Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars Complete Collection Arrives with a Large New QoL Update - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • Scraps_MacMuttScraps_MacMutt Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Pre-searing forever!

Pre-searing Ascalon is my favorite starter zone (especially the Northlands) of any MMO I've ever played.
    AmazingAveryBlueThunderBear
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I really enjoyed this game for about a year or a bit more. I thought this game however was operating in a type of maintenance mode with pre scheduled stuff in rotation only. Them moving onto GW2 & not focusing on GW anymore scenario. Besides for any new player I'm sure the economy inflation is insurmountable now.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    My first mmo and the only one i bought till this day.
  • snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Gw owns Gw2 imo

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Dived on in and made a Warrior/Necromancer and Im loving it. Game is exactly as I remember and pre-searing Ascalon is one of the best looking starting zones of any MMO. They just dont make games this way anymore.
  • azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332

koldmiser said:

Unless they added a way to jump no thanks! I loved the first one, but can't tell you how often I tried to jump over something.

Tried it twice years ago, lasted 5 minutes first try and about an hour the second - no jump = no play, sadly.
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    edited February 2019
    I don't really agree with all the people saying this was the best MMO ever, but to each their own. It was decent, but there was a reason why they moved away from this style of gameplay with Guild Wars 2. It's better.
    velimiriusexile01
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited February 2019
    I don't really agree with all the people saying this was the best MMO ever, but to each their own. It was decent, but there was a reason why they moved away from this style of gameplay with Guild Wars 2. It's better.
    There are certain things that Guild Wars 2 does better. Namely graphics, exploration, visual customization, content variety, traversal, story presentation, and dynamic content.

However, there are also things that Guild Wars 1 did far better than Guild Wars 2 has ever done. Build customization, skill diversity, buffs, debuffs, support, arena PvP, guild PvP, faction PvP, variety of PvP, purely horizontal progression, flexible difficulties, and a great many other qualities. Ignoring or writing these off is a mistake and the fact that so much of this game design was lost not only to the sequel but to the industry at large is a fucking travesty.
    exile01Anireth
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    edited February 2019
    Players can purchase it "up to nine times for $7.99 apiece"

......wut? So not only are they trying to make more money against from GW1 [while ironically doing everything possible since release to make GW2 as far away from it as possible], but they throw THAT ridiculous thing for $8?
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    loved it on release , played ranger mostly , loved it , until pop died down and u couldnt find ppl to do content , and the IA was "meh" at best. Later expansions were ok , Dervish was tons of fun
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    TBH I disagree and believe GW1 would do beter in todays market then it did back then when everyone wanted to be the next WoW. For example Path of Exile is a very similarly structured game to GW1 and it's very popular. Arena based pvp games are also more popular than ever before. 
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Gw1, daoc and shadowbane still offer the best pvp experience up this day.
    Zzad
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Asch126 said:

......wut? So not only are they trying to make more money against from GW1 [while ironically doing everything possible since release to make GW2 as far away from it as possible], but they throw THAT ridiculous thing for $8?
    It's just bank space... you have 8 character slots and tons of bank/bag space.. plus material storage. It's only an option for hardcore players. If you get to the point where you're running out of space then you're either keeping loads of junk and need to sort it out or the game deserves more money from you you because you've probably been playing it for 500+ hours.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Asch126 said:

It's just bank space... you have 8 character slots and tons of bank/bag space.. plus material storage. It's only an option for hardcore players. If you get to the point where you're running out of space then you're either keeping loads of junk and need to sort it out or the game deserves more money from you you because you've probably been playing it for 500+ hours.
    Right. It's not like GW2 where you're constantly opening bags and overflowing before you can even salvage.
  • X-ranfeX-ranfe Member UncommonPosts: 77
    Wow first game still alive.
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    It's unlikely i'll check it out again - i did everything there was to do, heck, even the various PvP modes. But even now, 15 years after it launched, there is nothing like it. Certainly not GW2.

And $40 does sound a bit high, especially if you still have to buy the bank slots etc. I think with GW2, Anet got greedy. Loot boxes, so much random stuff you don't know if you never need to fill up your bank slots, so you are inclined to buy more slots, having to shell out €40 for the game even when you own the base game, without any kind of compensation,. They talked about not wanting to split the player base and stuff, so you can only buy GW2 + addon, but now they offer the second addon seperately.

Not that others aren't also greedy, Blizzard still wanting you to pay for a race change etc. even if you bought each expansion at launch and paid 14 years of subscriptions etc. They could just limit it to a set amount of times per month or such, not like it costs them anything to do in the first place.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore