Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Cyberbullying Needs To Be Highlighted On Safer Internet Day (Sponsored) - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWhy Cyberbullying Needs To Be Highlighted On Safer Internet Day (Sponsored) - MMORPG.com

With cyberbullying becoming so widespread, Safer Internet Day 2019 presents us with the perfect opportunity to talk about the growing cybercrime and how to keep our children safe against it.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

MadFrenchie

Comments

• WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    it creates a stronger person to deal with intense bullying or harassment. if you don't understand how to interact and react to negative input, it will be your weakness -- and transitionally passed weakness to your children through personality. harassment/bullying will only get worse as technology improves and social interaction increases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_sink
    DaranarCyberFrogPher0ciousOrthelianGdemamiKooturbwwianakiev
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    While a couple of my children suffered from some real life bullying they largely missed the new era of Cyber bullying for which I am grateful.

I realize my response will seem simplistic but would not one response be to limit children's access to cell phones until they are a bit older, or at least access to social media?

I can't talk, gave my son a cell phone at 10 yrs old, but again social media wasn't yet the scourge it has become and my son was never much into it until later in high school.
    Slapshot1188GdemamiLackingMMO

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    It is not true that it creates a stronger person. I'm speaking from experience about violent homes that included multiple hospital visits. All it does is creates an individual who is very much afraid of living and growing up while under such circumstances damages you beyond anything anyone of you can imagine without having gone thorough that fear. 

You don't need bad experiences to be stronger. That is just something survivors tell each other and other people. 
    Kylerantweedledumb99Interitus[Deleted User]GruntykitaradbwwianakievLiljnaJeleena
    Chamber of Chains
  • WoeToTheVanquishedWoeToTheVanquished Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited February 2019
    cheyane said:
    It is not true that it creates a stronger person. I'm speaking from experience about violent homes that included multiple hospital visits. All it does is creates an individual who is very much afraid of living and growing up while under such circumstances damages you beyond anything anyone of you can imagine without having gone thorough that fear. 

You don't need bad experiences to be stronger. That is just something survivors tell each other and other people. 
    being assaulted by your family is terrible, but it can easily come to an end through legal recourse and separation. harassment from the internet may never end, as some people will swat you, steal your identity and ruin your credit (leaked databases or social engineered tactics), get you fired from your job through lies and slander, and continue this trend until you stop being a viable target. 

edit: you're correct that it creates a fearful person, but that's why you need to understand it to overcome it. 
    Gdemamibwwianakiev
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is what you make of it yourself.I couldn't care less what someone says about me,so why would it bother others?

The real problem stems from the real life,problems at school,gangs,it is not the internet that is causing it ,it is the real people that threaten violence,REAL violence not nonsense kiddie talk with words.
    Here is an idea for starters,get the hell off of Facebook and get rid of those cell phones.People cause their own dilemma then when stressed out lay the blame on others and the go to word of the era is bullying.
    I seen it all from people calling others trolls to haters and now those immature minds use the crutch of bullying.

So what happens is the immature kid starts or creates a problem,then when someone fires back,they quickly call it bullying.Nothing has changed only the venue used.back in the day there were not many but a few punk as kids who would do nothing but cause shit then it is the old "i'm telling the teacher or i'm telling my dad" or my Brother ,whatever,the were telling somebody and NEVER the whole truth.

If people are going to cause shit,they had better be able to take it when it comes back,that is all i have to say,problem is those causing shit can't take it.Too many minds corrupted by TV and social media,get the hell out of the house and play some sports or do something active.
    WoeToTheVanquished

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    edited February 2019
    Theres difference between being bullied for few days/weeks and being bullied for years. To this day I get flashbacks. This happened only in school for me, but I can understand that cyberbullying is just another form of bullying.
    Kyleran
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    As someone who put up with this shit for a long time I can speak from experience here.  No we dont need a SAFE internet from Bullying.   People need to grow thicker skin and tell people to fuck off.   You know what?  When I started standing up for myself my sophomore year of  high school from being picked on my entire life, things got easier because when the guys who were picking on me ended up with a broken nose they backed off.  Yes I got my head kicked in more times than I remembered.  However even though I lost, the person pushing me around ended up gaining respect from me for standing up for myself.  

