Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning to MMORPG - Looking at options...

Greetings!  I am interested in returning to PC based game play from a long hiatus due to work, life, and everything else.  Over the years I have played just about everything, but the following were my games of focus:

Ultima Online (Spent a lot of time here)
SWG (Pre and Post)
Anarchy Online
Age of Conan (Spent a lot of time here)
SWtOR

(GuildWars2, Elder Scrolls Online, Black Desert Online, Shroud of the Avatar were all tried / purchased but never got into them)

To be completely honest, Age of Conan and SWG were my favorite modern games.  I'm looking for a game with an open environment, open PvP (within reason and/or zone), a fast moving system, and interesting character progression.

I've considered going back into GW2, ESO, and BDO to see if any of those strike me as options, but haven't had the heart to download them.  Are there any games coming out soon, in Beta, or already available that may be a good option?  

On my short list...Ashes of Creation, Chronicles of Elyria, and Camelot Unchained.  Thoughts on these and/or other recommendations?  Thanks!

Keeco

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Did you try Ark?  To me it seems kind of similar to Age of Conan.
    Gdemami
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    edited February 2019
    Ark is on sale now on steam for 20 bucks. im || close to buying it.

Age of conan is still going. 

You could try project gorgon. Conan exiles is interesting.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Finding an active Ark server with settings you like is challenging, but there are some really great mods for it (the PC version, not the console version).
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    While there seems to be a lot of Open World PvP games on the market, if that is your thing, none of them seem to be popular or have taken off, so you will have to deal with limited population and lack of support.

I really can't suggest a game for you, as the games you say you liked the most I have barely played, so I don't have a good frame of reference to suggest something to you. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    To be completely honest, Age of Conan and SWG were my favorite modern games.
    As Cryo mentioned above, AoC is still there, actually in the recent months it just had a full-on open pvp progression server event - unfortunate timing for you that it will be over soon...
    Since those characters will transfer to Fury (the pvp server of AoC) probably you can meet a decent population there, in case you decide to go back.

(Ark is similar to Conan Exiles, and not to AoC @sunandshadow ; :wink: )
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    legend of aria.  You can buy early access and play now.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited February 2019
    Greetings! 

To be completely honest, Age of Conan and SWG were my favorite modern games.  I'm looking for a ga

On my short list...Ashes of Creation, Chronicles of Elyria, and Camelot Unchained.  Thoughts on these and/or other recommendations?  Thanks!

Keeco

Your two favorite games launched over  10 or more years ago so you are well aware I'm sure there's not been much like them ever since.

BDO would be my recommendation based on recent write ups by several posters here recently.  (Not my style of game)

As for the three indie titles mentioned unless Ashes Apocalypse BR mode (ABR) is of interest you likely won't see Ashes the MMO (AtM) or the other two in 2019.

COE is likely no sooner than end of 2022 or beyond based on lack of evidence that  they are making any real development progress.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I would say eso, but you already said you didnt like it.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.