Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Division 2 – Time for End Game - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited February 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Division 2 – Time for End Game - MMORPG.com

The Division 2 and its nearly 50 hours of game play is only the beginning. players should expect invasion missions, strongholds, occupied guard zones, roaming caravans of enemies, a living world system, specializations, 8-person raids, and a special end-game-only faction called the Black Tusks, which will surely create problems as they permeate the living world and the accompanying end game missions.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

Looking better and better as hopefully they did learn from the early days of the first game.

Hoping the weekend beta will be better shape than the Anthem demo.

I agree, since Anthem seams to be a lost cause in terms of life span. I got my hopes on The Division 2, I really loved how the first one looked when it came out and sadly due to the lack of endgame, I stopped when hitting max level even though the game was fun in itself and got better over patches. But i never got to picking it up again, this on the other hand got me peaked with a small spoon of hype.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    This is just a division DLC priced in as a full game.
    RhygarthSadfist3domkinkyJalepenoOzmodan

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Spiider said:
    One hell of a DLC. A whole new city, with features the original never had and twice the story content of the original, and three times the end game content.  That's a DLC that deserves the price.
    RhygarthSadfist[Deleted User]Octagon7711TacticalZombehinfomatzSamhael

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

Spiider said:

One hell of a DLC. A whole new city, with features the original never had and twice the story content of the original, and three times the end game content.  That's a DLC that deserves the price.

What features TD1 does not have? So far literally everything I heard about TD2 also describes TD1 - except location.

And it's rather easy to get storyline twice longer than in TD1 because it's like 20 hours long (main story without side quests). Especially when you do it using the same engine and only slightly modified assets.

Thank you for your time!

3dom said:

Spiider said:

What features TD1 does not have? So far literally everything I heard about TD2 also describes TD1 - except location.

And it's rather easy to get storyline twice longer than in TD1 because it's like 20 hours long (main story without side quests). Especially when you do it using the same engine and only slightly modified assets.
    If I were you I'd probably read the articles. It would answer those questions.  Specializations, the new living worldsystem (much different than the first), a guild system, separate Dark Zones with optional PvP, decreased kill times, world building which includes building factions that actually provide support in battle, 8 person raids, and I'm sure there's plenty more.

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited February 2019
    > decreased kill times

So - few numbers changed in database? Everything else is just amended existing mechanics of TD1 - like "building factions that actually provide support in battle": NPCs "help" in TD1 too if you didn't play it.

So far all I heard from Massive team is just language gymnastics to explain why do they use "The Division 2" name for a slightly modified version of TD1? I mean - besides their wish to charge a price of full game for the DLC-like "second" version.

All they have to do to turn TD1 into TD2 - besides map - is to raise limit of players to 8 in incursions, decrease amount of hitpoints on NPCs, add a bit less ugly character faces. Few weeks of work, maybe. "Specializations" are presented already in form of armor sets - gameplay is completely different for Nomad, D3, Striker, Banshee sets.

Thank you for your time!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited February 2019
    Is there anything else to Division beyond cover based shooting? Anything interesting happen in-between gun fights? Is the story really interesting or something? It looks like it plays like a boring less sci-fi version Gears of War.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    3dom said:
    > decreased kill times

So - few numbers changed in database? Everything else is just amended existing mechanics of TD1 - like "building factions that actually provide support in battle": NPCs "help" in TD1 too if you didn't play it.

So far all I heard from Massive team is just language gymnastics to explain why do they use "The Division 2" name for a slightly modified version of TD1? I mean - besides their wish to charge a price of full game for the DLC-like "second" version.

All they have to do to turn TD1 into TD2 - besides map - is to raise limit of players to 8 in incursions, decrease amount of hitpoints on NPCs, add a bit less ugly character faces. Few weeks of work, maybe. "Specializations" are presented already in form of armor sets - gameplay is completely different for Nomad, D3, Striker, Banshee sets.
    If that's your argument, what's the purpose of any sequel to any game ever? You essentially just explained how sequels work.  What's the difference between Oblivion and Skyrim? Updated character models? A change in the way some spells work? Adding dragon enemies?  

What's the difference between Halo 1 and and Halo 2? They could have just added an online multiplayer DLC.  

No new games should ever be created because you can just update old ones with DLC, regardless if it utilizes a modified engine, changes the legacy game entirely, adds completely new elements, or has updates in every way. 

I think that's pretty silly.  You can trivialize what needs to happen to do certain things if it somehow fits your specific agenda that TD1 didn't need a sequel, but I'm looking forward to the sequel. 

I'm not going to explain the specifics of every new feature just so you can wave them off. Nobody is asking you to play it if you don't want to.
    TacticalZombeh

edited February 2019
    Is there anything else to Division beyond cover based shooting? Anything interesting happen in-between gun fights? Is the story really interesting or something? It looks like it plays like a boring less sci-fi version Gears of War.
    It is primarily a cover shooter rpg like Gears of War. The story is pretty good. As cover based shooting is the primary emphasis of game play, I'm not sure what else you'd really be looking for. It's supposed to be more of a "realistic" take on a modern day "post apoc" cover shooter. There is crafting and base building, PvP, but if cover shooters don't interest you, I'd say you should pass.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    It is primarily a cover shooter rpg like Gears of War. The story is pretty good. As cover based shooting is the primary emphasis of game play, I'm not sure what else you'd really be looking for. It's supposed to be more of a "realistic" take on a modern day "post apoc" cover shooter. There is crafting and base building, PvP, but if cover shooters don't interest you, I'd say you should pass.
    Well I actually found the Gears of Wars series to be pretty awesome but the best parts were the sci-fi fictional aspects. Also on a gameplay level it was entertaining with the roadie running, the sliding, chainsaw kills, chainsaw and 1v1 duels etc. I'm assuming there's nothing comparable in The Division due to the need for more realism.

What I keep seeing in Division/Divsion 2 videos is a group of 4 people entering a room the enemy entering from the side. Peek-a-boo pew pew pew. Large bullet sponge enters the room pew pew pew, move to next location. All very methodical (and boring looking as a stand-alone). Is there any tempo changes, any disruption to the typical game play? Does it have something else?

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Spiider said:

I could see if this expanded New York but a game that covers 50 hours in another city is hard to call a DLC. You might as well say every game after the original Splinter Cell was just a DLC because it was a continuation of the same style of gameplay.
    maskedweasel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Well I actually found the Gears of Wars series to be pretty awesome but the best parts were the sci-fi fictional aspects. Also on a gameplay level it was entertaining with the roadie running, the sliding, chainsaw kills, chainsaw and 1v1 duels etc. I'm assuming there's nothing comparable in The Division due to the need for more realism.

What I keep seeing in Division/Divsion 2 videos is a group of 4 people entering a room the enemy entering from the side. Peek-a-boo pew pew pew. Large bullet sponge enters the room pew pew pew, move to next location. All very methodical (and boring looking as a stand-alone). Is there any tempo changes, any disruption to the typical game play? Does it have something else?

Well, there's RPG archetypes. We've seen healing drones and things like that. That's the main difference between TD2 and GoW, GoW is more of a TPS without any real RPG mechanics. In TD2, there's a lot of RNG on drops, min-maxing and all that.  It's also more of a tactical squad based thing, GoW has some of those elements, but TD2 would be very boring as a solo endeavor. 

The weapons are also downplayed a lot. As far as I've seen there aren't any chainsaw blades, and shotguns aren't going to blow someones head off (though they could remove a helmet or body armor quickly I'm sure).  

In comparison to the run and gun of GoW there may be less of an emphasis on run and gun and more of a focus on tactical cover.  In GoW I remember mowing down enemies at close range with shotties, getting up close and personal with OHK chainsaws, and PvP essentially being, who will get to the big weapons first for the instakills.  Despite them balancing that out, I don't think they'll forsake gear entirely in TD2.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Wait so this is a mmo with only 50 hours of gameplay? or am I missing something here.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Siveria said:
    Wait so this is a mmo with only 50 hours of gameplay? or am I missing something here.
    Not an MMO
    Shared world cover shooter. 50 hours of leveling/story game play.  Infinite end game obviously. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    As bad as the first game was, I would be surprised if this game is that much better.
    [Deleted User]
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Could always just wait for a free weekend.  Ubisoft usually have those to promote their games from time to time.  That's how they got me with D1.
    maskedweasel

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey