Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheat Software Maker Found Guilty in Grand Theft Auto Online Case - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCheat Software Maker Found Guilty in Grand Theft Auto Online Case - MMORPG.com

A New York District Court has found Florida resident Jhonny Perez guilty of copyright infringement for developing "Elusive", a software exploit tool used in Grand Theft Auto Online. The Elusive program was sold in packages anywhere from $10-$30. The finding comes with a hefty price tag too. Perez ows Take-Two $150,000 plus $70,000 in attorney's fees. The defendant chose to avoid the legal proceeding which led to the court finding in Take-Two's favor.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    70k attorney fees... now that's BS number especially since he didn't go to court lol :P
    WhiskeydustWhiteLanternKylerankinkyJalepenospeedylegs8
  • WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Wow dude....you even law?
    KyleranSBFordAzaron_Nightblade
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311
    "Chose to avoid the legal proceeding". Meaning he decided to sleep-in on court day.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    "Chose to avoid the legal proceeding". Meaning he decided to sleep-in on court day.
    Probably fleeing to somewhere that doesn't extradite.
    SBFordPhry

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    I had an initial thought... but then reconsidered, but I will put it out for discussion:

Should he have to turn over records of who purchased this program?

My initial reaction was YES go get those cheating bastards (by banning them not arresting them)... but there are some pretty significant privacy concerns that cause me to reconsider.

Thoughts?
    Lastlaughlol

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Kyleran said:

Probably fleeing to somewhere that doesn't extradite.

would be cheaper.

or most likely they put the damn thing in another state and he didn't have a way to get there,
    but saying he disrrupt the careful balanced plan for the game is forced like hell
    BlueThunderBearAsm0deus
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    edited February 2019
    "We carefully balanced our game so as to force players to spend significant amounts of real life money in order to advance into the games actual systems and his program bypassed our greed."

Cause lets be real, Rockstar doesnt care about players being griefed by cheaters.
    Asm0deusPalebaneGdemami
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited February 2019
    Would be nice to have a little context on what the cheat does that could cost a company half a million dollars. I dont condone cheating or copyright infringement but can’t help raise an eyebrow without any context.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    70k attorney fees... now that's BS number especially since he didn't go to court lol :P
    If you lose, you often have to pay the attorney fees of whoever was sueing you as well as court fees  :p
    Azaron_Nightblade

Palebane said:

Would be nice to have a little context on what the cheat does that could cost a company half a million dollars. I dont condone cheating or copyright infringement but can’t help raise an eyebrow without any context.

One of the things it does it spawn money, which is something Rockstar charges real world cash for
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I had an initial thought... but then reconsidered, but I will put it out for discussion:

My initial reaction was YES go get those cheating bastards (by banning them not arresting them)... but there are some pretty significant privacy concerns that cause me to reconsider.

Thoughts?
    Part of me says hell yes, they should, sadly running software while breaking EULA's is likely not an actual criminal act, just seems like one ;)

Thoughts?

No, because cheating in a video game is in no way a crime and in most countries it would be a criminal/lawsuit worthy violation of privacy to release the private information of people who broke an EULA with Rockstar.
    Palebane

Phry said:

If you lose, you often have to pay the attorney fees of whoever was sueing you as well as court fees  :p

Yeah I'm aware of that. My point was that the amount of work they've put is probably worth about $500, but they are asking for 70k.
    Seeing that the guy "avoided" the proceeding my guess is that he put up no defense whatsoever, so realistically all the lawyers did was have their assistants write few pages of what their claims are.
    I highly doubt that they've spent 2-3 months having their whole firm work on this.

Gdemami
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205

Phry said:

Yeah I'm aware of that. My point was that the amount of work they've put is probably worth about $500, but they are asking for 70k.

Seeing that the guy "avoided" the proceeding my guess is that he put up no defense whatsoever, so realistically all the lawyers did was have their assistants write few pages of what their claims are.