People need to stop letting other people get to them.  We are not 5 years old here.  If there is Target harassment get the police involved.  If you get upset because some teenagers are running around a video game online saying they are going to PWN fags like they did in that one video you dont belong on the internet.   The Internet nor is life a SAFE place.   You need to deal with people and stop becoming offended about shit.    
    [Deleted User]XarkoOrthelianGdemami
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I agree with efforts to push back against cyber bulling.

That said, it is odd to me that with a space as big as the internet that anyone would expose themselves to it.  Every modern social media platform allows you to either ignore or selectively include people - if someone is unreasonable and mean, turn off their access to you.

I've been driven out of internet communities before (accused of cheating).  I thought these people were my friends, someone got owned in UT, and suddenly I was out.  It wasn't a good feeling but the internet is a big place and much like the real world you gotta find your people.
    KyleranOrthelian
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    I could deal with the nonsense that I experienced in middle school much better now as an adult than I did at the time. Teenagers and younger children don't think like adults - which also explains the pointless cruelty of bullies, who are usually their peers.   They therefore need practical advice - about things like boundaries and perspective - and I welcome initiatives like this to help educate them.
    KyleranLiljnaBig.Daddy.Samedi
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Cyberbullying can be a real issue for kids and teenagers when we are talking about their class, school and such. It's basically the same as regular bulling except it's through social media.

Cyberbulling in gaming? Ehhh....no.
    Orthelian
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited February 2019
    danwest58 said:
    As someone who put up with this shit for a long time I can speak from experience here.  No we dont need a SAFE internet from Bullying.   People need to grow thicker skin and tell people to fuck off.   You know what?  When I started standing up for myself my sophomore year of  high school from being picked on my entire life, things got easier because when the guys who were picking on me ended up with a broken nose they backed off.  Yes I got my head kicked in more times than I remembered.  However even though I lost, the person pushing me around ended up gaining respect from me for standing up for myself.  

People need to stop letting other people get to them.  We are not 5 years old here.  If there is Target harassment get the police involved.  If you get upset because some teenagers are running around a video game online saying they are going to PWN fags like they did in that one video you dont belong on the internet.   The Internet nor is life a SAFE place.   You need to deal with people and stop becoming offended about shit.    

You're actually missing the point. What you're describing is old school bullying. When the bullying was over, it stopped. With cyberbullying, the child could be harassed for years, and it's not just words. Some bullies have taken photos to harass the person,  and the photo is out there for all to see; some of the photos that they take of the minor could be criminal (I think you know where I'm going here.) 

It's just not the same; most people experience bullying in school. I'm thankful that when I was going to school; it was before every kid in the class had a cellphone. I didn't miss it by a lot, but enough that cyberbullying really wasn't a thing when I was going to school.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    danwest58 said:

You cannot box your way out of a situation where they have pictures of you from the toilet and these are girls from your own school who take these pictures of other girls, then they threaten to expose those photos. This can go on for months while they extort you. You have no idea the magnitude of this problem and how vicious the blackmailers are. Out of shame some girls commit suicide.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711KyleranLiljnaMadFrenchie

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    danwest58 said:
    As someone who put up with this shit for a long time I can speak from experience here.  No we dont need a SAFE internet from Bullying.  
    Why should we have a society that is "ok" with persecuting others?
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Orthelian
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    Children can be mean and viscous. Adults can be mean, viscous, and very dangerous.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    To boost self confidence and self respect put kids in a martial arts school.  It's the best thing that ever happened to me when I was young.  A good school will teach it's not about fighting, it's about not being a bully nor a victim.
    SovrathKyleranXarkoGdemami

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    kitarad said:
    danwest58 said:

You cannot box your way out of a situation where they have pictures of you from the toilet and these are girls from your own school who take these pictures of other girls, then they threaten to expose those photos. This can go on for months while they extort you. You have no idea the magnitude of this problem and how vicious the blackmailers are. Out of shame some girls commit suicide.
    This is the kind of stuff that I was hinting at.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

The good ol days when bullying was done to your face and you could punch the person. Now its hide behind a keyboard and make someone else feel insignificant.

I like my 11 yr olds approach and if someone is mean to her online she either a) blocks them or b) removes herself from the site to avoid the issue. She will not engage to make it worse but simply removes the problem. I used to think she was over sensitive but here lately I think she may be the reincarnation of yoda.

Your child is smart.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

danwest58 said:

You're actually missing the point. What you're describing is old school bullying. When the bullying was over, it stopped. With cyberbullying, the child could be harassed for years, and it's not just words. Some bullies have taken photos to harass the person,  and the photo is out there for all to see; some of the photos that they take of the minor could be criminal (I think you know where I'm going here.) 

It's just not the same; most people experience bullying in school. I'm thankful that when I was going to school; it was before every kid in the class had a cellphone. I didn't miss it by a lot, but enough that cyberbullying really wasn't a thing when I was going to school.

Read where I said that if its harassment you get the law involved. That is where criminal charges are filed and a stiff punishment should be given to these kids. As a Father of 2 daughters, if one of them did something to another kid like you said I would take her phone from her and smash it with a hammer right in front of her. I would take her internet away for months, and maybe even smash her computer. Then again I believe in tough love for people like this. A Judge could suspend the teenagers licenses if they are old enough to drive, they also could order the parents of the child to sell the kids car and there are other punishments out there that can deter this kind of behavior.

The problem I have is this, we have become a soft society today that we consider calling someone a fagot bullying. We feel the need to punish the person that offended people. Instead of looking at the situation as it is. Someone saying something and ignoring it. We take that one situation to the extreme that a personal like me who had been bullied for years who can sympathize with people who have been that I think the problem is the person being bullied. This is because I been called all kinds of things and 99% of the bullshit didnt bother me. Now when I was pushed, hit, had a basket ball thrown at my head, hand slammed into a locker, I fought back. I learned fast because of my last name how to Ignore shit. I could even ignore is someone posted a bullshit picture of me because I have better things to do with my time. I grew a really thick skin to shit.
    Gdemami
  • WargfootYVWargfootYV Member UncommonPosts: 261
    I'm a little wary of how bullying will be defined and what the enforcement options.

For example, using certain racial slurs would be considered bullying - and I agree, you shouldn't be calling people names; however, if you disagree with someone they can call you a racist, which is arguably the worst thing you can call a person, and it seems to be an okay thing to do.

So if a transgendered teen puts up a picture and you mock it are you going to get punished while at the same time you can call a teen in a MAGA hat anything in the book?

Don't get wrapped up in the specific examples - I'm not here to talk politics other than to say I'm concerned that anti-bullying moves will become politicized and just another enforcement tool of certain political viewpoints.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I'm a little wary of how bullying will be defined and what the enforcement options.

For example, using certain racial slurs would be considered bullying - and I agree, you shouldn't be calling people names; however, if you disagree with someone they can call you a racist, which is arguably the worst thing you can call a person, and it seems to be an okay thing to do.

So if a transgendered teen puts up a picture and you mock it are you going to get punished while at the same time you can call a teen in a MAGA hat anything in the book?

Don't get wrapped up in the specific examples - I'm not here to talk politics other than to say I'm concerned that anti-bullying moves will become politicized and just another enforcement tool of certain political viewpoints.
    How about just don't mock it?

Some people might say it makes a person stronger. Well, learning how to deal with adversity can do that. But what about teaching a person integrity and strength of character so that they just don't attack others, whether physical or verbal.

That too is a type of strength.

I don't agree with what everyone does and I sure don't like what everyone does but I don't really ever find myself in a position where I have to verbally attack someone. Who the f**k does that?
    Gdemami
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Cyber bullying is not just about kids bullying kids. It’s also about adults blackmailing kids. Read about the sad case of Amanda Todd a girl who was once a classmate of one of my sons. 

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Sovrath said:

How about just don't mock it?

Some people might say it makes a person stronger. Well, learning how to deal with adversity can do that. But what about teaching a person integrity and strength of character so that they just don't attack others, whether physical or verbal.

That too is a type of strength.

I don't agree with what everyone does and I sure don't like what everyone does but I don't really ever find myself in a position where I have to verbally attack someone. Who the f**k does that?
    Err... bullies?  ;)
    Grunty

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I'm not concerned about bullies, then again I don't celebrate safer internet day.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited February 2019
    It depends greatly on the severity. If someone online says something somewhat rude to you, deal with it. Welcome to life. That happens sometimes.

Far more severe things like swatting, death threats, or digital lynch mobs trying to get people fired need to stop, though.
    KyleranSovrathMadFrenchie
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Cyberbullying is so stupid.

Just log off. Boom no bullying.
    Gdemami