Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Linda 'Brasse' Carlson Now Working with Visionary Realms on Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen

124»

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    From someone who witnessed the community in Archage, this is the worst move VR has made. Absolutely disaster train in my opinion, I can build a better community then this person and for half the salary.
    Enjoy your 20k a yr job then, it's a thankless, shit paying role.  Everyone thinks they can do it but when the shit hits the fan and you are called every name under the book, life threatened, job threatened.  At that point where do you really stand? This chick can take some shit, I bet most people would run away from.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Hashbrick said:
    From someone who witnessed the community in Archage, this is the worst move VR has made. Absolutely disaster train in my opinion, I can build a better community then this person and for half the salary.
    Enjoy your 20k a yr job then, it's a thankless, shit paying role.  Everyone thinks they can do it but when the shit hits the fan and you are called every name under the book, life threatened, job threatened.  At that point where do you really stand? This chick can take some shit, I bet most people would run away from.
    that 20k more then I make now. I've been around mmorpg.com long enough and have with stood most thing except that Bless giveaway (s.o.b.s lol ). I'm also probably one of the greatest trolls  in the world and understand the mind set and the tools to defuse  it.  I have a bachelors in interactive media which had a great deal of interpsersonal courses , logic and ethics. Give me the ball coach :D
    Well the troll thing is true, greatest is a stretch, but you got me with the join date already.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Torval said:

I'm stereotyping the community in general and not calling out any positive or negatives. It's the entire community, as a whole, that is rubbish. They're as much of a problem as Trion or XL ever was. They're frankly getting what they deserve and their petty personal shots at industry employees only reinforces my opinion.

Trion was at fault for creating and fostering that sort of environment and they eventually paid the ultimate price. Individuals in other companies should be judged by their actions there. Gamers who move onto other communities should be judged by their actions there. Trion and the AA community have already judged themselves and been judged.
    hmmm, I don't think that's fair to stereotype a community because some of the community is bad. But thanks for the clarity.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I was one of the SOE player volunteers. So I have some, albeit limited look into the community work at SOE.

I was running player events in EQ2. The rest of the time, it was my job to read design documents and news. I was then online on the server and could answer player questions, as long as the information was in the documents I read. This included stuff like future patch plans, expansion plans, game systems, etc.

What I can tell is for most staff, especially those in the community positions, making any sort of design decisions is not part of the job description at all. There were avenues to relay feedback, but that's about it. It's not a bad framework - it allows the community staff focus on making the player experience as friendly as possible.

Take something like a server merger for example. This gets decided somewhere high up, the community team probably has no say in this what so ever. It could be decided by the design team or someone close to the financial side - perhaps both jointly. The community people are explained the future changes. Their job is not to draft the design, their job is to help players be as comfortable with the change as possible.

If the server merger messes us the economy and leads to a more toxic community as a result, the community team is probably the least responsible staff group at SOE to blame.

SOE had the most helpful support staff I've ever seen. Interacting with support always sucks - it means you have a problem with the product in the first place. I had to use support about 5 times over the course of being a player. In all cases though, it was a stellar experience. Being a volunteer, we were treated incredibly well, with respect and an SOE staff member actually devoted one day of their week (Fridays) to our volunteer team. It was a perfectly nice work environment for us and I can't say a single bad thing about my time on the programme.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    edited November 2018
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:

I'm stereotyping the community in general and not calling out any positive or negatives. It's the entire community, as a whole, that is rubbish. They're as much of a problem as Trion or XL ever was. They're frankly getting what they deserve and their petty personal shots at industry employees only reinforces my opinion.

Trion was at fault for creating and fostering that sort of environment and they eventually paid the ultimate price. Individuals in other companies should be judged by their actions there. Gamers who move onto other communities should be judged by their actions there. Trion and the AA community have already judged themselves and been judged.
    hmmm, I don't think that's fair to stereotype a community because some of the community is bad. But thanks for the clarity.
    It really is fair. That doesn't mean every member acts this way, but they're part of the community so their lack of voice or unwillingness to change that perception puts them in the same bucket. Being in a community is a shared responsibility. You don't get to pick and choose the good parts and eschew the bad because "it's not fair".

If a community is bad, and you're a part of it, you either change the behavior, leave, or deal with the guilt by association. I don't think you are bad for being a part of that community, but I do think that you'll have to deal with the consequences for that association. Think of all the organizations and communities that are generally perceived as "bad". They could have good actors, but that doesn't change what that community is or others' perception of it.
    While that seems logical, I would offer that for most "stable/reasonable" people, they won't want to argue with internet trolls over a video game and will probably just remove themselves.

I imagine they could try to assert themselves and try to turn things around but does anyone really want that type of nonsense in their lives?

