Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Balance All That?

Comments

• WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    Peers back into the thread.  Sees you guys let him GroundHog Day you...

You guys were so close to breaking free at some points.  You can do it!
    Doesn't mean we cannot have a conversation.
    For example, what is the greatest imbalance you've encountered that was still fun?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

For example, what is the greatest imbalance you've encountered that was still fun?
    Without a doubt it was playing Hibernian on Palomides in DAOC.  I played the weakest character (spear hero) on the weakest realm. But beyond that I’d have to say Shadowbane.  We started the game not knowing much about it, and were getting destroyed by stealthed characters.   

So so we made an alt guild called Thieve’s Bane and made all Scouts.  Scouts could stealth but could also track people (including stealthed ones).  Our mission was to hunt down all Thieves.   It was pretty fun to pop out as a group and kill a Thief who was sitting undetected in the middle of a group stealing from them.

AlBQuirkyWargfootYV

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Controller Heroes in City of Heroes for me. Not for the impatient player. It took awhile to bring down "villains", but getting them to fight each other was awesome :)
    WargfootYV

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I enjoyed playing a Warg in LOTRO for quite some time.

The class could solo next to nothing (depending on game build) but I really enjoyed putting together a pack and ambushing players trying to escape larger battles that had gone bad.  The ability to murder someone and then slip into the shadows was beautiful.

Of course, you ended up being a totally trash player - locating the weakest/already wounded players and putting them down.  The Jackals of PvP preying on the young, the distracted, the half-dead.

At times a group of players would get annoyed with getting picked off like this and they'd form a hunting party that could be very difficult to escape.  If things went poorly you'd have 6 angry people standing around your corpse - it was a weird dynamic in that I couldn't solo a damn thing but it took 6 people to track me down and kill me.  

Those kinds of dynamics can be interesting.

Without a doubt it was playing Hibernian on Palomides in DAOC.  I played the weakest character (spear hero) on the weakest realm. But beyond that I’d have to say Shadowbane.  We started the game not knowing much about it, and were getting destroyed by stealthed characters.   

So so we made an alt guild called Thieve’s Bane and made all Scouts.  Scouts could stealth but could also track people (including stealthed ones).  Our mission was to hunt down all Thieves.   It was pretty fun to pop out as a group and kill a Thief who was sitting undetected in the middle of a group stealing from them.

Like you, in that particular game, the Hibs would be my first and only choice.
    I love playing on the trash side - mostly for the mindset of the people who are there.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Not going to play Ground Hog day with you. Just assume that my future posts in this thread are not addressed to you as they arent.  Enjoy Fortnite and Overwatch.  They are great games that millions like.
    Hey... welcome back Slap.. 

I have a novel idea.. how about you do what you say and say what you do? 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Ungood said:
    ultimateduck said:

OP: Why does Balance Matter.
    Ungood; Because Fair is Fun.
    You: Unfair is More Fun!
    Ungood: Do you have any proof of this?
    You: No, but I'm right and you're a stupid face.

That's kinda where we are at now.

I agree with this. 
    Of course you do, you said it. As we have all come to find out, you are right in your mind because you know it all... according to you.

Ungood said:
    Yup.. gonna agree with you.. when the fight does not feel fair, it just sucks the fun right out of the game.

Totally kills it.

Now here is my problem, I have a bunch of people saying (Paraphrased) "Totally unbalanced OP Bullshit is great for PvP if they call the game an MMO"

Maybe you can explain this one to me...  and how that works... because I am at a loss.
    Just because you don't understand the concept of what people are telling you, which clearly you don't, doesn't mean they are wrong.  It just means you aren't as smart as you think you are. 

Now go back to playing games that are simple enough for you to understand.
    Slapshot1188UngoodScorchien
    Wow.. after reading the last few posts.. This was supposed to highlight the positives?

And talk about how to enjoy unbalanced games, I can honestly say, this has made it even more clear why no one would actually want that kind of game or set up. I mean you all make it sound like these games are just breeding grounds for trolls and trash players.

I mean, Really? Playing a class were you are basically vultures preying in the weak and wounded, that's your market pitch to sell bad balanced games?

