Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Devs Dish on Endgame in Gameplay Series, Part 2 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    aight, thx for the responses on Warframe
    [Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Developers are going to have to start learning how to handle difficulty without 100% relying on arbitrary number increases. The only games that should get away with doing that are those isometric ARPG games like Diablo 3, and Torchlight Frontiers.

I know it's still early but I played the Anthem demo on hard all the way through, and it wasn't hard in the sense of a "tough challenge, I should have done this instead" it was hard in a "WTF this doesn't add up" way. So it can't be compared to Dark Souls.

By the time the demo was about to end, I had all blue level 17-19 gear and entire groups (even those showing synergy) were having to empty all their skills, and reload their firearms for one Elite mob which there were large groups of. The only alternative was to pop ultimate move(s). Parties were running out of ammo, having to exploit mob leashes and other things to clear areas.

If bullet sponge/2 shot enemies is end game then they better get the tweaking of combat, and enemy mechanics before launch. Go watch some videos of Lost Planet 2 or something.

here's the thing. it's built around playing in teams of 4. all of which got access to different primers and detonators with different styles. (ranger single target bonus damage,storm, aoe spread,colossus aoe damage and interceptor an aura)

if you play with a dedicated team you'll soon enough figure out that there's 3 things too look out for. shields, armor & weakpoints. the 4 elements you got access to respond to those differently.

if you recognize these things you can start to look into the weak points of powerful enemies and equip your javelins accordingly. also the non primer/detonator abilities can do lots of damage so everyone running around with equal amounts of primers/detonators may not be optimal.
    Yeah, that's clear from the outset of the game on a basic level. Its not rocket science. It's not anything a normal player who plays other games hasn't seen.  It's still not a "get gud" issue.  There 's something off.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • momintimmomintim Member UncommonPosts: 108
    This is a wait and see situation for me when it comes to EA. MTX store is what I will be glaring out even if it is cosmetic.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Developers are going to have to start learning how to handle difficulty without 100% relying on arbitrary number increases. The only games that should get away with doing that are those isometric ARPG games like Diablo 3, and Torchlight Frontiers.

I know it's still early but I played the Anthem demo on hard all the way through, and it wasn't hard in the sense of a "tough challenge, I should have done this instead" it was hard in a "WTF this doesn't add up" way. So it can't be compared to Dark Souls.

By the time the demo was about to end, I had all blue level 17-19 gear and entire groups (even those showing synergy) were having to empty all their skills, and reload their firearms for one Elite mob which there were large groups of. The only alternative was to pop ultimate move(s). Parties were running out of ammo, having to exploit mob leashes and other things to clear areas.

If bullet sponge/2 shot enemies is end game then they better get the tweaking of combat, and enemy mechanics before launch. Go watch some videos of Lost Planet 2 or something.

here's the thing. it's built around playing in teams of 4. all of which got access to different primers and detonators with different styles. (ranger single target bonus damage,storm, aoe spread,colossus aoe damage and interceptor an aura)

if you play with a dedicated team you'll soon enough figure out that there's 3 things too look out for. shields, armor & weakpoints. the 4 elements you got access to respond to those differently.

if you recognize these things you can start to look into the weak points of powerful enemies and equip your javelins accordingly. also the non primer/detonator abilities can do lots of damage so everyone running around with equal amounts of primers/detonators may not be optimal.
    Yeah, that's clear from the outset of the game on a basic level. Its not rocket science. It's not anything a normal player who plays other games hasn't seen.  It's still not a "get gud" issue.  There 's something off.
    idk not to be that guy but your previous comment kind of hinted at you not really understanding how it works. which is something i've seen a lot among the critics.

MrMelGibson

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

idk not to be that guy but your previous comment kind of hinted at you not really understanding how it works. which is something i've seen a lot among the critics.

All those shield, armor and weakspots and the team balance things applies in every difficulty mode. You can ignore that stuff in easier modes, if you want to.. but it's still there. They are literally just upping the numbers for harder difficulties. 
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

All those shield, armor and weakspots and the team balance things applies in every difficulty mode. You can ignore that stuff in easier modes, if you want to.. but it's still there. They are literally just upping the numbers for harder difficulties. 
    well duh!

• Jester135Jester135 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Confused why people have an issue with the end game, sounds like how most online multiplayer game out there. Yea its nothing new, but why hate on just this one? Destiny 2 is all grinding and farming now pretty much, warframe is all grinding also. Dailies, weeklies etc. Hoping to get a better loot with the right bonuses for your build, challenge of beating a dungeon on highest difficulty.

well duh!

Well.. it sounded like you were criticising FlyByKnight for saying they need to add something other than bigger numbers... Like, you're saying there's more tactics required for harder mode. Well, there isn't. It's the same tactics and mechanics as the easier modes. 

Well you kinda are that guy, and the bubble burst is that Anthem isn't difficult in that way and doesn't require any special "get gud bro" coordination to get through.

That's the problem. It's a bullet sponge game. You can role-play skills if it makes you feel good.

I still played through all content on hard out the gate and all I noticed was the health pools and damage being annoying not challenging.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    I think it will be a bumpy road for some time while they smooth out the systems, it feels too ridgid atm and as can be seen by a lot of the comments, theres not enough variety in play styles catered for.
    You play x way or no way, wont go down well with the masses.
    Sitting this one out till it matures, then I will have another look at it.
  • MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780
    If you pay attention you can see they dropped enemy health and damage in GM3 from 3100% to 950%. Guess they took the feedback from the demo that enemies were to much of a bullet sponge.
  • DarthBumblebeeDarthBumblebee Member UncommonPosts: 14
    It would be cool if you could write an article about this:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/anlasz/no_more_pilot_skill_tree/

Bioware quietly removed the pilot skills from the game. The community is not amused ;)

Well you kinda are that guy, and the bubble burst is that Anthem isn't difficult in that way and doesn't require any special "get gud bro" coordination to get through.