I'll add that I'm part of this community and try to be a part of it in as positive way as I can. But if this community became a cesspool of horrible people I'd just remove myself.

jimmywolf[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Well... certainly a blow for me. I was on the Archeage train when she came in, certainly that community was more voiced and in some eyes "shitty" but was because it was a heavy P2P community with a lot of F2P as well. When you have a game where people literally spent thousands of dollar per month you'll get people mad on a different scale than B2P. She did nothing to solve or communicate properly the issues on a large player base that was investing largely and monthly on the game, instead she did ban and lock threads left and right when we were asking for answers.

I do not see as a positive thing, and honestly you have to be careful with the staffing considering that this game is already on the edge of vaporware.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• PaladrinkPaladrink Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Paladrink said:
    Well... certainly a blow for me. I was on the Archeage train when she came in, certainly that community was more voiced and in some eyes "shitty" but was because it was a heavy P2P community with a lot of F2P as well. When you have a game where people literally spent thousands of dollar per month you'll get people mad on a different scale than B2P. She did nothing to solve or communicate properly the issues on a large player base that was investing largely and monthly on the game, instead she did ban and lock threads left and right when we were asking for answers.

I do not see as a positive thing, and honestly you have to be careful with the staffing considering that this game is already on the edge of vaporware.
    You know I'm going to say a community manager was far from the most important thing wrong with Archeage. Anyone gullible enough to spend thousands of dollars on a game that was an obvious train wreck and cash grab from day one has only themselves to blame.
    While i agree on that statement, there was still legit players who would try to trust the system. The train wreck was being seen on Russia Archeage by the time of the release but we were promised fixes and in fact they brought to speed the patches very close to Russia, the problem was that even so it was impossible to fix the game engine, as any IT guy you probably know there are technical aspects and programing that is hard to fix when you are not dealing with your own engine, that's when the community manager comes in. The cheaters were so bold there that they stayed and ruined the economy for months even when hundreds of  request for explanations were posted. If you have a proper community manager she would handle it with care and encourage communication as well as a positive feedback, instead she submerged on Trion dictatorship and started facing players instead of helping them. In my eyes if you have work ethics work both way and you try to achieve something good specially when you are dealing with masses. 

She should go for politics at this point i doubt that community management is where she could shine to be honest.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2018
    Actually Trion said they were patching the game to come up to standards for the NA market,that was their excuse for taking so long.Know what they were really doing,the language update and trying to agree on a publishing contract,it was NEVER about us the gamer aside being able to read the words in game.

IMO everything they said were lies,but also imo,this has VERY little to do with some CM lackey who really has no say in anything the dev or publisher have to say.She would have been taking orders like the rest of them.
    AA was struck down because it was a Korean developer,then again the better games are only slightly better.

Still to this day the ONLY game imo that has done anything to improve the genre since the inception of EQ  has been FFXI.Everything else is treadmills on rails,VERY linear games and with very similar game designs.Then if i want to consider SOE yet again,EQ2 was out first and EQ2 set the standard for linear questing mmorpg's and still to this day nobody has doen that better than SOE eiher,so we have been witnessing a ton of sub par mmopg's since 10-15 years ago.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• krymsontydekrymsontyde Member CommonPosts: 3
    She has a good personality and voice over is nice but for being in front of cam I think the job would be better for a real cosplay model. She was a good community leader except her tolerance was really really low in my opinion. I don't think community leaders should snap and tell their community to basic F off and go play another game..
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Paladrink said:

You know I'm going to say a community manager was far from the most important thing wrong with Archeage. Anyone gullible enough to spend thousands of dollars on a game that was an obvious train wreck and cash grab from day one has only themselves to blame.
    I wouldn't say day one since alpha was what we hoped for the game to stay and evolve from there, not devolve, in a lack of crafting mats who they fix was to buy from the cash shop the mats
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Wizardry said:
    EQ2 was out first and EQ2 set the standard for linear questing mmorpg's and still to this day nobody has doen that better than SOE eiher,so we have been witnessing a ton of sub par mmopg's since 10-15 years ago.
    World of Warcraft is what set the standard for linear questing mmorpg's. Everquest 2 came out 2 weeks before World of Warcraft and was never as popular.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Sovrath said:
    Wizardry said:
    EQ2 was out first and EQ2 set the standard for linear questing mmorpg's and still to this day nobody has doen that better than SOE eiher,so we have been witnessing a ton of sub par mmopg's since 10-15 years ago.
    World of Warcraft is what set the standard for linear questing mmorpg's. Everquest 2 came out 2 weeks before World of Warcraft and was never as popular.

Lol, that answer is just dumb. EQ2 did come out earlier, two weeks or not it was here with quest markers and the lot before WOW. 

That era of mmo's was dominated by EQ and a few other mmo's like ffxi to name but one. 

WOW didn't hit the big numbers for months until the BattleNet fans actually realised what the game was all about. It was the true mmo players that put WOW on the map. 

Them day's mmo gamers were seen as a niche player base. Don't get me wrong, blizzard tapped into that market and boy did they tap in but it didn't happen over night. 

WOW at it's birth wasn't an EQ1 but it wasn't the linear mmo it is today that's for sure.