I mean, at least with the Shadowbane Scout idea, was a using a Rock-Paper-Scissors balance correctly, but, that was a Rock-Paper-Scissors Balance done correctly.. so.. that kinda sets the value of my point.. not any of yours.

Well that was enlightening.
    Slapshot1188
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    ultimateduck said:

OP: Why does Balance Matter.
    Ungood; Because Fair is Fun.
    You: Unfair is More Fun!
    Ungood: Do you have any proof of this?
    You: No, but I'm right and you're a stupid face.

That's kinda where we are at now.

I agree with this. 
    Of course you do, you said it. As we have all come to find out, you are right in your mind because you know it all... according to you.

Ungood said:
    Yup.. gonna agree with you.. when the fight does not feel fair, it just sucks the fun right out of the game.

Totally kills it.

Now here is my problem, I have a bunch of people saying (Paraphrased) "Totally unbalanced OP Bullshit is great for PvP if they call the game an MMO"

Maybe you can explain this one to me...  and how that works... because I am at a loss.
    Just because you don't understand the concept of what people are telling you, which clearly you don't, doesn't mean they are wrong.  It just means you aren't as smart as you think you are. 

Now go back to playing games that are simple enough for you to understand.
    Hey.. look at that.. a little motivation on my part to get you to use the Quote Function Correctly, and look at you.. a better poster already.

You can thank me, as if not for my inspiration, you would still be using the quote function incorrectly.

Ungood said:
    Wow.. after reading the last few posts.. This was supposed to highlight the positives?

And talk about how to enjoy unbalanced games, I can honestly say, this has made it even more clear why no one would actually want that kind of game or set up. I mean you all make it sound like these games are just breeding grounds for trolls and trash players.

I mean, Really? Playing a class were you are basically vultures preying in the weak and wounded, that's your market pitch to sell bad balanced games?

I mean, at least with the Shadowbane Scout idea, was a using a Rock-Paper-Scissors balance correctly, but, that was a Rock-Paper-Scissors Balance done correctly.. so.. that kinda sets the value of my point.. not any of yours.

*yawn*

I feel as if this troll attempt fails.
    I give it a 4/10.
    Slapshot1188EponyxDamorultimateduck
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ungood said:

Is that really fair to say? In an MMO, how does one balance the 4v1 gang-ups? They happen, no matter what kinds of balancing is tried.

Did you know some players don't play any game that is not on the hardest mode possible? That some players even enjoy (OMG!) taking a gimped character and succeeding with them? Some players even view "saving games" (save scumming) as cheating. It's called challenge. I'm not a rabid fan of it, but here is where I use the term "balance." Games are most fun for me when there is a "balance" between difficult  and easy.

"Balance" is an ever changing line drawn in the sand. 1v1 balance is NOT the same as 5v5 or 40v40 balance. Then you have PvPers (what I usually run into) that won't engage unless they have a definite advantage of any kind.

Remember, nobody said, "Balance is awful/EVIL!" Most here are speaking about MMOs, where each character is supposed to have differing strengths and weaknesses (aka: choices) for differing play styles, not any other genre :)
    WargfootYVScorchienultimateduck

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:

Remember, nobody said, "Balance is awful/EVIL!" Most here are speaking about MMOs, where each character is supposed to have differing strengths and weaknesses (aka: choices) for differing play styles, not any other genre :)
    This clarification has been made a dozen times.

I don't blame you for giving it another shot but you should expect a response something like this:

*derp* You think 100,000 players face rolling a lone player who just lost their internet connection is fun? *derp*

Brace yourself, a grotesque caricature of your position is incoming.
    ultimateduck
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    AlBQuirky said:

I don't blame you for giving it another shot but you should expect a response something like this:

*derp* You think 100,000 players face rolling a lone player who just lost their internet connection is fun? *derp*

Its a good post AlbQuirky , and has been mentioned before ..

But Wargfoot is right , and i think the we all need to ignore the troll at this point and let the thread die

EponyxDamorSlapshot1188WargfootYV
    edited February 2019
    Scorchien said:
    AlBQuirky said:

Its a good post AlbQuirky , and has been mentioned before ..