That's the problem. It's a bullet sponge game. You can role-play skills if it makes you feel good.

I still played through all content on hard out the gate and all I noticed was the health pools and damage being annoying not challenging.
    well clearly you do not understand the game or are full of shit.
    to call this bullet spongey is dishonest or ignorant.. take your pick.
    MrMelGibson

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Demo was very fun. Looking forward to the highest difficulty stuff. Coming from years of RPGs and Shooters, Destiny and MMORPGs. This game looks damn fun with friends, only fear is content drought.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823

It would be cool if you could write an article about this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/anlasz/no_more_pilot_skill_tree/

Bioware quietly removed the pilot skills from the game. The community is not amused ;)

I assume if you had no pilot skills that meant flying was more difficult? You do realise that there can be absolutely nothing that is a challenge in a modern game?
    edited February 2019

well clearly you do not understand the game or are full of shit.
    to call this bullet spongey is dishonest or ignorant.. take your pick.
    Or, put away your pom poms, pull your skirt down and put your reading lenses on.

Where is anything I said dishonest? The game literally tells you what changes at each difficulty level. It's an arbitrary increase in health and damage by a percentage. The enemies don't gain any new mechanics or attacks. It's straight up vertical progression from go.

You go ahead and make believe taking down shields and pressing the right combination of buttons at the right time is some special thing on a MMORPG forum. Meanwhile what was presented in the Anthem demo is pretty straight forward

Here's something else to choke on, the demo relied too heavily on cool downs to deal damage. Looking forward to pro tips on putting the reticule on the weak spots though.
    Post edited by FlyByKnight on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033

Albatroes said:

Anthem's endgame is: dungeons, dailies+weeklies, world quests, eventually a raid. DONT FORGET THOUGH! MORE DIFFICULTIES WILL BE ADDED FOR THOSE DUNGEONS AND THAT RAID! Sorry, that needed to be caps because this is EA and....yea....Not to mention guns felt so useless. Just take them out and go full on abilities if you're going to make guns feel like crap.

The way I looked at guns in this game is like this. They are the basic attack that most MMOs have. Your left click in Tera or any other action mmo. They are not meant to be your main attack. They are filler in between your abilities and ultimate. You also work your abilities in conjunction with the other classes. Opening up combos and detonation. It's very similar to Mass Effect in that way. One person sets up a singularity, the next person uses another biotic to blow them to Hell (just an example). This game is built from the ground up as a co-op game. It's much easier and more practical when working in unison with your allies.

That's not to say guns are useless. The more difficult enemies and bosses have weak points to attack. For example the big bastards with the flamethrower and shield have a fuel tank on their back. Attack that and he goes down pretty fast. I also found the sniper rifles were pretty powerful.

Maybe because you think the voice acting is like CoD, that the game also plays like CoD?
    edited February 2019
    Mykell said:
    If you pay attention you can see they dropped enemy health and damage in GM3 from 3100% to 950%. Guess they took the feedback from the demo that enemies were to much of a bullet sponge.
    It's a good move tbh. Diablo 3 went hardcore with it's higher difficulties at launch and it was one of the worst things about the game.

GM3 needs to be hard.. but not so hard that only 1% of player base can be bothered to do it. Since the loot is based on percentage chances there would be absolutely no reason to grind GM3 when you could grind GM1 far more efficiently. There's no loot unique to GM3, as far as I know, just a higher chance. 250% chance increase of a 0.2% drop chance is only a 0.5% chance..

(No idea if the masterwork base drop chance will be 0.2% but you get the point)
  • axulthrullaxulthrull Member UncommonPosts: 42
    i loved the hell out of the demo and i cant wait for the 15th! C U ON TEH BATTELEILD!
    MrMelGibsonLeFantome
  • gandlesgandles Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I wasn't impressed by this title.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    Boss, we don't have enough content for a release… Meh, it's alright. Just include harder difficulty levels once the game has been defeated for the first time.

EA, always raising the standards!
    PhryXarkoTacticalZombeh

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I'm very skeptical about longevity and I think it will kick this game in the nuts pretty soon after release. 

Difficulty levels in looter shooters are no content. It's all just a gear check.  Just a necessary carrot on a stick.

3(only) strongholds: If the other two are similar to the one in the demo, the number is pretty damn low. Also, they are not really endgame, everyone will know them through and through by the time they reach the max level.

Exploring the world: Meeeh. This game is not an RPG where can you go on a immersive adventure. It's just a large area filled with enemies to mass murder.

Cataclysms: Hard to tell. Could be interesting, depends on how limited they are.

I liked the gameplay and enjoyed the demo, but I'm gonna wait. I suspect Anthem might be another one of those "50% sale within a month" kind of games.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I have been hoping that this is like an ARPG and have a great loot hunt. That is what I have been looking for. Warframe is great but I always feel behind there, Hated Borderlands as it just could not capture me but understand the love for it, Division is one that the main dev studio lost me but for sure was bullet sponges, and Destiny had great things but always felt shallow.

I know Anthem will get at least 2 weeks of my time as I try and see what if it fulfills what I have been looking for. I know it will have been worth my time even if I don't decide to stick with it. I had fun during the demo and if with a group of friends then probably even better. Guns did their job in my opinion but did seem like abilities were very important. Shields seemed the hardest things as they could regen so fast when changing clips.
    Can anybody explain what the whole "you're leaving the mission area" thing is about. That was something that worked my nerves a bit.
    Xarko

¯\_(ツ)_/¯