I highly doubt that they've spent 2-3 months having their whole firm work on this.

Well, i'm not defending them but unless they hired psychic lawyers who knew he wasn't going to turn up, I'm guessing they created an entire legal arguement and stuff.
    KyleranPalebane
    edited February 2019

Erinak1 said:

Phry said:

Well, i'm not defending them but unless they hired psychic lawyers who knew he wasn't going to turn up, I'm guessing they created an entire legal arguement and stuff.

Yeah I get that.
    Generally big companies intimidate other people with their lawyer fees quite often. Some times people who are in the right and should by logic easily win a case would refuse to go to court, because on the off-chance they lose their lives might get ruined just trying to pay those lawyer fees.

Close friend of mine had legal reason to sue a certain company and if he did he would've probably gotten compensated about $2000, but he decided not to because after he checked he found out that if things somehow didn't go as they should he would've had to pay $11k in fees.

Generally I was laughing at the fact that big law firms are kinda scummy. That often times for barely doing anything they will ask ridiculous amounts.
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Thoughts?
    No, cheating in a game a game is not severe enough that officials should give Rockstar anyone's identity information.

I think it would be acceptable for someone to look at player records Rockstar already has, and mark down all the purchasers who are on that Rockstar's record for Rockstar to see, but only if it's done so that Rockstar does not get any additional identity information about anyone.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Someone once said that if you laid all of the lawyers in the world, end to end, on the equator... we'd all be better off.

Disgusting and arrogant people. Modern-day tax collectors.

People who write cheats for games are also disgusting. They kill it for everyone else... just to line their own pockets.
    KylerandoomexGdemami
  • PetuniaCatPetuniaCat Member CommonPosts: 1

Erinak1 said:

Phry said:

Yeah I get that.

Generally big companies intimidate other people with their lawyer fees quite often. Some times people who are in the right and should by logic easily win a case would refuse to go to court, because on the off-chance they lose their lives might get ruined just trying to pay those lawyer fees.

Close friend of mine had legal reason to sue a certain company and if he did he would've probably gotten compensated about $2000, but he decided not to because after he checked he found out that if things somehow didn't go as they should he would've had to pay $11k in fees.

Generally I was laughing at the fact that big law firms are kinda scummy. That often times for barely doing anything they will ask ridiculous amounts.

Just to clear up some misconceptions. I work at a big law firm in the United States.

Take Two's lawyers (Kirkland & Ellis) are highly regarded and extremely expensive. Some estimates put their rates between $500-1,700 per hour depending on the specific attorney.

The drafting of a complaint and a motion for default is time consuming and not 2-3 hours work. Each is likely several days of work for an associate and a few hours of work for a partner to review. In addition to the lawyers, you also have paralegals and support staff who review, format, proofread, and file the pleadings and motions with the court.

The fees the Court awarded in this case were discretionary. The Court likely awarded the full fees because Jhonny Perez failed to have any interaction with the court, e.g. file any motions or show up at any hearings.

Your friend could have filed in small claims court which (1) does not require a lawyer to appear on your behalf, and (2) covers requests up to $10,000 depending on the state. I have never seen attorneys fees awarded in a small claims court case.
    KyleranTacticalZombehGdemami
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Yeah because attorneys don't do hundreds of hours of leg work prior to ever setting foot in the courtroom on a case like this.

That's only about 175 hours of a low range high priced attorney's time, plus costs, travel, etc.  

• evolgrinzevolgrinz Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Of course, if Take-Two knew what they would be doing, they would have made the game properly without the ability to be hacked so easy. So I hope they use this money to work on that part.
    The cheaters/hackers is what eventually drove me away from GTA:Online, because almost every public lobby I walked into had a cheater/hacker ruining it for everyone.
    Gdemami
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Well that brightened up my morniong coffee, now demand the records of who used the program and drag them into court !!
    alkarionlog