But Wargfoot is right , and i think the we all need to ignore the troll at this point and let the thread die

*derp* So you think it is okay to push old ladies into traffic as a form of PvP? *derp*
    Scorchien
    AlBQuirky said:
    Ungood said:

Is that really fair to say? In an MMO, how does one balance the 4v1 gang-ups? They happen, no matter what kinds of balancing is tried.

Did you know some players don't play any game that is not on the hardest mode possible? That some players even enjoy (OMG!) taking a gimped character and succeeding with them? Some players even view "saving games" (save scumming) as cheating. It's called challenge. I'm not a rabid fan of it, but here is where I use the term "balance." Games are most fun for me when there is a "balance" between difficult  and easy.

"Balance" is an ever changing line drawn in the sand. 1v1 balance is NOT the same as 5v5 or 40v40 balance. Then you have PvPers (what I usually run into) that won't engage unless they have a definite advantage of any kind.

Here is the thing. We start off with the basic idea that Fair is Fun.

Now there is only so many factors that a game company can apply to make the game fun in this regard.

For example, In a team based game, there is going to be a huge amount of inherent "Unfairness" and this will take the form of the tactics abilities and teamwork skills of each team, as well as the individual skills of each player. Now, a game really can't control these things, as that is part of the player themselves.

But even if they can't control some of those things, there are things the developer can and does have complete control over. Which is the game Environment, and ultimately the fairness of the "Puppet" (Build/Character).

So it would behoove them to try their best to build a sense of fairness for the things they can control, and allow the players to build the rest of the challenge for the teams they are on.

I get that in many cases it can depend on the game, like I would GW2 much more leniency with Balance issues in their PvP and RvR game modes, because they are predominately a PvE game with some PvP tacked on for the people that like that, their PvP and RvR feel like "Check Box" content. At the same time, say an upcoming game like Crowfall for example, where the game is being built from the ground up, and advertised  to be a Team vs Team game, as such their balance, whatever system they opt to use, should be spot on and feeling fair. 

In short, no. I don't give a free pass to a game, simply because they call themselves an MMO.

Why do you?

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Show me balanced pvp in an MMORPG with diverse classes (aka not the same thing reskinned).
    AlBQuirky
    Ungood said:

You're attempting to get everyone to agree to a general statement that on the surface seems obvious but actually contains your conclusion wrapped up inside of it.   This is how you've been 'resetting' the conversation - that is, to appear reasonable - only to immediately degrade into nonsense the moment you get someone on the hook.

So let's parse this one statement.

1: The term 'fair' here is overloaded with your idea of fair, but in fact, the word can have quite a broad range of meaning depending on the game mechanics.  For example: You've already defined fair as strictly 1:1 which leaves out all put the most shallow of game.

2: The term 'fun' here is overloaded with your idea of fun which based on your previous posts leaves no room for anyone else's idea of fun.  For example: What if I enjoy a challenge such that the odds are against me?  By your definition, as illustrated in previous posts, that isn't fair so it cannot possibly be fun.

Some people don't want a fair fight because they don't think it is fun.  Some people want a challenge or the ability to seek alternate routes to victory.

While the opening statement may be true for you (we have 100s of titles to choose from) it isn't a universal statement that is true by any stretch.  Your opening statement in this post is demonstrably false - no need to continue.

So no, you don't get to try to back pedal to something that seems reasonable on the surface when in reality you have overloaded the words with the conclusions you're attempting to prove.  That is a logical fallacy known as begging the question and you've been using it to troll this thread.
    Slapshot1188ScorchienultimateduckAlBQuirky
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    The wheels on the bus go round and round.... round and round... round and round...

ScorchienWargfootYVAlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ungood said:
    The sad reality is that if you want "balance" or "fair", then you are essentially going to have one class, one weapon, one spec.....just named different things to give the illusion of choice.
    This is is a blatant lie that people regurgitate.. but is every character in LoL the same? Is every Character in Overwatch the Same? 

Why do people cling to this falsehood when the truth is constantly and successfully staring them in the face?
    Overwatch characters aren't balanced for 1v1, and most are situationally more powerful than others.

Doomfist blows on the open, but get caught by him in a small room with four walls, and he'll one-shot half the cast.

