darkfall is a dead game.  Probably going to get shutdown soon.  While FF14 is one of the most popular mmorpg right now...

So your argument is very unconvincing.  
    Thats because it's full PvP loot....Bad idea,

Guess you missed the point all together.
    Seems everyone likes the obnoxious vibrating xbox controller style of play.   
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Can you please change the title of the thread to say "Clever" instead of "Cleaver". The misspelling annoys the hell out of me. 

Also, per usual, I don't understand your post. So i'll respond in a nonsensical fashion . . . Subnautica is a damn good game. 
    MendelAmathe
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I don't think it is quite important in modern mmorpg.  Because all the interested pve content is in dungeon and raid.  And that is where people go to actually pve.

And if you actually make the open world pve hard... people complain.  I remember the first GW2 expansion...  People complain open world pve being too hard and people have a hard time leveling...
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

This is "Cleaver design".

Damn it, you beat me to it.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    DMKano said:
    I think most MMOs have gone the way of cleavage design 

3/10 on the joke. They can't all be 10's. Nice try, game over, insert a token to continue. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations.