Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anthem Devs Dish on Endgame in Gameplay Series, Part 2 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2019 in Videos Discussion

imageAnthem Devs Dish on Endgame in Gameplay Series, Part 2 - MMORPG.com

The Anthem team has published the second video in an ongoing series devoted to gameplay. In this edition, they speak about Anthem's endgame that will include harder difficulty levels once the game has been defeated for the first time, new contracts and legendary contracts, daily-weekly-monthly challenges and much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484
    Casual is good.
    Octagon7711Mr.Gutsy
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited February 2019
    Anthem's endgame is: dungeons, dailies+weeklies, world quests, eventually a raid. DONT FORGET THOUGH! MORE DIFFICULTIES WILL BE ADDED FOR THOSE DUNGEONS AND THAT RAID! Sorry, that needed to be caps because this is EA and....yea....Not to mention guns felt so useless. Just take them out and go full on abilities if you're going to make guns feel like crap.
    Vexiusx[Deleted User]
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Wow this game looks amazing! Very impressive! I don't normally pre-order....but im glad i did with this game!!
    Vexiusx[Deleted User]exile01XarkoZeneren
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

Albatroes said:

Anthem's endgame is: dungeons, dailies+weeklies, world quests, eventually a raid. DONT FORGET THOUGH! MORE DIFFICULTIES WILL BE ADDED FOR THOSE DUNGEONS AND THAT RAID! Sorry, that needed to be caps because this is EA and....yea....Not to mention guns felt so useless. Just take them out and go full on abilities if you're going to make guns feel like crap.

Well guns aren't as important as the abilities when it comes to this game. I don't know why you had to put the added difficulty in all caps because of EA but I am sure there is some explanation out there.
    Octagon7711gervaise1MrMelGibson

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• Mr.GutsyMr.Gutsy Member UncommonPosts: 87
    This is what I got out of the video.

After the story campaigns, you should think of yourself as a skilled and experienced pilot warrior for hire to complete jobs for cash to buy shiny things. They are hoping the combat, visuals, customization, and the feel of flying will get you to log back in.

The story will slowly progress when new npcs are added to the game. The new npcs will bring new mission objectives.

To enjoy the multi-leveled difficulties, you have to be someone that likes ridiculous challenges. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, any game with nightmare difficulties.

• NitemareMMONitemareMMO Member UncommonPosts: 239

Voidfarer said:

Wow this game looks amazing! Very impressive! I don't normally pre-order....but im glad i did with this game!!

Imagine they would sell all copies and we would need to wait on new batch.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    I've seen most - if not all - the mobs from the clip in the demo. As if they've demo-ed the whole game. Or nothing else is ready for presentation.

Thank you for your time!

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    they've also added a Roadmap.
    Voidfarer

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I just cannot get past Anthem’s atrocious voice acting. This is something I would expect from a Call of Duty game, not BioWare.

The bullet sponge enemies are also worse than the Division’s by a landslide. It took me about 30 minutes of gameplay to say “F this” and purge it from my hard drive.

At least the flying is fun?
    [Deleted User]LastlaughlolMrMelGibson
  • GendarkGendark Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I am in, played 33h only in the demo and I want to play something new with a good item hunt, also flying was really good.

The road map seems decent.
    [Deleted User]ShadowStyleBLastlaughlolMrMelGibsonZeneren
    I just cannot get past Anthem’s atrocious voice acting. This is something I would expect from a Call of Duty game, not BioWare.

The bullet sponge enemies are also worse than the Division’s by a landslide. It took me about 30 minutes of gameplay to say “F this” and purge it from my hard drive.

you definitely played the game way way wrong if you thought it was more bullet spongey than the division. just yesterday i was watching a video of a guy unloading clip after clip into trash mobs wearing nothing but street clothes.

you got to know the difference between shields and armor and apply the right primers & detonators. it's not your typical shooter. it's mechanics are more rpg related i guess?
    moshraShadowStyleBLastlaughlolMrMelGibsonThaharSolar_Prophet

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Albatroes said:

Well guns aren't as important as the abilities when it comes to this game. I don't know why you had to put the added difficulty in all caps because of EA but I am sure there is some explanation out there.

Yeah, the key to this game, combos off of skills. Weapons are filler between cooldowns and the unexpected. I'd prefer a choice in which weapons or skills or both are equally viable. But the devs seem to have their own ideas of how players should play the game like always flying around water to extend flight. Rain should eliminate that but not in the demo, perhaps in the actual game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Developers are going to have to start learning how to handle difficulty without 100% relying on arbitrary number increases. The only games that should get away with doing that are those isometric ARPG games like Diablo 3, and Torchlight Frontiers.

I know it's still early but I played the Anthem demo on hard all the way through, and it wasn't hard in the sense of a "tough challenge, I should have done this instead" it was hard in a "WTF this doesn't add up" way. So it can't be compared to Dark Souls.

By the time the demo was about to end, I had all blue level 17-19 gear and entire groups (even those showing synergy) were having to empty all their skills, and reload their firearms for one Elite mob which there were large groups of. The only alternative was to pop ultimate move(s). Parties were running out of ammo, having to exploit mob leashes and other things to clear areas.

If bullet sponge/2 shot enemies is end game then they better get the tweaking of combat, and enemy mechanics before launch. Go watch some videos of Lost Planet 2 or something.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Albatroes said:
    Anthem's WoW's endgame is: dungeons, dailies+weeklies, world quests, eventually a raid. DONT FORGET THOUGH! MORE DIFFICULTIES WILL BE ADDED FOR THOSE DUNGEONS AND THAT RAID! Sorry, that needed to be caps because this is EA Blizzard
    I could copy paste this for Destiny and a lot more games as well. Its pretty common stuff.

The key differences are e.g. how often are content drops?; do you have to pay for the content?; do you have to pay monthly to play the game? etc. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Developers are going to have to start learning how to handle difficulty without 100% relying on arbitrary number increases. The only games that should get away with doing that are those isometric ARPG games like Diablo 3, and Torchlight Frontiers.

I know it's still early but I played the Anthem demo on hard all the way through, and it wasn't hard in the sense of a "tough challenge, I should have done this instead" it was hard in a "WTF this doesn't add up" way. So it can't be compared to Dark Souls.

By the time the demo was about to end, I had all blue level 17-19 gear and entire groups (even those showing synergy) were having to empty all their skills, and reload their firearms for one Elite mob which there were large groups of. The only alternative was to pop ultimate move(s). Parties were running out of ammo, having to exploit mob leashes and other things to clear areas.

If bullet sponge/2 shot enemies is end game then they better get the tweaking of combat, and enemy mechanics before launch. Go watch some videos of Lost Planet 2 or something.

I noticed during a lot of the interviews with the devs and streamer videos it was often repeated the numbers were still being worked out and some were just 'place holders'. It may take them a while to balance those numbers out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 484

Yeah! A thug in a hoodie soaking up 100 bullets before hitting the ground makes total sense!

A high tech space alien energy shield soaking up bullets is ridiculous!

The madness!
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I noticed during a lot of the interviews with the devs and streamer videos it was often repeated the numbers were still being worked out and some were just 'place holders'. It may take them a while to balance those numbers out.

I hope so, but I just don't see them changing something that's baked into the core mechanics of the game. They're going to mess with the modifiers and then some people will say "It's too easy now".

Mechanics are what makes game play interesting at all levels. I didn't see too many mechanics beyond the bug boss at the stronghold level or typical weak spot shooting. Each creature in the bestiary needs to have it's own "thing" and some mechanic that challenges the player differently.

Also the spawning had no rhyme or reason it was an infinite loop and very silly. Players were some how accomplishing goals of clearing mobs to get after a mini-boss only to have infinite waves randomly spawn right on top of them.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Gendark said:

I am in, played 33h only in the demo and I want to play something new with a good item hunt, also flying was really good.

The road map seems decent.

33 hours in the demo? i played 3 and felt that was enough to know im glad i preordered.

here's the thing. it's built around playing in teams of 4. all of which got access to different primers and detonators with different styles. (ranger single target bonus damage,storm, aoe spread,colossus aoe damage and interceptor an aura)

if you play with a dedicated team you'll soon enough figure out that there's 3 things too look out for. shields, armor & weakpoints. the 4 elements you got access to respond to those differently.

if you recognize these things you can start to look into the weak points of powerful enemies and equip your javelins accordingly. also the non primer/detonator abilities can do lots of damage so everyone running around with equal amounts of primers/detonators may not be optimal.
    MrMelGibson

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Albatroes said:

The game is clearly an action RPG, not a shooter. I know everyone thinks it's a shooter like Warframe and Destiny, but it's not.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    edited February 2019

Mr.Gutsy said:

This is what I got out of the video.

After the story campaigns, you should think of yourself as a skilled and experienced pilot warrior for hire to complete jobs for cash to buy shiny things. They are hoping the combat, visuals, customization, and the feel of flying will get you to log back in.

The story will slowly progress when new npcs are added to the game. The new npcs will bring new mission objectives.

To enjoy the multi-leveled difficulties, you have to be someone that likes ridiculous challenges. Dark Souls, Bloodborne, any game with nightmare difficulties.

Actually it reminds me more of the structure in Diablo 3.

Fits with the way they are doing loot, too, where the loot makes the build. The increases in Diablo seemed insane... like +4000% enemy health and damage lol.... until you got geared up enough and melted through that too!
    raduuMrMelGibson
    Honestly, it sounds like they are relying on difficulty too much as an excuse for more to do. Repeating the same thing over and over again with higher numbers for endgame is going to cause an absolutely massive drop off in player numbers once people have completed the story.

I'm hyped to play the full game and can't wait to play more of it.. but I'll probably end up buying Forsaken for Destiny when I reach the endgame in Anthem. The content looks less than Destiny 1 had; 1 free roam map and 3 Strongholds. That's it.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:

Albatroes said:

The game is clearly an action RPG, not a shooter. I know everyone thinks it's a shooter like Warframe and Destiny, but it's not.
    Thank you. I didn't want to be that guy, but this game is not a shooter at all. It's billed as one, but it's an action RPG. The Division is barely a shooter and I think a good argument could be made for it also being an action RPG. The thing is, the gunplay in Division feels more like shooter gun play.

I'm not sure if there is an actual technical line, like rng skill checks versus twitch and physics. Maybe some systems hybrid, but in the end it comes down to game play feel for me. @Aeander mentioned there is a scarcity of actual looter shooters and in multiplayer I think that's true. Maybe that's why Borderlands 2 and Warframe are still so popular. Single player has more options for item chasing, especially for old school shooters like DOOM and Hexen.
    Hmm interesting to me is the Warframe comment .. Does it have the same lvl of Item chasing and Random items as Borderlands ?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:

Albatroes said:

Thank you. I didn't want to be that guy, but this game is not a shooter at all. It's billed as one, but it's an action RPG. The Division is barely a shooter and I think a good argument could be made for it also being an action RPG. The thing is, the gunplay in Division feels more like shooter gun play.

I'm not sure if there is an actual technical line, like rng skill checks versus twitch and physics. Maybe some systems hybrid, but in the end it comes down to game play feel for me. @Aeander mentioned there is a scarcity of actual looter shooters and in multiplayer I think that's true. Maybe that's why Borderlands 2 and Warframe are still so popular. Single player has more options for item chasing, especially for old school shooters like DOOM and Hexen.
    Hmm interesting to me is the Warframe comment .. Does it have the same lvl of Item chasing and Random items as Borderlands ?
    No. Warframe has primarily crafting based loot, as every weapon and warframe is crafted from one time use blueprints and parts.
    edited February 2019

Scorchien said:

Torval said:

Albatroes said:

Yes but it's all bout the Mods, not the guns. It's not very random though.