I love how some poster said their comments where not going to be about me, and yet they are all about me. Someone needs to follow their own advice. Do what you Say, Say what you Do.. or shall they be starting their own Indie MMO soon as well?

Ungood said:

You're attempting to get everyone to agree to a general statement that on the surface seems obvious but actually contains your conclusion wrapped up inside of it.   This is how you've been 'resetting' the conversation - that is, to appear reasonable - only to immediately degrade into nonsense the moment you get someone on the hook.

So let's parse this one statement.

1: The term 'fair' here is overloaded with your idea of fair, but in fact, the word can have quite a broad range of meaning depending on the game mechanics.  For example: You've already defined fair as strictly 1:1 which leaves out all put the most shallow of game.

2: The term 'fun' here is overloaded with your idea of fun which based on your previous posts leaves no room for anyone else's idea of fun.  For example: What if I enjoy a challenge such that the odds are against me?  By your definition, as illustrated in previous posts, that isn't fair so it cannot possibly be fun.

Some people don't want a fair fight because they don't think it is fun.  Some people want a challenge or the ability to seek alternate routes to victory.

While the opening statement may be true for you (we have 100s of titles to choose from) it isn't a universal statement that is true by any stretch.  Your opening statement in this post is demonstrably false - no need to continue.

So no, you don't get to try to back pedal to something that seems reasonable on the surface when in reality you have overloaded the words with the conclusions you're attempting to prove.  That is a logical fallacy known as begging the question and you've been using it to troll this thread.
    You are free to step up and answer this.

Ungood said:
    So lets move on, How about as opposed to just disagreeing with me, we have a discussion, and you try to sway me to your stand.

So I'll ask you, please explain your stand and enlighten me as to why should a FPS or Battle Royal, need to worry about balance and an MMO should not.. when they are both PvP games?

Because, see for me, if the fight does not feel fair, it is not fun, and it does not suddenly become fun because I called the game an MMO, and bake a cake, and grind PvE content for several hundred hours for gear, so, I guess what I am asking is, why does it become fun for you?
    Balls in your court.

Ungood said:

So I'll ask you, please explain your stand and enlighten me as to why should a FPS or Battle Royal, need to worry about balance and an MMO should not.. when they are both PvP games?
    There you did it again.
    You took a statement such as "Is balance all that?" and replaced with a weird absolute "MMOs don't need to worry about balance."

Your questions aren't getting answered because they have nothing to do with what others are discussing.  Throwing up strawmen representations of other people's points isn't a discussion.

Ungood said:
    The sad reality is that if you want "balance" or "fair", then you are essentially going to have one class, one weapon, one spec.....just named different things to give the illusion of choice.
    This is is a blatant lie that people regurgitate.. but is every character in LoL the same? Is every Character in Overwatch the Same? 

Why do people cling to this falsehood when the truth is constantly and successfully staring them in the face?
    Overwatch characters aren't balanced for 1v1, and most are situationally more powerful than others.

Doomfist blows on the open, but get caught by him in a small room with four walls, and he'll one-shot half the cast.
    According to Uni-goober, that game isn't balanced.
    Why would you support an unbalanced game, Frenchie?

Are you a bad person in real life or do you just not like to have fun?
    ultimateduckMadFrenchie
    edited February 2019
    Ungood said:

There you did it again.
    You took a statement such as "Is balance all that?" and replaced with a weird absolute "MMOs don't need to worry about balance."

Your questions aren't getting answered because they have nothing to do with what others are discussing.  Throwing up strawmen representations of other people's points isn't a discussion.

lets try this again, as you not only dropped the ball, you tossed a Red Herring.

I'll make it easier for you.

Ungood said:

Because, see for me, if the fight does not feel fair, it is not fun, and it does not suddenly become fun because I called the game an MMO, and I can bake a cake and grind PvE content for several hundred hours for gear, so, I guess what I am asking is, why does it become fun for you?
    Can you even answer this one simple question?

Ungood said:

According to Uni-goober, that game isn't balanced.
    Why would you support an unbalanced game, Frenchie?

Are you a bad person in real life or do you just not like to have fun?
    Are we really going to devolve to name calling Wankerfoot?